View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 "Lootimeter Mode" Now in ARCADE MODE (pg 31) 
Minion

Quote:
I finished changing the document, and as an aside, if the basic rules continue to be this disappointing I'm going to start again on the project to have one Lootimeter rulebook, combining the text from Lootimeter and the FK rules instead of a separate excerpt. It's a bit more... uh... legally gray to do so, but I think it's reasonable under fair use and as long as we're not trying to SELL Lootimeter.

I'm back from the Kingdom Death if you want help with a fancy indesign document. Just let me know.

May 27th, 2016, 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I've been playing around with the 1.3 beta for a bit. Still, I keep coming back. I'm finding the pacing much more enjoyable. There are some really good ideas in the betas though. I like the idea of free 8 bit activations if a spawning point or miniboss is on the tile. That really makes the heroes want to move forward. It makes it hard to get to that spawning point, but it then gives them a bit of a break when it is destroyed. I also liked the branching Wrath bonuses. I think that would be easy enough to sprinkle though the Loot deck. Wouldn't it be cool if the Consul had "Wrath cards" that had all the abilities on them? They could put them at certain points in the Loot Deck to activate those Wrath abilities. The Miniboss coming out right in the middle mirrors the current Wrath system. Maybe after 10 cards you place the first Consul card for +1B offensive actions.

June 14th, 2016, 5:34 am
Mini-Boss

eternaldream wrote:
I've been playing around with the 1.3 beta for a bit. Still, I keep coming back. I'm finding the pacing much more enjoyable. There are some really good ideas in the betas though. I like the idea of free 8 bit activations if a spawning point or miniboss is on the tile. That really makes the heroes want to move forward. It makes it hard to get to that spawning point, but it then gives them a bit of a break when it is destroyed. I also liked the branching Wrath bonuses. I think that would be easy enough to sprinkle though the Loot deck. Wouldn't it be cool if the Consul had "Wrath cards" that had all the abilities on them? They could put them at certain points in the Loot Deck to activate those Wrath abilities. The Miniboss coming out right in the middle mirrors the current Wrath system. Maybe after 10 cards you place the first Consul card for +1B offensive actions.

I appreciate your support on this!

To be honest, all the hubbub about the new system and all the problems it as been having has been really killing my SDE buzz lately. Not to mention that hearing the new stuff they are coming out with Legends sounds totally uninteresting to me is really the nail in the coffin.

I still need to try out the new 1.3 system, as this seems to be the one that people are actually happy about. Once I have done that, then I will play another game of Lootimeter mode as a baseline and then try some of your suggestions. Right now, I am just too removed from the game to be able to make any kind of evaluations.

But again, thanks for the support! You may have been the kick in the butt I needed to get back into the action again.

June 14th, 2016, 10:03 pm
Denizen

Goblin-King wrote:
I just sporadically pop into this thread, but with all the playtesting going on with the beta I wondered...
Have you guys actually tried to break your own game rules?

As in... abusing unintended boring bastard strategies, farming the last spawnpoint etc etc...

So I know this quote is a bit old, but I've been busy with other things for a while (got a computer that can actually PLAY GAMES and I've been trying to drink the ocean of PC games I've missed over the past 12 years).

And yes, I always try to break the game. I trust my inner munchkin to find the most impressive strategy and I try to nerf the heck out of it. The most abusive thing I've done is trying to shape the number of Wounds dealt so that the Miniboss/Boss trigger is reached during the Consul phase; that gives the Heroes a free turn to try and mop up some minions before bigger things hit the table. However, it's really hard to pull off thanks to the random dice AND it can bite you in the behind when it comes to the Miniboss because the Boss is that much closer to spawning while the Miniboss is still on the table.

I think that what keeps Lootimeter balanced is that you can't really farm without spawning the Boss at an advantage. The Heroes have that fire under their arse to keep moving forward.

I kinda need to give the 1.3 beta rules a try myself, I suppose. But frankly, it's hard to motivate myself when I already have something that works and works great. At this point I'm almost more interested in seeing how Legends can be stacked on top of Lootimeter instead of using their version of the rules. I don't like the direction it's going.

SDE Spawner Tiers: Ranking Spawn Points in Classic Mode

August 1st, 2016, 12:55 pm
Denizen

iamfanboy wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:
I just sporadically pop into this thread, but with all the playtesting going on with the beta I wondered...
Have you guys actually tried to break your own game rules?

