View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Stealth Mission 
Minion

Challenge

Stealth Mission (v 1.1)

Don't get caught! Your team of ninja are out hunting targets while avoiding discovery by sentries and attacks from your enemies.

For each target destroyed, your team earns 1 point.

Ninja allowed: 6

Setup:
All small-base models deploy in Stealth.

Setting targets - In step 4 of setup immediately before shrines and lanterns are placed, each player should alternate placing a single target until 10 targets are placed on the board (suggest using the crate tokens). No target can be placed within 4 spaces of another. If a target cannot be legally placed, the target(s) can be placed within 3 spaces of another. This is done before any lanterns or shrines are placed.

Lanterns – Place all 6 lanterns for this mission. They are placed as normal with at least 4 spaces between each lantern. Lanterns can be placed adjacent to, but not on top of targets.

Stealth Mission uses sentries. When deploying, place a single sentry within 5 spaces of each lantern.

Special Rules:

If a model in Stealth moves within two spaces of a lantern or a sentry and a Line of Sight can be drawn to the ninja, it loses Stealth. The influence zone of a lantern extends in all directions.

If AT ANY TIME a sentry can draw line of sight to a ninja, the sentry sounds an alarm, and the discovered ninja is removed to the healing house as if injured (disregarding resilience and other injury ignoring abilities).

When activated, a sentry can move up to 4 spaces and search (as determined by the activating player). This is a special search that extends to all ninja within 3 spaces and in the sentry’s line of sight. Each model in stealth within the area of this search must take an affinity test. This affinity test does not cause a model to lose stealth. If unsuccessful, they lose stealth, the sentry sounds an alarm, and all of the ninja discovered in this way are removed to the healing house as if injured (disregarding resilience and other injury ignoring abilities).

If a sentry is attacked and not stunned or injured, the attacking ninja is discovered and removed to the healing house as if injured (disregarding resilience and other injury ignoring abilities)

Targets – When a target is attacked, a single die is rolled for defense. It is destroyed on any result EXCEPT SPIRIT AND AIR.

Challenge Length: up to 7 rounds or until all targets are destroyed.

Additional EXP:
Each time a model destroys a target, it receives an additional 2 XP.

If your model moves an enemy model into the LOS of a sentry or if your model moves a sentry (such as by using an air or water result) so that it has LOS to an enemy model, your model receives 1 XP. Your model will receive an additional 1 XP if the enemy model was a chunin, hero, or ronin.

If your model successfully reveals an enemy model in the LOS of a sentry, your model receives 1 XP (in addition to the 1 normally received from revealing an enemy)

Last edited by Arydis on January 22nd, 2016, 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

January 22nd, 2016, 6:20 pm
Ninja Corps

I like the idea behind this one. Though I might change the "starts the game" in stealth to "deploys in stealth". Otherwise it seems very plausible that sentries could be used to get LOS on all deployment zones of a player, so they are instantly KOed as soon as they deploy. I might also remove the restriction on large base figures. That seems like a pretty arbitrary penalty that will affect some teams disproportionately to other teams.

I would also add that getting an air result on a sentry when attacking would have the sentry KOing the ninja it could see after being moved. Which could exclude the attaching ninja. I just like thigns that can encourage the idea that void isn't always "best" in combat. :P

January 22nd, 2016, 6:54 pm
Minion

1. Deploys in stealth. Excellent.
2. I don't like the idea of large models being in stealth. I would see this as a scenario where stealth beats brute force. Yajiri in particular will be strong. Other than the ONI, there is the spider lady. Anyone else? It is not a necessary distinction for the rules.
3. That air result would be strong for Tanchyo. However, since it didn't stun, it would be a sacrificial play.

January 22nd, 2016, 9:05 pm
Ninja Corps

Oh, I get that air result attacks don't stun. I wasn't asking if it did that, I was saying I would play it that way. The attacker only goes off if he's in LOS of a guard after resolving the attack.

mentioning yajiri also brings up the question, which special result rules trumps. Are yajiri still limited to earth and void, or do other results kill targets? I would limit it to earth and void, still because they have low defense, and every ninja could use stealthy shuriken attacks to have a very high chance of taking out targets. Unless that's the intention.

January 22nd, 2016, 10:38 pm
Minion

Nice work Arydis. I think this is a pretty cool addition to the missions.

Instead of targets, the objects could be something the Ninja need to retrieve (Like stealing bells off Kakashi). That would take out the possible imbalance of shooting them from a distance being too easy.

January 22nd, 2016, 11:00 pm
Minion

My thought was to make the shuriken useful as a range 3 stealthy attack. They can be out of range of the lamps and attack. They allow all models to be able to take them out, but the sentries are a big risk. The found if not stunned or ko'd is to generate risk for ranged stealthy attacks. If a sentry is attacked, he should respond, right? Maybe an affinity check to remain in stealth? Don't want the rules too clunky though.

The intent for ranged attacks was to hit targets on all but spirit or air (not sure if this should be void and fire for balance?)

I am waiting for my set so I can run the scenario with my clans.

January 23rd, 2016, 12:41 am
Minion

I really like the concept of this one. Do you mind if I hack away at making an asymmetric variant? The rough idea was that one team is the attacker and the other team is the defender. During setup the attacker places the targets and the defender places the sentries. During each turn that sentries are usually activated, the defender activates a sentry, then the attacker activates a target (they would have low movement, say 2). The attacker always deploys in stealth and can deploy from ANY of the four sides of the board. The defender deploys instead from the center of the board. After a short number of rounds, say 4, the match is setup again and the players reverse rolls. The team that killed the most targets wins.

January 31st, 2016, 11:01 pm
Minion

Certainly, asymetric variants seem like a fun approach. Keep in mind that I think the key 'innovation' of my original post was probably the threat posed by the new sentry type. Placing the sentries directly under the defenders control seems like a fun approach. It could even be used to create 1v2 or 1v3 variants with the defender having access to 1 to 4 ninja while the attackers could variably have 4 to 7 (depending on player count).

February 1st, 2016, 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]