View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 21st, 2019, 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Forum Rule update 
Mini-Boss

Okay.. When did the Forum rules change? it seams correct information and some theories are just about allowed, Misinformation and some other theories are praised and seen as the best things to post, and correcting misinformation is shunned as a major rule breaker..

I'm just wondering when the rules were updated to this and where the forum rules are now located, since they don't seem to be in the 'Forum rules' topic..

Personally, theories are find, and stated as such, I have no problem, but when information which is theories are posed as fact, and clear information is posed, why is this somehow okay?

Okay, I know the Be polite is taking to be very lax, Spam is fine, unconstructive or wholly negative is seen as the best/normal thing to pose.. hateful, defamatory, vulgar and invasive of privacy I also very much allowed.. I'm not getting at any of the mods (only one these days?) but.. huh? If this is all fine now, Okay.. Fine.. just contradicting it badly is... highly annoying to say the least.. I mean, I've had insults fly at me, some VERY Personal and VERY insulting which I would not tolerate in any real life (not that just posting on the internet isn't real) and some which would be passed as a police matter, but they all seem fine here now, despite the above mentioned 'Forum Rules' topic saying that's not the case..

Can anyone point out where the new rules are located and anyone with the required permission, edit or amend the rules topic to include the updates..

================

February 21st, 2019, 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I'm not sure what you're referring to?

Also I'm not sure what you're getting at? Are you asking for there to be more moderation against the opinion that ND has failed/will fail/cannot succeed at the KS?

The Forum Rules topic is posted/pinned by Nekodachi who no longer works @ SPM/ND. Ninja Scott also no longer works there so I don't anticipate there is any official ND presence on the SPM forums at this time.

Which means (as has been in the case for quite some time), volunteer moderators like Jestor enforce the rules.

i think that if you feel the forum rules have been violated or you have been personally attacked, the best way to get a moderator involved is to PM one and/or see if you can report a post as opposed to making a new topic.

February 21st, 2019, 9:56 pm
Mini-Boss

Sorry, what I was getting out was not people moaning at ND.. they have that right. But there has also been a lot of misinformation pretending it's real, like on the KS.. this place is nowhere near as much of a 'hive of scum and villainy' as that, but still.. ND as a company is still going. It spent (for various reasons) the money I needed to produce what it promised to produce (though it was on a not a guarantee biases as shown by US legal checking (the AG)). It is trying, though we can debate how hard cause we do not know, to get some money to get products out. Some people are trying to STOP them from doing that so everyone loses everything. Not nice but okay.

<Retracted on rereading section>

Now, I'll say this, I think I might have posted my original post for this thread as a bit unfair, more a case of things building up.. and though I try to sit on a post for a few hours at least before I post it if it's something like that, to make such it's not as much the heat of the moment, without going into detail which.. I do not wish to, I did feel like things are just getting to a case where people can't post anything positive without insults, can't ask possible questions or anything. It was becoming a totally negative place. It would be like if you wanted to post on a forum about a long dead company from the 80s or 70s but instead of talking about the good and stuff, everyone just wanted to sulk about one thing that happened to kill it.. Boy, just imagine if you couldn't go to a single Atari place without everyone just saying "well, since Tremail killed the company, it's all been worthless rubbish which is why I burn anything I see with an Atari Fuji on it".

One major feature of learning is to learn from the mistakes of the past so they aren't repeated and something better can be built on it. Look at Marie Sklodowska Curie (she was pretty proud and always kept her polish name even after marriage, just added her husbands name).. While she refused to believe radiation was dangerous (even when he killed her.. I'll admit at first no-one knew it was a danger, but after the point when risks and danger was known, she still refused and lead to the deaths of.. a lot of people, including herself). People used what happened to her and learnt from it. they moved on from it and carried on, and did a lot of good. If we were stuck in the mindset that radiation was harmless, or even that it was fatal, a lot of stuff that was built on it, wouldn't have happened. People fight wars.. they then become friends with the enemy, not stuck in the mindset that all are always the enemy. I am English. Yet I have Friends who are Scotish, Irish, North American, German, Norwegian, Pro-monarchy, anti-monarchy, Labourite, Tory, Monster rating Loony, Hetreosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, Asexual and even selfsexual. Past wars are the past. never forget them and o what you can to see the future is better..

ND has made mistake, it has screw up a few things, not all whole due to them but unless they keep repeating the mistakes, it doesn't matter who is the escape goat. Move on. see what can be done. Are they still trying to look for more money? is the plans for COS still?, any idea of how much harm all the flaming and virtual protesting is stopping the company from progressing? How are the volunteers and reps coping with abuse people claim to be throwing at them at the cons and the like?.