As in... abusing unintended boring bastard strategies, farming the last spawnpoint etc etc...

So I know this quote is a bit old, but I've been busy with other things for a while (got a computer that can actually PLAY GAMES and I've been trying to drink the ocean of PC games I've missed over the past 12 years).

And yes, I always try to break the game. I trust my inner munchkin to find the most impressive strategy and I try to nerf the heck out of it. The most abusive thing I've done is trying to shape the number of Wounds dealt so that the Miniboss/Boss trigger is reached during the Consul phase; that gives the Heroes a free turn to try and mop up some minions before bigger things hit the table. However, it's really hard to pull off thanks to the random dice AND it can bite you in the behind when it comes to the Miniboss because the Boss is that much closer to spawning while the Miniboss is still on the table.

I think that what keeps Lootimeter balanced is that you can't really farm without spawning the Boss at an advantage. The Heroes have that fire under their arse to keep moving forward.

I kinda need to give the 1.3 beta rules a try myself, I suppose. But frankly, it's hard to motivate myself when I already have something that works and works great. At this point I'm almost more interested in seeing how Legends can be stacked on top of Lootimeter instead of using their version of the rules. I don't like the direction it's going.

Speaking from the other side of the same table, Fanboy has a penchant for placing spawn points flush with an interior wall or corner and spawning monsters two squares away on the other side of said wall to keep Heroes from getting line-of-sight to target the spawn point at range.

This is the only munchkin thing that I can think of at this hour of the morning.

August 1st, 2016, 1:11 pm
Mini-Boss

I hope it is not too presumptuous of me to say that of all the houserules, that Lootimeter Mode is the most successful. I base this on the number of pages on this thread, the fact that it is the most complete and the most playested of any ruleset and it has received more unique individuals coming onto the thread and praising the system for being just plain awesome.

But now we are coming to a new era. The era of SDE Legends. So what does that mean for Lootimeter Mode? Are we going to have to adopt whatever ruleset Sodapop puts out at us if we want to adopt the Legends system? Or are we going to wait to see what they have before we try to make it work for Lootimter Mode? The whole point of Lootimter was to work within the confines of the existing rules, but seeing as there are no rules yet I, for one, would like to propose that we start coming up with some ideas of how to make this happen. Who knows? Maybe we can actually influence the powers that be to adopting what is already a very polishes and proven system, particularly if it means that they can fulfill their objectives of making it into a campaign system.

Who's with me?

August 3rd, 2016, 2:49 am
Denizen

There's a difference between pride and foolishness - and it's okay to be proud of Lootimeter. It's solid, man. I've played a lot of games over the years and it's among one of the best as a straight board game.

As of right now, I'm adopting a 'wait and see' approach. If Legends is designed well, it should prove no challenge to simply stack on top of Lootimeter. If it isn't designed well, then we can make it so. I'd still like to work with what they have, though.

But man... Beta 1.3 is not what I like. It stacks more stuff to remember on top of more stuff to remember and takes away the one thing I liked about 1.2 - both sides power up at the end of the Hero turn.

So I was planning on revisiting the Rank system and see what shook lose when I realized that Lootimeter really shakes that up. The Rank C Heroes are still squarely in there, but some Heroes like Princess Ruby are invaluable for their backup ability - you tap her to go second in a Hero turn and she can simply erase a bunch of damage, freeing up Emergency Potions for, well, emergencies.

August 3rd, 2016, 4:15 pm
Mini-Boss

iamfanboy wrote:
There's a difference between pride and foolishness - and it's okay to be proud of Lootimeter. It's solid, man. I've played a lot of games over the years and it's among one of the best as a straight board game.

As of right now, I'm adopting a 'wait and see' approach. If Legends is designed well, it should prove no challenge to simply stack on top of Lootimeter. If it isn't designed well, then we can make it so. I'd still like to work with what they have, though.

But man... Beta 1.3 is not what I like. It stacks more stuff to remember on top of more stuff to remember and takes away the one thing I liked about 1.2 - both sides power up at the end of the Hero turn.

Yeah... I think I was just feeling a bit despondent last night when I suggested that. I also put something on the other thread about what we can expect for the campaign play in Legends and the stuff that was mentioned made me think "oh crap.... that is a lot to work out!"

