View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2018, 8:39 pm



Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Sentry activation issue 
Author Message
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2453
On page 72, when describing sentries and how they work, it says "During a sentry’s activation, the player who activated it will roll dice and make all decisions for the sentry."

Does this mean that if I am the one activating a sentry (for example) I could choose one near one of my ninja, have it move to and attack my own ninja, roll both sides of the combat and (assuming the sentry has the dice advantage) choose the result from the sentry's dice, including injuring himself or moving my ninja to a better position? This just seems odd and resulted in a lot of sentries running up to ninja and intentionally stabbing themselves so the ninja gets some XP. :P


February 16th, 2016, 8:16 pm
Profile
Minion
User avatar

Joined: January 19th, 2013, 10:34 pm
Posts: 201
That is how it seems to work as far as I can tell. That's the advantage of being in control of the Samurai I guess? You don't totally have a choice of who it attacks though, I think it has to be the closest Ninja they can see.


February 16th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2453
homedrone wrote:
That is how it seems to work as far as I can tell. That's the advantage of being in control of the Samurai I guess? You don't totally have a choice of who it attacks though, I think it has to be the closest Ninja they can see.


True, but you have total choice over which sentry you activate. You can just pick one that will attack your own people.


February 16th, 2016, 9:17 pm
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: July 26th, 2014, 9:54 pm
Posts: 15
Usagi wrote:
On page 72, when describing sentries and how they work, it says "During a sentry’s activation, the player who activated it will roll dice and make all decisions for the sentry."

Does this mean that if I am the one activating a sentry (for example) I could choose one near one of my ninja, have it move to and attack my own ninja, roll both sides of the combat and (assuming the sentry has the dice advantage) choose the result from the sentry's dice, including injuring himself or moving my ninja to a better position? This just seems odd and resulted in a lot of sentries running up to ninja and intentionally stabbing themselves so the ninja gets some XP. :P

When you move a sentry to your own models and he attacks, the player on your left should roll for the sentry. I know it doesn´t say that exactly i.e.

"During a sentry´s activation, the player who activated it will roll dice and make all decisions for the sentry. When a sentry is being attacked, the player to the left of the attacking player rolls for and makes all decisions for the sentry."

In the case you would have to have an sentry attacking your own ninjas, presume that the sentry is being attacked and let the player on your left roll for combat.

There are some rules in the book that don´t explain all the variables, and that´s why people like to exploit it. I don´t even think that sentries are supposed to be considered "enemies" for the purpose of gaining XP, but they are enemy models non the less.


February 17th, 2016, 5:03 am
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2453
I do think it's silly, but a sentry attacking a ninja is not a sentry being attacked. Nothing gives any indication a single player can't roll all the dice and make all the decisions.

This is probably something that should be errataed in the inevitable FAQ because it seems this couldn't have been the intent. But, as it's written it's not even ambiguous. :P


February 17th, 2016, 6:30 am
Profile
Bottle Cap
User avatar

Joined: July 26th, 2014, 9:54 pm
Posts: 15
Usagi wrote:
I do think it's silly, but a sentry attacking a ninja is not a sentry being attacked....

That is why I said presume the sentry is being attacked, not that he is being attacked but is attacking, and let the player on your left roll for attack.
Also rolling combat against yourself is highly illogical, as in many other board/wargames you would never attack yourself, but damage yourself is sometimes a possibility (i.e. like WH40k, your balstmarkers scattering over your own troops).
In my opinion this is an overlook and indeed needs an FAQ or an Errata like you said.


February 17th, 2016, 4:46 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.