View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Double Domination 
Minion

Double domination is a 2-player challenge where players compete to control two points on the game board.

This challenge has been played as a one off. It is not tested for league play.

Ninja allowed: 7

Setup:In step 4 of setup before placing lanterns and shrines. The starting player places a goal space token at (10,4) and another at (11,17) (coordinates are given in (row, column) where row 1 is the row closest to the starting player and columns are enumerated left to right). Players will need their medal tokens for this match. Lanterns and Shrines cannot be placed within three spaces of goal space tokens.

Special: Once a player finishes activating a model, if he controls more models within two spaces of any goal space token than his opponent, he may either remove a medal token that was placed on that goal space token and return it to its owner; or if there is no token on that goal space token, he may place one of his medal tokens on that goal space. No model can pick up or carry medal tokens.

After the players have finished activating all of their models, before upkeep, a player scores 1 point if his medal token is on a goal space token. If a player has a medal token on both goal space tokens he instead scores 3 points.

Additional XP rules: After activating a model, if that model injured or moved an enemy model that was within two spaces of a goal space token, the model just activated gains 1 xp.

Challenge Length: 7

I ripped this right out of Unreal Tournament. I like it from a mechanics point of view because it forces players to split their forces up and is not prone to furballing.

Last edited by RogueRifler on February 21st, 2016, 2:57 am, edited 7 times in total.

January 30th, 2016, 2:20 pm
Employee

I like this Challenge.

It's simple. Yet challenging, for the reason you stated.

January 30th, 2016, 6:10 pm
Ninja Corps

I like this one too. But I think the bonus XP needs to be refined. As it reads now, the whole first turn will be each ninja getting an XP, so long as the first move is moving a ninja to 2 spaces of their closest goal. because then they have more there than the opponent...and each move after that will also meet that requirement.

I might make it say that if a ninja moves within 2 spaces of a goal, then the bonus XP kicks in. Or, more abstractly, a layer can assign a bonus xp to any ninja (on the field, within 2 spaces of a goal?) for each point they score at the end of a round. I would just hate to see the scenario turn into mutual XP farming for the unscrupulous. :P

January 30th, 2016, 8:50 pm
Minion

@Usagi

XP rule was ambiguous, I was intending that if the count of enemy models next to a goal space token was reduced during a model's activation (moved, koed, etc) than the model would be awarded xp.

Fixed now.

January 30th, 2016, 10:39 pm
Ninja Corps

Ah, I see how it works now, I think. It may even be better worded as "If, during their activation, a ninja moves or removes an opponent from withing 2 spaces of a goal, it gains 1XP". I believe that is the same outcome, but sounds less convoluted.

January 30th, 2016, 10:43 pm
Minion

@Usagi
Changed!

January 30th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Minion

I played this a few more times over the weeks as one-offs. Mechanics and team size feel solid. I haven't had the chance to play a league yet so I don't know how the xp rules stand.

February 21st, 2016, 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]