View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 9:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 SDE Hero Compendium website - updated 17th Feb 
Minion

Quick update: I have applied better compression to the scans, which has reduced the file size of all files by around 60% without any real noticeable loss of quality. Together with the Cloudfare hosting and caching the site should now load MUCH faster.

Contributing to the Compendium:

August 26th, 2016, 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Consul

It seems like you are missing King Sprout.

September 18th, 2016, 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Topher wrote:
Quick update: I have applied better compression to the scans, which has reduced the file size of all files by around 60% without any real noticeable loss of quality. Together with the Cloudfare hosting and caching the site should now load MUCH faster.

It does indeed - thanks!

September 18th, 2016, 5:38 pm
Consul

Also you miss an option in the first menu to select Pets.

Would it be an idea to be able to hover over a model to see it's card?
Or perhaps navigation arrows to see next and previous card once you pressed one?

September 18th, 2016, 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Navigation arrows are a good idea.

How about a filter for 16 bit vs 8 bit?

September 18th, 2016, 6:30 pm
Minion

Goblin-King wrote:
It seems like you are missing King Sprout.

Well spotted. I've added him back to the current test build along with a pet filter option.

Goblin-King wrote:
Would it be an idea to be able to hover over a model to see it's card?
Or perhaps navigation arrows to see next and previous card once you pressed one?

I have found a very snazzy alternative to the current image light-box but unfortunately it is not proving compatible with the sorting function. Sadly my coding skills are still very basic. For example I chose to hide the nav arrows on the live site as I could not find a way to make it respect the currently active filter.

As for hovers, that becomes an issue on touch enabled devices where there is no easy way to distinguish between a tap and a mouse hover.

Tranc wrote:
How about a filter for 16 bit vs 8 bit?

Not a bad idea. I'll have to find something mindless on TV one evening whilst I tap in the missing data from each card. It would also be nice to capture affinity and character type (human, undead etc).

I have also moved away from a static site in favor of storing the data in a series of JSON files. This should once again offer further speed boosts when using the site, whilst also making it easier to make content updates or to fix errors. The live site will be updated with the new format later this week. Assuming I can solve a few more issues then I also want to roll out my new hero strategy page with hero ratings, strategy advice etc based upon the excellent work of other members from the SDE community.

September 19th, 2016, 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Topher wrote:
I have also moved away from a static site in favor of storing the data in a series of JSON files. This should once again offer further speed boosts when using the site, whilst also making it easier to make content updates or to fix errors. The live site will be updated with the new format later this week. Assuming I can solve a few more issues then I also want to roll out my new hero strategy page with hero ratings, strategy advice etc based upon the excellent work of other members from the SDE community.

This site will become the ultimate SDE location for everything (Except buying stuff).

September 19th, 2016, 8:41 pm
Mini-Boss

Where are the shapeshift transformations? i.e. Angry Bear and Von Wilder.

September 19th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Denizen

Spazzfist wrote:
Where are the shapeshift transformations? i.e. Angry Bear and Von Wilder.

There is a shapeshift section under the spawning points.

It might be worth adding a note to all shapeshift models, to make it clear they have an extra card to go check out in the shapeshift section.

September 19th, 2016, 11:51 pm
Minion

Clawandbyte wrote:
This site will become the ultimate SDE location for everything (Except buying stuff).

One can only dream :D

Nithrock wrote:
It might be worth adding a note to all shapeshift models, to make it clear they have an extra card to go check out in the shapeshift section.

I have tried a few things to show the relationship but none felt right. Do you have any suggestions?

September 20th, 2016, 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Topher wrote:
I have tried a few things to show the relationship but none felt right. Do you have any suggestions?

When you click on a character in the top left it says 1/1 which seems to imply that clicking on a character brings up a gallery rather than a single image (each gallery only has 1 image in it though). Would it be possible to just also add the shapeshift card to that link so there would be an arrow or something showing next to the image that would show the shapeshift if clicked?

Having the shapeshift section is still important (especially for miserable toad) but if there was some way to view the cards for both shapeshifts when you select one of its forms, that would be really good.

Otherwise you could maybe just add ' - Shapeshift' to its name. Such as 'Deeproot Druid - Shapeshift' just to bring it to peoples' attention?

Although if the gallery suggestion works, you could also use that to include the monster cards when a spawn point is selected. (So you can click on a spawn point, see its card and then scroll through everything it spawns).

