View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 26th, 2018, 1:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New Resin Model; So they're doing 2 a month now!? 
Mini-Boss

Love this fungus man model, but there is no way I am going to pay that much for it.

1) I do not want to support this business model
2) I would rather wait for it to be on sale
3) I would rather wait for it to come out in plastic
4) The last couple of orders I've had from them have also had extra charges for duty and taxes which really makes it prohibitive.

May 15th, 2018, 10:14 pm
Denizen

ManicMan wrote:
they have said a few hours ago it'll go on the sodapop site too.. annoying lag but there you go

If they do I will probably buy it. It looks awesome.

May 15th, 2018, 11:09 pm
Denizen

@Spazzfist - i'm in the same boat for 2).

re: 3), produced in Plastic, they've indicated (thus far) the masterclass line will exclusively be in resin and not redone in plastic and is not planned to hit retail. This isn't to say they can't release something 'similar' in plastic down the line (given the interest for more hero mushrooms) or change their minds and no longer make these exclusives in the online store.

May 15th, 2018, 11:23 pm
Mini-Boss

The Fungomancer is up on the SPM store

May 15th, 2018, 11:24 pm
Bottle Cap

I do agree with the point being - I don't want to collect SDE this way. Hopefully this is a temporary business move and after that we go back to the standard box sets.

I am really pleased with this Shroom miniboss though, I haven't suppressed the completionist in me quite yet.

May 16th, 2018, 2:17 am
Denizen

Worship wrote:
I do agree with the point being - I don't want to collect SDE this way. Hopefully this is a temporary business move and after that we go back to the standard box sets.

I am really pleased with this Shroom miniboss though, I haven't suppressed the completionist in me quite yet.

I love this model set. I’ve already put my order in. I can totally see the Shroom Hero as a hero character or NPC in SD:Legends. I’m ok with the higher prices since I know SPM have to go through different, more expensive (ish) channels to produce these minis.

I’m sure yours would look amazing once painted if you picked this set up.

May 16th, 2018, 2:21 am
Bottle Cap

Holy Cross wrote:
I love this model set. I’ve already put my order in. I can totally see the Shroom Hero as a hero character or NPC in SD:Legends. I’m ok with the higher prices since I know SPM have to go through different, more expensive (ish) channels to produce these minis.

Already ordered mine :D I'm betting it will arrive before Candy or Randy lol

May 16th, 2018, 2:34 am
Minion

Worship wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:

Already ordered mine :D I'm betting it will arrive before Candy or Randy lol

Don't bet too hard. People are already getting shipping confirmations for Sweetheart Candy

May 16th, 2018, 2:44 am
Ninja Corps

Worship wrote:

I hope they don't abandon the masterclass concept, really. Though, a release a month, or one every two months, once things are more back on track would make more sense, I think. two in a month is a little rough. Though, i'm still going to order both once both are in stock at the same time. :P

May 16th, 2018, 3:00 am
Minion

I have bought Candy, Walrus and the Wolf. Didn't get Randy. So my "must buy everything" is already broken.

Now I will make a case by case desicion whether to buy or not...

I kind of like the Mushroom as I have lots of Fae Woods stuff, so it'll slide right in. Just like the Wolfie did.

I could use another Fae Wood boss though. Maybe a small boss? They don't all need to be giants, just powerful. I'm hoping for a small Fae boss. The boss doesn't even have to be accompanied by creeps. Fae Wood already has creeps...

Also, the Ninja stuff needs a Ninja boss. It could be regular sized Super ninja that is just so good it can be a Boss.

May 16th, 2018, 10:21 am
Minion

My Dire Wolf is in post. the Finnish customs actually made a decision not to bill me anything! They propably felt sorry after seeing the price tag and postage I paid for it...

Small favours! :D

May 16th, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator Ninja

sproutchu wrote:
Switching to a plain base on a 3D render has to be the easiest thing to fix. I should know, I make a living working in 3D parts and assemblies.

I don't think any of the guys do 3D modeling. They might not even own the software to do it properly.

May 16th, 2018, 10:46 am
Mini-Boss

bit pricey but I liked this model so I got it brought. Since I haven't gotten the shipping order for Candy yet, they might combo it but that is very unlikely and doesn't really matter.. in fact, probably best if they don't because of current UK Customs and duty prices (you don't pay VAT from non-European or special territories if it's under £15, and for customs duty, it's anything under £135). VAT isn't normally too bad, it's the bloody Royal Mail handling fee that's the killer... charging way too high just for the fact that they handled it. some other companies you can get away with it (there is one which gives you the parcel, then sends you the bill for there handling fee.. legally, you don't have to pay that handling fee, but you do the VAT.. so it's easy to send off a quick e-mail and get out of paying that Handling fee).. but Royal mail/Parcel force hold your stuff to ransom.

================

May 16th, 2018, 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

Jestor wrote:
sproutchu wrote:
Switching to a plain base on a 3D render has to be the easiest thing to fix. I should know, I make a living working in 3D parts and assemblies.