So, yeah. I think the best thing is to hope for the best and hopefully Legends will be fully compatible with Lootimeter, or at least easy to tweak.

August 3rd, 2016, 7:29 pm
Minion

iamfanboy wrote:

So I was planning on revisiting the Rank system and see what shook lose when I realized that Lootimeter really shakes that up. The Rank C Heroes are still squarely in there, but some Heroes like Princess Ruby are invaluable for their backup ability - you tap her to go second in a Hero turn and she can simply erase a bunch of damage, freeing up Emergency Potions for, well, emergencies.

Is there anything you DID like about 1.3 that you'd consider pulling into Lootimeter mode? I kinda like the idea of some kind of unique boss mechanics (like the original mighty monster mode per boss idea someone threw up)

August 4th, 2016, 4:44 am
Denizen

It's an interesting notion, but until I see actual rules on it (something like Von Drakk's 1.0 rules of rotating a tile 90 degrees) I can't say more than just, "Sounds all right."

...What I think of Beta 1.3... it's a good version. Probably the best official version of SDE that I"ve seen thus far. I've played it and it's all right.

But it's like drinking Diet RC Cola after a tasting real Pepsi. Just doesn't cut it any more; even if the flavor is 'mostly right' it's not 'fully right'.

August 7th, 2016, 1:27 am
Mini-Boss

Impossibeard wrote:
Is there anything you DID like about 1.3 that you'd consider pulling into Lootimeter mode? I kinda like the idea of some kind of unique boss mechanics (like the original mighty monster mode per boss idea someone threw up)

I have to admit, that I have not even been able to bring myself to play 1.3. My game group railed at me when we played a game of 1.1, I played a second game (solo) just to prove to myself it really was as bad as I thought, and then 1.2 was not much better, I only did the one play of that. I have read 1.3, but cannot remember much of it. It seems.... okay at best, but there are things (i.e. Critical Hits) that I am still strongly opposed to. Overall I just cannot bring myself to play it.

It's like Iamfanboy said, the game in Lootimeter mode is so good, and just works so well, that I can't bring myself to play it in the ways that are being presented. And I a strongly suspecting that as long as Lootimeter is compatible with the cards and materials, that I will continue to play that way.

August 7th, 2016, 3:26 am
Mini-Boss

Well, I know that some people will consider this counter-productive to the development of the Beta rules, but honestly, the rules that they keep churning out are so disappointing, that I am going to continue playing Lootimeter for the foreseeable future.

The battle report I played using the Beta 1.4 rules can be found here but spoiler alert, I found it completely underwhelming. The heroes breezed through the dungeon, were never in any real danger and the timer felt like a wooden leg attached to a stump, something foreign and uncomfortable. (For the record, in this analogy Lootimeter would be some kick a$$ bionics! :D) After being so disappointed, I wanted to remind myself about what I love about the game, so played the same game, same setup, but using the Lootimeter rules.

Here is my report:

RULES USED:
-Standard Loot-o-Meter Mode from the manual (see link in my signature)
-Ceetee's Princess Coins (one coin per hero, Consul wins if heroes need to use a Princess coin and cannot)
-explore cards used
-creeps spawned if Consul rolled a successful attack with a potion rolled
-all Spawn points had 3 health, despite what was printed on the cards
-Look Out Sir (wound shunting)
-Spawning and monster movement could only happen on tiles that have heroes present or adjacent
-no monster crystal affinity
-the only board effects which I use are things which impede movement or block line of sight.
-NO Popping Potions

I also was implementing a new rule that somebody had suggested whereby I put one explore card (all from Starfire's deck) for every five cards in the Lootimeter deck.

Dungeon Boss - King Starfire
Mini-Boss - Ser Snapjaw
Spawn points - 2 x Claw Shrine, 1 x Dragon Clutch
Creeps - Slimes
Heroes - Dragon Blade, One Shot, Hexcast Sorceress

Time - 1 hour, 36 minutes, 25 seconds. I used a stopwatch :P

The game started with the Dragon Blade running into the thick of things and attacking the first Claw Shrine. his first two attacks missed so he used his last attack to a Claw Trainer to ensure that he would not provide more boost to the drakes that were nearby. One Shot then moved forward and took out the spawn point, using all of her attacks. The Consul responded by attacking One Shot, as she had the lowest armour and managed to score two wounds.