My lack of web development experience means this suggestion might be hard to implement though, I couldn't tell you either way.

Edit: Something like this should hopefully highlight it without being invasive.

September 20th, 2016, 4:51 am
Mini-Boss

Nithrock wrote:
Topher wrote:

When you click on a character in the top left it says 1/1 which seems to imply that clicking on a character brings up a gallery rather than a single image (each gallery only has 1 image in it though). Would it be possible to just also add the shapeshift card to that link so there would be an arrow or something showing next to the image that would show the shapeshift if clicked?

Having the shapeshift section is still important (especially for miserable toad) but if there was some way to view the cards for both shapeshifts when you select one of its forms, that would be really good.

Otherwise you could maybe just add ' - Shapeshift' to its name. Such as 'Deeproot Druid - Shapeshift' just to bring it to peoples' attention?

Although if the gallery suggestion works, you could also use that to include the monster cards when a spawn point is selected. (So you can click on a spawn point, see its card and then scroll through everything it spawns).

My lack of web development experience means this suggestion might be hard to implement though, I couldn't tell you either way.

Edit: Something like this should hopefully highlight it without being invasive.

That's exactly what I was looking for! :D

September 20th, 2016, 10:29 am
Minion

Interesting feedback guys, thanks!

I will stir the pot and see what I can cook up that can capture what you need :)

September 20th, 2016, 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Now that I know about this site I find myself using it more and more.

A couple of times though I have thought it would be nice if it had scans of all the tiles for quick reference. Are there plans to add tile images?

September 25th, 2016, 11:26 am
Denizen

Also Cat Burglar and Riftling warrior are both listed as available at retail. And it seems like the Deranged Alchemist from the Kickstarter hasn't been included on the website.

September 25th, 2016, 11:41 am
Minion

Thanks for the feedback Nithrock.

I've corrected those errors already but I've been waiting to push out the updates until the next version is complete. Just when I think it's ready I either find a new bug or think of a new feature. Definitely a case of scope creep :lol:

Here is a sample of my current test site with the new preview function showing the Ember Mage.

The hero rating radar graph is still to be added and I only thought of doing the 'works well with' section using hero icons tonight so that is also unfinished. I also plan on trying my hand at creating a few old school sprite icons for the rating, role and difficulty sections. The filter will also work with the card preview so that using the arrows to navigate between cards will not show something that has been excluded by the currently applied filter. It's still a bit buggy but I will figure it out eventually. The other significant change is that I have moved away from static html in favor of dynamically generated structure that pulls data from JSON files on page load. This will make it simpler to update the site in the future.

Once the hero section is functional, then I plan on giving the monster, bosses etc sections extra love. This means showing the spawn point for mobs, or on a spawn point showing each of the associated mob spawns. Boss sections will get whatever strategy comments I can gleam from more wise members of our little community.

Oh and I have plans for more filters too, such as affinity, spawn group, and theme. Yep, still lots to do :shock:

September 25th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Oh and the old image preview is gone for good. Pop-ups are lame on a desktop browser and even more so on a mobile one.

September 25th, 2016, 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Awesome stuff.

If you need help with anything, I am happy to offer services, but I have no web development skills so it would have to be other tasks - data entry, proof reading, etc.

If you do want to add tiles, I can try and scan all of mine (assuming digital versions don't exist, and soda pop won't mind; which they hopefully won't if they are happy with card scans).

September 25th, 2016, 12:14 pm
Minion

I will definitely take up your offer on data entry soon, and proof reading is always, always useful.

Just noticed you are also from Melbourne. Send me a PM with your suburb, and if you're close them we should meet up for a game :)

September 25th, 2016, 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Alright a bit of a non-update here, but bear with me.

A friend has contributed some much needed coding love to the Compendium that has allowed me to refine the interface yet again to include many more options in the drop-down filter menus.

I've come unstuck with plotting the radar graphs as I cannot render them on hidden elements (stupid plugin limitation). Using a different plugin worked in a sense, but rendering 40+ graphs on page load was not fun on a mobile device. I'll now start exploring options for rendering content on demand after page load.

Between full time work, plus doing overtime work on a series of large projects, and also my masters university study I am a little time poor right now. Thankfully the semester is almost finished. Once my exams are over I'll push out a real update.

Promise :)

October 14th, 2016, 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next