View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 24th, 2018, 4:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New Resin Model; So they're doing 2 a month now!? 
Minion

To be fair, this is my favorite one so far. Plus I like that forced shapeshift lke the toads. If only you got more than one shroom model though...

https://ninjadivision.com/shop-by-categ ... ancer.html

May 14th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Denizen

Well, I think it's early to say 2/month - it's 1 data point!

The good news is more product is good....for those that can afford it.

Too rich for me at the moment! I'm not sure when (if ever) the resin models will meet my price point again since I spent my $$ on Tusk Raider and Candy already and I prefer heroes to minibosses (3-6 heroes per game vs. 1-2 mini-boss).

I do like they're doing more shapeshift mechanics - this one seems more brutal!

Hoping when they get back into plastics the warbands won't increase in base price counter the resin mini bosses b/c $40 was enough for plastic 1 mini boss, 1 hero, and 2 spawn points and for right now it seems it's for 1 large resin mini boss or 1 large resin mini boss + 1 small mini boss (not sure what the profit margin would end up on fungomancer vs. warg).

I think I'm going to wait/hope on an ND sale (if they ever do one) b/f I can look into getting the new mini bosses!

May 15th, 2018, 2:48 am
Mini-Boss

All the new expensive resin models have broke me. As much as I would be excited for more content, I didn't want this. It sucks because the completionist in me is screaming, and it's hard to ignore.

May 15th, 2018, 9:49 am
Minion

sleepy_laughter wrote:
We've had a small hero, large hero, and mini boss - none of which we're lacking (I feel bad I can't play with all the mini bosses!). Extra mini bosses I think are good for Arena, but I don't actually know how popular that play is :).

I would love a new boss (with associated creeps), but expect it'll cost a pretty penny ($60+ I would imagine).

There are what, 3 (4) red bosses, 2 purple bosses, and 2 green bosses available? So 8 models included king starfire and starfire as separate. Then there are the 6 from SDE:L that we have preview cards we 'could' play.

Warbands I think we can expect to be plastic unless they're the crossover stuff like siege of the citadel.

So I think there's definitely room for another boss, but I'm worried about the price tag given the hoopla over the tusk raider.

Then there's the possibility they do something like...a bunch of creeps or terrain or nothing we'd expect. I mean, did anyone expect Randy?

I think it'd be better to deliver something on the coattails of the lore updates, like gnome, fennek, centaur related models, but as some folks noted, people will be upset b/c there isn't a plastic/cheaper alternative.

And I remember someone nothing we should have more frostbite stuff to go with the tusk raider and with the state of SDE:L, who knows if/when the level box will come out.

Usagi wrote:
prodigal_dreamer wrote:
If they did a boss with creeps, I'd suspect the markup to be closer too like 100.00, given the initial big base size and 6 creeps.

Keep in mind, one set of creeps would wear out a mold faster than the boss itself, so to make up for that, the cost would probably be pretty high...

That really depends on how many creeps they can mold at once in a single mold. If one mold has all the boss parts and one mold has all 6 creeps, they will wear out roughly at the same rate.

I stand by my previous statement based on the price of this model. Lol.

May 15th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Consul

eternaldream wrote:
All the new expensive resin models have broke me. As much as I would be excited for more content, I didn't want this. It sucks because the completionist in me is screaming, and it's hard to ignore.

Yeah... this is absolutely not how I want to collect SDE either. One big stream of expensive single models.
I saw the writing on the wall back when they threw Valentine Candy at us. I would have ruined myself if I had kept buying into every new release.

Having given it some thought, I guess a part of what annoys me with these releases, is that I'm not really 100% convinced I'll ever see Legends delivered.
Worst case, I would have spent a lot of money on models for a game that never came. I know I'm a bit extreme here, but we live in a time where some Kickstarters actually fail on delivering.
Nothing is certain...

May 15th, 2018, 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Goblin-King wrote:
eternaldream wrote:

Yeah... this is absolutely not how I want to collect SDE either. One big stream of expensive single models.
I saw the writing on the wall back when they threw Valentine Candy at us. I would have ruined myself if I had kept buying into every new release.

