View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Super Dungeon Space Marine? 
Mini-Boss

So, the big news today is that Ninja Division now has the license to produce games based on Games Workshop properties. This is basically the license that used to belong to Fantasy Flight (but they've moved on to more Star Warsy pastures).

- This MIGHT mean that Ninja Division will produce some Warhammer or 40k based chibis. For those in doubt- Fantasy Flight was allowed to make minis for their GW properties so long as they couldn't be used in Warhammer or 40k. Fantasy Flight produced out of scale minis and busts to get around this restriction.

It is my belief that Chibi minis would be incompatible with 40k and Age of Sigmar, and are therefore fair game for Ninja Division. Depending on their contract, a limited edition set of Super Dungeon/Age of Sigmar crossovers might not be out of the question.

So- what Games Workshop characters would you like to see as Chibis?

August 24th, 2017, 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Blood Bowl teams, in general. I dunno if that would break the "can't be used" rule, or if blood bowl doesn't count...but I'd love to see chibi style BB teams, all varieties :P

August 24th, 2017, 10:46 pm
Mini-Boss

Usagi wrote:
Blood Bowl teams, in general. I dunno if that would break the "can't be used" rule, or if blood bowl doesn't count...but I'd love to see chibi style BB teams, all varieties :P

Yeah, I'd love that too.

August 24th, 2017, 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Well no idea what can be made within the contract, I think it is a "you cant make stuff that clashes with our tabletop games" type deal, based on FFG's output (only miniatures I know of were Chaos in Old World, Relic, Forbidden Stars).

As for chibi BB miniatures...nothing really stoping SPM from making any, just have to leave out the licensed names and any reference to BB and make it "fantasy football teams". The sheer number of other companies who make resin teams is ludicrous, probably 2 or 3 KS for them up right now or at least the past 6 months!

As for characters I would want...maybe a original Warhammer World/SDE crossover set of legendary characters: Karl Franz on a chibi Deathclaw, Teclis, Ungrim Ironfist, Alith Anar. ALso a range of bosses/mini-bosses for the likes of Nagash, Malekith, Archaon, Groimgor etc

Oh...and Gotrek & Felix.

August 24th, 2017, 11:22 pm
Denizen

odinsgrandson wrote:
This MIGHT mean that Ninja Division will produce some Warhammer or 40k based chibis. For those in doubt- Fantasy Flight was allowed to make minis for their GW properties so long as they couldn't be used in Warhammer or 40k. Fantasy Flight produced out of scale minis and busts to get around this restriction.
It is my belief that Chibi minis would be incompatible with 40k and Age of Sigmar, and are therefore fair game for Ninja Division. Depending on their contract, a limited edition set of Super Dungeon/Age of Sigmar crossovers might not be out of the question.

I doubt it's about the art style as much as it's about the functionality within the game mechanics. If you're thinking about using it in place of a GW figure, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

August 24th, 2017, 11:41 pm
Minion

I would also like to see Gotrek and Felix. Gotrek with that slayer mohawk would be awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing some chibi goblins either. Maybe they could even do some squig riders.

August 24th, 2017, 11:42 pm
Minion

The fallen angel Cypher from 40k and any of the dark angels chapter really.

genestealer cult too

August 24th, 2017, 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

I know it ain't happening, but I' d love to see some chibi high elves...

August 25th, 2017, 12:03 am
Denizen

i mentioned on their FB page to never be afraid to sculpt some chibi bloodletters and chibi plaguebearers, as i would buy 50 of each hahahahha

August 25th, 2017, 2:08 am
Mini-Boss

tat2artst wrote:
genestealer cult too

Oh my God, yes! This x100!

August 25th, 2017, 2:58 am
Mini-Boss

Lizardman wrote:
i mentioned on their FB page to never be afraid to sculpt some chibi bloodletters and chibi plaguebearers, as i would buy 50 of each hahahahha

YES!

August 25th, 2017, 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

50? Your plastic crack addiction has hit full fledged maturity! GW is expensive already, but averages around $3-$5 for most models. At SPM prices ($13/mini) you are nearly triple the cost lol. You would be looking at over $600 per 50. All that being said I'd buy them too because who in their right mind wouldn't fear my chibi blood demons being told to charge their lines by a commander crazy enough to pay those prices?

August 25th, 2017, 6:38 am
Denizen

Celestant prime

But in all fairness Id like to see my kickstarter before any crossover BS.

August 25th, 2017, 11:15 am
Denizen

oh great... ND is doing more cheap expansion into licensed stuff which is easy money and more away from SPM... personally, I don't see much good news here.. even worse I they start doing it for Super Dungeon.. Games workshop has been a joke for years, so much so that it lead to a lot of their shops having to close ¬_¬

August 25th, 2017, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Its's workshop IP - MEH!

August 25th, 2017, 2:57 pm
Minion

As much as I hate to admit, we all know that GW sets restrictions to the production of miniatures when licensing its IP, so that no one else profits from the miniatures themselves. "GW chibis" by SPM would be very popular, buuuut, it is not happening... :(

August 25th, 2017, 3:02 pm
Mini-Boss

spyrosbeam wrote:
As much as I hate to admit, we all know that GW sets restrictions to the production of miniatures when licensing its IP, so that no one else profits from the miniatures themselves. "GW chibis" by SPM would be very popular, buuuut, it is not happening... :(

On Facebook, the official Ninja Division account seemed to think that this was very much a possibility.

Last edited by odinsgrandson on August 25th, 2017, 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

August 25th, 2017, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

odinsgrandson wrote:
spyrosbeam wrote:

On Facebook, the official Ninja Division account seemed to think that this was very much a possibility.

This reply from them seems to indicate otherwise:

"sticking with mainly print for this one - so you'll get nice stuff that doesnt break the bank"

As for print stuff... I know I hinted at John that I dearly missed Man'o'war and that I felt it had a lot of potential to explore as a card / dice game. He seemed to agree.

August 25th, 2017, 3:36 pm
Mini-Boss

But that was just talking about Doomslayer. I'm sure they'll be making more card and dice games as well.

I wonder if they got the rights to the RPG? For some reason, I'd bet on those spreading out a bit.

Now I have no doubt that they thought about Chibi crossovers when they made the deal. There is simply no way that they didn't examine the contract very closely to know whether or not it would be possible -and possibly negotiated based on that.

Now, if GW said "absolutely not" then it is still possible that SPM would have taken the deal.

GW definitely prevented FFG from making 40k and WFB compatible minis- but FFG made busts and out of scale minis (which can't substitute easily as 40k minis). Ages ago, GW had a deal with MB to make games- and Hero Quest, Space Crusade and Battle Master all had in scale Warhammer Combatible minis- but I'm betting that GW wants to keep those sorts of games in house.

Ultimately, if GW make chibi daemons, they'd be similar to the busts and out of scale minis FFG made.

August 25th, 2017, 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

By GOLLY!

Produce those Fimirs and Chaos Warriors for our chibi HeroQuest while they can legally do it!

But really, if there's no chibi miniatures involved this is irrelevant news to me.
I absolutely do not care for a single of ND's non-miniature games. It's all about the minis.

August 25th, 2017, 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next