View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 15th, 2018, 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Super Dungeon: Exploration Add-on 
Mini-Boss

After thinking about it and some talk on another thread, I've decided and started to work on Super Dungeon: Exploration (Name will probably change in the end). This is a new Expansion for Super Dungeon, much like how Pet Parade is an optional Expansion which will add some more 'Exploration' features to the game.

So far I have written and worked out (dull day) the first and kinda main part of this. the Exploration deck. This is a deck of cards which can be used in junction with the new 'Search' feature. When the right situation happens, you may search the area for anything of value. You draw a card from the deck and follow it's actions. Maybe you will find a new piece of Loot or rarely, a Treasure! Maybe a left over potion? or maybe you'll get so carried away that a kobold will sneak up behind you and attack when you aren't looking.

I plan to add a couple of features to this, but it's a small option add-on which, like stated before, follows on the great idea with Pet Parade being an optional expansion.

Like said, I've pretty much got the Rules all written, I've worked out 20 card deck so far, but I want to expand that to at least 40. I also have some bits to work on before I feel like I want to show people too much, but feel free to ask questions or give ideas ^_^

================

July 2nd, 2018, 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

So its like a house ruled alternative explorer deck for 2.0?

Check out my blog: https://thelandofaporia.wordpress.com/

July 2nd, 2018, 5:45 pm
Mini-Boss

kinda but not really. that was a bit of the idea but the cards are.. well, completely different from the explorer deck and bringing them into the game is also different. Explorer deck pretty much only had the maximum of 2 cards per tile (one for landing on the tile for the first time, and one if you searched) and were mostly for Traps and Creeps. The exploration deck is more of a range of things. I have a card, for example, where you find a discarded but full potion bottle, or another one where you think you see something but it turns out to be an arrow that shoots out of the wall and hits you (you roll to defend). So it's kinda, a bit more advance. Also searching isn't as limited. Right now, the only limits are: 1 costs 1 action point, you can't be within line of sight of a enemy (oh sure they would let you search around right in front of them) and you can only do it once per activation. Bits are still subject to change, like I need to give it a quick run through.

Also, hopping to add a couple of more bits, but kinda yes ^_^

a snappy name is tricky.. right now, officially is 'Super Dungeon: Exploration' but I have wondered about 'Super Dungeon: Explorers in the dark' but I didn't like that.. too long.

================

July 2nd, 2018, 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Is this intended for current release (FK) with no turn limit or SDC/SDA 2.0 (MMC chart).

For the former, I think exploration cards are ok. For the SDC/SDA, adding things to the board that soak up actions/turns can feel bad if not balanced (this is basically the Challenge Deck).

Search action I don't think exists in 2.0 anymore, either. But if I were to search and sometimes find a potion or sometimes find more enemies, I may only be inclined to search if I'm snowballing, but then do I really need a potion at that point?

The way Stuffed Fables handled it was to have points of interest on the map and then you could interact with it by moving over it rather than spending an action and then 'something would happen'. I think maybe this may be a better way to handle it rather than having it cost action points. So maybe a system to generate 'points of interest' on the tile and lay down some sort of token (like chests) and when you 'explore' it, something happens. It might be a fun, lightweight thing where maybe a Kobold pops out, but then you roll a dice to see if they run away scared and drop a potion or they turn to fight you (so it's not just Boo Booties, which can be un-fun b/c they block/delay treasure).

July 2nd, 2018, 6:34 pm
Mini-Boss

New 2.0 not FK ^_^ but in theory can use it with FK if inclined.

Potion is a possible but not too much, there is a range of stuff. yeah, and the limit of it being an action point is that it limits it so it's not just a 'good chance of getting loot cards for nothing' option. I know what you mean about balancing action point actions, but that's kinda it. I'm trying to structure the deck and stuff in order to work out a balance so that it CAN be worth wasting a bit of time (action points) on doing this, but it's also equally possible that it might not be, so you don't do it much.

I see your idea about how 'stuffed fables' does it, but adding yet more tokens and points to what can be already clutters tiles seams.. a bad move. and also, like you kinda point out, it's not really too much difference then a chest.

