View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2017, 4:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 2614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 131  Next
 Legends Update Thread 
Minion

I would like if they used Inquisitor, since it would be a devout warrior in both range and melee with spell-casting. Makes more sense than archer, and they could leave Monk right where it is. Wish they would change Dark Knight's name as well to something else but that is just my personal opinion.

May 12th, 2017, 2:15 pm
Consul

So at this point I'm asking myself why there's even this character build system.

Oooh but it's really cool, you pick a main attribute and a power source.
Those choices determine both your crystal affinity AND your Class.
Finally you need to choose a job from the ones available to your class.

Yeah okay, but it seems to me like you have absolutely no choice.
If I want to play an Ember Mage I can just start by picking the job, because only one specific line of "choices" can lead to that job.
I apparently can't make a STR Ember Mage or a Light Ember Mage. Ember Mage is set in stone.

Why not just make a skill tree for each individual hero then. It sounds like that's basically what's happening anyway in a way. Just cut all the ****
You are obviously not supposed to design your own unique hero. Fair enough... But then remove classes and jobs completely.
Stick to the SDE guns and just dish out a ready-made hero. Here is an Ember Mage. Or would you rather play a Royal Warden. Or a Nyan-Nyan?
Like in Diablo... You pick the Amazon. You can't customize her looks or starting stats or anything. You just get a character and a skill tree.

Also, why must I build a Hearthsworn in Legends that "functions in the same capacity" as one in Explore?
Why not literally make his skill tree so that if I so desire I can build exactly the Hearthsworn?

May 12th, 2017, 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I feel like we will get more answers later on when we get to see the entire picture. Beside, we can use whatever mini we want to represent our character in the game, and we can paint them however we want (there are very few minis I have coloured like they are "supposed" to). I feel like the goal was to reduce the crunch a lot to get straight to the action. The RP might suffer a bit, true. I do feel like I want to see the final result before saying yay or nay though, and frankly this sounds like a neat system for a more light experience.

I would prefer if jobs worked like they do in some games where they are extensions of the class so that one class over the course of the game is given the option to pick one of the a bit more advanced jobs available to the class to be able to make it as part of the character development for RP purposes.

<3

When all realities in which you can lose are eleminated, first then can you be proclaimed the winner.

May 13th, 2017, 12:07 am
Minion

Goblin-King wrote:
So at this point I'm asking myself why there's even this character build system.

Oooh but it's really cool, you pick a main attribute and a power source.
Those choices determine both your crystal affinity AND your Class.
Finally you need to choose a job from the ones available to your class.

Yeah okay, but it seems to me like you have absolutely no choice.
If I want to play an Ember Mage I can just start by picking the job, because only one specific line of "choices" can lead to that job.
I apparently can't make a STR Ember Mage or a Light Ember Mage. Ember Mage is set in stone.

Why not just make a skill tree for each individual hero then. It sounds like that's basically what's happening anyway in a way. Just cut all the ****
You are obviously not supposed to design your own unique hero. Fair enough... But then remove classes and jobs completely.
Stick to the SDE guns and just dish out a ready-made hero. Here is an Ember Mage. Or would you rather play a Royal Warden. Or a Nyan-Nyan?
Like in Diablo... You pick the Amazon. You can't customize her looks or starting stats or anything. You just get a character and a skill tree.

Also, why must I build a Hearthsworn in Legends that "functions in the same capacity" as one in Explore?
Why not literally make his skill tree so that if I so desire I can build exactly the Hearthsworn?

This would be a great ideal, if it didn't take all the time to design and test maybe they would. Although I would like a spec choice instead of a skill tree, think more like WoW and less like Diablo (Diablo is still my favorite of the two). The reason I say this is because when it comes down to power gaming you pretty much are going to make the same choices no matter what, yeah its fun to be different but its not fun to suck at the same time. The planning of a skill tree is really fun and making choices feels like you are truly building your own character, but like I said above mostly it'll end up the same. X > Y will always be better no matter if its baked in or if you pick it. Now I do think it would have been fun if they did it like dragon age, three classes with a skill tree/spec hybrid. You can customize and it really only effects your play style.

