View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 6:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 How did you get into Super Dungeon Explore? 
Mini-Boss

Well, while we are waiting for any new information about Forgotten King, I thought I'd ask a question to the community. How did you hear about and get into Super Dungeon Explore? Do you have a fun story about getting the game?

For me, I remember seeing it at PAX East in Boston when I went in 2011 think. I spent a lot of time at the miniatures booths during the weekend, as the video game stuff was too crowded for me. I saw the cool display for the Super Dungeon Explore game. This one right here:

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic917536_md.jpg

I took a closer look and was really intrigued by the game. I was playing Warhammer at the time, and I had never seen miniatures quite like this. I love nostalgic RPGs, so the artwork amazed me right off the bat. I don't think the base game was out yet, so there was nothing to buy but the metal miniatures. Still it was fun talking to the people there and learning about the game. After that I kind of forgot about it for awhile. Within the next year I moved out my parents' house in Cleveland and moved south to Cincinnati.

So after living down here for awhile, my old friends contacted me. They were wondering if I was going to Ohayocon. I had been to different anime conventions up north and had a good time. I decided I'd go for a day to see them. My wife, girlfriend at the time, was going to stay at her friend's house in Columbus while I was there "geeking out." So I was hanging out with my friends and was having a good time at the different panels. We took a tour around the dealer's hall and I saw it - the boxed game of Super Dungeon Explore. I remembered seeing it back at PAX and looked at the box. Immediately I wanted it, but it had a hefty price tag of $99. I was hesitant to spend that much money on something I wasn't sure I was going to like. So I spent the rest of the day contemplating it. When were were about to leave I walked into one of the stores and decided I would go for it.

When I brought it up to the counter, the cashier was an older gentleman. He read the small faded sticker on the box as $69 instead of $99. I motioned to my friend to stay silent. I still feel a little bad about not speaking up, but it was nice to get that discount. It made sure I had enough gas to get home. My wife was making fun of me for buying it, but she got over it. Now she actually likes it quite a lot.

So that's my story. It was my first time going to PAX, and it was very fun. I would go every year if I could afford it. Unfortunately keeping my house has priority over conventions. Being an adult sucks. XD

March 31st, 2014, 10:26 pm
Mini-Boss

Worked at the local tabletop game store for a while and saw the game. I was looking for a dungeon crawler and this game totally catched my eyes. Especially the anime look and the promise of oldschool videogame action tempted me to buy this. And ofcourse, the fact that Ember Mage looked so cute on the box art convinced me even more (not make or break, but you get what I mean ;)) She is pure waifu material <33333333

I bought the game, assembled the minis and played 1-2 games. After that I decided to become a lifetime fan of this game! It had me trapped from the very first moment! The day after I bought it I went to the manager of the store and told him to order me one copy of the expansion Caverns of Roxor.

Not really a long story... But that is what made me fall for it.

<3

When all realities in which you can lose are eleminated, first then can you be proclaimed the winner.

March 31st, 2014, 10:50 pm
Dungeon Boss

I had been in a tabletop boardgame RPG slump. I grew up on HeroQuest and video game RPGs. Once I got back into the miniatures gaming hobby I tried a variety of different games, none of which really scratched the itch. This went on for about 10 years. I started looking at Descent, and it looked like it may be a good option.

Then came GenCon '10. I didn't go to it, but I was searching the net each day for any previews about what were new and exciting, and I spotted SDE. It looked like it combined that old-school NES/SNES RPG flavor I loved growing up with the miniatures dungeon crawl board game like HeroQuest. After seeing it, I was hooked. I bought the GenCon promos, the regular release metals, and played the heck out of the demo rules. Then it "officially" released and I continued the fun with the full set.

March 31st, 2014, 10:59 pm
Consul

I spotted the minis during some random google image search for something completely else. The minis looked interesting enough for me to stop what I was doing and open the image.
This led me to whatever page where I learned it was a new dungeon crawler game (like tang, I too come from a proud tradition of Hero Quest).
I read about it and liked how it sounded and especially the whole aesthetic.
I talked a lot about it at home and BAM! Out of nowhere my girlfriend got it for me for my birthday! I was really surprised!

Then we brought it to our summerhouse along with some friends - and spent 3 days trimming moldlines and gluing tiny kobold tails...
And then we started playing SUPER DUNGEON EXPLORE - never stopped since!

March 31st, 2014, 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Around September of last year, my buddies and I were looking for games to play for our usual game night. We had hit a rut in the road and, as we had initially met as either employees or patrons of GW, many were feeling the itch for a new minis game. As much as I loved the lore and models of a certain grimdark game, my experience in the company and the general direction the games were moving towards precluded any attempt I made to jump back into it.

Still, though, it had been a long time since I had delved into the madness that is miniatures gaming. I missed the quiet solitude of painting sessions. I missed the collecting of little toy soldiers whose very lives turned on my decisions and, very often, my horrendous dice rolling. I missed being a minis gamer. My task was clear; I had to find something to bring to game night that could scratch my itch for minis, be fun for the gaming group, and - most importantly - reinvigorate my love for the hobby itself.

