View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 HeroQuest - Shadow of the Arcane Crystal 
Minion

HeroQuest is sort of the legacy game of my family. I bought the game when I was 10 years old (for $20 dollars no less) and knew I had found something great. I quickly ran all my friends through it, and over the summer break, my 3 cousins. This would of course trigger a lifetime addiction to tabletop for all of us. When my younger sister was old enough, I ran her through all the quests, she still games weekly to this day. When I became a father, I ran my son through all 14 quests, years later we would revamp the D&D board game series to be a HeroQuest variant and run all 14 again. And now, with my daughter "coming of age" we are running her through the quests as well. But now, I have all these lovely super cute chibi miniatures, and I have to use them...

So, I went ahead and re-skinned HeroQuest to support Super Dungeon Explore and Arcadia Quest minis. I want to share the experience with all of you, but a few disclaimers for any purists out there...
♥ I'm using some house rules, I'll list them below
♥ I'm modding the HQ monsters a bit with both base stats and special abilities
♥ I mashing together SDE and AQ lore in a horrid fan fiction of my own design
♥ I have access to and will be using KS exclusives for Arcadia Quest

do to image size restrictions I'll host most materials in this drive folder: LINK

House Rules
Leveling Up
HeroQuest has no level up system, you get and keep better loot as you go. This works and by the end you are pretty !SODA! tough, but leveling up is fun and also allows you to add tougher mobs and boss monsters. Basically every time a hero survives 3 quests they unlock a new ability. I stuck with the 4 main heroes, despite the many cool SDE options, because it would have been a lot of work. If anyone else has suggestions for any I’d love to see them.

Monsters
Started with the 8 basic HeroQuest mobs and tried to pair them off with SDE/AQ equivalents. Every mob has a special ability to make them more interesting. In some cases I went with some 4e D&D stuff as shifty kobolds are a lot less lethal than mob kobolds.

BooBooties:
Because BooBooties are the best, they replace all(most) trapped chests in the game. A BooBooty chest can be detected by searching for traps. BooBooties cannot be disarmed, but only attack if: attacked or if a hero moves adjacent to them. Treat as a wandering monsters when triggered.

Crystalian Mobs set 1

Arcadian Mobs set 1 (plus BooBooty)

Last edited by CrashGem on March 23rd, 2015, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2015, 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Shadow of the Arcane Crystal

The fire burns warmly, but casts little light into Princess Sapphire’s antechamber. A tray of cookies, snacks, and soda has been laid out with care by the castle’s servants. It has been many months since you each received a royal summons from the mysterious and arguably cold princess. Months spent training and honing your skills at her behest. Perhaps today she will reveal her plans to you. She walks the length of the room and stares out the open window at the cold snow laden lands beyond. At last she speaks, “Well my champions, your training is complete. But you are not yet true heroes, you have yet to prove yourselves. First, let me tell you of the Consul…”

“Long has the evil entity known as the Consul sought to plunge all of Crystalia into darkness. He desires nothing less than the total destruction of light and good in the world. Monsters, Spirits, Undead, and even the marauding savages from across the great sea have all pledged their services to his dark cause.”

“The lands of Crystalia are vast and varied, and the Consul’s forces can be found making menace in all of them. My sisters and I do what we can to stave off the relentless tide of evil, but in recent years the forces of evil have multiplied rapidly and Crystalia is in dire need of heroes. It is my hope that your four are worthy of such a title.”

Quest 1: The Trial

Turning to face you, she catches the four of you stuffing all the cookies and refreshments into your hungry mouths. Everyone in the room stops. The only sound is crumbs dribbling from your mouths to hit the tabletop. An exasperated sweatdrop appears over her forehead. Collecting herself, she continues, “A band of kobolds led by the kobold ogre Rager Rex have taken up residence in an ancient burial ground, Felmarg’s Tomb. Be warned they have likely disturbed the residents of the tomb with their antics, so you will find yourself facing foes both living and undead. See that Rager Rex is defeated and report back to me anything unusual. Accomplish this task, and you will be ready for the title and responsibilities of Heroes.

Changes to the quest book:
♥ Use the Crystalia Mobs 1 monsters
♥ When populating goblins roll a d6: 1-3 gouger, 4-6 flinger
♥ Replace Verag the gargoyle with Rager Rex the Kobold Ogre (Fimir) and increase his body points to 3.
♥ Replace fimir on map with an orc (Knucklehead)
♥ Room containing treasure chest B. remove chaos warriors. Make the chest a boo booty instead

=========================
From left to right: Barbarian, Elf, Dwarf, Wizard

This went really well and was a lot of fun. Quest 1 is traditionally a bit of a meat grinder, with all mobs represented and no decent equipment. Adding in the monsters new special abilities really pushed the limits here, but still made things much more interesting. The heroes wound up taking the "undead" route and encountered Felmarg and friends. The dread knight's aura was very tough and the heroes really only prevailed with the aid of magic (those elf spells are nuts). In the final "boss battle" the wizard 1-shotted the boss with Genie, but we then flattened by the remaining mobs. The party opted to leave after looting rex's treasure and thus missed out on the BooBooty. In the end they had enough coin to buy a crossbow, which they gave to the elf. Sadly the wizard will now be 1 quest behind her allies for gaining new abilities.