I feel the same way you do if we are going to be pigeon-hold into playing a certain class, why not just use the base card which? This is why I always thought the affinity skill list would had been a great ideal. Someone did post earlier in the forum that base card forms are two powerful, fair enough but this rule-set should have some way to make creatures and encounters more difficult. Which is why I thought if they based the system on FFCC it would had fit perfect into Legends.

Character creation is very fun, I do enjoy the easy of it but we'll probably need a true rule-set to see how things really turn out.

Firesplitter wrote:
I feel like we will get more answers later on when we get to see the entire picture. Beside, we can use whatever mini we want to represent our character in the game, and we can paint them however we want (there are very few minis I have coloured like they are "supposed" to). I feel like the goal was to reduce the crunch a lot to get straight to the action. The RP might suffer a bit, true. I do feel like I want to see the final result before saying yay or nay though, and frankly this sounds like a neat system for a more light experience.

I would prefer if jobs worked like they do in some games where they are extensions of the class so that one class over the course of the game is given the option to pick one of the a bit more advanced jobs available to the class to be able to make it as part of the character development for RP purposes.

The cool thing about using any miniature we want is we can pull them from other games as well. We have a few games we can pull from for heroes, NPCs, and monsters (Hopefully they have a monster creation too).

Ones I know of in this style (could be more):

SDE, Arcadia Quest, Impact Miniatures, Ninja All Stars, Rail Raiders (Not released yet), Promo Miniatures from SPM and Yokai Quest (Not release yet).

For the bold part, class/job advancement I don't really care for much it is thematic and popular in JRPG/Asain RPGs but seems completely useless to me and very much something that is padded on. Like Warrior advances into a Knight, why not just after a certain level give him the abilities you would have given the knight anyways? Although different strokes for different folks.

Sorry for typing so much.

May 13th, 2017, 1:36 am
Mini-Boss

So... the yellow and purple dice suffer changes on their mechanics
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... ts/1434193
Instead of double result, "light" symbol = feint
"Dark" symbol looks like a smooth version of critical symbol of Arcadia Quest Dice, without a infinite chain of extra dice per symbol rolled.

Q: A Player have option to improve defense with Amethyst dice and attack with Citrine dice to just gain the amount of stars bonuses and ignore the symbol's special effect?

Q: SPM offers a way to costumers buy extra Citrine and Amethyst dice like a Black Handed Henry's Potion Party expansion?

Q: How players (heroes and/or consul) will interact with NPC?

Q: Named NPC comes with some mini-tile (or standard size) like "shop" beyond the standard card, or it will be simple miniatures to swap with generic NPC cardboard tokens?

ok... someone wake me up when they begins to delivering something to backers...

Q (to myself): Why I still cares about it? :?

“Our patience will achieve more than your force.” - Edmund Burke

May 13th, 2017, 1:46 am
Minion

Samgillians wrote:
The reason I say this is because when it comes down to power gaming you pretty much are going to make the same choices no matter what, yeah its fun to be different but its not fun to suck at the same time.

Whatever the exact system they come up with, what you says underlines the goal they have to achieve : No branch should be OP, and none should be useless/meaningless as well.

There will always be better options, but as long as "better" do not mean "high above the others" and as long as whatever you choose, even the weaker path, you still have usefulness and fun while in-play, everybody will end happy!!

They really have to avoid "dead branches" nobody ever take or disgusting super-human paths leading to one-hero-does-all-the-job-just-sit-there-and-watch.

Concerning the matter of choosing a Class before a Job, what Goblin King says is true, but I stick to the idea that the Class selection acting as a "pre-job guide" is meaningful.

Remember that Legends will now be kind of a stand-alone game, and new players won't necessary know all the lore about the game, they will probably don't know exactly what they want to play and they will not know all the options. It's easier to first select a Class and then pick a Job in a shorter list linked to it than facing a huge list Jobs. If ND wish the character creation to be a quick procedure, choosing first in a short list of Class clearly linked to a stat and an orientation (light etc) is a good call IMO.

Obviously, an experienced player will know what he wants and will reverse the procedure, picking first his character's Job. Easy and quick for him too.

