View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 28th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 SDE Boss Tiers: Ranking Bosses/Minibosses in Classic Mode 
Ninja Corps

Even with defense gear on a hero a bane (which is exceedingly easily applied by Beatrix) can still make it a dicey situation at best. 3 blues and a red, minus the highest result is by far no proof against 2 reds. But, this only applies to melee types, really.

November 25th, 2015, 1:09 am
Bottle Cap

Am I the only one to think that Gruesome George's rules should actually place him much higher?

I get that his base stats are trash and his attacks aren't much to be worried about but if you use him right he's almost invincible. I only played him once (in classic) and had to bend the rules for him to die.

He has 6 hearts, though, immune to effects and an action that heals a wound so if he uses it every turn he's actually recovering two hearts on every activation. Unless you have some crazy potions or extra AP loots, a standard hero can only do a maximum of 3 wounds per activation so if the consul uses tough and electric jolt every turn the heroes are at best putting one wound on him per turn. Given that the heroes will eventually fail their dice roll and that all of them aren't damage dealers anyway, the heroes can probably hope for an average of 2 wounds inflicted per activation at best, ... which George will just heal right away and still make a basic attack.

The first wounds are easy but imagine you get him down to 1 heart left, he will recover to 3 hearts. Then the heroes play and have to inflict 3 wounds to kill him, or at least 2 wounds to keep him at 3 hearts after regen (inflicting only 1 wounds would make him regen back to 4 hearts). These 3 wounds that you have to deal are going against armour 5B, 6B and 7B respectively; that's 3.33, 4 and 4.66 stars of defense, that's close to boss-level armour and you have to make all 3 to win. What are your chances to make it?

Of course with this strategy the consul only gets one basic attack and Gruesome George will never be able to kill anything with that but at least he's stalling the group. When the heroes are hitting an unkillable zombie, other monsters are coming to get them. If the heroes kill the monsters then not only George can just use his 3 AP to deal damage but they're also working on the next spawn point before this mini-boss is even dead.

I don't know if I'm playing him wrong but it looks like the consul could easily deny you the treasure card and force you to deal with George AND the next spawn/mini-boss at the same time.

December 3rd, 2015, 6:30 pm
Dungeon Boss

Darmg wrote:
Am I the only one to think that Gruesome George's rules should actually place him much higher?

I get that his base stats are trash and his attacks aren't much to be worried about but if you use him right he's almost invincible. I only played him once (in classic) and had to bend the rules for him to die.

He has 6 hearts, though, immune to effects and an action that heals a wound so if he uses it every turn he's actually recovering two hearts on every activation. Unless you have some crazy potions or extra AP loots, a standard hero can only do a maximum of 3 wounds per activation so if the consul uses tough and electric jolt every turn the heroes are at best putting one wound on him per turn. Given that the heroes will eventually fail their dice roll and that all of them aren't damage dealers anyway, the heroes can probably hope for an average of 2 wounds inflicted per activation at best, ... which George will just heal right away and still make a basic attack.

The first wounds are easy but imagine you get him down to 1 heart left, he will recover to 3 hearts. Then the heroes play and have to inflict 3 wounds to kill him, or at least 2 wounds to keep him at 3 hearts after regen (inflicting only 1 wounds would make him regen back to 4 hearts). These 3 wounds that you have to deal are going against armour 5B, 6B and 7B respectively; that's 3.33, 4 and 4.66 stars of defense, that's close to boss-level armour and you have to make all 3 to win. What are your chances to make it?

Of course with this strategy the consul only gets one basic attack and Gruesome George will never be able to kill anything with that but at least he's stalling the group. When the heroes are hitting an unkillable zombie, other monsters are coming to get them. If the heroes kill the monsters then not only George can just use his 3 AP to deal damage but they're also working on the next spawn point before this mini-boss is even dead.

I don't know if I'm playing him wrong but it looks like the consul could easily deny you the treasure card and force you to deal with George AND the next spawn/mini-boss at the same time.

