View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2018, 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rob Oren's SDE sale tip 
Bottle Cap

Hey everyone,

I caught a video by painter/gamer/Dice Tower personality Rob Oren in which he pointed out that most SDE items are on clearance at Miniature Market, and I thought I might not be the only one who would like to know. I know ads aren't generally welcome on this site, but I hope that telling people about a sale pertaining to the flagship SPM product might be okay. I do wish he had pointed out that nothing past the original core set requires assembly or that FK would actually be a better starting point for those who are getting into the game now, as you guys helpfully advised me last year.

I picked up two minibosses, two bosses, a tile set, and a warband for less than $100. So stoked! :D

Naturally, people on the Kickstarter are reading this as a sign of the apocalypse, but Miniature Market did get the recent NAS conversion cards, so they're still in business with ND. Also, they had 20+ of most of these items, so they acquired a lot since I last checked, whatever that's worth.

The video for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Godr-1SHpho&t=116s

August 23rd, 2018, 4:26 am
Denizen

thanks for the share :). I started picking up duplicates with the big MM sales this season. I think things folks forget is that you can STILL just play SDE 1.0 as is and same as FK and there are fans of both rulesets, still. For folks like me, I greatly prefer the PnP 2.0 rules from the KS and if you're in the same boat, well that's when things get complicated and dour ;).

Something he could have said is that it greatly pushes down the entry point for Arena b/c Arena + 2 warbands at retail was $120, but with the sales, I think you could nab it for $48 or $72 depending on which sale you got in on. Unfortunately at that price point you're bumping up against a lot of other, competitive mini and board game products so it's still a competitive environment either way :).

I'm not sure there's anyone MM *doesn't* do business with - I'm a big fan of theirs as I got my original Von Drakk Manor from them when it released :).

MM putting SDE on clearance I don't necessarily see as a bad thing. SDE 1.0, FK, and many of the products I expect are out of print (given SPM's issues with plastic production) and I would not expect MM or many retailers to plan to keep them in stock on a regular basis. Also there's something to be sad that MM came into a very large quantity of stock that spurred them to do the clearance sale (since they were OOS of a lot of the items previously). Price is a barrier to entry (especially outside of the US) to SDE and this is also a way to get new fans and/or push more stock into existing fans that are still in the game b/c at least for hobbying purposes, extra minis have quite a bit of value.

That being said, i don't have any expertise in the business, but I'd lie if I don't get excited for a clearance/sale for items I like.

August 23rd, 2018, 3:37 pm
Denizen

I asked Miniature Market to add NAS-to-SDE crossover cards, but I have never seen those in stock. From previous sale (prices were even lower than now), I finally ordered tileset and Arena. With shipping, price was about the same than MSRP in USD. I was thinking to add two warbands which I do not own, but passed them for now. I unfortunately added pre-order items to both orders so have to wait a few months until those ship.

August 24th, 2018, 6:53 am
Mini-Boss

If anyone wanted to start SDE now, I'd tell them to get arena and a few warbands or even ninja clans. Can't get any cheaper. Arena has hero, dice, loot, tiles, warbands have spawners. Rules are pnp

August 24th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Denizen

I agree. Arena is also nice in that you need to know a LOT less rules. No MMC, traps, plots, challenges, boss rules, etc. I had folks over to play it for the first time and was surprised about how quickly folks took to it.

The one caution for Arena is that it's not balanced, which those that play SDE already know, but can be jarring to someone that is used to equal footing. But if you start with a Ninja warband (hopefully the next two come out soon...) I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

August 24th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Ninja Corps

Xris Wraith wrote:
If anyone wanted to start SDE now, I'd tell them to get arena and a few warbands or even ninja clans. Can't get any cheaper. Arena has hero, dice, loot, tiles, warbands have spawners. Rules are pnp

As a note, Arena does not come with tiles. It has a two sided arena board. This board does not translate into regular SDE (explore or arcade mode). The rest is true. Though I haven't tried using arena loot and treasure in a regular game either. I think it is missing things like boo booty and other consul oriented surprises for those modes of game play.

August 24th, 2018, 6:57 pm
Denizen

@Usagi - arena treasure deck does not have boo booties, but I don't think those are mandatory. Likewise it doens't come with keys (like FK), traps, princess coins, or treasure chests. But it *is* its own game mode so it comes with everything to play Arena, but not the other game modes (b/c arena is the same way - it has some mode specific tokens...just much fewer compared to the other modes)

August 24th, 2018, 7:16 pm
Ninja Corps

I know arena is it's own thing. The implication of that post seemed to be that you could buy arena, then use the print and play rules immediately. It seems to be that you would have to print out and proxy almost everything that isn't spawners or heroes anyways (including tiles). If you want to use the print and play rules and have nothing going in, arena doesn't really do much for you in that respect outside of dice. and you can get dice from the potion party game as well.

August 24th, 2018, 8:18 pm
Denizen

i think it gets you more than just dice, but yes, there are gaps, but I think those can all technically be filled by anything you want to PnP with what's been made available.

August 25th, 2018, 12:29 am
Mini-Boss

If you mentally block any one inner doorway, thus rendering it unconnected, an outer door, it leaves you with four tiles in a square order. Nothing stops you from playing SDE on these.

September 2nd, 2018, 7:22 am
Bottle Cap

I had seen Miniature Makert's big SDE sale before this video but I had been waiting on the decision to buy stuff.
But once Rob put out this video and MM started to share his video on Twitter and Facebook I jumped on the sale quick so things didn't sell out before I had the chance.

I'm excited to say I now own 80ish percent of all the currently released SDE stuff excluding the Master Class models, the Relic Knights Crossover characters, and most of the new Ninja All Stats stuff.

I can't wait to paint them all over time.

September 7th, 2018, 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]