Having given it some thought, I guess a part of what annoys me with these releases, is that I'm not really 100% convinced I'll ever see Legends delivered.
Worst case, I would have spent a lot of money on models for a game that never came. I know I'm a bit extreme here, but we live in a time where some Kickstarters actually fail on delivering.
Nothing is certain...

I'm pretty sure these models are compatible with more than legends.

May 15th, 2018, 2:22 pm
Denizen

I would like to pause the discussion of the fantastic mushroom model for one moment, just long enough to say WHAT THE SODA IS UP WITH THE STORE.

I can't find it in the SPM store. I only found it because of the link above. And it's a DIFFERENT SODAING STORE.

Which won't let me log in because apparently, despite shopping through the store at SPM for years, THEY DON'T HAVE MY SODAING ACCOUNT.

Things these people are good at:
Making cool minis
Making fun games

Things these people are bad at:
Communication
UX
Organization
Customer Service
Anything else related to running a business so as not to frustrate the ever-loving SODA out of their fans

May 15th, 2018, 2:58 pm
Denizen

I don't think it necessarily makes sense for a company to *only* produce enough content that it can be purchased/catered by completionists and they do have to decide whether any product line/release strategy will maintain the fanbase vs. alienate folks vs. attract new customers. It sucks if you're a completionist, but like...if you were a GW fan, would get angry at them for releasing all their product b/c you can't afford/justify purchasing all of it?

Also, from my end, it's somewhat more fun if multiple folks have the core game, but different people have different expansions so it's not just all the same thing every time you play (of course I'm the only one around here I know that has SDE b/c it's intrinsically niche).

I've never loved shrooms, but that's not the case for everyone so I'm glad folks that are REALLY INTO SHROOMS got a model that I don't think I've seen the likes elsewhere. And didn't even need to wait until next month to see a release!

Also, all these new products that folks buy? Folks do get bored/tired with their collection and may eventually sell these off so there will eventually be a second hand market for these SPM store exclusives (just like GW models, which kind of blows my mind) and as long as SPM keeps them in stock, they'll at least have a price ceiling on resale (minus paint, of course).

========================

@InfinityMax - there is a SPM store and ND store. I'm not a fan of either b/c your account in SPM store was not ported to ND store and no ninja points are in ND store unless, supposedly, if you email their customer service and see if they can 'fix it'. Right now it's only on the ND store DESPITE also being in the news on the SPM store. The competency is...well, questionable, but solidly par for course.

========================

And until ND/SPM blow themselves up, get bought out, or someone else surpasses their quality/IP (which I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't yet), this is SDE mini life ^^;;

May 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Minion

sleepy_laughter wrote:
I don't think it necessarily makes sense for a company to *only* produce enough content that it can be purchased/catered by completionists and they do have to decide whether any product line/release strategy will maintain the fanbase vs. alienate folks vs. attract new customers. It sucks if you're a completionist, but like...if you were a GW fan, would get angry at them for releasing all their product b/c you can't afford/justify purchasing all of it?

Also, from my end, it's somewhat more fun if multiple folks have the core game, but different people have different expansions so it's not just all the same thing every time you play (of course I'm the only one around here I know that has SDE b/c it's intrinsically niche).

I've never loved shrooms, but that's not the case for everyone so I'm glad folks that are REALLY INTO SHROOMS got a model that I don't think I've seen the likes elsewhere. And didn't even need to wait until next month to see a release!

Also, all these new products that folks buy? Folks do get bored/tired with their collection and may eventually sell these off so there will eventually be a second hand market for these SPM store exclusives (just like GW models, which kind of blows my mind) and as long as SPM keeps them in stock, they'll at least have a price ceiling on resale (minus paint, of course).

========================

@InfinityMax - there is a SPM store and ND store. I'm not a fan of either b/c your account in SPM store was not ported to ND store and no ninja points are in ND store unless, supposedly, if you email their customer service and see if they can 'fix it'. Right now it's only on the ND store DESPITE also being in the news on the SPM store. The competency is...well, questionable, but solidly par for course.

