View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 25th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Fibretip's Rail Raiders - UPDATE - 3D Train Tiles 
Bottle Cap

Hey all,

I'm not sure why individual forums for painting etc haven't been set up for RRI yet but I thought I would post here instead as I have just started painting my set. I haven't played a game yet as I like to wait until I've got everything painted.

I was pretty disapointed with the bases (Spoiled by SDE and NAS I guess!) so I decided to spruce them up a little. I didn't fancy cutting the models off the bases though as they have such tiny feet so I decided to just keep it simple and build up some features with plasticard. I also scratched some relief detail into the plastic of the base with a file.

By no means finished but I had a couple of hours to spare today so decided to get started with The Kid. I wasn't a fan of the red in the card art so went with a blue check shirt and denim jeans instead.

I'm finding the fine details a little soft compared to the SDE models that I'm used to. The guns for example aren't very defined. I was hoping to paint the glowing six shooter parts like the card art but I'm not sure I'll bother.... we will see.

Last edited by fibretip on May 11th, 2018, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 9th, 2018, 5:06 pm
Minion

Nice detail in the shirt, base looks good too. Looking forward to seeing more painted minis.

March 10th, 2018, 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Decided to try a Lawbot this morning. I spent quite a while agonising over what colours to go with... I didn't want them to look identical to the raiders from above so wanted to avoid browns even though those are obviously the accepted colours when you look at the card art. The base on this one was even easier than the last one... just one tiny strip of plasticard, a bit of scratching with a file for the wood planks (they hide the bar that the mini stands on to be inserted into the base) and then some freehand painting for the carpet (my hands shake like crazy so not my strongest area).

I also started messing around trying to do the glowing bullets on the Kid... but I think I may end up going back to plain silver guns... I can't seem to get the red glow to look right. If anyone has any advice on that front I'd be glad to hear it! I'm trying to layer up very thin red/orange but it's just looking messy.

March 11th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Minion

wow I think I like that lawbot even more. The glow of the eyes looks great, that nm gold gun is perfect and that base blows the other one away. love the detail on the white shirt as well.

The orange glow in the left hand gun looks good to me

March 11th, 2018, 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

They look really good. You are giving me a few ideas for painting my raiders. I can't wait to see more.

March 12th, 2018, 6:34 am
Bottle Cap

tat2artst.... boy do I wish that was perfect NMM on the gold gun...alas it's just regular Retributor Armor paint highlighted up with silvers and shaded with washes. I have dabbled in NMM in the past on 40k and infinity models but never found a way of doing it that didn't take hours and these days I just don't have the time or inclination...or the paints for that matter lol. I took a break from painting for a year and a bit... and almost all my paints are bone dry :shock: Obviously the worst culprits are the GW paints... I swear they purpose built those pots to allow as much air in as possible :?

I've been doing another law bot today but with a little twist. I grabbed one of the extra lawbots out of the box and decided to turn him into a raider. No major conversion or whatever, I just chopped some chunks out of his hat, added a few bullet holes here and there and shredded the back of his coat and the rest is in the paint. Sloppy basecoats still on the weapons and chaps but I'm clocking off for the day and thought I would post it as it is right now.

The thing they are standing on is just a chunk of insulation foam that I was testing for potential boards. I think if I end up making 3d boards for the game I will have to use a different material... or at least a combination of materials. Obviously SDE was perfect for the textured surface of the foam as most surfaces in those boards were stone or brick etc. It doesn't really lend itself as a material to metal plating etc. I'll probably end up using xps foam, regular card backed foamcore and some plasticard. Just waiting to see if the game is a success or not before I get started with any planning on that front. My brain STRONGLY wants to build a space train :D

March 16th, 2018, 12:38 am
Minion

Those look amazing. Very nice work on the bases.

