View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 How did you get into Super Dungeon Explore? 
Bottle Cap

Was a miniature gamer and I wanted my wife into it as well, she really didn't like the concept of a grim dark future so we tried boardgames with miniature components coz minis are awesome. Played something with a weird war theme but it didn't really float well with her. Here comes SDE with their chibi cute miniatures and lo and behold he likes it. Plus I like painting minis.

May 27th, 2014, 4:08 am
Minion

I was in a painting funk. Didn't want to get back into GW products, and wasn't having much fun painting Warmachine/Infinity either. Just couldn't find a line to keep my interest.

I was watching "how to play" videos on youtube, and one for SDE came up. I loved the way the game looked and played, and took the plunge. I've only got 10 models left to paint to complete the existing line (plus King Starfire, if his Highness deigns to return to the Online Store), they're an absolute joy to work on!

June 1st, 2014, 2:17 pm
Ninja Corps

I play some miniature and board games and remember seeing the box for SDE soon after release at my FLGS. It looked fun, but there was no demo available or person who had played before, so I passed. Almost a year later I went to a convention with a board game area and there was scheduled SDE demo games happening. My wife and I played with a few other people, and I loved it. We came back and played a second game later that weekend. I soon picked the game up and picked up the Von Drakk expansion with it. Now, I just need to set some time aside and paint all of it.

June 1st, 2014, 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

I saw the game on Kickstarter, but never pledged. Months went by and it showed up at the local gaming store. I really wanted it but at $100 I was too cheap to buy it for myself. My fiancée got it for me for Christmas. I put the models together and started to paint them, but never played a game. Almost a year went by and still hadn't played a game. Then I finally got the time, My fiancée and I loved the game and couldn't put it down. That was the start of the addiction. Two base sets and every expansion later, we are still going strong.

June 20th, 2014, 8:12 am
Bottle Cap

Group got Descent. Hated it. Did some searching for a dungeon crawler that would suit our tastes better. We love Super Dungeon.

June 22nd, 2014, 3:29 am
Bottle Cap

When i walked around PAX 2010 PAX 2012 and spotted the minis and demo boards that were set up. Now i want PAX 2017,How to order about this.. its changed now. so i cant do like pre ordered. A year later at PAX 2011, we both preordered our copies.

April 4th, 2017, 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Minion

I got a review copy of first edition and fell in love. Been a sucker for the game ever since.

April 4th, 2017, 5:15 pm
Minion

I was recovering from a series of back surgeries and needed something to do. I always liked painting minis so I looked into different games. I watched many different YouTube videos and stumbled across the Watch it Played videos. I liked the minis (chibis were something new for me) and the gameplay. I bought a copy of first edition for cheap and the rest was history. I love painting the Chibi minis and I like the fact that I can play this with my kids. I have gone on to buy Forgotten King and many of the expansions. I hope that SDE will be around for a long time.

April 4th, 2017, 6:50 pm
Bottle Cap

I was in an absolutely enormous gaming store, looking for the next Pathfinder card game box, a game which is kinda wearing on me after having gotten every set since the first. Across the way I see this amazing box art, what must have been 10 pounds of rattling minis, fun characters, randomized and diverse setups, and the potential for co-op play. That was 6 weeks ago, and since then I went Legendary on the re-opened KS and have obtained about 1/3 of the line now. I should run, I think Roxor 2.0 just showed up... :)

April 4th, 2017, 10:49 pm
Denizen

Most likely path was that I saw a discussion thread or banner ad on The Miniatures Page and grabbed a copy of the second printing as soon as I could c. May 2012 (judging by my Joined Date here). How could I resist a dungeon full of cute kobolds?!?

April 5th, 2017, 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I have a huge Descent collection, and Amazon (curse you Amazon!) recommended SDE based on my history. A YouTube video later, and so I bought basically everything I could get my hands on. I think I have everything except King Starfire and the original metal Candy and Cola mini [Although, I do have cards for both from the upgrade deck].

I love the Chibi style for miniatures -- They have so much more detailed in terms of facial expressions than the minis from Descent.

April 5th, 2017, 5:50 am
Denizen

I played the original classic when it came out. My friend brought it over and we played and had a blast. Then, we fell out of touch and I never played it again. a couple of years later I was like, "What was that game, I want to try it again." Bought it. Found out there was an arcade version in FK, bought that. Played one game. Bought everything. Literally.