========================

And until ND/SPM blow themselves up, get bought out, or someone else surpasses their quality/IP (which I'm honestly surprised someone hasn't yet), this is SDE mini life ^^;;

I mean, I get what you're saying about GW, but let's put a couple things in perspective:

1) They're UBER niche. Pretty much the people still buying are the die-hard fans, and even then, they're wearing down because to play a 60- 100.00 board game, the pieces are getting to be upwards of HALF THE COST OF THE GAME. That's ludicrous.

2) It's a boardgame. GW has, what? Hero Quest? But their primary income and fanbase is in the tabletop war-gaming section, and we all know the price of entry to THAT world. SDE, was never that world to start, and won't be there to finish, so they know they wrong.

3) They know they're preying on completionists. It's how the tabletop gaming world works. The only problem is, they're pushing it, because their original fans know how it used to be, and now, it feels like they're over- milking.

4) Their communication on all fronts about this stinks. I don't even know if i can dock them on this because consumers keep buying despite these facts. It's like crack dealers. They know they can get away with it, so they continue to push the envelope. Only in this case, the well is running dry...

All and all, it's whatevs, but they better do something quick because their fans will only tolerate this game for so long.

May 15th, 2018, 3:40 pm
Denizen

@prodigal_dreamer

Those are all fair points. I mean, I got OUT of GW into SDE expressly b/c of the lower cost of entry and (more) reasonable expansions (at the time). If this was the climate for entry into the game, SDE would be a hard pass for me and I'm sure I would not have missed out and would have plenty of other games to play and enjoy.

The opportunity cost IS ridiculous and I guess I understand what you mean by catering to completionists b/c anyone else would spend there money elsewhere.

That being said, outside of the folks that enjoy playing SDE, there are also plenty of hobbyists/gamers that like the models for just the models and use them in other games. That's a bit beyond what I'm willing to do, but I'm also over here still painting models the same as the card b/c that's how I roll/paint :).

Communication is bad. No way around it. But yeah, stuff sells. Also, communication for businesses/community management, etc. didn't used to be the norm or even a practical part of the business strategy. But now expectations are much higher and some companies rise to the challenge and others don't. It's still a capitalist marketplace, right? So if the fanbase supports the industry with its current incarnation then that justifies its existence.

And yeah, they should do something better, but I don't think I'm going to quit the game b/c they're releasing product I can't afford/am interested in buying. That won't hold true for everyone, though.

May 15th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Minion

I think what saddens me about it is, I want to support them and this wonderful world/ product they built, but it gets harder. I mean, to be honest, between the Worg and the Fungomancer, I could easily sculpt the Worg, and mod an extra Okonoshrrom into a fungomancer and make up to SIX Brave Mushroom shapeshifts! Especially when they provide the card info online, you could just print it out and proxy....

I bought a Fungomancer despite my statement. I like the design, but my point still stands.

May 15th, 2018, 4:11 pm
Denizen

I don't disagree, but I also think support isn't necessarily just about $$$. Technically taking the time to even come to the boards and interact counts as support, right? :). Being patient/not going on a rage bender and waiting on the KS to deliver is also a form of support. And nope, I agree, not easy. At least my wife isn't asking me where that money went =P.

As for being able to sculpt and mod those models, I reckon that's the case with a lot of folks that buy minis - it's not that they can't, but it's more convenient/efficient to just buy the models. I'm a for sure can't/not worth my time :D.

I do like that they provide the card online to support print and proxy. Else we'd be waiting for someone to post something on BGG or the like.

==========================

Back to the topic - I think the second release this month took folks by surprise and it'll be interesting to see if we see multiple product releases.

At the same time, it still feels like it punishes folks that pull the trigger immediately b/c they get dinged on shipping (which has been a sore subject for everyone it feels!). I think there will potentially be more folks in my camp where I'm glad to see the product, but will wait to purchase until the current onslaught of models are released to save on shipping (or maybe until interest ebbs and I go do something else for the next long wait/haul!).