One Shot led the next party turn and she began clearing out the kobolds and drakes that remained on the first tile. With her first kill, she revealed the first Explore card and a Dragon Altar became apparent, blocking the entrance to the next tile, also a few slimes appeared at the side exits on the tile. They would have to disarm it, or give up a loot to get past. With her last action, One Shot attempted and failed to disarm the altar. The Hexcast Sorceress went next, killing two more kobolds, and then ran forward, throwing a loot onto the altar, granting passage to the next tile.

The Consul started moving forward with the baby dragons to slow down the heroes. One of the Whelps managed knock down the Hexcast Sorceress, and the slimes began to attach themselves to anyone nearby. At this point I remembered to take pictures.

The second tile is where the heroes faltered. They were getting knocked down a lot, and then encountered and Explore card which was Dwarven Brew. It healed all their wounds, but poisoned them too. Unfortunately they were not badly wounded, so the poison only exacerbated the problem of the actions they were losing from being knocked down and covered with slimes.

Before long, the first Lootimeter had run out and Ser Snapjaw appeared on the third tile, as that was the only entrance which was far enough away from the heroes. But not before another Dragon Altar had been revealed at the exit to the third tile. Sheesh! As the heroes fought to get a handle on things, the dragons continued laying on the pressure. Snapjaw managed to position himself in such a way that he performed his Rallying Cry and pulled the Hexcast Sorceress and Dragon Blade into the lava, setting them both on fire. The Dragon Blade used the movement boost to run forward and take out the Dragon Clutch spawn point.

With some more sustained attacks, the Hexcast Sorceress perished and the first Princess Coin was used.

Things quickly went from bad to worse as the heroes could not catch a break. Poor rolls, useless loot meant that they were taking more wounds than they were giving. It was not soon before King Starfire appeared. With one spawn point still on the board, the heroes were under a vicious assault by the dragon.

The Hexcast Sorceress, on her last wound, broke off from the battle and tried to kill the last spawn point, the team's only hope was to slow down King Starfire. Using her potion she flew over the heads of the enemy, but unfortunately could not get a line of sight on the spawn point without sprinting, which meant that she only had two attacks left for the spawn point which landed two hits and a few hearts to help give her a chance that went from non-existent to not bloody likely. The drakes warmed her up and then King Starfire killed the Dragon Blade and then flew over to finish off the Hexcast Sorceress with his second activation. The heroes were no out of Princess coins and still had not wounded King Starfire.

One Shot finally managed to kill Ser Snapjaw and she ran forward to lend support to the attempt to kill the spawn point. Unofrtunately this was the extent of the hero's turn as the other two heroes were dead. With eight activations at his disposal, King Starfire concentrated his attacks on the Hexcast Sorceress who succumbed. The heroes had lost.

THOUGHTS
Wow. It has been a while since I have played, and the last couple of times I did were Beta versiond and so utterly disappointing that I forgot how much fun this game could be. I know that there were some tactical errors made on the part of the heroes, especially in the team construction, but overall the game was amazing!

New Explore Card Rules - I loved this - for a couple of reasons. (1) It provided so much theme to the dungeon. Every so often things would become apparent that would add more theme and flavour to the dungeon and (2) the creeps were much more present. Maybe too present! The creeps certainly made a big impact on the game, so I might tweak the deck to have a few less explore cards.

I think that I am probably going to commit my efforts towards making some headway into the concept of the Legends idea and incorporating it into the Lootimeter Mode. By this I mean that I want to figure ways to create campaign based missions, that incorporate hero progression and increased monster difficulty, while still maintaining a feel of the video games on which they are based.

September 11th, 2016, 4:48 pm
Denizen

Spazzfist wrote:
Dragon Blade into the lava, setting them both on fire.

Dragon Blade is Immune: Fire. That, along with Dragon Spite is why he's so effective against Dragons/Drakes/Kobolds

But wow, that was a close game. The only thing I've been doing recently has been testing 1.4, and it is quite dull considering how easily the Heroes win. Revised explore rules sound interesting though, since traps and creeps saw little use or had little effect on the game from them.

