View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Curse, Haste, Rerolls, Area of Influence and Timing 
Minion

These are a few things that I would just like to make sure I am playing correctly.

Re-rolls: You can only reroll a die once (pg 8).

1. If an opponent with an elemental affinity and a curse token is attacking you. As the attacker, he can reroll his dice first. If he has earth affinity for example and rolls earth, air, air on three dice and then chooses to use his affinity and rerolls the two air results. If you use the curse token on him, he would only be forced to reroll the single earth result, correct?
In a similar example, if he rolled air, water and void on three dice and chose to use his affinity to reroll all of the dice, then you would not be able to force him to use his curse token correct?
In a third example if a defender is cursed, after rolling the dice, the attacker could force him to reroll all of his dice before the defender would be able to use an affinity, or close combat master, etc. Then the defender would not be able to reroll any of the results?

2. Haste: If a model in stealth uses a haste token for extra movement, will this remove his stealth token? Running is not a stealthy action, but Haste does not refer to it as running, only "move a second time".

3. Area of Influence: Can you assist an attack or defense against an opponent in your rear area of influence? The rules seem to say yes, but it seems funny that you can't attack someone behind you, but you can assist and force them to dodge.

4. Lastly, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this one, but I seem to recall reading in a post somewhere, someone talking about a stunned model having no area of influence. I read through the rules looking for that info, but did not find it anywhere. So a ninja in a stunned enemy's area of influence still cannot make a ranged attack, correct? You would also still be required to make a dodge roll to leave a stunned enemy's area of influence?

February 8th, 2016, 12:07 pm
Minion

Sartalo wrote:
These are a few things that I would just like to make sure I am playing correctly.

Re-rolls: You can only reroll a die once (pg 8).

1. If an opponent with an elemental affinity and a curse token is attacking you. As the attacker, he can reroll his dice first. If he has earth affinity for example and rolls earth, air, air on three dice and then chooses to use his affinity and rerolls the two air results. If you use the curse token on him, he would only be forced to reroll the single earth result, correct?
In a similar example, if he rolled air, water and void on three dice and chose to use his affinity to reroll all of the dice, then you would not be able to force him to use his curse token correct?
In a third example if a defender is cursed, after rolling the dice, the attacker could force him to reroll all of his dice before the defender would be able to use an affinity, or close combat master, etc. Then the defender would not be able to reroll any of the results?

2. Haste: If a model in stealth uses a haste token for extra movement, will this remove his stealth token? Running is not a stealthy action, but Haste does not refer to it as running, only "move a second time".

3. Area of Influence: Can you assist an attack or defense against an opponent in your rear area of influence? The rules seem to say yes, but it seems funny that you can't attack someone behind you, but you can assist and force them to dodge.

4. Lastly, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this one, but I seem to recall reading in a post somewhere, someone talking about a stunned model having no area of influence. I read through the rules looking for that info, but did not find it anywhere. So a ninja in a stunned enemy's area of influence still cannot make a ranged attack, correct? You would also still be required to make a dodge roll to leave a stunned enemy's area of influence?

1. I believe your assessment is correct based on my understanding of the rules, though I'm assuming you mean Elemental Mastery rather than Elemental Affinity (an affinity does not grant re-rolls by itself).

2. Haste allows you to either take a second action or move a second time, and moving typically does not cause loss of stealth. From the rules, though:

Rules: Specific Terrain Types: Foliage wrote:
If a model with stealth moves through a foliage space without ending its movement, it immediately loses Stealth. If a model in Stealth moves onto a foliage space and ends its movement, it does not lose Stealth and may move off the foliage space without losing stealth in later activations.

This means they could use their first move (or a portion thereof), move onto a foliage space, stop, then use their second movement from Haste to move off that space and not lose Stealth. Now that you mention it, though, running does use an action, and isn't specified as stealthy, but my opinion would be that running doesn't cause you to lose stealth ... but I'm not 100% sure on that.

3. The assist rules don't specify front / back influence zone, so I would say that yes, you can assist against an opponent in your back influence zone. It does seem somewhat counter-intuitive, but rules-as-written appear to make that the case.

4. Stunned models still have an influence zone, but they cannot assist ... I wonder if you're thinking of Stealth, which states that models in stealth only have an influence zone during their activation (so they cannot assist / don't have to be dodged). Ninja David stated in the LOS while in Stealth thread that

ND_David wrote:
The LoS rule in accordance with Stealth was meant to prevent Dodging and Assists. It is not intended to prevent Stealthed ninja from drawing LoS to enemy ninja.

These are based on my understanding of the rules, so I may have missed something ... if I'm wrong, I apologize and I certainly hope someone corrects me.

February 8th, 2016, 12:38 pm
Minion

Yep, Elemental Mastery, not affinity.

When it comes to stealth, it says:
"When a model in Stealth takes an action or takes an affinity check other than dodging, it loses Stealth. Any action, attack, or ability that is Stealthy does not cause a model to lose Stealth when used." Since running is an action I would say that it causes you to lose your stealth status.

Haste however "A model with Haste may remove one Haste token at the beginning of its activation in order to either move a second time or take a second action at any time during its activation." This could make a big difference to someone using a hasted, stealthed, Kunoichi attempting to get in a back-strike. Being able to move twice and still attack from stealth would be a nasty surprise attack! If Haste was worded that it allows the ninja to take an extra action, including an additional move/run action it would be a bit more cut an dry.