May 15th, 2018, 5:10 pm
Consul

Usagi wrote:
I'm pretty sure these models are compatible with more than legends.

The confusion is understandable as the Legends *Kickstarter* is de facto a Kickstarter for rules v.2.
So what I actually meant was "I'm not convinced neither Legends nor SDE v.2 will ever deliver".

Or do you mean Arena? Or just proxies in other games not related at all to SDE?

May 15th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Yeah, I got the warg and I think it's a pretty bitchin model, but I may have to pass on the shroom villain just because I can't use my points. Also, are we to believe that now the mini comes with a textured base, or will I have to buy another one off Shapeways?

For crying out loud, SPM, do better.

EDIT: I've decided to skip the fungomancer for sure. I actually added one to my cart and was on my way to pay when this whole login thing went sideways. Add to that the fact that I'm pretty sure this will come with a flat base - but I can't tell because it wouldn't be the first time I got something that wasn't what I ordered.

Sorry, SPM, but your absurdity cost you my 40 bucks.

May 15th, 2018, 5:29 pm
Minion

InfinityMax wrote:
Yeah, I got the warg and I think it's a pretty bitchin model, but I may have to pass on the shroom villain just because I can't use my points. Also, are we to believe that now the mini comes with a textured base, or will I have to buy another one off Shapeways?

For crying out loud, SPM, do better.

EDIT: I've decided to skip the fungomancer for sure. I actually added one to my cart and was on my way to pay when this whole login thing went sideways. Add to that the fact that I'm pretty sure this will come with a flat base - but I can't tell because it wouldn't be the first time I got something that wasn't what I ordered.

Sorry, SPM, but your absurdity cost you my 40 bucks.

They admitted on facebook that it will be a flat black base and that the reason it's tecxtured is because that's just the way the 3D sculptor's program has it saved or some such thing.

Personally, I know they can switch it to pure black since the Siege of the Citadel reders were on black bases. :3

May 15th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Denizen

It's either sloppy or they just don't care.

Either way, it doesn't help them.

May 15th, 2018, 6:39 pm
Minion

Switching to a plain base on a 3D render has to be the easiest thing to fix. I should know, I make a living working in 3D parts and assemblies.

And the customs we non-US citizens have to pay in addition to shipping AND in addition to currency exchange rates? You know, it is starting to cost, for a SINGLE figure, the price of a FULL GAME. Here is the break down of the Tusk Raider as an example :

Price plus shipping : 50$
Adjusted price to canadian currency (x1.3) : 65$
Customs (really, just plain sales taxes, but they add handling fees to that...) : ~20$
Grand total for a single plastic figure : 85$ (65$ US)

No one forces me to buy, I get it. And once a month, I can still live with that. It is as much a hobby as it is a game I love to play. BUT. Is there no way we can at the very least buy through a FLGS? It would end up being less expensive for me, would give a slight margin to the struggling stores and avoid so much frustration. Or at least, that's what I think.

For example, the solo figures (heroes, mini bosses) are sold for 10-14$ in online game stores in Canada. Yes, in CAN $, so between 7.50$ and 11.00$ US. Without customs, only sales taxes and shipping when necessary, less than 20$. If I were to buy the same from SPM webstore, it would amount to almost 37$.

And that ND/SPM webstore confusion is really not helping.

May 15th, 2018, 6:55 pm
Denizen

Im just more annoyed by the antics of, this is NINJA Division so I can't use my Ninja points, you can only use those on the Soda Pop store. Thats annoying because that's what makes me okay with the shipping.

May 15th, 2018, 7:03 pm
Denizen

Yes! Drew, that's the biggest thing keeping me from ordering the mushroom guy. I have a lot of points. I want to use them to offset the shipping. Putting the figure in a different store (FREAKING WHY?!) makes it more expensive, and also means I can't use the points I've earned by being a loyal customer.

It's like they are saying 'hey, loyal customer, we think you suck.'

May 15th, 2018, 7:24 pm
Denizen

they have said a few hours ago it'll go on the sodapop site too.. annoying lag but there you go

================

May 15th, 2018, 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next