View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 18th, 2018, 10:19 am



Reply to topic  [ 3492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 175  Next
 Legends Update Thread 
Author Message
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 9:02 am
Posts: 499
Location: South East England
Oh, it will have more then 2 dungeons. I would expect atleast 6 adventures in the Dragon's horn campaign but don't trust me on that.

What I meant by like the Arena fold up board is having it being a card cored fold up map. Not that it was all one big adventure but that it would fold and be carded. but saying 'Poster' kinda lends itself more to paper stock. Also, we KINDA know the box size as they are keeping most or all at the same size (give or take a bit of height).

_________________
================
If you want to see some SD related stuff I've made and shared, why not check out my thread:
http://community.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14638
================


April 16th, 2018, 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Minion
User avatar

Joined: February 14th, 2017, 11:28 pm
Posts: 208
Wow, that was quite an update! Lots of words in there.

You know what though, I'm having a hard time reading it, I don't quite think it's actually written in proper English... Pretty sure Google Translate can help with this though.

Okay I found it, let's go ahead and translate from Bullspit to English:

Quote:
Gnomes have always been a part of Super Dungeon. Though they lurk in the background of model releases their impact on Crystalia is real.

Translation: "Most of the fiction samples I've provided from the book actually have nothing to do with anything in the game, so here's a flimsy attempt at trying to justify yet another update about something that isn't actually in our product line. No really, look *waves fingers* justification... Sparkleburst..."

Hm, well that was certainly an odd thing to say. What else doesn't translator have for us?

Quote:
Clockwork Cove is, technologically speaking, the most advanced realm in the land. Gnomes and their inventions are the source of firearms and all sorts of magi-mechanical wonders. A gnomish artificer was even instrumental in the disappearance of Princess Amethyst, through his creation of her clockwork guardian.

Translation: "We clearly recognize that you're pretty fed up with updates about characters and species that won't actually be in this game, and we also recognize that we should probably at LEAST try to pick out some topics that are maybe a LITTLE relevant... But we either don't want to, or we have literally written. An entire book of fluff that has absolutely no connection to the world of Super Dungeon Explore. Well let you figure out where that falls between column A and Column B. Pro tip: It's entirely both! Sparkleburst!"


Quote:
While their importance in the setting is undeniable, conceptually they have remained something of an enigma, with our sole piece of gnome art appearing in the Forgotten King Explorer's Handbook.

Translation: "What? Wasn't my paper thin handwave enough to convince you that this is totally relevant? God, you probably don't believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, do you? Pfft. Fine, here's literally the ONLY piece of art we could find ANYWHERE of a gnome, taken from a product that we stopped producing literally years ago. See? It's totally connected... To a product we no longer make... Sparkleburst!"

So glad we could get some more info on a race that they've literally NEVER produced in plastic, and probably never will. I mean, we were already annoyed with the centaur that was only ever in one game as a single mini. Then there was the Fennek which only ever appeared in Super Dungeon Arena -the one major Super Dungoen product that stores haven't liquidated from their shelves. Hey, while you're thinking about it, why not buy a copy right now, I hear they out a Fennek in there with all of the other miniatur- wait a minute... There's only one miniature in that thing? Well.. it is a Fennek, so go buy it! Yeah!

Clearly, this race that they've chosen never to let players even interact with is SUPER relevant to Super Dungeon.

Seriously, there has to be SOMETHING in that time of fluff they've wrote. That at least fleshes out the characters and races we ARE going to play in Legends... At least that would be a little relevant.


April 19th, 2018, 2:17 am
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2426
TheHandsomeDan wrote:
Wow, that was quite an update! Lots of words in there.

You know what though, I'm having a hard time reading it, I don't quite think it's actually written in proper English... Pretty sure Google Translate can help with this though.

Okay I found it, let's go ahead and translate from Bullspit to English:

Quote:
Gnomes have always been a part of Super Dungeon. Though they lurk in the background of model releases their impact on Crystalia is real.

Translation: "Most of the fiction samples I've provided from the book actually have nothing to do with anything in the game, so here's a flimsy attempt at trying to justify yet another update about something that isn't actually in our product line. No really, look *waves fingers* justification... Sparkleburst..."

Hm, well that was certainly an odd thing to say. What else doesn't translator have for us?

Quote:
Clockwork Cove is, technologically speaking, the most advanced realm in the land. Gnomes and their inventions are the source of firearms and all sorts of magi-mechanical wonders. A gnomish artificer was even instrumental in the disappearance of Princess Amethyst, through his creation of her clockwork guardian.