February 8th, 2016, 1:23 pm
Minion

I'm not sure what you're saying about Haste ... a Kunoichi with Stealth, to use your example, could absolutely move twice and attack from Stealth using Haste, because it can "either move a second time or take a second action at any time during its activation."

To me, that wording means that the additional move from Haste is another regular movement (doesn't remove Stealth), not using an action to move instead (like Running) ... unless removing the Haste token somehow causes them to lose Stealth? It's not really an ability, it's a status effect and doesn't require an affinity test, so it shouldn't cause them to lost Stealth ... in my opinion ...

My opinion is partially based on the consensus in the Haste is now optional? thread, but I could be wrong. An official answer might be good to clarify how Stealth is affected by Running and Haste.

Also, does that little clause at the end of Haste: "at any time during its activation" mean they can act + move + act or move + act + move? I would say they can obviously move + move + act, but probably not act + act + move (since the normal move + act would have to be in that order).

February 8th, 2016, 2:41 pm
Minion

I guess my problem with Haste is the wording. Does it give you an extra action or free movement, or does it give you an extra action that you can use to make a second run action? The way it is worded it sounds as though you can choose to take a second free move (since it is not an action would not remove your stealth status).

Also, my interpretation of the rule the way it is written is that you could move, move, act or act, move, act or move, act, act. Since it says you can "take a second action at any time during it's activation" and a regular activation is move, act.

So using this terminology as it stands, a ninja in stealth could move twice and then attack from stealth, or you could throw a shuriken (stealth action), move and then attack in close combat. You could even attack and then move twice! Haste seems pretty awesome. I think the only way to get a haste token at the moment is from an Ijin Madoushi or a haste shrine. Not sure if there are any other sources.

I haven't read the post about "Haste is now optional" (guess I should look that one over), but the way the rules are worded, it says you "may" remove a haste token. In my book, that means you could hold onto it for a later turn. We were doing the same thing with the Lucky status effect.

February 8th, 2016, 5:29 pm
Dungeon Boss

Run is an action, and not a Stealthy one at that. As such, its use will un-Stealth any Ninja that uses said action.

Haste is a status effect, that allows the Ninja affected to either take another action, or move a second time. Since normal moves are considered Stealthy, then moving a second time in this manner will not un-Stealth the Ninja. If they were to Move, Haste Move, and then Run, THEN they would be un-Stealthed.

Think of it this way. Someone moving as fast as they can is often going to make a lot of noise, unintentionally stepping on branches, crushing leaves, or slammig their feet hard against the floor, in an attempt to move as fast as they can.

Haste, on the other hand, is much more akin to a supernatural power, allowing the user to take multiple actions faster then they normally could, while still putting in the same attention to detail as normal. Think of it as super speed and preternatural Reflexes combined. Your sense of perception moves as fast as you, and as such you can keep up your attention to moving stealthy, while also blitzing forward. If you want to put it into more Ninja-esque terms, then you can consider Haste a shadow step or double strike.

As for your other questions:

1) It seams this is the case. This actually creates an interesting mini-game, however, forcing your opponent to try and hold their Elemental Mastery, and other re-rolls, to counter Curse, or your own re-rolls.

3) Unless stated, there's no difference between the Font and Back influence zones. They are still considered influence zones. So yes, you can give and recieve assists from your Back influence zone, but not attack. Think if it as watching their back, or such...

4) This "rule" is nothing more then someone's suggested edit or houserule. The official rules make no mention of it. Stunned Ninja follow all the same rules as regular Ninja, except for, of course, the effects of being stunned, suchbas the reduced actionability and the inability to assist. They are Dazed, essentially, but not entirely unaware!

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

February 8th, 2016, 6:12 pm
Minion

Thanks for your help J-bird and Daemonforge! I'm just making sure I'm playing the game correctly, especially since I am teaching new players :D

I sort of took the concept of haste and running like you suggested. It is hard to sprint and be quiet, but not when you are moving with supernatural ninja speed!

As for assisting in your back influence zone, thematically, I sort of envisioned it not so much that your ninja is assisting in the attack, more so that the defender has to divide his attention between the attacker and other "possible" attackers.

February 8th, 2016, 6:21 pm
Ninja Corps

It looks like you ave reroll order right to me. At last that's the order of priority I do it in as well.

A second move from haste is not an action and won't take you out of stealth. The only non-action that takes you out of stealth is the effects of foliage (excluding opponents forcing you out). You also would not get things like the sprint keyword bonus on a second move from haste for that reason. You aren't taking a run action. If you moved 3 times, however, you would lose stealth, as you used your action to run.

Rear influence zone works for forcing dodges and assisting (or countering the ability to assist on an opponent) as well as preventing yajiri from shooting and anything else an influence zone does. Front versus back zone really only matters for LOS, front versus back strikes and where you are allowed to attack.

Lastly being stunned prevents assists, as was said, but does not remove influence zones. SO, other than it's effect on assists, everything else is in effect, even from a stunned ninja, as far as influence zone effects are concerned.

February 8th, 2016, 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]