View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 18th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 LOS for Volcano Pots? 
Minion

Does the Tora Madoushi require LOS to the target of his Volcano Pots ability? The ability says if the test is successful, one enemy model within six spaces of the madoushi and all models adjacent to the enemy model are Stunned. It makes no mention of requiring LOS to the initial target. The same question for other similar abilities like Wanderlust, Net, Undertow, Skull Hex, etc. There are a number of abilities that act like a ranged attack but are not.

The Yamazaru's Madoushi has an ability that states it is Ranged 10, which makes it a ranged attack and therefore would require LOS.

February 16th, 2016, 1:03 pm
Minion

Rulebook, Line of Sight, page 8 wrote:
Models require Line of Sight (LoS) to target enemy models with all actions, abilities, and attacks, unless otherwise specified.

Some abilities, like Wanderlust, state "No LoS is required." Otherwise, according to the LoS rules, you need to have LoS in order to target with a given ability.

Volcano Pots does not specify otherwise, so LoS is required (the same goes for virtually all of the other abilities you mentioned).

February 16th, 2016, 1:24 pm
Minion

Glad to see I am playing this correctly. It would be nice if they mentioned LOS in the actual wording of the ability as well.

February 16th, 2016, 1:31 pm
Mini-Boss

Sartalo wrote:
Glad to see I am playing this correctly. It would be nice if they mentioned LOS in the actual wording of the ability as well.

I agree. Even though it is implied, once you understand that in some instances it says that it is not required, it would be an easy thing to do and provide so much more clarity.

February 16th, 2016, 1:43 pm
Minion

That seems like a lot of extra wording for the majority of abilities when there are very few abilities that don't require LoS.

Personally, I find it much easier to know that LoS is required unless the ability says otherwise ... there aren't really that many exceptions, are there?

Amazing Awareness (Mizaru)
Cloud Walk (Air Shrine Madoushi)
Dark Curse (Onibaba)
Foul Weather (Ika Madoushi)
Healing Mist (Kitsune Madoushi)
Wanderlust (Kitsune Madoushi)

That's all of them of which I'm aware (there might be some I missed or from Ronin I don't have), but that's roughly 6 abilities where LoS isn't required. Given the overall number of abilities, I can easily see why they chose to do it the way they did.

February 16th, 2016, 2:07 pm
Ninja Corps

I agree that if an ability doesn't stray away from the baseline rules (in this case the baseline being "abilities always need LOS"), the rules don't need to be reiterated every time. Just like there's no reason for Ijin's horns to say "+1 attack when attacking a ninja that isn't in stealth". As a general rule, you can't attack a ninja in stealth, so it wouldn't (and doesn't :P) need to say that. Just like abilities that require LOS. There's no real need for it to keep repeating that.

February 16th, 2016, 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]