Translation: "We clearly recognize that you're pretty fed up with updates about characters and species that won't actually be in this game, and we also recognize that we should probably at LEAST try to pick out some topics that are maybe a LITTLE relevant... But we either don't want to, or we have literally written. An entire book of fluff that has absolutely no connection to the world of Super Dungeon Explore. Well let you figure out where that falls between column A and Column B. Pro tip: It's entirely both! Sparkleburst!"


Quote:
While their importance in the setting is undeniable, conceptually they have remained something of an enigma, with our sole piece of gnome art appearing in the Forgotten King Explorer's Handbook.

Translation: "What? Wasn't my paper thin handwave enough to convince you that this is totally relevant? God, you probably don't believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, do you? Pfft. Fine, here's literally the ONLY piece of art we could find ANYWHERE of a gnome, taken from a product that we stopped producing literally years ago. See? It's totally connected... To a product we no longer make... Sparkleburst!"

So glad we could get some more info on a race that they've literally NEVER produced in plastic, and probably never will. I mean, we were already annoyed with the centaur that was only ever in one game as a single mini. Then there was the Fennek which only ever appeared in Super Dungeon Arena -the one major Super Dungoen product that stores haven't liquidated from their shelves. Hey, while you're thinking about it, why not buy a copy right now, I hear they out a Fennek in there with all of the other miniatur- wait a minute... There's only one miniature in that thing? Well.. it is a Fennek, so go buy it! Yeah!

Clearly, this race that they've chosen never to let players even interact with is SUPER relevant to Super Dungeon.

Seriously, there has to be SOMETHING in that time of fluff they've wrote. That at least fleshes out the characters and races we ARE going to play in Legends... At least that would be a little relevant.


Someone set their google translate to "translate update to salt".


April 19th, 2018, 2:37 am
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: May 15th, 2015, 9:39 am
Posts: 361
Location: Land of OZ
yeah your translation is a subjective opinion at best, take the salt over to the KS comments


April 19th, 2018, 2:55 am
Profile
Minion
User avatar

Joined: February 14th, 2017, 11:28 pm
Posts: 208
Lol, I'm confident that the ks comments will be far more reprehensible. At least I try to have a sense of humor, rather than telling people where to go.


April 19th, 2018, 3:35 am
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 407
There are forge gnomes and a gnome pet Thaddeus in SDE Legends. The important bit of info to me is the introduction of a gnome tank potentially based on the panzer minis I think they produced before. It opens the door for future war machines and constructs which are not purely good or evil which is important imo in a role playing universe. If the masterclass next month is a gnome tank I will be hard pressed to not order.


April 19th, 2018, 4:11 am
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2426
TheHandsomeDan wrote:
Lol, I'm confident that the ks comments will be far more reprehensible. At least I try to have a sense of humor, rather than telling people where to go.


My response was pretty much tongue in cheek. Though I do like lore updates myself.


April 19th, 2018, 4:23 am
Profile
Minion
User avatar

Joined: February 14th, 2017, 11:28 pm
Posts: 208
sleepy_laughter wrote:
There are forge gnomes and a gnome pet Thaddeus in SDE Legends. The important bit of info to me is the introduction of a gnome tank potentially based on the panzer minis I think they produced before. It opens the door for future war machines and constructs which are not purely good or evil which is important imo in a role playing universe. If the masterclass next month is a gnome tank I will be hard pressed to not order.


I just looked at the card for Thaddius Stout.. and it doesn't actually say a race anywhere on either side. I also googled the name in quotes with the word gnome in quotes, and I couldn't find an actual combination of those words anywhere. The legends page comes up, but those words never fall anywhere near each other that I could find, I even looked at the images in the campaign and couldn't find anything to say gnome. I mean he's small, sure. But there aren't a lot of gnomes with green skin (unless they're lepers, which is a whole different kind of evil thing), and I couldn't find a single image anywhere of a green gnome with pointy ears - the green ones all have very round ears without so much as a hint of the point on that card.

...there's also the fact that they do show artwork of gnomes in the update, and not a single one of them looks anything like Thaddius Stout.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but without being able to see a point that they say that, I'm very skeptical of this. Conversely, if you are aware of something I've missed where they do say it, I'd very much like to be aware of it so please do share.