Next time... Quest 2: The Rescue of Princess Ruby.

March 23rd, 2015, 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

It's nice to see someone who still knows about Hero Quest. I swear...no one has head of it these days, and games like SDE just wouldn't be without it. Or, at least, they would be very different.

I haven't been able to look through all the stuff you posted yet. At a glance it looks very through though. I'm impressed.

March 23rd, 2015, 9:37 pm
Mini-Boss

I've only played Heroquest once. It was all right. I don't really have much of a gaming group to play with though. If I had one I'm sure it would be better. Awesome work you've done so far though!

March 24th, 2015, 1:42 pm
Minion

Quest 2: The Rescue of Princess Ruby

Upon your safe arrival back in Crystalia Castle the royal guard quickly usher you to a private audience with Princess Sapphire. She eyes you cooly as you enter the antechamber, her demeanor serious and a bit tense. Eyeing you all appraisingly she finally speaks, “You have returned. Good. Your timing could be no better. There is a matter of great importance that must be handled with swift, decisive action, but also… discretion. My youngest and most hot headed sister was captured whilst adventuring. It seems the Arcadian Reavers are responsible for this, and their leader Sting has demanded a ransom be paid for her return. Crystalia will never give in to the demands of terrorists! It is for this reason that I need the four of you to sneak into the heavily guarded dungeons of his fortress and rescue her. Know that no reward or favor will be gained if she is killed in your attempt.

Changes:
♥ Use the Arcadian Reavers monster set.
♥ A: this chest is a boo booty
♥ replace Sir Ragnar with Princess Ruby
♥ When the door to Princess Ruby's cell is opened, in addition to the standard alarm effect, add a door to the edge of the game board. each Consul turn roll a d6. 1-3 a goblin appears, 4-5 an orc, and 6 another beastman spearman. They only appear this turn, they do not activate. skip this if the heroes are having a hard time.

Because this is light hearted, Ruby does not die when reduced to 0 wounds, but all will remember how poorly the rescue mission went.

===============

This one was a lot of fun. The (new) wizard is just as lucky with treasure drops as the last one. The elf continues to be the bad luck kid, constantly finding traps and in this one, the boo booty solo. All the heroes and Princess Ruby survived.

Pics:

Princess Ruby and the Arcadian Horde hide behind the screen waiting for action:

Dropping in on some orcs and gobs during supper:

Crowded hallways:

Wizard facing down two Goblin Archers:

Rescuing Princess Ruby from the jailers (led by a Ganondorf wannabe):

April 7th, 2015, 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

Nice! I love HeroQuest! I consider it my "main game". Closely followed by Space Crusade and SDE.

Basically it looks like you added a level system to HQ alongside more fleshed out monsters? And of course switched models.
It could have been interesting to see a HQ-like system that carried more of the SDE rules.
Like using the exploration parts and board from HQ, but abilities, cards and combat from SDE.

April 8th, 2015, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Ideally, that's what I wanted to do, but unfortunately my kids are not fans of SDE v1 mechanics. I have FK arriving today, and my plan is to slowly add more and more SDE elements into the gameplay, like spawn points for example. It's also an idea to make "spell cards" that are signature moves/abilities of SDE characters/classes and make them unlockable through "leveling" and adding in some extra treasure deck cards, like boobooties and items based on loot cards from FK or potions based on hero pot abilities.

For now I do have bone piles and boo booties which adds a bit of SDE charm to things, we also keep the narration pretty upbeat and silly to honor the theme of SDE. Princess Ruby for example was a bit of a hot head when they were rescuing her and that got lots of laughs and giggles from everyone.

April 9th, 2015, 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Consul

Quote:
but unfortunately my kids are not fans of SDE v1 mechanics

Heh! It's hard going against those clean simple combat rules and GOAT combat dice! 8-)

April 9th, 2015, 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

This week the heroes took on the orc warlord Sting in his fortress. Was a pretty tense session, but the players were smart and tactical and won the day using every spell they had to fullest effect.

Quest 3: Lair of the Orc Warlord

“The King is so outraged over what happened, he has demanded Sting’s destruction! 180 gold coins for your party when the task has been carried out. Keep any loot you find in his stronghold. Make these green-skinned beasts regret the day they set foot on the shores of Crystalia!”