Armed with the gamer's arsenal of free time and Google, I set about to research any and all minis games that my Google-Fu could find. Amidst the sea of games that flooded my monitor I found SDE. If nothing else it was, at first glance, the polar opposite of the grimdark universe I had secluded myself from all these years. Things looked bright, colorful, humorous, and... fun. My interest piqued, I set about to learn all I could about this new game.

Finding various reviews online, I became cautiously optimistic about this new game I had found. All signs pointed to the game being fun to play, and the models certainly made me want to jump right in, but I had run from minis only a few years back. I needed a definitive push to finally assuage the wounds of miniatures past. I found that push with the Watch It Played! video review. After seeing the game played out in front of my eyes I was finally able to calm the inner doubting Thomas. The miniatures and setting had gotten me to take notice, but the core mechanics finally made a believer out of me.

Debit card in hand, I promptly ordered my Core Set. Built and sorted, the box was carried off for its first test, game night. Over a few hours, my friends and I played our inaugural game of SDE. Yes, it was a typical first game experience of forgotten mechanics, rules referencing, and (despite the aforementioned rules referencing) misplayed rules. It was also something else, stupidly fun. SDE was requested for the following week, and the week after as well. It seems I had found the game I was looking for.

Since then, I have expanded the collection to every release with doubles of all the spawns (though seriously considering making it two of the paired and four of the singles) and a nice hefty case to lug it all around in. Our group has played many games of SDE, a few of which I had the rare pleasure of playing as a Hero, and enjoyed every minute of it. We've recently played our first game testing the Arena ruleset and enjoyed that, both as a change of pace and as a ruleset all its own. We can't wait for the Forgotten King to release and ship, and it seems I can't throw money at my monitor fast enough during the Kickstarter (which just leaves a mess of bills on the desk).

So, yeah, brevity isn't exactly my thing... But that's how I got into Super Dungeon Explore.

March 31st, 2014, 11:30 pm
Mini-Boss

I was in from the very beginning. I remember the model-per-day reveal on the website, the oversized metal minis that sold out very fast, and having very little info on how the game actually played for quite a long time.

March 31st, 2014, 11:32 pm
Consul

I had been aware of Soda Pop Minis for their Relic Knight models, and saw they were launching SDE. The preorder price was fair so I gambled on the game. Here I am, years later.

March 31st, 2014, 11:47 pm
Mini-Boss

Not really funny or interesting, but i was having one of my brother's friend who's name is chris burkenhagen make me a set of hard leather armor for airsoft.

In the time we were waiting for the oven timer to go over he asked if i was willing to try this game and hooked ever since.

March 31st, 2014, 11:55 pm
Ninja Corps

TheMiniaturesPage was running stories on SDE, had my friend Chris preorder me a copy at Gencon. Been an addict ever since.

April 1st, 2014, 12:10 am
Minion

It was around about November time 2011. I think I was reading a topic on BGG/Dakka about Space Hulk alternatives (or something), and someone mentioned upcoming SDE game. Being a big fan of dungeon crawlers, I looked it up and fell in love with the miniatures right away. Especially the Druid and Angry Bear. That was just a few days before it was released so I ended up preordaining it from America. It was expensive but totally worth it!

Actually found my post on Dakka from the day it turned up. (Though on recollection... it might have turned up the evening before, and I just didn't get around to posting until then :oops: ).

April 1st, 2014, 12:50 am
Denizen

I swear this topic was brought up before, but it has been a while. For me, I first heard of SDE way back before it was really announced to the public because an ad showed up on a forum I frequented talking about the game and asking for public play testers. Notably, I remember that they gave little charts as to how to use normal dice as replacements for their special dice, and that the Kobolds were listed as "Level 1 Monsters". There were also some differences with the original characters from what they are like now. The game disappeared off of my radar until a year or so later when I saw it... I forget how. It was definitely over the internet, but I recognized it and got very interested. Not long after picking the game up, I got into board gaming as a giant hobby in general.

April 1st, 2014, 3:04 am
Bottle Cap

My brother an I were walking around PAX 2010 and spotted the minis and demo boards that were set up. We played a couple games at the booth during the weekend with different heroes. Between the great minis and the fun rules, we were hooked. A year later at PAX 2011, we both preordered our copies.

April 1st, 2014, 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

I liked the Survivor Candy Concept on the Kingdom Death KS, did some research and got a late admission to Relic Knights. There i saw the SDE crossover minis. Got myself a copy of SDE from an online store and was hooked ever since...