@Usagi
I like lore updates... When they have anything to do with the product they're attached to. As it stands, these lore updates have either practically been advertising for other products that are out of production, or better yet: advertising for products that don't even exist. If they'd give us a lore update on more of the baddies in the actual game or it's add-ons, or more back story on some of the characters and NPCs we'll eventually get to bring to the table... I would love that as a lore update.


April 19th, 2018, 4:50 am
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 407
Pets do not have races as far as I know as they are not heroes or monsters.

i made the assumption based on Thaddius stout and the forge gnomes being in the same sculpt video by SPM.

Thaddius might NOT be a gnome. Mr. Bligh might NOT be a goblin. officially. in canon. But they're about the right size to be. And there's nothing to say a pet must be a beast/non-intelligent biped. Just that they're devoted to their master. Forge gnomes are creeps. Stands to reason they could be pets, too, in my mind.

As for the whole green/skin tone thing -- I don't think there's enough lore to clarify/draw lines. i mean, they just made up/added fur color and stuff for Fenneks despite the Arena champion not...having fur. really. I guess. /shrug.

So thaddius being a gnome is my assumption, not canon, but SPM is not horribly forthcoming these days so /shrug. I was thinking Okami could proxy as Thaddius if you wanted a Torchlight style dog/pet to take your loot to town to sell :).

I do agree /w HandsomeDan that the Lore updates, at the moment, only really feel to serve the function of fulfilling the 'promise' (for as long as it lasts this time) of updating every 2 weeks. There isn't enough of a SDE:L beta material to realistically use the Lore updates to do something concrete beyond dream. At least we got a new colored art this time, something I missed from the Fennek update.

It is frustrating to think of it as offering more potential promises for product that you know is queued behind SDE:L for plastic and if done as resin, may not be accessible/at a price point you can bear.


April 19th, 2018, 6:30 am
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 407
Forge Gnome youtube


April 19th, 2018, 6:31 am
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 9:02 am
Posts: 499
Location: South East England
Stout isn't a Gnome.
Can't really say cause he is in the video for size reference that he is, cause the Royal Paladin is there to, and he isn't a Gnome
Stout is Green with Large pointed ears, Gnome all shown have normal ears and peach flesh. In fact, Stout looks quite close to Mister Bligh (eyes are different of course, and there are a number of other differences but much closer)

_________________
================
If you want to see some SD related stuff I've made and shared, why not check out my thread:
http://community.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14638
================


April 19th, 2018, 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss
User avatar

Joined: July 3rd, 2014, 12:03 am
Posts: 865
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
@HandsomeDan - I thought it was funny. :)


But I saw the update as a means to introduce us to something that has not been introduced before. I did not appreciate the centaur one as much (having a particular dislike for centaurs) but we already had one. The gnomes seem to be a larger part of the world, and there has not been a gnome character released to date. So this did seem at least a bit interesting.

But I would have definitely preferred a status update.

_________________
Want to enjoy a game of Super Dungeon Exlore in half the time that Forgotten King offers? Try Lootimeter Mode!
Sodapop Lootimeter Discussion thread
BGG Lootimeter discusson thread


April 19th, 2018, 2:13 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 11th, 2015, 1:39 am
Posts: 290
I think everyone would have preferred a status update, even those of us who are still SPM cheerleaders. And Dan's right - if you are going to release an update that has no status update in it, if you just have to share lore, tell us about Von Drakk or Roxor or Starfire. Why do we need more info about a race we can't play? It's marvelous that there are lots of bunny people, but WE DON'T HAVE THEM. We do have cat people and humans and elves and dark elves.

I want to be happy about these updates, but I really just want to see them say 'this is where your stuff is. We're working on it.'


April 19th, 2018, 3:09 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: February 11th, 2014, 10:03 pm
Posts: 440
Location: Camp Pendleton, California
We have the Arena Champion. There’s a Gnome model included in the KS too.


April 19th, 2018, 4:00 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 11th, 2015, 1:39 am
Posts: 290
Well sure, but one mini isn't enough to build a story around. I could build party of freyjan or dwarves or elves, but one rabbit person isn't enough for me to build on. Or one centaur or gnome.

I think if they are going to keep giving out lore updates instead of status, they should focus on something we can use.

For instance, I am very excited about the ice realm stuff. The ice dragon, ice kobolds, and other ice stuff will all go great with the tusk raider. But I don't want more lore about that region until I actually have some minis to go with it. The tusk raider alone isn't enough to do a whole ice theme.