Changes:
♥ Use the Arcadian Reavers monster set.
♥ Designate a cool orc for Sting, give him 3 or 4 body points. 2 is just lame.
♥ if your heroes can handle the challenge have Sting sound the alarm when the fight starts, opening all remaining doors and spawning all remaining monsters.

Magic was used to great effect this game. The party wizard had taken wall of stone, and once battle with Sting had been engaged, and the alarms sounded, she used the spell to blockade the boss room. This stalled the reinforcements long enough to dispatch the boss and his crew. At this point the elf and wizard buffed the Barbarian who took up tanking position in the now destroyed doorway. Eventually the monsters were defeated and routed, and the players claimed victory.

Having completed their third quest they each chose a level up ability. Next week... Kobold bandits have stolen a shipment of dwarven goods!!!

pics:

Dungeon Layout:

First room, spearman warming his buns:

Finding the boss earlier than they liked, the Elf used her time warp spell to go back one turn:

the door was then clearly marked as dangerous:

And reinforcements puzzle over the wall of stone blocking their boss's war room:

April 20th, 2015, 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

This is inspired work; there are quite a few fan-modded versions of Heroquest out there and most have great ideas, including yours.

I LOVE HeroQuest, in a nostalgic way; there are very few games that do the 'dungeon master with a map' like HeroQuest did and I really miss it!

I would like to see the dice changed to SDE dice to evoke the feel of SDE but in a setting they can actually explore... (using Heroquest as a concept, rather than mechanics). Just a thought I had that in no way detracts from what you have done. Excellent.

April 23rd, 2015, 10:40 am
Minion

Quest 4: Dwarfholm’s Gold(en) Lager

With an air of undisguised frustration Princess Sapphire motions for the royal snacksters to clear away the remnants of your afternoon tea. “I hate to call upon your heroic skills for a quest such as this, but I must. Three barrels of dwarven goods were en route to Crystalia Castle from Dwarfholm Bastion when they were intercepted and stolen by kobold bandits led by the Wyrmpriest Gutsack. My father, The King, is offering a reward of 240 gold to the heroes who manage to retrieve the stolen merchandise. Beyond the obvious reward of gold this could broker us a lot of favor with His Majesty and broker good relations with our Dwarven allies. You leave at once.”

Changes:
★ Use the Crystalia Mobs (kobolds) monsters
★ A: Instead of a Chaos Warrior, Gutsack is a Kobold Wyrmpriest (same stats as an iron shield). He has the chaos spells: Ball of Flame and Sleep. Add a kobold Warren to this fight: All kobolds within 3 squares gain 1 extra defense. def: 1 body: 2
Rep the barrels of lager with chests if you don’t have barrel minis.
Add a 4th treasure chest that is a boo booty

notes:
This is the quest that made me rethink boss monsters. HeroQuest is pretty one sided, and poor gutsack got dogpiled before he even got to act. Was pretty bogus. Might be cool to make spawn points provide damage shield to bosses until destroyed.

Busted out the old board. dungeon tiles can be a pain sometimes.

"The wandering monster on this quest is a KOBOLD OGRE?!?! Guess we are done poking around for treasure..."

Gutsack and friends, shortly before getting schooled.

Last edited by CrashGem on June 20th, 2015, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2015, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

Quest 5: Maze of Atarus

“Success building upon success,” Princess Sapphire, in a rare mood, beams at you over a table laden with sweets, “Legends tell of an ancient amulet that can be used to view the future. With this artifact we can stay a step ahead of the Consul’s machinations. I have marked on your map the entrance to this labyrinth, but be warned… the Maze of Atarus is a deadly dungeon… Find your way to the heart of this dungeon, and bring the amulet back. We’ll have Dr. Spyder take a look at it. You know, that alchemist sage my father hired recently.”

Changes:
Use whichever flavor of undead you prefer, mix and match.
A: replace the orcs with 4 skull bats
skull bats: goblin stats. add: flight, undead
B: Crypt Spider: use minotaur stats from Arcadian Reavers
C: boo booty for trap

Notes. This dungeon killed the barbarian. It was pretty awesome. Ghosts were a lot of fun. The crypt spider must have made an impression, because they nuked it down as soon as they saw it.

Atarus Denizens gathered for some fun:

I went off script and filled this entire room with bonepiles, it made for a very fun encounter.

10 speed plus flight made the skullbats a very interesting and slightly annoying foe

June 19th, 2015, 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Here more chibi Hero Quest: http://imgur.com/a/lWWr3#5

Lessons of Professor Internet.
* So, you're MAD about something on internet...
* The art of wait.

August 12th, 2015, 4:02 pm
Minion

Quote:
Here more chibi Hero Quest: http://imgur.com/a/lWWr3#5

Excellent

August 12th, 2015, 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]