You make a ton of good points, but honestly he's still not that great. You want George to be wounded so he is actually a threat; otherwise he's just a fluffy marshmallow patting the heroes on the back, rather than giving them a proper beating. He gets threatening at 3 wounds, and scary at 5 (so scary that he can pass some bosses in max stars roll-able). But the problem is, once you get him to that point, you also run the risk of him being killed. And if he isn't killed, he's likely close, which means you'll need him to be healed up, reducing the amount he can beat on the heroes, giving them time to heal up as well. Sure, he can be a nuisance, and can be effectively unkillable, that's not really a fun or effective way of using him.

I do think what makes George really crazy is the fact that you can call him out at any time with the Shamble Priest, getting a free Super activation for but a measly wound. If anything, that interaction could bump him up a peg, but with the fact that that has already been taken into consideration in this thread, it's not really going to do anything...

Over the winter break I plan to write my own Consul's Tactics Guide, giving a rundown of various dirty tricks the consul can use, as well as my opinions and rankings on the various monsters.

Click Here for My Comprehensive List of Every Hero, Monster, and Boss available for Super Dungeon Explore.

December 4th, 2015, 1:42 am
Denizen

Daemonforge wrote:
Over the winter break I plan to write my own Consul's Tactics Guide, giving a rundown of various dirty tricks the consul can use, as well as my opinions and rankings on the various monsters.

That would be very much appreciated! =)
Too bad there isn't a tactics section in this forum ..

I am a starting consul, still haven't received all the necessary stuff but I think the game mechanisms are very interesting. Especially synergies. For instance I am looking to optimize Beatrix the Witch Queen & her ghosts. So I am trying to find out how many conditions I can get on the heroes, what spawn points, monsters and terrain also add those/support her (grabby house prowlers that can heal her, monsters that can push/pull heroes into brambles or lava). And things like on what tile she has the most optimal maneuvering space.
[having played mesmers and warlocks in mmorpgs, crowd control and conditions/status effects are really my thing]

.... and of course I hope iamfanboi wil get Jack, Beatrix, Wyrm Claw, Dragon Blade and Twilight Knight for Xmas so he can write a review! =)

Last edited by Teowulff on December 6th, 2015, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 4th, 2015, 7:34 am
Denizen

Really, it's the Shamble Priest/Gruesome George interaction that is the only thing which makes him remotely usable... and it isn't his ability that does so, but the Shamble Priest's. There are just better monsters out there than Gruesome George to use a Super activation and actually THREATEN the Heroes.

The times I've used him he had to be backed up with, like, ALL of the Mob. Yes, he came out turn one and made sure that Super activation never stayed dormant, but if a Miniboss can get beaten down by a bunch of no-equip Heroes...

And last game was backing him up with all the Mob I could muster: a 4-Hero game with Kobold Warrens and Grabby House on Von Drakk exterior tiles. He died once and his Treasure just went to giving the Fae Alchemist another potion. By the time the Bosses came out (I was also testing the Triple Trouble rules with 3 MiniBosses instead of one big Boss), the only thing he was doing was backing the Riftling Rogue into a corner - which she promptly teleported out of.

Gruesome George is straight Rank C: He requires so much support from outside his card to function (Mob, Shamble Priest, etc) and even then he's barely average. Rex, as a counterexample, is a threatening presence even without Mob as he causes several Status Effect and Massive Damage for highly geared Heroes. Mob and Kobold typing are just icing on the cake.

Synergy should make all of the models involved in the combination great, not barely elevate one of them to par with a lot of hard work.

I'm not sure if I'll get Jack (frankly, I don't see him as much use other than in the PvP rules where a Wave healer could be handy), but Beatrix is coming for Salaura, and - do I really not have those other Heroes in the list? Damnation and perdition. I don't own them either (hell, I'm missing like 8 Heroes), but it's easier to judge a Hero on sight without playtesting than a spawn point or miniboss, where what matters is not necessarily what's on the card but what's on the table for it to work with.

The Boss is even harder, because you have to judge everything: Explore Cards, Treasure, Creeps, Boss Fight effects, and so forth, and it's near impossible to do without actually playing them.

