View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Super Dungeon Explore Homebrew Campaign in progress. 
Ninja Corps

SPM_Deke wrote:
If you're going to have currency you may as well use the actual currency of Crystalia:

Crystal Crowns: Commonly called, Crowns, and occasionally, Princess Coins. Each coin features the stylized representation of a princess upon it, with a colored field representing its value.

Emerald = 1 Crown
Sapphire = 5 Crowns
Ruby = 20 Crowns
Citrine = 50 Crowns
Amethyst = 200 Crowns

This is actually pretty funny, as the least precious stones seem to represent the highest values here...

April 15th, 2014, 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Holy Cross wrote:
Salaura wrote:
I love the use of traditional DND tiles.

Maybe I'll steal the idea, Muahahahahaha!

I don't mind, ....so long as you don't tell people it was your idea ;P

Of course not.

@ Deke. Those five gems, they woulden't happen to be the names of the five Princesses of Crystalia, would they?
Cause I see Emerald and Ruby in there, for two outta five..

[[If so, then good, it means that our gothic lolita 'Princess Garnet' is an illegitimate child.]]

April 15th, 2014, 11:28 pm
Denizen

@Dr Despair
I like that idea. Give the hero a culminating event that grants a permanent improvement. With that said these events won't be as warm and fluffy as the example you gave, but it's along the right lines. What I'll probably do is pick out a relic for each character and, upon completion of their culminating event, they will be able to stack that (and only that) relic on top of what they already have.

As for the event script it'll probably be something like (for example, the heroes just defeated an optional, side quest boss who will not be named here)

"You strike the final blow on -INSERT BOSS NAME- and, as he falls to his knees, a raging flame shoots up in a swirling vortex. As the fiery vortex spins and tightens, it slowly forms into a jagged red gem then falls to the floor with a sharp clink that pierces the silence. The Hearthsworn Fighter tentatively moves forward and, as he grasps the gem, his vision flashes white, his ears rumbling with the ethereal call of his ancestors." .....[Soul of the Ancients] has fused itself to the Hearthsworn Fighter, granting him -INSERT DICE BONUS AND/OR ABILITY-.

....hmmmm, perhaps I'll need to make custom cards for these events =/

April 16th, 2014, 2:37 am
Dungeon Boss

You guys should read some of the existing threads here and on BGG about campaign ideas. A lot of the ideas you are discussing here have already been discussed at length, and may help give you some perspective about what may or may not work well in a SDE campaign.

I'm eager to see what other ideas you guys do come up with. With the way the base rules of SDE are changing (and especially with the co-op rules), I can see a lot of new possibilities for campaign integration.

April 16th, 2014, 12:16 pm
Mini-Boss

thetang22 wrote:
You guys should read some of the existing threads here and on BGG about campaign ideas. A lot of the ideas you are discussing here have already been discussed at length, and may help give you some perspective about what may or may not work well in a SDE campaign.

I'm eager to see what other ideas you guys do come up with. With the way the base rules of SDE are changing (and especially with the co-op rules), I can see a lot of new possibilities for campaign integration.

:)
I've read the ones on here, and I've got a plenty of ideas for campaign stuff, but my preference is to wait for Legends to start being worked on before I get down to work on them. That way people won't have to learn a whole new system of rules just to play my campaign.
That said I can see that the new rules open up a whole range of campaign possibilities (which I suppose was the point). A promising one I can see is Legendary Dungeons - massive unique labyrinths designed to be explored in multiple game sessions. They would have determined maps with determined adventure effects for each tile and determined treasuries throughout, giving the environment a sense of individual space and allowing a narrative to be carved into it. I like this idea because the continuity provided by having all the gameplay take place in a single dungeon would make it easier to structure and balance the gameplay; it would also build out of the SDE 2.0 rules and their Adventure Effects in a way that feels quite organic and natural.

April 16th, 2014, 5:57 pm
Dungeon Boss

Dr. Despair wrote:
my preference is to wait for Legends to start being worked on before I get down to work on them. That way people won't have to learn a whole new system of rules just to play my campaign.

Amen to that. I've brainstormed a LOT of campaign possibilities over the past few years. About 6-12 months ago, I started getting pretty serious about organizing it all into something coherent, because it looked like an official campaign may be perpetually on the back burner. Well, we know its finally going to get the attention it needs, sooner than later.

I think my ideas for a campaign will have much better long-term appeal if I wait for the official mechanics, and adapt my ideas to them....rather than trying to develop the whole system as well (which would really just compete with the official system once its released).

April 16th, 2014, 6:40 pm
Denizen

thetang22 wrote:
Dr. Despair wrote:
my preference is to wait for Legends to start being worked on before I get down to work on them. That way people won't have to learn a whole new system of rules just to play my campaign.

Amen to that. I've brainstormed a LOT of campaign possibilities over the past few years. About 6-12 months ago, I started getting pretty serious about organizing it all into something coherent, because it looked like an official campaign may be perpetually on the back burner. Well, we know its finally going to get the attention it needs, sooner than later.

I think my ideas for a campaign will have much better long-term appeal if I wait for the official mechanics, and adapt my ideas to them....rather than trying to develop the whole system as well (which would really just compete with the official system once its released).