I'll add that ND should really consider putting each jobs in multiple Class related lists, to add variety and fun!!

Last but not least (to me), I am, once again, very concerned by this update. It feels to me that they haven't yet decided what they keep for the Lore (they will still need some rewriting in the process for sure - and what are they building their class/jobs options upon in that case)??? They just begin arts?????????????????? WTH have they done during past year!!!!???? I'm more and more pissed off!

May 13th, 2017, 7:34 am
Consul

INU wrote:
Samgillians wrote:
The reason I say this is because when it comes down to power gaming you pretty much are going to make the same choices no matter what, yeah its fun to be different but its not fun to suck at the same time.

Whatever the exact system they come up with, what you says underlines the goal they have to achieve : No branch should be OP, and none should be useless/meaningless as well.

There will always be better options, but as long as "better" do not mean "high above the others" and as long as whatever you choose, even the weaker path, you still have usefulness and fun while in-play, everybody will end happy!!

They really have to avoid "dead branches" nobody ever take or disgusting super-human paths leading to one-hero-does-all-the-job-just-sit-there-and-watch.

I too believe it's possible to make branching/skill tree without one being THE best.
These things can also come down to playstyles. Do you like to play as a glass cannon or a tank and so on?
It's a bit like saying the sniper is the best weapon in FPSs, but I freaking hate sniping. I'm more of a run'n'gun guy.

Firesplitter wrote:
Beside, we can use whatever mini we want to represent our character in the game, and we can paint them however we want (there are very few minis I have coloured like they are "supposed" to). I feel like the goal was to reduce the crunch a lot to get straight to the action.

This is not so much a comment to Firesplitter as it's to ND... Why this emphasis on being able to use any model?
Of course I can use whatever model I want. I can use a Legoman or a pebble, or a... CARDBOARD TOKEN! :twisted:
But that doesn't really tie in with rules at all. I guess what I'm asking is, what are they even trying to say with this?

May 13th, 2017, 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

In another words, if you have one box of Legends and a bunch of Super Dungeon Dice, like Black Handed Henry's Potion Party as cheaper option to have it, just pick your cardboard tokens, wooden meeples, Legomen, Arcadia Quest miniatures, Impact Miniatures, Yõkai Quest, Krosmaster, whatever... then print or make your own tiles an go on to play it.

After take this conclusion, I don't know if I wanna cry or laugh for many time and money spent collecting everything of this game when isn't really necessary to play Legends... cute miniatures are evil!

May 13th, 2017, 10:43 am
Denizen

Nephastus wrote:
In another words, if you have one box of Legends and a bunch of Super Dungeon Dice, like Black Handed Henry's Potion Party as cheaper option to have it, just pick your cardboard tokens, wooden meeples, Legomen, Arcadia Quest miniatures, Impact Miniatures, Yõkai Quest, Krosmaster, whatever... then print or make your own tiles an go on to play it.

After take this conclusion, I don't know if I wanna cry or laugh for many time and money spent collecting everything of this game when isn't really necessary to play Legends... cute miniatures are evil!

stop skipping out on your meds mate

May 13th, 2017, 11:56 am
Ninja Corps

Nephastus wrote:

are you trying to claim a game is bad because it can be pirated? Or are you trying to claim a game s bad because it can use non-proprietary...well...anything? If these are your standards, I genuinely want to know what game out there...ever...cant have it's components printed out or substituted with something else to play? Maybe like, Mousetrap? Hungry Hungry Hippos? But, with 3D printers, now, even those could be pirated and printed out.

Frankly, I look forward to using my Disgaia chibis as SDE characters. Why not? Those will be awesome. :P

May 13th, 2017, 12:44 pm
Mini-Boss

I have to admit, I'm also amazed at how often we hear about things not done yet. And I'm sad to notice that updates have gone from Justin-constructive to Deke-roundabout again. Where is our legends beta, end of April?

May 13th, 2017, 2:51 pm
Minion

^ that was never going to happen. Deadlines on this project ...

May 13th, 2017, 5:45 pm
Mini-Boss

It's fun to see the fans coming out, but I do not care what they say.

