View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 19th, 2018, 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Who else has been to Gencon? What to expect? 
Mini-Boss

So I'm planning on attending Gencon this year. I've always wanted to go, so this would be my first time. I've only been to a couple other local conventions. Some were larger, but not on this scale. I did volunteer once for Ninja Division at one convention and had a blast. I've been in touch with their new marketing guy about doing it again at Gencon. I've got a hotel reservation already that is super close to the convention center already too. I was hoping that those who have gone to Gencon, or better yet volunteered at Gencon (either with Ninja Division or another company) could give me an idea on what to expect.

The last convention I basically worked the little demo table at their booth with Forgotten King in the morning. Then in the afternoon I ran a few games of Arcade mode with anyone that wanted to play. I'd imagine it would be very similar, but I'm still hoping for more. I know the events and everything is larger. What other things could I look forward to?

February 25th, 2018, 6:06 am
Minion

Well that all depends, really.

I'm sure you'll see events or panels with some popular games media personalities, like 'The Dice Tower', as well as presentations of all kinds of new games that we consumers don't even know exist yet -you might even get to try some of them out for yourself before the rest of your fellow gamers, which is awesome. Maybe with a bit of luck you'll get to see someone selling their latest crowdfunded game to random convention-goers before they ship one out to you. ^_^

All facetiousness aside, you'll have a great time. It's an absolute blast.

February 26th, 2018, 6:23 am
Moderator Ninja

My only advice is to relax and enjoy it. Don't put too much on your schedule and give yourself enough time to just enjoy the experience. Gencon is massive and nothing like any convention you have been to before.

February 26th, 2018, 1:01 pm
Denizen

Jestor's right - it is easy to get overwhelmed. Don't stress. You can't do everything. Walk around, have fun, try to relax. Bring good walking shoes - you're going to be on your feet a lot. Not a bad idea to have a backpack with some granola bars and some water bottles. Have cash, because a lot of booths won't have credit card readers. But hoard your cash because you'll need it.

Keep your ear to the rail for stuff that might be limited in quantity. Lots of places, their hottest things sell out as soon as the doors open (in some cases, before). If you really want the latest release, pick one or two and make a beeline when the doors open.

A better approach (IMO) is to walk the hall on the first day and keep a list of stuff you want and where it is and what it costs. Those three things are important - item name, location and price. Walk the whole hall, play demos, but don't spend your money on the first day. Then look at your list that first night and decide where you want to spend your money. If anything from FFG is on your list, hit them first because they have HUGE bags.

If you decide to buy a bunch of stuff and you fly to the show, you'll need to set aside some money for shipping. There's a UPS place at the show where you can ship boxes full of the stuff you buy. If you drive, leave room in the car on the way up or you'll be holding games in your lap.

Check the schedule of events early and decide what you want to do. Buy your tickets and book your seats if you want to go, but don't schedule yourself too many things or you'll get overwhelmed. Take it easy and give yourself time for breaks.

There are loads of restaurants right by the show, but to get to the good stuff you may have to get outside the immediate area. There are some great bars in downtown Indy, including a cool piano bar that GenCon people almost never find (because they're at The Ram). Steak & Shake has remarkably good service, but it's still going to fill up real fast.

One last note - shower every day, even if you don't think you stink. Not a bad idea to have a backup bar of deodorant in your backpack, either. You're going to sweat, and you may be 16 hours between visits to the hotel room. Be prepared for GenCon funk, because not everyone will take this advice.

February 26th, 2018, 5:14 pm
Mini-Boss

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I'm not really interested in other games. I really just want to be there to support ND. One thing I did hear that they often have exclusives at the booths for free. A friend who has gone to conventions told me that just scooping up the exclusives and selling them on ebay can pay for your whole trip. While that seems a little shady... if it could recoup some of my costs I might try. Is that even true?

February 27th, 2018, 3:58 am
Denizen

I haven't ever done that, so I couldn't say. If I get something seriously bitchin' at GenCon, I keep it.

February 27th, 2018, 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]