I'm side tracking, sorry.. I still feel it's getting hard to talk about things FAIRLY and to keep a record of the facts vs the hearsay and that since it seams to be company policy to allow insults but nothing else, it is much harder to keep track of things.. but I prefer to have things in the open as you can discuses them and see if your view is correct or wrong. Open forums are there to be open.

================

February 22nd, 2019, 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I think the current situation is a direct result of ND's policies (comm silence until recently) and inability to communicate bad news in line with backer's expectations and take criticism (warranted or not).

As for this forum - a good number of old forum goer's consider the forum dead as it is no longer a direct contact/link with the company and, as you've said, there's a lot of noise.

But speculation is not wrong in and of itself and just like anything on the internet, it's up to the consumer to decide if what they're presented with is accurate/trustworthy.

The issue /w ND is that they've burnt their trust so when they present what they consider facts, others may not trust that information and/or anything that challenges their perspective, which as we know, is part of the issue with an echo chamber.

That's one part. The other part is people acting on their beliefs that they feel are justified to attack ND and other entities to sabotage their projects/livelihood. At what point do you label them criminals or terrorists? If they technically do not break any law, but cause harm, what steps/tools are in place to mitigate or prevent their intrusion?

I think platforms like KS where this most recently occurred /w IDW and Questron are vulnerable to these situations if/when folks do it out of malice (whether they realize it or not) b/c they are built on the convent that KS creators and backers are not scammers.

Well, I rambled too, now :)

February 22nd, 2019, 6:30 pm
Mini-Boss

Speculation is fine ^_^ as long as it is marked.. basically, not stated speculation as fact. and yes, the internet has been going downhill like everything else since the early 80s ¬_¬; (sigh.. anyone else miss putting the phone speaker onto the modem and showing off that you BOTHERED to add custom gear to stop the noise bleeding into the modem and cutting off your connection?... main problem with the great film wargames.. you couldn't BE that noisy in a room with one of them modems... and boy, I sound much older then I am...

Ever heard of an American term called 'Toy Swapping'? It's mostly done by either people being TOTAL gits or people who think companies screwed them so they are only getting what they are entitled to..

anyway.. erm.. IDW is a company that I think can go to hell... if people knew how much worse they are then anything ND has done.. sigh. but that's personal business so yeah.. not wanting to explain that and take that on the basis of that.. meaning ignore me cause I got nothing to back it up ^_^. but if you are saying that I think you are saying which is kinda like me.. the malice is mostly (if they know it or not) aimed partly at the company but also to people that backed there work, which is most likely fair more then the number in the company.

Oh and when do you label people criminals or terrorists? erm.. not harm? ever been to facebook? wanna do a count of the number of suicides, murders etc, it has helped due to spread and promotion of bullying? no different then in most places apart from the idiot kids who think facebook is some new fancy thing to be on every second of your life. ( I kinda miss MS Chat with it's comic book mode.. that was fun..).. I do a lot of work with people and related to people who have problems due to emotional bulling which can be done in person or online via spreading of hate and insults all the time.. it's not nice at all.. You are justified to a point, but when some take it too far it's a crime which too many places over look. and I can't remember the name of the crime which is where you do stuff to stop someone from being able to get a job.. I should know the name... it's all to do with loss of earnings.. Civil law if its a smaller amount, which can be at the petty crimes court.. But as I have said before, the KS never had anything saying "This is NOT a form of investments where you have some risks".. it's in the T&C.. I've backed two projects on the better Indiegogo which (so far) I've been more then happy with (the current one is still going and starts filming work in a couple of months, Also backed via another system for a project series by someone which, basically it's been a couple of years with no real sign of final outcome yet, but, I will admit, they have been a bit more open about the status ^_^. (Named withheld to avoid incriminating people unfairly).

This might be an 'official' forum, but does it need to have official feedback all the time? or ever? sure, it's nice but.. needed?.. not a place for fans to talk about stuff and spread ideas? huh.. I remember when forums were for that.. an upgrade of fanzines, even ones which were 'started' by officials.. like most fan clubs.... some of them allowed a lot that the company wouldn't have allowed, but did cause it was 'fan' subdivision.. oh well..

but yeah.. I know, if someone posts "I'm gonna kill you for your crap belief you wanking tosser" I shouldn't pay attention.. they are mostly just being mean for the sake of it.. happens all over.. doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though..

Anyway.. I've enjoyed this.. talking and discussing ideas in an open forum.. I enjoy open debates with people with different views and ideas, even if people (very much include myself in this) can have problems fully expressing there ideas and views across.