May 13th, 2017, 10:49 pm
Bottle Cap

Nephastus wrote:

Actually, once you get rules for a game... virtually ANY game... you are good to go and play. What can prevent you for proxying components and printing cards and cardboards? In case of Legends you don't even need special dice, because standard k6 will do just fine if you map possible rolls to SDE stars hearts/potions :).

But hey, where is fun in that? When playing, I want to see cute chibi minis and other components that are solid and beautifull. Playing with meeples and printed cards? Meh, it doesn't mean you should want to do that even if you can ;).

On the other hand what's wrong with proxying with minis from other systems if they are made in a similsr style? Legends promises both ability to recreate current heroes and to introduce new classes (jobs, actually). You can reuse existing minis. You can wait for SDE minis for new heroes introduced in Legends. You can borrow minis from Arcadia or Yokai Quest if you see fit. It's up to you, but it doesn't invalidate your collection in any way.

May 14th, 2017, 6:46 am
Minion

I personally would like sodapop to look at fantasy flight games Star Wars rpg and warhammer quest for character creation and progression. The Star Wars rpg has 6 roles per core book broken down into 3 jobs (6 with supplements) you get a lot of variety and it has simple facial models. Humans just start with extra xp to balance them out from not getting a skill. Skills are mapped to a tree and there are twenty skills per job, very simple system but works well.

Warhammer quest has a really simple xp system, all bad guys are worth gold and you just tally up the gold to see if you have enough to level up, you can spend the gold on other things as well so it's not always worth holding onto. I can imagine crystals working the same.

All in all I would prefer going more pen and paper rpg than a pseudo attempt which I fear may feel half hearted.

May 14th, 2017, 7:19 am
Bottle Cap

Can we please get something on a delivery date/progress graphic for 2.0 and Midnight Tower/Stretch Goals? The last one was in the April 14th Update. Since then it's been all about Legends Q&As which comes across a little bit a distraction tactic.

May 14th, 2017, 1:02 pm
Minion

Plus not gonna lie, other companies can be so pushy about "YOU ONLY USE THE OFFICAL BRANDED MODELS FOR OUR OFFICAL GAME OR YOU WILL BE SUED BY OUR LEGAL TEAM."

I once had a massive argument with a GW staff member in one of their stores because I was using some old models he assumed were 3rd party, embarrassing for him I know but it put a bad taste in my mouth and I never went back to that shop. Plus honestly with how Legends levelling up works, SP encouraging you to use stuff from other games or converting duplicate/old models shows a good side of SP as a company in general imo.

Check out my blog: https://thelandofaporia.wordpress.com/

May 14th, 2017, 4:39 pm
Consul

Rainthezangoose wrote:
Plus not gonna lie, other companies can be so pushy about "YOU ONLY USE THE OFFICAL BRANDED MODELS FOR OUR OFFICAL GAME OR YOU WILL BE SUED BY OUR LEGAL TEAM."

I once had a massive argument with a GW staff member in one of their stores because I was using some old models he assumed were 3rd party, embarrassing for him I know but it put a bad taste in my mouth and I never went back to that shop. Plus honestly with how Legends levelling up works, SP encouraging you to use stuff from other games or converting duplicate/old models shows a good side of SP as a company in general imo.

They are not encouraging using third party models though. They said that if I want to use a kodama as my hero or convert one of my models, nothing would prevent me from doing so.
...Which I thought was an irrelevant statement. I'm the one suggesting using random objects as heroes.

Just so we are clear ;)

On the other hand they have not explicitly stated that we can NOT use third party miniatures.

May 14th, 2017, 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Employee

Nephastus wrote:
It's fun to see the fans coming out, but I do not care what they say.

I edited this post to remove the image.

The entire point of an ignore list is to avoid interacting with people you don't want to interact with. This post was counter to that purpose and antagonistic.

Consider this a warning.

Email: justin.gibbs@ninjadivision.com

May 14th, 2017, 11:30 pm
Denizen

and so now public discussion of ;plonking; becoms an offense. Why not ust admit it dissent will not be tolerated?

May 15th, 2017, 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 2614 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 131  Next