View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 SPM resin board 
Minion

I had someone offer to sell me a soda pop mini resin 3-d board that was made by SPM for SDE back when it first came out. Does anyone have a pic or even know if this is an actual product?

September 6th, 2017, 7:32 pm
Denizen

I've never heard of SPM resin board. I doubt it is something SPM made, it's probably a kickstarter not run by SPM.
How much did he want for his board ?

Without pictures i won't advise you to buy anything by the way !

September 8th, 2017, 1:23 pm
Bottle Cap

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/92980796/super-3d-dungeon-boards

This is the only kickstarter I'm aware of that created 3d Super Dungeon Explore boards.

They are available now at retail here (though I'm not sure if it's still actually available or an old website. It does say in stock though for what it's worth.) :
http://www.figurepainters.com/store/#!/Super-3D-Dungeon-Boards-&-Accessories/c/7159632/offset=0&sort=normal

for $65 per tile (unpainted)

If it is these tiles then they do look pretty nice in the pictures but do bear in mind Resin can be a pretty fragile material so I wouldn't want to move them around too often without some pretty decent padding.

Given how basic they are you could get away with XPS foam to get a very similar look... maybe with some cake pillars for detail if you didn't feel like going all out with the foam. which would be a much more attractive price. I guess it all depends on how much this person was suggesting that they would sell it to you for, if it even is these specific boards. It could always just be some that he made himself using Dwarven Forge rubber molds or something.

September 8th, 2017, 8:28 pm
Denizen

You can also use hirst arts molds to create similar tiles in plaster.

September 11th, 2017, 10:12 am
Minion

I havn't looked at them yet, not sure I want to drop the money, I tried hirst molds....made a hell of a mess :)

September 12th, 2017, 4:20 am
Denizen

seafox wrote:
I tried hirst molds....made a hell of a mess :)

If you still have them i can help you use them if you want ?

September 12th, 2017, 10:58 am
Minion

I was borrowing the molds, gave them back when he moved away.

September 12th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Denizen

Ok ^^
The other possibility is to make foam core terrain : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4638&start=40#p93201

September 12th, 2017, 4:07 pm
Minion

I made a mess with foam/foamcore when making my 40k table and terrain :) My wife prefers I don't make a mess, spend a bit and don't make a mess.

September 13th, 2017, 5:42 pm
Minion

Turns out it was the limited ed Krosmaster: Arena – Resin Board.

September 14th, 2017, 12:39 am
Denizen

for what they cost a $120 3d printer is capable of producing good results on items like these

http://www.printablescenery.com/product ... ern-tiles/ and they do some good mine tiles as well. Only down side is they are slow but with a bit of patience you can build up quite a range of terrain.

September 14th, 2017, 12:55 am
Bottle Cap

Quote:
I made a mess with foam/foamcore when making my 40k table and terrain

You know, I should have mentioned that in my thread huh :lol: I kept finding bits of blue foam at the other end of the house for weeks... and god forbid you sand the stuff... you'll have it in your hair for the rest of your life! Luckily I was able to build my boards whilst my wife was abroad visiting her parents so I was able to clear up before she got home! At one point our entire kitchen floor was blue :oops:

Growlley... what are the running costs like for a machine like the $120 one you suggest? Do you have one? I had no idea you could pick one up so cheaply now... but I haven't a clue how much the filament sets you back when working on a project like the one pictured in your link.

Shame about the Krosmaster board, they're pretty but no use for a SDE adventure unless it was a super tiny one!

September 14th, 2017, 8:51 am
Minion

Board was decent, but being only one tile it'd barly be good enough for arena.

September 14th, 2017, 2:40 pm
Denizen

Krosmaster board is small for arena. Arena mat is something like 4 standard tiles i think.

September 14th, 2017, 2:47 pm
Minion

fibretip wrote:
You know, I should have mentioned that in my thread huh :lol: I kept finding bits of blue foam at the other end of the house for weeks... and god forbid you sand the stuff... you'll have it in your hair for the rest of your life! Luckily I was able to build my boards whilst my wife was abroad visiting her parents so I was able to clear up before she got home! At one point our entire kitchen floor was blue :oops:

Growlley... what are the running costs like for a machine like the $120 one you suggest? Do you have one? I had no idea you could pick one up so cheaply now... but I haven't a clue how much the filament sets you back when working on a project like the one pictured in your link.

Shame about the Krosmaster board, they're pretty but no use for a SDE adventure unless it was a super tiny one!

Filament can range anywhere $10-$20 by the pound or kilo. Back when I was printing 5 lb's of ABS would last about 6 months of pretty heavy printing and would run about $70 when you factored in shipping.

The advantage to it is it's really good for rapid prototyping. It takes you longer to make the 3d models. The next day you can be working with your second printed prototype, of something that was just an idea a few days ago. And it's in a solid plastic, generally ABS or PLA. The ABS has a melting threshold of 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 220 celsius, and it will outlive you in a garbage dump for the next couple hundred years.

September 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm
Denizen

apart from money mainly some time and patience to tweak the machine to perform it's best. most popular machines have had lots of user based designed printable upgrades for them.

The slightly more expensive machines like the wanhos are basically in 2 parts when shipped and just require 4 screws to assemble.

money wise it depends on the material you chose to print I can get 1kg reels of abs (hard plastic) for about £8 from ebay but as abs has several draw backs it has a difficult learning curve so I normally use pla which is a bit more expensive at around £11 but a lot easier to print .

you can find a more detailed explanation about materials here https://www.matterhackers.com/3d-printe ... nt-compare

Also you should print in a well ventilated area and some machines can be noisy .

It's a little trial and error and a little bit of practice and some art but the main problem is learning to level the print bed and print a good first layer , its hard at first but its like learning to ride a bike , with a bit of practice you soon get the hang of it. But these days there are a lot of videos and tutorials to help the beginner get started.

Edit even the cheapiest machines are starting to be fitted with leveling sensors , I have used them but I found I could do it manually in the time the sensor took ( a couple of minutes)

The major down side is these machines are slow and for a press the button and go solution your talking lots of money however if your willing to put in some time and patience and experiment
you can end up making a lot of terrain and models far cheaper than you can buy .

When ever I change the plastic I run through the following check list

relevel the bed
print temperature calibration test ( basically a one cm wide but taller rectangle with a different temp fpr each section) to find what temp works best for that material
(minor)re levelling the bed to compensate for removing the model
load up and start printing
keep an eye on first layer
go to bed

You Don't need to learn 3d modelling and there are a lot of free models already in STL format the most common format 3d printers use , for example search 'openforge' on thingiverse.com and there are lots of laces \ks to always buy more if you want.

September 14th, 2017, 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]