I don't think any of the guys do 3D modeling. They might not even own the software to do it properly.

Not just that - you can buy stock flat bases in a huge array of sizes for pennies. Even if they cast several hundred at a time, the textured bases are going to be more expensive by an order of magnitude.

However, I tend to believe that it's money well spent. The flat bases are hurting their reputation. And their reputation isn't exactly solid gold right now anyway. I am irritated that the bases don't match, and I think for as much as these cost, they ought to put in the effort to get them right.

I still bought the fungomancer once he was in the SPM store, so my irritated rant is a little undermined. I still wonder why they have two stores, and would like to talk to their web team about basic principles of user experience.

May 16th, 2018, 3:00 pm
Denizen

ND and SPM are separate so my understanding was that SPM store will prioritize/carry SPM products and ND store will carry SPM products AND those that are not SPM products they distribute.

Also, it'll be branded Ninja Division rather than SPM.

May 16th, 2018, 3:10 pm
Minion

$40 for a mini-boss, or $60 for 3 Spawn Points, a mini-boss, a boss, and 3 heroes (a level box)...

This pricing doesn't make sense to me. One of these things seems very worth it. The other does not.

May 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm
Denizen

haven1433 wrote:
$40 for a mini-boss, or $60 for 3 Spawn Points, a mini-boss, a boss, and 3 heroes (a level box)...

This pricing doesn't make sense to me. One of these things seems very worth it. The other does not.

Mass producing plastic minis out of China costs far less per unit than producing smaller runs of resin minis locally. Right now this appears to be the only way they can continue to release models.

That said, if you don't agree with it, feel free to vote with your dollars.

May 16th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Denizen

@haven1433 - the resin masterclass products will never add up pricing wise to a plastic big boxes and aren't intended to compete. As Holy Cross indicated, it's more expensive to produce. They may very well have a higher profit margin, too, b/c it's higher risk to create a boutique product and if it bombs, those are just sitting in their warehouse (although it seems everything they've released sells out so....). Also, I think with Resin there is an ongoing cost to make more molds as they wear out, right?

Resin thus far:
$60? large base boss (king starfire)
$40 for large base mini (tusk raider, Warg)
$40 for large base mini and small base mini (Fungomancer and Hero shroom)
$30 for 3 small base heroes (Tako girls bundle) - better price than plastic!
$25? for small base mini boss (Randy)
$20 small base minis (twilight knight, tako girls, Candy?)

For plastics:
$60 = Level Box (1 boss (2 minis for Von Drakk), 3 spawns, 3 heroes (4 minis for Von Drakk), 1 mini boss (6 shells for Roxor)
$40 = Arena Box (1 mini, special fold out 4 tile, rules, loot, treasure, tokens)
$40 = Warband (1 mini boss, 2 spawns, 1 hero - (1 pet for Stilttown)) - Claws of Wyrm has alt hero profile
$35 = 1 mini boss, 1 digital game (iron golem)
$30 = 12 creeps/pets, 6 tiles
$25 = 1 boss, 6 creeps
$20 = 1 large base hero (deeproot wolfrider
$15 = 2 small base hero/mini boss/pet (candy/cola)
$13 = 1 small base hero/mini boss

I'm voting with my dollars and NOT BUYING the Warg or Fungomancer until there's a better deal or my situation changes that I happen to have a giant wad of cash I can blow on boutique minis (which is likely not going to happen until I finish painting the minis I have (in like 2020+ ;)).

May 16th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Bottle Cap

I'm new to the forum, but collected SDE till about 2 years ago(got pregnant, had different priorities for a while). I love the new model, but the price point kills me. I'm currently debating if spending two months fun money is worth two minis(I want to say yes, but summers approaching with a 19 month old).
It's super fun though. I'm jealous of anyone who can pick it up.

May 16th, 2018, 5:27 pm
Mini-Boss

price isn't great, but you aren't really compare size like 'Large base'.. it's more a case of volume.. you can easily make a small base figure that uses as much plastic or resin as a large base figure.. ever wondered why you look at some toys in the same price size in the same range, but one looks like a normal figure, and another looks like a normal figure with a couple of weapons? it's cause of per unit price. For the size, there is a set amount of plastic, a set amount of paint/tampograph etc.

The Funomancer and Kinoshroom might have the same amount of resin as the Tusk Raider, I can't really say, it's tricky It's like why the plastic war bands the number of figures varies a fair bit. It's normally AROUND the same amount but not always.. Emerald Valley had 18 figures where the same priced Clawys of the Wyrm had only 15. Von Drakk Mansion level set has 32 figures, where as the Caverns of Roxor had 37..

main thing is this: Resin at quicker to produce. While things are being done, they are doing a special run of special higher detail figures which you can choose to buy if you want or not. If you do, be warned they will cost more as the PPU is higher. They say it's not gonna be a new business model, it's just a line to pretty much keep new stuff coming out at the moment, else there is gonna be a big gap until the next range of stuff is coming out.

================

May 16th, 2018, 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next