View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Oni Stealth? 
Minion

It seems ridiculous and yet I can't find a rule against it, so can Oni stealth?

January 29th, 2016, 8:57 pm
Ninja Corps

Of course they can. There's not a model in the game that can't to my knowledge.

January 29th, 2016, 11:47 pm
Minion

Okay, they're just big. I thought I'd ask.

January 30th, 2016, 4:27 am
Denizen

which means maybe more LOS to their base and so restriction to being able to Stealth...

January 30th, 2016, 11:37 am
Mini-Boss

Usagi wrote:
Of course they can. There's not a model in the game that can't to my knowledge.

I don't think it was really an "of course" kind of question, I think that the point is valid, and although the rules do not explicitly state it, I think that their size really should prevent them from hiding. I mean, where are the going to find a lampshade that big to put over their head? :P

The rules do seem to indicate that any model can use their action to Stealth, so I would agree with Usagi. However, in the generic description for Oni it says "They may not be the most stealthy, but their effect on the enemy is remarkable." So maybe somewhere down the road we will see them being either easier to spot or just plain unable to hide.

February 4th, 2016, 5:46 pm
Denizen

plus one extra dice when searching for one maybe

Last edited by Wolf357 on February 5th, 2016, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2016, 6:12 pm
Minion

My initial impression followed the same concern. Why would such a big model be able to stealth? Then I remembered that it is an "Oni" and all of a sudden stealth didn't seem so improbable.

February 5th, 2016, 5:45 pm
Bottle Cap

Spazzfist wrote:
I don't think it was really an "of course" kind of question, I think that the point is valid, and although the rules do not explicitly state it, I think that their size really should prevent them from hiding. I mean, where are the going to find a lampshade that big to put over their head? :P

The rules do seem to indicate that any model can use their action to Stealth, so I would agree with Usagi. However, in the generic description for Oni it says "They may not be the most stealthy, but their effect on the enemy is remarkable." So maybe somewhere down the road we will see them being either easier to spot or just plain unable to hide.

I feel that description covers how they function at present. Taking up four times the area of a standard model does limit their ability to stealth due to a greater difficulty in avoiding LoS, making them not the most stealthy of units. Not being the best at stealth doesn't mean they aren't stealthy at all, they are still part of a ninja clan after all.

February 7th, 2016, 9:22 pm
Ninja Corps

Tokalla wrote:
I feel that description covers how they function at present. Taking up four times the area of a standard model does limit their ability to stealth due to a greater difficulty in avoiding LoS, making them not the most stealthy of units. Not being the best at stealth doesn't mean they aren't stealthy at all, they are still part of a ninja clan after all.

They are good for creating places to stealth though. Put your oni up front, move behind it where you can't be seen and poof!

February 8th, 2016, 2:53 am
Mini-Boss

And to remove all doubt, when you look at the league match rules there are missions which state that "all small based models" start in stealth and others where "all models" are stealthed.

February 8th, 2016, 9:52 am
Ninja Corps

Yep they just don't start challenges in stealth and their big bases make it harder to do. Milk those movement combat results, the Kitsune ability that moves you can work for you, and a void moon smokebomb card helps :)

February 12th, 2016, 5:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]