View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 18th, 2017, 11:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Figuring out Koban for Ronin... 
Bottle Cap

Being a noob to NAS, I have a question about Koban for ronin.

Each ronin has a base Koban cost to hire, and then a slash separating a reduced Koban cost and affinity symbols.

What does that mean, game-wise, and how is it applied?

September 9th, 2016, 5:43 pm
Bottle Cap

I believe the first number is the cost to Hire him and the second number is the upkeep cost to keep him.

September 9th, 2016, 5:52 pm
Mini-Boss

Yep you are correct first number is paid for them to join and then second is the how much you must pay at the end of each game to keep the ronin on your team for the next game.

September 9th, 2016, 6:06 pm
Bottle Cap

Makes perfect sense! Thanks! And the affinity symbols are a reduced cost to whatever clan the ronin prefers fighting for?

September 9th, 2016, 9:08 pm
Mini-Boss

Nope that is their affinities so if you ever roll their affinity for anything if any of the elements shown the affinity test is a success. Meaning most ronins will take more than one hit to get injured.

September 9th, 2016, 11:00 pm
Ninja Corps

vreeleader wrote:
Nope that is their affinities so if you ever roll their affinity for anything if any of the elements shown the affinity test is a success. Meaning most ronins will take more than one hit to get injured.

Unless I'm misreading here, you're slightly wrong. Multiple affinities don't affect affinity tests in any way. When you make an affinity test, if you have multiple affinities you have t pick only one to make the test on. When it comes to ronin (who can't gain XP or level) the only thing multiple affinities affects is the resilience roll which is rolling a single die when the model is stunned or injured and if you rill any affinity they posses the stun becomes nothing or the injury becomes a stun.

September 9th, 2016, 11:13 pm
Mini-Boss

Maybe i don't have my book in front of me but i thought that was the best thing about having more than one affinity is you could use any of them on the affinity tests.

September 9th, 2016, 11:37 pm
Minion

You can, but you choose which one of them to use. It amounts to choosing which number on a die you want to come up.. so not so useful for affinity tests.

September 10th, 2016, 12:00 am
Bottle Cap

homedrone wrote:
You can, but you choose which one of them to use. It amounts to choosing which number on a die you want to come up.. so not so useful for affinity tests.

And where in the rulebook is that, please?

September 10th, 2016, 1:17 am
Ninja Corps

Two-Yen Noodles Carl wrote:
homedrone wrote:

I don't have the time at the moment to look specifically. But I know it says it in the area that talks about affinity tests. I will look it up specifically when I get a chance, if someone else hasn't.

September 10th, 2016, 2:13 am
Denizen

Two-Yen Noodles Carl wrote:
homedrone wrote:

Page 7, column 2, 3rd to last paragraph.
Quote:
Models with more than one Affinity must choose which element will be used before the model makes the affinity test.

September 10th, 2016, 2:52 am
Mini-Boss

That is lame!!! I guess it keeps it from being over powered. so the only good thing about dual affinity is for resilient on ronin.

September 10th, 2016, 3:54 am
Ninja Corps

vreeleader wrote:
That is lame!!! I guess it keeps it from being over powered. so the only good thing about dual affinity is for resilient on ronin.

well, the argument is that, on regular models, it opens up options to choose new keywords. Since a ninja can choose a keyword from any affinity it has. But, I believe that that is a trap. In almost any given scenario, a ninja is better off using the doubles rolled to gain a new affinity to just gain an out-of-type keyword anyways. the benefit of having an additional affinity to gain keywords only outweighs the immediate benefit if you end up taking something like 3 out of type keywords based on that affinity. Even them, you're still one keyword behind other ninja at that level.\\It is useful, however, for oni, which are the only thing that can both gain XP and have resilience.

September 10th, 2016, 3:22 pm
Denizen

Some abilities do trigger on any rolled element.

September 17th, 2016, 11:28 pm
Ninja Corps

Wolf357 wrote:
Some abilities do trigger on any rolled element.

resilience is the only keyword that takes all affinities that a models has int account at the same time. Any other ability uses affinity tests, which are only one affinity at a time.

September 18th, 2016, 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]