View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2018, 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Player Tactics - Hero Party [SDE] 
Bottle Cap

What are your preferred tactics when you play? And what hero's do you take with you?

When playing hero's we always rush spawn points as early as possible, ideally taking down two within two turns maybe the third. However this usually means that we win or lose the whole adventure within those few turns. If we don't do this we find that hero's are overrun by 2 spawn points, if they're left up for more than 2-3 turns.

We usually play with the Barb, the Elf Ranger and the Fire Mage.

March 13th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Minion

My normal players tend to shoot for treasure early and try to rack up enough kills in a turn to get a decient amount of loot. The idea is to give them as superior an advantage as they can before the console advances. In a ideal situation your front line defense should be able to mitigate enough damage to make most of the progress track the heroes doing (granting them more loot chances and making it eaiser to take out the bosses).

Sometimes it fails and I roll over them pretty well, other times they just dominate (I had a split party kill the dragon in one round by a secondary group being near the only place it could respawn after if hit half health).

March 13th, 2012, 5:53 pm
Minion

I always nail the first spawn point as quickly as possible.

I field the Barbarian, Paladin and Mage.

Mage 'lights' up any baddies, Paladin casts Iron and gets stuck in and creates a gap for Barb.
Barb fights her way to the Spawn point and takes it down. it doesn't matter if she is set on fire, because she auto heals 1 wound every activation.

March 13th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

LickOfPaint wrote:
I always nail the first spawn point as quickly as possible.

I field the Barbarian, Paladin and Mage.

Mage 'lights' up any baddies, Paladin casts Iron and gets stuck in and creates a gap for Barb.
Barb fights her way to the Spawn point and takes it down. it doesn't matter if she is set on fire, because she auto heals 1 wound every activation.

Actually, it does matter slightly that she's set on fire because she will take that one heart of damage at the beginning of the turn. You can use her ability to get rid of the fire upon her activation, but she's still going to take at least 1 heart of damage.

When I've played with other people, I've always played the Dark Consul since it is my game and I know it the best, thus am generally the most willing to take on the job of an army rather than a single character. However, I have played multiple test games alone to see how certain teams function, and I am partial to the Paladin, Mage, Rogue combination. They have high healing potential and cover every single stat so no treasure is worthless. I've noticed that on some teams you'll have no obvious advantage with WILL or DEX, and thus treasures that enhance those stats go straight to healing. That being said, most 16-bit parties will have a whole due to every character having uses, so it's a shame not to be able to use, say, the Rogue's mobility or the Barbarian's damage output.

March 13th, 2012, 6:42 pm
Minion

For me the first three choices are:
1) Paladin - His healing potion is crazy good, and the ARM buff is nice.
2) Rogue - Another one for the potion. Helps get damage dealers to the spawn points and her to the treasure!
3) Hexcast - Up until the errata she only needed a couple of bits of good equipment to take down Starfire by herself. Not sure how well she'll do now but I still like her chances.

After that I'd take someone to deal melee damage, either the Dwarf or Barbarian are fine, and some crowd control that any of the remaining characters can provide but usually the Ranger does it best.

March 13th, 2012, 8:06 pm
Bottle Cap

It really depends on which friends are playing.
The last game I played as you-know-who, then to make up the party my friends chose Dwarf and Rogue.

We won the game but I died heroically fighting Starfire, so did the Rogue, and Dwarf was the dragonslayer (only just!)

March 14th, 2012, 2:00 am
Denizen

A party does need balance. In general you should have classes that will use all types of dice, some healing/defensive options, and the ability to target multiple enemies at once.

March 14th, 2012, 3:07 am
Bottle Cap

Raijen wrote:
My normal players tend to shoot for treasure early and try to rack up enough kills in a turn to get a decient amount of loot. The idea is to give them as superior an advantage as they can before the console advances. In a ideal situation your front line defense should be able to mitigate enough damage to make most of the progress track the heroes doing (granting them more loot chances and making it eaiser to take out the bosses).

Sometimes it fails and I roll over them pretty well, other times they just dominate (I had a split party kill the dragon in one round by a secondary group being near the only place it could respawn after if hit half health).

We've never tried a treasure rush, we'll give it a go :)

March 14th, 2012, 11:07 am
Minion

If you're doing treasure rush, then you need the Rogue.

March 14th, 2012, 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

Probably why we've never tried it ;) In a five man we had the rogue once and had it dex tanking with barb's counter pots, nice combination those two are :)

We'll try some treasure rushing and update you when we do :)

March 14th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Bottle Cap

Treasure rush is a GREAT tactic. Last game, Rogue handed a green defense relic to the dwarf on round 2. Small hairy indestructible tank FTW!!!

March 14th, 2012, 7:28 pm
Minion

For a solid treasure rush Rogue is a must, both for the potions teleport power as well as the Luck ability. To make things even more potent, try pairing her up with Candy (and Cola). Candy adds an additional Luck hero and can throw the Rogue (or Paladin) potions when needed to help speed things up. Her 3 potion power is also pretty solid, I’ve seen it used with the archer to do two burst attacks to clear out a couple large clusters of enemies or (with the help of another action booster) drop a ogre in one activation (without using the barbarian).

Like I said though, my heroes have been hit or miss with the tactic. Either the dragon isn’t much more than yard trash by the time she comes out or the heroes have usually died before she can come out.

Tip for console players though, try to bottleneck the players in turn one with two knuckleheads and an ironscale (make sure you use shieldwall). The 1B+1(or 2) defense isn’t the easiest thing to take out first round and the +2B attack granted by the mob ability lets you hit fairly frequently.
If your heroes can teleport or have ranged combat, a fun trick is to place a flinger behind a spawn or in front of a (mini-)boss and have them drop smoke. It will block line of sight and force them into melee (setting them on fire in the case of 16-bit or SUPER level spawn points).

March 14th, 2012, 10:19 pm
Minion

When you're playing the heroes do you try hard out to kill all the spawning points before Starfire appears, or are you more concerned with treasure? My usual group goes for the spawn points, but I played with another group on the weekend and they focused on powering up the heroes. They only killed 2 spawn points and ended up losing half the party (3 deaths one ressurection) but their plan worked and they just won in the end.

March 21st, 2012, 10:30 am
Denizen

Deathraven wrote:
When you're playing the heroes do you try hard out to kill all the spawning points before Starfire appears, or are you more concerned with treasure? My usual group goes for the spawn points, but I played with another group on the weekend and they focused on powering up the heroes. They only killed 2 spawn points and ended up losing half the party (3 deaths one ressurection) but their plan worked and they just won in the end.

In general, when I've tested out the heroes, I'll focus most of the heroes on spawn points while one (generally somebody with range or the rogue) will focus on treasure. Ideally you'll have a good mix. The spawn points should be your #1 priority, but treasure is so important once Starfire shows up. Thankfully, you can generally nab some extra treasure from Rex, so getting every single chest may not be necessary.

March 22nd, 2012, 12:25 am
Minion

Our group generally goes for spawn points too and only collects treasure when it is not too out of the way or there is a dedicated treasure hunter hero. This is usually smeone with ranged attack, so that the hero in question can support the main force a little quicker, if neccessary.

March 22nd, 2012, 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]