View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2017, 4:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Ninja All Star Crossover to SDE 
Bottle Cap

I made a card for Jorogumo. If anyone could play test her and give me feedback, I'd be eternally grateful.

Also, which other Ninja All-Stars cards would you like to see?

Image Image

April 12th, 2017, 4:42 am
Mini-Boss

At a quick glance I can see a couple of things that really jump out at me:

1) I prefer her as a dungeon boss, but that is just my opinion
2) Her stats, even for a mini boss, are terrible. She will be taken out super quickly. I know you gave her one green die for her Defense, but that's it. If she gets a Bane status effect, then she will have zero armour.
3) Silk Web for two actions is pretty horrible. first off only four range, which thematically makes sense (shooting webs) Going off the one green die on Dex however, it is all or nothing with the one roll. Even one green is not great, especially as the heroes should be somewhat tooled up by the time the mini-boss arrives.

I do like the Sweet Embrace however. it is very thematic and I like it better than the Blood Sucker effect that I had for her on my Dungeon boss mode. Maybe we can collaborate? ;)

April 12th, 2017, 1:21 pm
Bottle Cap

That's a great start!

Spazzfist has some great comments. Based on those and my (personal) "theme" I think Jorogumo's theme would be isolate and destroy. She would try to carve off a single target hero from the rest of the group for Sweet Embrace.

Change DEX to 2R 1B (bumps average roll from 2 to 3 and removes the Bane vulnerability)
Venom Fang: add +1R to STR (otherwise won't hit geared up heroes) and Pounce
Silk Web: Change from offensive to support (blue) action DEX vs DEX. Bump range to 6 Burst 1 (maybe 2?), add Bane & Knockdown, remove Slow
Change Sweet Embrace from "suffering from Slow" to "Suffering from Poison", add +1G if target is suffering from Poison status effect

So with the above setup, she would Silk Web heroes who are grouped to isolate one of them, Pounce on a lone victim to get the Poison status effect then use Sweet Embrace as a finisher. All in all this would take 2 activations so between them the heroes would need to recover from being webbed or poisoned before someone succumbs to Sweet Embrace.

That's just off the cuff, haven't play tested that of course!

April 12th, 2017, 6:48 pm
Bottle Cap

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys! I will defer nicely bump up her strength. I had wanted Pounce on Venom Can't for flavor, but I was worried it would give her too much mobility with her already high move and Sure Footing. That's a damned good point about her dex, I will adjust.

Burst at a higher range is a really good idea for the web shot. Right now she's all single target.

How do you feel about her defensive stat being dex? I'm not sure I've ever seen it on a card, but the rules specifically allow it and it seems to fit her thematically.

Spazz, Drachir, thanks for the comments. I'll implement both of them. Adjusting like this covers her lack of aoe, keeps the counterplay possibility of players removing status effects to prevent sweet embrace, and makes her web shot and venom fang make a little more sense thematically. Especially changing sweet embrace to trigger off of poison; the first hit sets up, the second hit strikes it home.

April 13th, 2017, 1:10 am
Bottle Cap

Dex for defense is allowed. Off the top of my head, Nyan-Nyan/Chaos Kitty, Wandering Minstrel, Black Claw Assassin, Kunoichi Candy, Princess Malya, Princess Ruby, Outcast Succubus/Succubus Vandella, Kunoichi, Ninja Cola, Tabbybrook Mage, Riftling Rogue, and maybe Von Drakk all use Dex for defense, and I'm sure there's more. No problem at all

My painted SDE gallery

April 13th, 2017, 2:40 am
Bottle Cap

I have made some changes, and this is rev1 of Jorogumo

ImageImage

I increased Venom Fangs cost to 2, and added knockdown and pounce. I increased her strength too, as it is her main offensive stat and I shouldn't have focused on dex so much.

I decreased her movement by 1 to bring her mobility a little more in line since pounce is crazy. Venom Fang is now pretty similar to chaos Kitty's first ability.

I added burst to her web shot, and increased the range. this should give her the ability to kite a little bit, as she's not too heart when it comes to health.

The increased cost on Venom Fang furthers the point that the Consul wants to get one target poisoned and then spam the heck out of Sweet Embrace on it to keep her topped off. The knockdown added to it also drives home the great theme that Drachir mentioned of isolating one target; a successful Venom Fang leaves one person both knocked down and poisoned, putting a serious hurt on their available action points or movement. This could often mean their group has to save them, and since Jorogumo can only do one or the other (Venom Fang or Silk Web), she has to choose to lock down a group, or start the single target attack (Venom Fang -> Sweet Embrace)

She also hits targets more easily when they are poisoned, which furthers the potential for counterplay from the heroes by curing poison, and furthers her combo of Venom Fang -> Sweet Embrace.

I wasnt sure if I should change Silk Web to a blue button ability so it wouldn't deal damage. It seems like that makes more sense (why would a silk web hurt?) But then it would suck. Maybe that's be worth it if I made it cost 1 action point as well?

Also, Spazz, collaboration sounds brilliant. :D What do you have in mind?

April 13th, 2017, 8:38 am
Mini-Boss

Sharkateer wrote:
Also, Spazz, collaboration sounds brilliant. :D What do you have in mind?

Look on page 2 of this thread! ;)

April 13th, 2017, 1:09 pm
Denizen

Im actually doing A NAS:SDE cross over for a raid for legends:

6 wings, one specializing in each element.

At the end of each wing is a Ronin who will be made into a boss appropriate for the wing.