SDE Spawner Tiers: Ranking Spawn Points in Classic Mode

December 4th, 2015, 8:41 am
Consul

Daemonforge wrote:
I do think what makes George really crazy is the fact that you can call him out at any time with the Shamble Priest, getting a free Super activation for but a measly wound. If anything, that interaction could bump him up a peg, but with the fact that that has already been taken into consideration in this thread, it's not really going to do anything...

Do you guys actually allow this?
Imo this is at best RAW but not RAI. You are not really supposed to summon him like any old undead.

Last edited by Goblin-King on December 5th, 2015, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 4th, 2015, 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Actually, looking at it, unless it's been errated, the rule book says "If no mini-boss is available in the spawning pool,
immediately advance the Mighty Monster chart one step instead." meaning that mini-bosses are part of the spawning pool, and the shamble priest can spawn one zombie from the spawning pool meaning that he'd be affected. However, the first mention of the word spawning pool is under the spawn points cards saying that that is what the spawning pool consists of so it's a little iffy without an FAQ or something. I think it's supposed to be from the spawn point's spawning pool though for his effect, or even just regular monsters.

December 4th, 2015, 8:56 pm
Denizen

Goblin-King wrote:
Daemonforge wrote:

Do you guys actually allow this?
Imo this is at best RAW but not RAI. You are not really supposed to summon him like ant old undead.

Until it's forbidden by FAQ it's allowed. Shamble Priest allows one Zombie in the spawning pool to be placed next to him with Wakey-Wakey, Gruesome George is a Zombie, you place all your chosen miniatures in the Spawning Pool at the start of the game, therefore he can be targeted with Wakey-Wakey.

Arguing intent in a game is a slippery slope; I remember one fool saying that "Space Marines should win every game of 40k because they're always written as the Heroes!" and actually meaning it.

It might be more urgent if GG were actually, y'know, good, but he's not. In point of fact, this ability is the only reason to use him, like, ever.

He's got interesting and unique mechanics, but there's no denying he's one of the weakest minibosses overall. His damage output is too variable and reliant upon being damaged and being supported with Mob, whereas other Minibosses can just charge in and dish out the pain.

But it does mean bad things if the forthcoming Hoarfrost is a Zombie Dragon, and will get errata'd for sure - taking away GG's one unique and interesting trait.

SDE Spawner Tiers: Ranking Spawn Points in Classic Mode

December 4th, 2015, 8:59 pm
Mini-Boss

To be fair, Gruesome George can be really good against some setups with some things set up for him... I had one game where he delivered the heroes'... you know what... to them...

...It took 3 hours... He camped the door and I had ranged stuff attacking from afar camping outside LoS during the ranged hero's turn... Yeah... Camping... At least it was a certain win game for me as consul... -w- But !SODA! it took longer than needed and far more setup than it was worth and really, the only reason it worked was because I had already killed off the healer + 1 ranged DPS having 2 melee and 1 ranged DPS taking turns at Gruesome George. Was a ridiculous game in so many (bad) ways...

<3

When all realities in which you can lose are eleminated, first then can you be proclaimed the winner.

December 5th, 2015, 10:04 pm
Bottle Cap

With a limited amount of monsters since I just picked up the game recently, I've found using Boris to smack a sprout to death highly useful. Once AudreyII is out, just keep pulling heroes into a nice line and have Boris swing for the fences.

January 9th, 2016, 4:59 pm
Bottle Cap

About the forget king, I personally thing he is pretty terrible. I've played him in classic mode, and had him battle it out with a few other bosses. Nocturne, for example, easily crushed him. If none of your heros are dead, and yours heros aren't absolutely terrible, the forget king always is going to lose.

May 13th, 2017, 10:26 am
Minion

Iambob04 wrote:
About the forget king, I personally thing he is pretty terrible. I've played him in classic mode, and had him battle it out with a few other bosses. Nocturne, for example, easily crushed him. If none of your heros are dead, and yours heros aren't absolutely terrible, the forget king always is going to lose.

FK definately is lower tier, but kep in mind, he is DESIGNED to fight heroes. Hubris works off of equipment gain, ie, Von Drakk/ Nocturne doesn't require opposing stats to be good.

May 15th, 2017, 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3