View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New Resin Model; So they're doing 2 a month now!? 
Bottle Cap

InfinityMax wrote:
...However, I tend to believe that it's money well spent. The flat bases are hurting their reputation. And their reputation isn't exactly solid gold right now anyway. I am irritated that the bases don't match, and I think for as much as these cost, they ought to put in the effort to get them right...

I've brought this up several times already because I agree, I would like consistency in this massive collection. Maybe it just wasn't possible with the local resin producing.. which is fine I get it. If this continues with their boxed sets in the future which tend have lots of minis, then we have a problem! :cry:

May 16th, 2018, 6:11 pm
Denizen

At least for the SDE Legends KS, this was brought up and Ninja Scott already indicated that the plan is for the plastic to have the signature cobblestone bases.

May 16th, 2018, 6:28 pm
Denizen

I'm OK with the higher prices for resin as long as the models take advantage of it. For instance, the detail you see in the tusk raider never would have work in plastic. I probably should have skipped the warg - he could be plastic. He didn't need the detail of resin. The fungomancer definitely looks like the detail is there. I passed on Sweetheart Candy and Randy, but that was because I think they don't go with Super Dungeon.

May 16th, 2018, 7:30 pm
Consul

What kind of details is it you don't think could be done in plastic though?

Chains?

I'm not seeing anything I haven't seen the equal of in other SDE models.

May 16th, 2018, 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

The difference in the tusk raider is pretty obvious. The warg, not as much.

Soft plastic just doesn't hold detail as well as resin. The depressions aren't as deep, so the whole thing can look sort of soft. For the sake of comparison, look at Holy Cross's post on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15003&start=120

It's not that you can't tell what details were intended. It's more that the resin details are sharper and cleaner.

Also, GW hard plastic holds detail better than SDE soft plastic. I don't know if the mini you're showing is GW, but their plastic is stiffer and holds detail better. It's also more expensive.

May 16th, 2018, 9:02 pm
Consul

Yes GW indeed :)
I'm not paying too much attention to Holy Cross's post though as they are literally not the same model :-/

But while you might be technically right, I'm still not seeing anything on the Tusk Raider that I don't think would look just the same in (soft) plastic.
I think a good model to compare it to would be Testudo Tower. If he can look the way he does in plastic, why can't Tusk Raider?

May 17th, 2018, 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

ImageImage
The difference between the render and the model for the lock on Tetsudo Tower's left arm is probably the most glaring indication that the resin can be better than the plastic. Another point of comparison is the Iron golem's chains, the links are far larger than the card art implies they wanted them to be.

May 17th, 2018, 2:12 pm
Mini-Boss

resin is a much better quality for detail then other plastics, just do the checking around in casting guides. However, also be warned, where as some places do 3D renders as a preview, some places like GW like to show you a preview which is a resin cast, and not the final metal or plastic cast version, so the preview looks better.. same kinda cheats happen when they show you fully painted figures as the preview but you get unpainted. paint if done right adds a lot of detail.

basically, when it comes to materials, a rough list would place (in order of best quality at the top):
Resin - holds detail well, strength can be a mixed bag depending on castors skill and how well they got a vibration table set up (not a must for resin casting, but almost there. soft gentle vibrations will bring the air bubbles to the surface without needing the person to keep gently rocking and tappin the mould. Problem is it can take much longer to set before you can demould and it can wear through the moulds much faster.
Multi-part hard plastic - Strong, it'll rarely bend because it'll snap more, which is also a big weakness. not really designed to take a lot of force but good for detail, not that great for single piece casting.
Multi-part medium plastic -this seams to kinda be what SPM mostly uses. there is bend (look at stuff like Ser Sharpclaw and his lance) but often without huge stress marks or breaking.
Single part plastics and metal -Single piece casting gives fairly poor quality results, even using injection moulding compared to multi-part. a lot of metal casters will tell you about problems with high quality detail on small pieces, like when it comes to figures with that.
Soft plastics (these are the cheap KO type stuff.. often used by some big toy companies for some parts of toys (you got a toy model bike with soft handles? that's the stuff). easy to bend, doesn't snap as easy because of it, but very easy to bend and warp and creates big stress marks.

yeah,, metal is one of the worse for detail, yet they are often 'fancy pricey' figures.. I remember when GW upgraded to using White metal.. improvement but still not as good as plastics.. but it heavy and people get the impression it's better (doesn't break as much on thicker parts then plastic does.

I can't really give much more detailed information on each type.. you need to get some better castors.. I only work with resin and plaster really. and for what I do, I find silicone moulds work well for resin casting ^_^; so as you can tell, I don't do much super detailed work like that. Do a bit less now cause it was more a minor hobby then something really really serious.

================

May 17th, 2018, 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

I'm not denying that resin holds details better :)

I'm questioning if it's really needed with SDE models. I'll even go as far as saying I think the "university" crossover models look out of place with their ultra sharp hair. If it's due to resin or just the design of the 3D render I do not know...
Also I wonder why not make these models they intend to keep selling in plastic? Resin molds burn out quicker - makes sense for limited promos. But they don't expect to keep selling Tusk Raider and friends? Why not go for the durable and long term cheaper plastic mold?

May 17th, 2018, 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Ok, so the sharp hair on the tako girls wasn't just me! I think it was the style? It didn't bother me as much as accidentally dousing one tako girl's head and my entire hand with super glue b/c it's...been awhile since I've had to glue any models.