Now, a long bit of lore about the rise of Von Drakk, his relationships with Beatrice and Vendella, his command of armies of necromancers and skeletons - that's a story I would love to hear. Tell me why Von Wilding hates him so much. There are stories there that I can pull into a game right now.


April 19th, 2018, 6:07 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: February 11th, 2014, 10:03 pm
Posts: 440
Location: Camp Pendleton, California
Sure, but who knows what state of development those lore pieces are in? If they’re keeping Legends lore in development those items could be in the process of being fleshed our further. This is pure speculation but maybe they don’t want to release lore that might be changed or contradicted further in development.

I’m finding (And Sleepy Laughter may be able to attest to this) the further I write my own campaign, the more the characters develop in such a way that I have to rewrite earlier chapters to keep things consistent. Characters in a story have a way of taking on a life of their own.


April 19th, 2018, 7:38 pm
Profile
Ninja Corps
User avatar

Joined: March 25th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Posts: 2426
InfinityMax wrote:
Well sure, but one mini isn't enough to build a story around. I could build party of freyjan or dwarves or elves, but one rabbit person isn't enough for me to build on. Or one centaur or gnome.

I think if they are going to keep giving out lore updates instead of status, they should focus on something we can use.

For instance, I am very excited about the ice realm stuff. The ice dragon, ice kobolds, and other ice stuff will all go great with the tusk raider. But I don't want more lore about that region until I actually have some minis to go with it. The tusk raider alone isn't enough to do a whole ice theme.

Now, a long bit of lore about the rise of Von Drakk, his relationships with Beatrice and Vendella, his command of armies of necromancers and skeletons - that's a story I would love to hear. Tell me why Von Wilding hates him so much. There are stories there that I can pull into a game right now.


So far, it seems the lore has been hero-centric. Meaning that the things featured are largely PC races and on the "good" side of things. So lore about consul stuff just hasn't really been a thing in general (in updates at least). I also like the fact that they are hitting the more obscure and esoteric races. Dwarves and Elves are pretty well fleshed out in SDE even without the written canon lore. Like you said, you can make whole groups of them already. The game is lousy with them! The Legends RPG aspect of it, however, opens up the currently more obscure races into a much more accessible area. In a classic or arcade game, you're right, you can't play a party of centaurs. In Legends, though, you could, easily. Putting a spotlight on the things that have been mostly background decoration when tehy can easily be brought to the forefront isn't a bad thing, to me at least.


April 19th, 2018, 7:43 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: October 29th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Posts: 407
But what if I wanted an adventure called a Kobold's tale? It starts as a baby Kobold creep (which doesn't exist) tending baby drakes. The drakes grow up to be giant hatchlings that are mean to the kobold so he must flee.

Then he tries to live with the ice kobolds, but it's too cold b/c every turn he's trying to roll to avoid being frozen by the terrain.

He decides to try his turn at joining another warren, but then he gets roughed up by some nether shadow kobolds that take his candy (kobolds are mean!). But Ser Snapjaw roughs up the shadow kobolds and takes THEIR candy and escorts our kohero (kobold hero) to the claw shrine and advises him to give it a try.

Then our kohero tries his turn as a drake hound trainer b/c surely these won't outgrow him and be mean. But then a hero party comes and decimates his claw shrine and warren. The epilogue is the kobold regaining consciousness, but something stinks, foul, and his first vision is of Nightsong raising him and his kobold mates as Kodead.

Then, spoiler, Nightsong raises the drake hounds as cute zombie dead hounds, but all you get is a b&w sketch and no a vague promise that it will be available as a $80 masterclass resin model that is multiple part/make your own zombie dead hound, but when it delivers, there are no bases. :lol: :lol: :twisted:


April 19th, 2018, 9:44 pm
Profile
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 9:02 am
Posts: 499
Location: South East England
Hatchlings are the smallest, when they are babies so can't be born and then grow into hatchlings..

also... I'm completely missing some of the jokes in that.. Sorry ^_^: probably funny.

_________________
================
If you want to see some SD related stuff I've made and shared, why not check out my thread:
http://community.sodapopminiatures.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14638
================


April 19th, 2018, 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen
User avatar

Joined: December 11th, 2015, 1:39 am
Posts: 290
sleepy_laughter wrote:
Then, spoiler, Nightsong raises the drake hounds as cute zombie dead hounds, but all you get is a b&w sketch and no a vague promise that it will be available as a $80 masterclass resin model that is multiple part/make your own zombie dead hound, but when it delivers, there are no bases. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Very nice.


April 19th, 2018, 10:17 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 3492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 175  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.