View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 23rd, 2017, 9:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tyrant Ability question 
Bottle Cap

Okay so some friends of mine were playing a game and the question came up about the Tyrant. The ability states it gives +1 ATK to within four spaces of the Chunin my friend has been using this ability with his ranged ninja but my other friend has made the argument that the +1 only applies to melee attacks. I said that the ability gave +1 to the ATK stat and that if you couldn't use it for a ranged attack it would state so like it dose under Stealth. He argued that their were several cards in the deck that state giving a +1 ATK to melee and / or ranged attacks and that a normal attack is a melee attack not a ranged attack. All three of us scoured the rule book trying to find clarity and we couldn't find anything. Both of them are in a league and this was their league match for the week so they want a clarification of the rule since their wasn't any in the book or the FAQ.

A second question that came up was their challenge for this game was brawl and they wanted to know if the game just immediately ends with no end of turn upkeep after a player reaches 9 points since it the states the challenge is over upon reaching this condition or do they get to perform the end of turn upkeep and then the game ends?

September 25th, 2016, 7:33 pm
Ninja Corps

I have a book in front of me at the moment, but whether or not the chunin ability benefits ranged attacks depends on how it's worded. If it says something along the lines of "all/any ninja in 4 spaces gains +1 attack..." then it would affect ranged attacks. If it reads "when attacking any ninja within 4 spaces gains +1 attack..." then it would not affect ranged attacks.

The key difference being that one says "when attacking" which specifically refers to melee attacks. Where as ranged attacks are specifically referred to as ranged attacks. If something affects both it would say "when attacking or making a ranged attack". So, without seeing it, I can only explain what the different possibilities in wording are and what they mean.

As fr brawl, I'm not sure. I've never used the brawl scenario in any league. It's a pretty awful scenario. no one in my leagues has ever really had fun playing it. Without a clear indicator of what to do, though, I would really leave it up t the league master to make the call in that case.

September 25th, 2016, 9:18 pm
Bottle Cap

It says friendly models within 4 spaces of the Chunin get +1 ATK when they make an attack.

September 26th, 2016, 12:55 am
Denizen

Page 14 second column just above the picture
Quote:
Ranged attacks do not count as normal attacks, and are only affected by effects that specifically affect ranged attacks.

All effects have to say they effect ranged attacks or they don't.

September 26th, 2016, 3:34 am
Ninja Corps

Ghost7784 wrote:
It says friendly models within 4 spaces of the Chunin get +1 ATK when they make an attack.

Yeah, that wording means, as described by Imriel, that it only affects melee attacks. It's a bit of a rules foible that they distinguish between melee attacks and ranged attacks by ust sying "attack" and "ranged attack". But whenever you see that, it means melee only.

September 26th, 2016, 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]