September 11th, 2016, 5:41 pm
Mini-Boss

Clawandbyte wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:
Dragon Blade into the lava, setting them both on fire.

Dragon Blade is Immune: Fire. That, along with Dragon Spite is why he's so effective against Dragons/Drakes/Kobolds

Ah, missed that one! Thanks for pointing it out. The real issue with him is that I was never able to get any loot that woud boost his Strength, so he was stuck rolling 3B the whole game. Pretty pathetic, really. And, without the rulebook in front of me, I am thinking that Ser Snapjaw's "Rallying Cry" is an augment, which would mean that it only works on friendly models. It would be useful for him to bring friends close to take advantage of the Mob ability. But, even with those two things, I think the heroes still would have lost.

Clawandbyte wrote:
But wow, that was a close game. The only thing I've been doing recently has been testing 1.4, and it is quite dull considering how easily the Heroes win. Revised explore rules sound interesting though, since traps and creeps saw little use or had little effect on the game from them.

It was a pretty decisive Consul victory, I would say, but it was still a ton of fun. In a whole other league compared to any of the beta versions that have been pooped out.

September 11th, 2016, 5:56 pm
Denizen

I also played a game quite recently with two new players and one who had played the game several times a while ago and found it easy to get back in. It was quite a palate-cleanser after a half-hearted, half-finished game of Beta 1.4.

I picked pretty much everything aside from two Heroes (gave them the Royal Paladin to start with and explained that he's Easy Mode). They picked the Mistborn Shaman and the Celestrial Herald. I picked the Forgotten King (like I said, setting myself up to lose!), Shadow Mode Candy, Kobold Warrens, and Egg Clutch. No hardcore synergy, just a few easy things and some not so easy things.

It was... a LOT of fun. I managed to actually kill the Shaman, though the Herald's Immune:Knockdown helped her a lot against the Drakes. Her Potion actually helped the Paladin live through a barrage of deadly FK blows. I got amazingly lucky with a LOT of FK armor rolls as well, rolling mutliple 6's even though the odds were against it.

Note that I did NOT use my homebrew rule of Hubris adding +1B to all rolls (ARM, STR, WIL), just +STR.

They quickly offed the Forgotten King despite my best maneuvering (still took them 5 turns!) but like I said, it was just so enjoyable.

September 12th, 2016, 7:37 am
Denizen

I read through both reports Spazzfist, and I hafta say that the contrast between 1.4 and Lootimeter is just astonishing. From a cakewalk to a loss for the heroes, and lootimeter shaved off about half an hour?

As for adjusting Legends ideas to Lootimeter, maybe a good place to start is some of the core features to other RPG sytems. A way for PC's to advance in levels, and for monsters to scale with them being the main hurdle.

September 12th, 2016, 8:15 am
Minion

Are you open to a few editing suggestions in the current rules? Things like a quick summary chart and a bit of reorganisation would make it easier for new people to experiment with your variant.

Contributing to the Compendium:

September 13th, 2016, 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Topher wrote:
Are you open to a few editing suggestions in the current rules? Things like a quick summary chart and a bit of reorganisation would make it easier for new people to experiment with your variant.

We are always open to suggestions!

September 13th, 2016, 10:20 am
Bottle Cap

Im not a fan of the hero picking another hero to join them. This will lead in one player taking multiple turns because they have all the loot. Lets say a 4 player game, 3 heroes and the consul, Player 2 has a lot of loot and can do a lot of damage but player 3 is lagging behind, the loot has not given them anything to really clear waves or do as much so they 1 turn every 3 turns where player 2 gets 2 minimum and even sometimes getting 3.

September 14th, 2016, 5:44 am
Mini-Boss

toxic4mosh wrote:
Im not a fan of the hero picking another hero to join them. This will lead in one player taking multiple turns because they have all the loot. Lets say a 4 player game, 3 heroes and the consul, Player 2 has a lot of loot and can do a lot of damage but player 3 is lagging behind, the loot has not given them anything to really clear waves or do as much so they 1 turn every 3 turns where player 2 gets 2 minimum and even sometimes getting 3.

When I play, I always stagger the hero activations so that they are roughly equal. It might look like this:

Hero A,B,C

Turn 1 - AB
Turn 2 - BC
Turn 3 - CB
Turn 4 - AC and so on,

September 14th, 2016, 11:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next