That's a smart move. Admittedly releasing a home brew campaign right on the cusp of a major rule change will come with challenges, my intent is to give the SDE community a campaign they can play while they wait for Forgotten King and SDE: Legends to come out. I also plan to keep the campaign as a living document so that it can easily be adapted to incorporate the 2.0 rules. There will also be an adjustable difficulty level centered around increasing/decreasing how many skulls can be spawned each turn per spawn point, as well as how many skulls can activate on each consul turn.

April 16th, 2014, 7:29 pm
Mini-Boss

I know that for me at least, doing a sort-of beta Legends is all about me practicing as a DM.
It's a skill that I want to have down-pat for when Legends comes out

April 16th, 2014, 7:57 pm
Denizen

Here's another teaser: (work in progress)

April 16th, 2014, 8:50 pm
Denizen

...and the mini to accompany:

April 16th, 2014, 8:52 pm
Ninja Corps

Has this been brought up before? Will loot cards have a "breaking point" and need to be replaced.i think it'd pretty funny for a hero to lose a weapon in the middle of a fight.

April 17th, 2014, 12:38 am
Denizen

acrd_circle wrote:
Has this been brought up before? Will loot cards have a "breaking point" and need to be replaced.i think it'd pretty funny for a hero to lose a weapon in the middle of a fight.

No plans for durability/breaking items. But if enough people want it, I could work it into the campaign as an option for higher difficulty.

April 17th, 2014, 12:52 am
Mini-Boss

Love that antipaladin mini!

April 18th, 2014, 10:44 pm
Denizen

Salaura wrote:
Love that antipaladin mini!

A friend of mine made/painted him for me! And all I asked for was a Paladin in a dark color scheme! :mrgreen:

April 19th, 2014, 1:32 am
Denizen

Quick update: I'm up to 8 battles out of the 23 in the draft. Once this is done, I'll be working out the exact mechanics of each battle then turning the story notes into a full narrative. Right now the battles are basic concepts with rough sketches.

April 19th, 2014, 1:36 am
Denizen

Looks interesting. Ive been thinking myself of playing it on a board, using a tape measure with inches, rather than using squares. That way you can use your other fantasy terrain:)

Edit and the anti paladin looks great too!

Facebook

Instagram

April 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm
Mini-Boss

Velvet Mark wrote:
Looks interesting. Ive been thinking myself of playing it on a board, using a tape measure with inches, rather than using squares. That way you can use your other fantasy terrain:)

Well, that gives me an idea...see, my group's gaming table is this huge 5ft by 9ft former ping-pong table that we laid 1-inch grid paper and clear laminate over. We also have some battletech terrain [that's why the table was gridded out in the first place]
Maybe for some epic campaign-style SDE battles, saying 'screw the tiles, you have to get from this side of the table to the other'

:twisted:

April 21st, 2014, 7:02 pm
Denizen

Salaura wrote:
Velvet Mark wrote:

Well, that gives me an idea...see, my group's gaming table is this huge 5ft by 9ft former ping-pong table that we laid 1-inch grid paper and clear laminate over. We also have some battletech terrain [that's why the table was gridded out in the first place]
Maybe for some epic campaign-style SDE battles, saying 'screw the tiles, you have to get from this side of the table to the other'

:twisted:

That should work with my campaign. With each battle I plan to give an example layout with a recommended size and pool of monsters and battle effects/dungeon effects. I'll make it specific enough that there will be an exact template for those who want/need it, but the final setup will be at the Consul's discretion. It should convert just fine to an open table with inches rather than grid squares. It'll definitely work with a wet erase board/dungeon mat.

April 22nd, 2014, 12:35 am
Denizen

Quick update: 11 battles have been drafted, including the first optional battle/side quest. Halfway down before I can tighten down the specifics of each battle and polish the script/narrative.

I also test played the first 2 battles with my wife which went fairly well. For the first two fights there are no spawn points, rather a natural point where monsters [enter] the battlefield. Say for instance the heroes were inside a surrounded building and a door is smashed in, flying off it's hinges, then every so many moves (X) skulls worth of Kobolds rush in from the doorway and activate.

Using this event based spawning (and a Consul player capable of fairness and good discretion) the battle can be adjusted on the fly to the ability level of the player. If they are struggling then the monsters [lose momentum] and you only bring in (3) skulls worth or spawn less often. Conversely if the heroes are on a roll you can ramp it up to match it.

With that, what are everyone's thoughts on having 3 tiers of monster aggression per battle that can be adjusted on the fly? Perhaps spawning events that can be triggered if the heroes are doing well, just to add more challenge, and maybe more reward?

April 22nd, 2014, 12:52 am
Bottle Cap

Holy Cross wrote:
With that, what are everyone's thoughts on having 3 tiers of monster aggression per battle that can be adjusted on the fly? Perhaps spawning events that can be triggered if the heroes are doing well, just to add more challenge, and maybe more reward?

I always enjoy it when there's a thoughtful mechanic in games that can tip the scales back into balance when one side starts bulldozing. It can't be so wild and random that it makes it impossible for either side to strategize, but something that can better match the sides.

The extra risk for extra reward gamble should be separate, if it's included at all. But to your point, if you play "ultra hard mode", you should get better chances at better loot or something, knowing you could be wiped out completely if you fail.

April 22nd, 2014, 3:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next