View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 16th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Pushed through Negative Shrine multiple squares 
Bottle Cap

Hey all,

The rules for detrimental shrines is:

Quote:
When a model moves within one space of a shrine that radiates a detrimental status effect, it must make an affinity test. If it fails the test, the model gets one status effect token of the type of the shrine.

What happens if you get pushed through the shrine via an Air result (or some other forced movement)? Is that up to 3 affinity tests? Or just one?

Is it different if it is not forced movement, ie intentionally moving through multiple negative shrine spaces?

Thanks!

February 3rd, 2016, 5:33 pm
Denizen

movement from dice effects i.e. water and air have to follow normal movement rules except for dodges. You cannot move through a shrine counter/model. but yu could be moved around one and have to take multiple affinity test to resist the negative shrine effect! I love slamming ninja into negative shrines :lol:

February 3rd, 2016, 6:16 pm
Bottle Cap

Hmm, so pushed 3 squares by Air effect around a shrine means 3 affinity tests? Harsh. Those detrimental shrines are more dangerous than they appear.

Thanks!

February 3rd, 2016, 8:37 pm
Bottle Cap

I limited them to just 1 time per turn and model, so you cannot get multiple negative/positive effects in 1 turn.

February 3rd, 2016, 9:12 pm
Denizen

Actually I read in book now - movement from combat ignores terrain and zones of influence but all other rules of movement apply. mmm not sure what that means by all other rules - I guess you can't move through models and blocking terrain like shrines etc. If moved next to a bad shrine i guess you will have take affinity to rest when next activated if still in bad shrine influence zone.

February 4th, 2016, 3:26 am
Minion

@Wolf357. I think you've got it spot on. Your explanation is how I interpret it.

February 4th, 2016, 7:51 am
Bottle Cap

To be clear I wasn't asking whether you could get pushed through the shrine itself, just pushed around the shrine through multiple squares of its "bad aura".

Apolyon.BS wrote:
I limited them to just 1 time per turn and model, so you cannot get multiple negative/positive effects in 1 turn.

This is how I played it too, but I do think RAW that Wolf357 is correct. Its just a very harsh ruling RAW.

February 4th, 2016, 2:33 pm
Denizen

Wolf357 wrote:
Actually I read in book now - movement from combat ignores terrain and zones of influence but all other rules of movement apply.

I read this to mean that rules for moving across/onto terrain spaces like rough terrain or elevated terrain would be ignored when applying a water or air result.
I didn't think it would apply to the effects of a negative shrine and that's how I've played it so far.
It's a lot of fun to use an air result to move an enemy back and forth through a shrine aura.
I played it that they would take an affinity test on each space, but maybe that is a bit OP'd. Maybe next time I will play it that if they end their forced move in a negative aura they test once.

But official clarification would be good on this subject.

February 5th, 2016, 5:32 am
Denizen

I think a one test max might be way to go. You could put a restriction that you can't move back into a square you've just moved from. You could still lap around a shrine but this feels better than a to and fro dance to force more affinity tests.

February 5th, 2016, 6:42 am
Ninja Corps

Wolf357 wrote:
I think a one test max might be way to go. You could put a restriction that you can't move back into a square you've just moved from. You could still lap around a shrine but this feels better than a to and fro dance to force more affinity tests.

why would you ever voluntarily move through shrine auras and force a ton of tests? o_O

The question is weather or not forced movement causes multiple checks. Voluntary movement totally would.

February 5th, 2016, 9:19 am
Denizen

any misunderstanding. I am talking about involuntary movement here too.

February 5th, 2016, 12:31 pm
Minion

Well I just realized I had been playing this very differently.

The problem is that this passage is ambiguous. It could mean each time the model moves in the boundary of one square around a shrine it makes an affinity test and takes the result. What I interpreted it to mean is that each time a model moves from two spaces away from a shrine to one space away from a shrine it makes an affinity test and gets the effect.

An official clarification is needed.

February 5th, 2016, 5:01 pm
Denizen

I agree its one for the FAQ. I played it if you from outside a shrines effect zone to inside it then take the test but only once not for each square whilst within.

February 7th, 2016, 3:27 pm
Minion

I think the once per movement or once per round approach creates the most equivalence between positive and negative shrine effects. Since the positive shrines require an action (and so are limited to once per turn) having the negative shrines trigger as many as 3 negative effects per forced movement instance seems excessive.

Once per movement instance (no keyword for this currently) allows some tactical reason to continue to throw someone against a shrine in a single round, but once per round per model would keep this from being abused.

February 10th, 2016, 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]