I am adding some variations with what can happen when you search and how it's dealt with, but not going to full blown Legends route.

================

July 2nd, 2018, 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

You could also roll dice when a monster or spawn is defeated and see if it leaves a point of interest. As an optional add on it's hard to strike a balance of 'clutter' vs value added.

My issue /w explore cards in FK was that we'd always forget to flip them when we hit a new tile and given the balance was primarily towards 'bad things' there was rarely a situation where it added value to search rather than do basically everything else and as optional....just didn't feel good.

in Stuffed Fables, you flip a card and get to make a choice (usually giving up some resource) and then get a reward (or even punished!) but has a good variety without greatly impacting the game.

I think there'd be room to add it in SDA/SDC as an add-on, but I think this'd shine most in SDL where you can 'build in' the time to 'do' the explore effects.

July 2nd, 2018, 9:15 pm
Mini-Boss

Still working on this and have now expanded it to include a token sheet. problem is, the rules that is for is stated as 'Explore' only because.. doesn't quite work with Arcade.. though I might be able to with a small shift, but I'm not an Arcade mode player and.. I just don't think it would work well like that.. but oh well.

================

July 9th, 2018, 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Okay, I want to test more, but a couple of quick check outs show this doesn't do too badly so i'll release the current version:

Exploration Mk1:
comes with 3 PDF files:
1- Exploration Add-on Rule book
2- 40 card Explorer Deck (9 A4 sheets)
3- 63 Skull Token Sheet (1 A4 sheet)

http://www.tesp.co.uk/SDE/Exploration-MK1.zip

Feedback wise, I would prefer more playtesting feedback then theory cause thinks often play differently then you expect when you play them ^_^ There are probably spelling mistakes which I'll happily take note of and correct them. Sadly, at this time, it is Explore only (possible for Legends)

================

July 16th, 2018, 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Okay, had some time to do some full play tests.

Skull tokens seam to work well but introduce some more work for the consul (remembering not so much which token is what monster, but that the monsters you have are taken. this can be easily dealt with based on the consuls style. If you use a screen or something, you can put the monsters to one side that are on the field as tokens, or something like that. Just a case of making sure that if you have a 2 skull point monster to cover the 2 skull point token). Need to add something about Status effects through and some special case attacks.. Having the skull tokens all move a set amount works well (though in theory, this can mean that the odd monster with a movement of 0 gets to move but we can probably say for them odd times.. maybe just not move them.. tricky. However, the main problem is status effects. For example, I was playing a game where the monsters were hidden as skull tokens because there was no heroes on that tile and they were out of line of sight, however, the monster had to move OVER some lava which would, apart from being difficult terrain, would inflict fire. As the tokens are just that, They don't have hearts or anything.. in theory, if you remember which monster is which token, then you could deal with it, but it would give some things away.. maybe add something saying if a status effect is inflicted, the monster makes a noise or something and reveals itself... Same goes for the odd attack (I can't remember if there is one to tell the truth) which can attack with a range outside of line of sight. Again, same thing can happen as it 'reveals' the monster. No major issues there, just minor tweaks needed.

For the explorer deck. It didn't get used too much, which is fine, it doesn't NEED to be used too much, but i'm wandering if instead of a more 1:1 spilt between good and bad (though some of them bads are pretty good. One person got an 8-bit monster to appear by them, which turned out to be good for them as it meant there was enough monsters to gain an extra piece of loot) maybe it should be 2:1 or 3:1 spilt. Still, all in all, I think it did add a bit more of interest to the game without unbalancing it too much (though you could argue that it can bring out more loot which can be exchanged for treasure, giving you more equipment earlier, it doesn't really cause the Heroes were too busy on the first board dealing with the monsters and spawning point, but It gave something to do (and the odd monster) on the duller walk from Tile 1 to Tile 2 (of course, it depends on how you play, but you can have a time when the monsters and spawning point on Tile 1 are gone, all the other monsters on the board are on tile two, and you need to just move your heroes around to them which leaves you will spare action points you might as well use up somehow ^_^

================

July 30th, 2018, 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]