I think ND need to bother with going BACK to the time they had some 'official' fan help in the form of some more volunteers and stuff.. last I heard, the local area groups (like ND UK, ND German etc) were volunteers.. but they are soo inactive compared to what they could do.. mostly cause of facebook… there is soo much a company can do to help rebuild itself.. Look at Apple... they did a lot of REALLY bad stuff, and even with the recent (fairly) show of how they opened had and allowed Virus on Macs and other iOS products for months (that's how long then need and documented the stuff) and DIDN'T even report it to the AV provides which are normally done by other companies, the fact that even Apple don't deny how they overcharge people, and people still will flock to them.. they have done WAY more harm to WAY more people then ND.. and yet people are willing to say "Oh well"... don't understand it but it shows how under or non paid staff can help matters.. anyway.. If ND and ND groups had some form of contact via private and semi-private means, things could be rebuilt.. I have suggested to them about this, or something like it and .. well, I think who I contacted didn't do much help cause they didn't seam to understand the term 'volunteer'... sigh..

The company does need to draw a line and start to rebuild stuff.. I think they can do it.. I just think they need some people to steer them into that right direction.. But they are still in the 'American ninja' mode.. ND do there own stuff, they also work/worked with Backspindle, Edge, loot, etcv but there site is... lacking too much.. if they start by rebulding what is there and making it accessible and something of interest.. Do the odd 'freebie download' stuff (like maybe the odd downloadable model or cards) for there own stuff, and build up a better rep.. most of all of this can be done without a huge budget, then things can be built up again.. help sort out the fans from the annoyed people who you can help, to the people who are just trolling..

I'll have to try and find a better contact address and try to do a proper project outlay of what I think they should do or atleast try.. if something isn't gonna do much more harm, but can do good? why not do it.. Maybe I should just use some of my webspace on a little fan place.. see what happens.. I do a lot and .. well, hopefully I might soon have employment enough to pay for something (like maybe pick up the Iron golem) but.. even a couple of hours a day or a week will deal with stuff..

sadly I can't go to the discord place cause... its discord.. people aren't willing to pay the fees for me..

================

February 22nd, 2019, 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12927

There are the forum rules. They haven't been changed in several years as you can see. I basically make up my own rules and use my own judgement. I have seen nothing here that is over the top speculation that I have not shut down directly or through PMs.

If you have issues with the moderation here please let me know. If you are unwilling to let me know, feel free to email Deke though I doubt he would oppose any decision I have made since I discuss most of them with him.

Shane/Jestor

February 22nd, 2019, 10:40 pm
Mini-Boss

fair enough

================

February 22nd, 2019, 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

oh, and jesty, if you got deke's eye, how about a brief comment or something about why not let a volunteer or two do something with a tiny bit of input from the company to try and help the good will and show atleast the fans that the company hasn't forsaken them? I've been doing a mockup idea for a fanzine for a while now.. kinda like the old days when the companies didn't do anything like this, but the fans did it themselves, even for long dead stuff (remember, before all the official gaming mags, there were intependant fan ones). I was toying around with sharing the mock-up issue, getting some input from people and maybe being able to do 2 to 4 a year.. based mostly on the old days gaming mags... even had my eye on a couple of people on this forum who I hopped would be perfect for doing a little something ^_^

but.. see how it goes.. a company does need to do something to TRY and regain some respect and trust. and like I said, I don't think SPM/ND is too far gone to be able to.. if they try.. even if the company itself doesn't do a whole lot, but a tiny bit to help..

================

February 23rd, 2019, 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Moderator Ninja

You wouldn't need their permission to do a fanzine. I know when someone was doing the old one a couple of the Soda Pop guys did interviews and such. I'm not the guy to contact Deke. I only contact him for stuff that pertains to the forums.

February 24th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Mini-Boss

I wasn't aware IDW had any sort of bad rep, but I've also not been involved in following any board game companies until I came back to SDE last year.

As for discord fees...discord is free to use? Not sure what fees you are referring to.

And as for volunteers/fans doing stuff -- that's basically what's happening on the discord, FB, and other social media with folks sharing their paint jobs, battle reports, running painting competitions.

February 25th, 2019, 5:31 pm
Mini-Boss

IDW is.. well.. I kinda don't want to go into some of the mess cause it's one of these cases of depending on who you talk to and what your view points are, but.. yeah.. there are a number of bad things.. and stuff that gives a bad taste... bit upset that I found out Stan Saki is now moving his Usagi comic from Dark Horse to IDW.. and it's gonna be in colour now ¬_¬; Dark horse have been a bit iffy on the fees but.. I don't know if it's just because of his personal issues but changing to full colour for the main series is kinda a kick in the teeth compared to his stated reasons for colour and black and white and various things as stated in the past when he did a colour mini series or the odd colour special..

as for fees.. I didn't say Discord fees.. I said the "people aren't willing to pay the fees for me..". there are... reasons which mean I would need to be paid to go there..

I know I'm old fashioned and very moral and ethical but.. If you don't have your morals and ethics, you have nothing.

================

February 26th, 2019, 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]