April 1st, 2014, 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Minion

So I'm a LONG time Magic the Gathering player and actually was kind of annoyed when my buddy Doug used to have us play other games. I know why, MtG has one of the most fun and replayable concepts in gaming history, constructed deck building and because I invested so much time building the deck, all I wanted to do is play it. The idea that you put these cards together and make a theme or combo work and then play with your friends is great. So, after moving away from Orlando (I used to go to Cool Stuff Inc every weekend) I slowly realized how great I had it with a buddy owning a big game collection and began to sell my Magic Card's in favor of boardgames.

So this was about a year ago. I had a few games from when I lived in Florida like, Runebound, City of Thieves, Munchkin (I know...), but really just five or six games and a ton of Whitewolf RPG books. I had spare money so I got a bunch of staple games, but the first was Super Dungeon Explore. Like City of Thieves, I saw this game on a shelf at my favorite toy and comic shop Vault of Midnight, in Ann Arbor Michigan and was fixated on it.

This is kinda where this gets personal. I make internet videos and one of my good friends was Justin Carmical aka Jew Wario who recently committed suicide. He did videos on playing import Japanese retro games called You Can Play This and played a lot of table top games too. His first show was about Smallworld.

I bring this up because, a few months after I saw SDE, I was watching Justin's livestream and he was showing off his newly acquired copy with Candy and Cola promo and I was so jealous! I distinctly remember the Barbarian and really wanting to get the game. So fast forward when I was thinking of games to get with my spare money, SDE popped in my head. So I watched Tom Vasel's review and the Watch in Played episodes then ordered it up. Don't regret it one bit!

I LOVE this game and I'm so excited the rules are getting streamlined and the new models are so amazing and do clever things with the system. I'm excited to see these bright dice used in more story driven game play.

Anyway, last summer I went to ConBravo and got to play Arena with Justin. I had the Kobolds and the Ranger, I was destroyed by Mario and Turtles. So it was nice to sort of bow that part of my life. I miss the guy a lot, he was always pushing me to make new stuff. I've painted up most of my collection, though I've got a lot left to finish, I'm excited to have a full painted set. After this KS settles and I get some spare money, my next buy are those 3D boards!

Anyway, great that there's a place for these stories.

April 1st, 2014, 4:01 am
Denizen

Phil Buni wrote:
So this was about a year ago. I had a few games from when I lived in Florida like, Runebound, City of Thieves, Munchkin (I know...), but really just five or six games and a ton of Whitewolf RPG books. I had spare money so I got a bunch of staple games, but the first was Super Dungeon Explore. Like City of Thieves, I saw this game on a shelf at my favorite toy and comic shop Vault of Midnight, in Ann Arbor Michigan and was fixated on it.

I don't get why so many people hate Munchkin. I and almost all of my friends love it and, we too are avid gamers. I think the fact that Tom Vasel dislikes the game makes a lot of people iffy on it. I don't think it's the best game, but it's still a good game.

Also, I'm totally hoping to be at Vault of Midnight for International Table Top day on Saturday. :0

EDIT: I'm also sorry for your personal loss with JewWario. I've only known him through his video series, at it really was such a shame to lose him. He was such a light in the world.

April 1st, 2014, 4:31 am
Denizen

I got into SDE from my SO. he saw the adorable minis online, and had to buy some. [I think the SO is an ebay junkie.]
We got a metal Glimmerdusk Ranger, Riftling rogue, and a couple of kobolds, and the rest is history.

April 1st, 2014, 5:02 am
Denizen

I found it while on an ebay hunt for a new game. I needed something my son could play (he was 10) and identify with. We watch a lot of anime and toku so I stumbled onto Relic knights and then into SDE via a little bit of ebay searching.

—Gihren Zabi , Mobile Suit Gundam

April 1st, 2014, 5:21 am
Consul

Xylon Lionheart wrote:
Phil Buni wrote:
I had a few games from when I lived in Florida like, Runebound, City of Thieves, Munchkin (I know...),

I don't get why so many people hate Munchkin. I and almost all of my friends love it and, we too are avid gamers. I think the fact that Tom Vasel dislikes the game makes a lot of people iffy on it. I don't think it's the best game, but it's still a good game.

I have played Munchkin, but it's kinda flat for me. It's OK, and I get why it's popular, but for the same time, there are other things I'd rather play. I think it's lacking the strategy and tactical depth that I adore.

April 1st, 2014, 6:15 am
Denizen

Fell in love with the SDE Minis after their reveal at GenCon 2010. Have bought everything SDE (except King Starfire) since then.

April 1st, 2014, 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Minion

Mine was also slightly round-about. For my background, I'm a long-time tabletop gamer (cards, minis, boards, anything) and I was also at just the right age to play the NES/SNES generation Final Fantasy/Zelda/etc titles as an adolescent and have their influence burned into my brain.

I think I first spotted SDE while I was browsing around Boardgame Geek (looking I think for info on Defenders of the Realm, also a favorite of mine), it was on the 'hotness' list. I read up on the details and basically thought that this looked like a game I had to try. I ended up stumbling across a great sale and picked up the core game I want to say in early 2012. That was it for me, nothing too exciting.

-Will

April 1st, 2014, 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next