I am using the ninja ambush to help crossover, but Ill post the bosses when I can. As well as Jogomuo and her two sisters when I can, which is the big boss fight.

I have been working on it though, Ill post what I have int he next couple of days.

April 13th, 2017, 2:23 pm
Bottle Cap

I like it! Was thinking of picking up Joro on my next trip to the FLGS and this has clinched it.

Given Testudo (sp) tower is on its way and the re-release of Caverns of Roxxor, why not keep the turtle theme and take on Kappa as your next conversion?

April 13th, 2017, 8:32 pm
Mini-Boss

@Sharkateer just curious why you opted for the mini boss mode for her. Why not a dungeon boss? She's certainly menacing enough!

April 13th, 2017, 11:15 pm
Bottle Cap

Drachir, thank you so much for the suggestion! I hadn't realized there was a turtle themed character in NAS. That works out well because I'm currently painting a warband of Rocktops.

Spazz, I didn't want to attempt a dungeon boss for my first card, as it would likely have been horribly imbalanced. Looking at the Legends Kickstarter again, there isn't female Drider the in there already, and a warband of spiders complete with spawners, so dungeon boss would definitely make the most sense.

April 14th, 2017, 2:39 am
Mini-Boss

Sharkateer wrote:
DSpazz, I didn't want to attempt a dungeon boss for my first card, as it would likely have been horribly imbalanced. Looking at the Legends Kickstarter again, there isn't female Drider the in there already, and a warband of spiders complete with spawners, so dungeon boss would definitely make the most sense.

Cool. Glad we can agree on that. I was also thinking of the upcoming spid-ants that would go really well with a whole spider themed dungeon!

One more thing, I am wondering if you would be willing to bend on that DEX for defense thing. I can get the sense of where you are coming from, envisioning her as a nimble skittering spider. But the fact is, that even the most nimble elephant is not going to be hard to hit, just because of their size! And sorry Jorogumo, this is not a fat joke, but you are roughly the size of a small elephant. I think once you start playtesting her, seeing the high speed with Surefoot and the Pounce is going to give you much of that sense of that nimble spider sense (similar to Selob, no?) that you are looking for.

Also have to say that I love how your Jorogumo comes out of the frame on the card. Very cool!

April 14th, 2017, 2:51 pm
Bottle Cap

Matter of factly, ND/SPM *really* should package a Jorogumo dungeon boss card set with Midnight Tower or the Archne mini boss. Jorogumo isn't especially "ninja"-like so the model as a cross over makes total sense, and the model is one of the best in all of SPM's lineup. I get that the Midnight Queen is the intended Midnight Tower boss, but a "Nether Elf" and spider themed nether rift setup would work really well with this (as the nether rift seems to be inspired by the underworld area of certain other game company's creative portfolio).

April 14th, 2017, 7:44 pm
Bottle Cap

Spazz, what would you like to see her armor set to if I used it instead of dex for defense rolls? I worry that giving her a decent armor stat would make her have too many good stats for a miniboss.

Also, I just finished Bome-Chan. I made her to support my Riffling warband, but I also made an alternate version with the Ninja All Stars background for the good folks in this thread who may want her for a ninja themed game.

ImageImage

Other version is available here if you'd rather her with a hellish background (I can't find any official art of the inside of the nether rifts) https://imgur.com/a/cxftR

Last edited by Sharkateer on April 16th, 2017, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2017, 12:58 am
Mini-Boss

Sharkateer wrote:
Spazz, what would you like to see her armor set to if I used it instead of dex for defense rolls? I worry that giving her a decent armor stat would make her have too many good stats for a miniboss.

Well, like I said before I had already done a draft of Jorogumo as a Dungeon Boss on page 2 of this thread. I gave her 2 stars, 2 blue and 2 red. This is well in line with other dungeon bosses.

Sharkateer wrote:

ImageImage

Other version is available here if you'd rather her with a hellish background (I can't find any official art of the inside of the nether rifts) https://imgur.com/a/cxftR

Some good ideas here but I feel that the 6 health AND Tough makes her TOO good and that Smack! is just asking for trouble. Especially for a mini boss.

EDIT - for reference

April 15th, 2017, 12:45 pm
Denizen

Spazzfist wrote:

EDIT - for reference

But wait, doesn't that card have no assigned defence stat? You forgot to add the Shield icon to ARM

April 15th, 2017, 4:44 pm
Mini-Boss

Clawandbyte wrote:
But wait, doesn't that card have no assigned defence stat? You forgot to add the Shield icon to ARM

Good point, but it would be safe to assume for now, that it is the stat which is actually decent!

April 15th, 2017, 6:09 pm
Ninja Corps

Spazzfist wrote:
Good point, but it would be safe to assume for now, that it is the stat which is actually decent!

Eep. Shield icon on DEX with 2R + 2G (some kind of spider slinky-ness) would be scary. Still get the guaranteed 2 from the green dice, but have the potential to scale to ridiculous.

April 15th, 2017, 9:10 pm
Mini-Boss

Meankeb wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:

Eep. Shield icon on DEX with 2R + 2G (some kind of spider slinky-ness) would be scary. Still get the guaranteed 2 from the green dice, but have the potential to scale to ridiculous.

Do you mean Will? I had put DEX as only 3 blue.

April 16th, 2017, 12:45 am
Bottle Cap

Ooooh, I see it now. I had actually made the same mistake as Meankeb!

April 16th, 2017, 1:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next