View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 clear bases - transparent is the new black 
Mini-Boss

I just ordered clear bases for RRI. I was thinking about the lack of structure on the bases and decided to just rebase the miniatures. $50 is enough for everything except the double bots. Since it will take me ages to paint these, if I even manage to finish or rather start before SD :L arrives, this should not be a problem.

August 26th, 2017, 7:37 pm
Minion

Do you have any suggestions on how to removie the miniatures from their base? I also want to add a little bit of texture to the base than what it has right now. The sand and flock of grass does not go well with the theme of them on a space train.

August 26th, 2017, 8:15 pm
Bottle Cap

you could use screen, or sanding mesh...glued over the base will resemble metal flooring

August 26th, 2017, 8:54 pm
Minion

You could try to snap the base from the mini sprue (try to fold it in half away from the mini) I haven't done it with spm minis but has worked for 40k in the past. Or take an exacto knife and carefully wiggle it across the bottom of the figure (little more dangerous but it works)

as for decoration look up space hulk bases or sci-fi bases on google some cardstock and chickenwire material/granny grating (stuff people use for crossstitching) makes some convincing steel grating

hope it helps

August 26th, 2017, 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Yup, I am looking to add either steel grating, wood, or a sci fi-theme floor pattern using some texture stamps I have. I kind of want to reuse the bases and put the texture on it, so i think I will try the xacto life method first.

August 26th, 2017, 11:17 pm
Minion

If you can get a piece of screen door, the mesh makes great grating for figures this size. Just cut out a round shape base sized, cover the base in a layer of white glue and stick it on.

August 27th, 2017, 4:19 am
Bottle Cap

I'm thinking of possibly using clear bases with cutouts from a deck of playing cards for the bases. Keeping the poker theme and all...

August 27th, 2017, 7:02 am
Mini-Boss

While i will stick with just clear due to simplicity, there are ready sci-fi bases to be bought.

August 27th, 2017, 10:21 am
Minion

I was able to remove the miniatures from the base while keeping the base mostly intact (can't tell that it was cut unless you look underneath the base). I used my plastic clipper on the cavity underneath the base in which the miniature was slotted into. The miniature slot is not as deep as the cavity which seems to be filled mostly with adhesive. After clipping it away, the miniature was easily pried off of base and can still be slotted back onto the base. Now to pick a type of texture I want for the base...

September 6th, 2017, 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]