March 18th, 2018, 3:48 pm
Bottle Cap

Thanks Homedrone :D

I went back and forth on the colour scheme for this one but ultimately felt I couldn't resist doing the full Boba Fett scheme despite it having no relevance when it comes to space trains etc! As a kid I was obsessed with Fett so it was fun to do this one. I drilled a dent into the hemet for a bit more accuracy :D I'm still not sure what to do with the eyes. I have tried mocking up all sorts of colours in photoshop and can't find anything that I like as much as plain white.

I did the usual boiling water / ice bath treatment to try and straighten the gun but even after three goes it still kept bending round so I gave up and painted it anyway.

March 21st, 2018, 11:18 pm
Bottle Cap

Inspiring! I really like what you did with the basing!

March 24th, 2018, 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

So I cracked... and started making a 3d board for my son and I to play on.

I've just been winging it in any spare time I have, I didn't make templates or even have a plan to be honest... I just sat there with ruler, pencil and xacto and started cutting foam. It's pretty "rough and ready" on the outside, and I'm totally flying by the seat of my pants on the interior... but I think it's going to turn out pretty well in the end!

Here is the engine of the train. The roof and front wall are removable to reveal the tile inside. As I was making it up as I went I left some pretty sizable gaps that needed to be filled with some flexible tile grout stuff I had to hand.

Here it is all filled with grout. It was still pretty rough so I decided to add some plasticard panelling to pull it together and distract the eye a bit. I'm really not fussed about the exterior toooo much, so I'm not spending hours on this part.

Here is the afformentioned panelling (I also added a nose bit because I thought it needed something more):

Time to do the interior of the tile... I worked from the game tile but obviously took a lot of liberties with the design. I think I retained the feel of the tile pretty well all told.

Then it was time for some paint to see how things were looking! I did a bit of rough and ready weathering just by blasting it with black and silver with my airbrush to give it some streaky lines. When I'm done making all the carriages I will pay the exterior more attention, but I didn't want to push too far ahead until I had all the roof pieces finished.

Then I painted the interior, first basecoats:

Then a bit of shading and highlighting (a mix of manual drybrushing and some airbrushing)

Then finally I added some little details like a paper wanted sign, some engine schematics and a little plasticard wrench. The oil patches are PVA and acrylic paint mixed together to make them nice little raised puddles.

With that done I moved onto making more carriages. First the passenger car. I've only done one side of each tile to allow space for the miniatures. I've tried to retain the vibe of the tile whilst making the sacrifices needed to go 3d. Again, I only spent about an hour or two total on each carriage so it's not particularly fine work.. I haven't any time at the moment for making things perfectly... I am intending to paint it all nicely and add details that way where needed. The 1cm foam I used is also not as forgiving as the thicker stuff and goes very fluffy if you try to sand it too much to smooth details out.

Next up was the Stock car (i think that's the name?) A lot of the details on this tile were obscured so I did my best to go with what I thought the intention was. A security/cargo carriage.

Then the dining car. The windows need some more sanding. When I paint I will make a starry background on a piece of card and glue it to the outside of the carriage.

Each carriage of the train has an identical roof so the tile is obscured There will be dozens of imperfections that will give away which tile it is, if you care to know, but my son and I won't pay any attention to that, we will just shuffle them around on the table, build the train and find out which carriage is next as we go.

This is where I'm up to so far then... currently I've only got enough foam left for one more carriage so I'm going to do the caboose. Then when I have some more time I will pick up another sheet of foam and make the remaining cars.

May 11th, 2018, 5:51 pm
Denizen

absolutely ridiculous! makes me want to learn more/how to play RRI :D.

May 11th, 2018, 6:54 pm
Minion

Incredible job on those train cars.

May 11th, 2018, 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

They look amazing! It definitely adds to the game. I can't wait to see everything when it is done.

May 12th, 2018, 4:29 am
Minion

I can't believe how amazing those train cars look. I almost feel like are so good the game itself isn't worthy of the time and effort you have put into making them! (and don't get me wrong I actually love RRI)

Check out my blog: https://thelandofaporia.wordpress.com/

June 13th, 2018, 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]