Since then, it has become number 1 favorite game. Even edging out Warmachine/Hordes

April 5th, 2017, 9:54 am
Mini-Boss

My introduction to the game was very similar to Alkatchoff in that I am a fan of the board game Youtube series “Watch it Played” and found one of his older videos that I had not seen about Super Dungeon Explore. As I started watching it I was immediately interested in how the game emulated some of my favourite games from my youth (most notably Gauntlet which is still probably my favourite arcade video game of all time). As i watched all of the episodes I got more and more interested in the game. I quickly hunted down a copy and the rest is history.

I have to also say that, coming from a long stint with Games Workshop, painting the chibi minis was a wonderful break!

April 5th, 2017, 3:31 pm
Denizen

Spazzfist wrote:
I have to also say that, coming from a long stint with Games Workshop, painting the chibi minis was a wonderful break!

THIS GUY KNOWS!

April 5th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Minion

My husband listened to a lot of podcasts at work and heard about it on the Dice Tower one. He looked it up, showed it to me, and we both went "gasp, this is totally my thing". We looked for it at 4 FLGS before we found a copy.

I had grown up watching my mom paint ceramics, so I jumped pretty naturally to the minis. I'm not as good as she is, but I enjoy it more than actually playing the game now.

April 10th, 2017, 1:33 am
Minion

Back in the days before a new dungeon crawler went onto Kickstarter daily, I was looking around for something new. I wanted something that was more contained than other endless miniature games, that didn't involve rulers, had dice that were counting symbols rather than doing much math, and was on the cute side of things. This was partly me and partly with a family focus. I pre-ordered SDE along with Soda Candy and Cola from Cool Mini or Not and spent a frustrating day assembling miniatures. While fun, the game lacked variety and was a bit clunky. Plus, with kids around, cooperative is a lot more appetizing than competitive. So. SDE 1.0 lived in a closet for a long time.

Then I discovered the Forgotten King Kickstarter with "revamped rules" to include a cooperative Arcade mode. I was all in on the KS and then proceeded to buy up EVERYTHING I could that I had missed since the original release. FK was initially super awesome. Many an Arcade game were played. However, it too showed issues. I started to work with other forum posters to house rule things. I house ruled FK to high heaven. Eventually other dungeon crawlers fulfilled a lot of my wants. Back into the closet SDE went.

But it taunted me. Many times I would stand before the closet staring at it --WANTING to play the game that it begged to be. Then the Legends KS came. And I really struggled. I was so far down the rabbit hole, but SPM seemed to think the rules were almost right and only needed a minor tweak. I knew it was more. I still went all in on the KS, but seriously considered backing out. I was on the cusp of refund until they acknowledged a desire to go all in on a rules update along with player feedback. With how things have moved along with the current Arcade beta, I am again looking at an Amazon cart filled up with all the recent releases, but am unsure if Arcade will make it the final lap. Yet...the last few days have me pretty excited again at that potential as community and designer discussion picks up.

April 11th, 2017, 1:02 am
Bottle Cap

A group of friends regularly meets to play Red Dragon Inn. One night the owner of the set we use brought Forgotten King to play instead and I loved it immediately. Though I was a little bummed no gnome heroes were available, the Tabbybrook Mage kicked butt and took names that night.

A local game store had a copy of FK on sale so I purchased it immediately and snagged a late pledge only about three days before they were removed from the store. :D

April 13th, 2017, 9:55 pm
Mini-Boss

I went to Gencon and stopped by the CMON booth the year that they announced Super Dungeon Explore.

I got my metal Candy the next year at Gencon. They had a drawing for the ten boxes that they had on hand. It turns out that Adam Poots (Kingdom Death) also pre-ordered a copy, and won one of the boxes.

April 18th, 2017, 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

I ordered sth different from the CMON Store and saw an ad for SDE 1st ed. I thougth what the hell and bought it too. Since then I've gotten most of the newer stuff. Got most on both KS, but without any of the single minis.
No regrets and high hopes for 2.0 and Legends.

April 19th, 2017, 10:12 am
Minion

Was at a local game store and saw the artwork out of the corner of my eye. It caught my atention because the art work on the original 1st ed box reminded me of grand chase.
I got it a month latter for christmas and have loved it ever since

May 2nd, 2017, 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3