As for needing resin, I personally don't think the tako girls did. Maybe the tentacle on one of them, but I was surprised they were resin especially compared to the Tusk Raider. I only picked up the tako girls up b/c I snagged the bundle so they ended up $10/each - cheaper than the plastic single hero expansions and I had ideas for an SDE:L campaign. My thought/understanding that they were resin was b/c they were a crossover product and would have lower demand and thus wouldn't warrant plastic production. But now we kind of know it's b/c they have 0 plastic production for SDE so resin is their only production channel avialable for SDE retail products. Resin has lower overhead/risk compared to plastic for production, right? I don't think they wanted to be sitting on bales of Tako girls like they still have a ton of single plastic hero expansions that haven't sold through from their warehouse or retail outlets.

As for not doing masterclass in plastic, it sounds like it's b/c the options they have are:

1) do resin now
2) do nothing
3) wait until plastic is available, then do plastic

1) has immediate impact now and lots of positives for the business and for fans that can afford it. The cost is the same as with any change in business practice - it doesn't benefit everyone.

2) do nothing I don't think makes any sense b/c option 1)'s positives outweigh the negatives. option 2) is only better than 1) if the negatives outweigh the positive.

3) may be worse than 2) b/c the wait, since it'd likely have to be after SDE:L. Also, SDE has enough potential that once plastic IS available, there's the assumption there won't be something EVEN BETTER than the Tusk Raider or Fungomancer that may come out in plastic. I think SPM knows that resin masterclass for $40 isn't going to compete well with $40 plastic warband, or $20 plastic expansion, but it's not meant to.

In my head, it's the same as there being different levels of deluxe dolls (since I now look at dolls in the toy store for my daughter). By creating different qualities/price points you will make it easier for someone to justify buying the cheaper product and the expensive product will still make profit off the niche buyers.

I would personally be ok with everything in plastic and cheaper :). But thankfully, I also don't 'need' a Warg or Fungus monster in my life like I did the Tusk Raider.

May 17th, 2018, 6:01 pm
Bottle Cap

I also noticed how the Uni crossovers had extremely sharp hair lol and even the new Twilight Knight was the same. Seems a little out of place but nothing that can't be sanded down just a little. A full paint job would probably help too.

This morning I was pleasantly surprised with two shipping notifications... Candy and the Fungomancer! two at once, very impressed lol Has anyone else gotten theirs yet?

May 17th, 2018, 6:43 pm
Denizen

Worship wrote:
I also noticed how the Uni crossovers had extremely sharp hair lol and even the new Twilight Knight was the same. Seems a little out of place but nothing that can't be sanded down just a little. A full paint job would probably help too.

This morning I was pleasantly surprised with two shipping notifications... Candy and the Fungomancer! two at once, very impressed lol Has anyone else gotten theirs yet?

Just got my notifications!

May 17th, 2018, 6:56 pm
Denizen

dsdrew924 wrote:
Im just more annoyed by the antics of, this is NINJA Division so I can't use my Ninja points, you can only use those on the Soda Pop store. Thats annoying because that's what makes me okay with the shipping.

He’s on the SPM store.

May 17th, 2018, 7:38 pm
Denizen

Goblin-King wrote:
What kind of details is it you don't think could be done in plastic though?

Chains?

I'm not seeing anything I haven't seen the equal of in other SDE models.

There's also a bit of missing information in this example.
-It's a different quality of plastic. (Already mentioned IIRC)
-It's a $21 USD plastic model.
-This link is to a $35 USD plastic model, not that much bigger or more detailed by the same company. (definitely not as large or detailed as the Tusk Raider)
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Pr ... es-Captain

-Here's a link to a $46 plastic model from the same company, a smidge bigger but similar in detail to the Tusk Raider.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sp ... readnought

Additionally the molds for the Commissar and Dreadnought have existed for years and have been distributed further, wider and in greater quantity than anything SPM has made. They could afford to drop those prices by now, but chose not to.

I hope this lends a bit of perspective. I understand the knee-jerk reaction to expensive resin when SPM has released a lot of minis at a very affordable price (especially compared to the rest of the industry). Most of those minis still exist and can be bought on their webstore. For now though, SPM just isn't in a position to release new/individual models in plastic. And for small releases plastic expenses would be monstrous.

Perhaps we are so accustomed to how affordable SPMs product line is that when they raise their price out of necessity, people cry foul. As for GWs highly detailed plastic, it's definitely not given without a cost.

May 19th, 2018, 9:17 pm
Consul

GW vs. SPM/ND was not the point I was trying to make - The Commissar was just the first model I could think of with free-hanging chains ;)

Quote:
For now though, SPM just isn't in a position to release new/individual models in plastic.

Yes! Thank you! This is my whole point I suppose.
I guess I'm just a tad bothered by hearing excuses for the resin minis.
I mean... Just stop pretending these models desperately NEEDED to be made in detail-preserving resin.
We might have different standards what constitute "details", but I don't think SDE models are very detailed at all.
Don't get me wrong. I really like them, but their style inherently makes them way less detailed than other styles.

But they are not doing anyone a favor with these other than releasing *something* rather than nothing.
Resin is the only desperate way they can even release anything at all? Sure, I don't like it, but I can at least respect that.

May 20th, 2018, 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

@Goblin King. I’m definitely not trying to start an anti GW argument. I’ve been a happy customer of them for years. It was more of a “Be careful what you wish for” statement since GW is accustomed to regularly charging for plastic, what SPM has charged for resin.

I definitely believe these resin models have arisen from necessity and plastic will come back after this “Legends” hurdle has been crossed. That said, I’m not sure resin will go away either. It’s existed in their lineup since King Starfire. Now it’s here on a more frequent basis.

Once plastic and resin are both readily available, it’ll be up to fans to vote with their dollars.

May 20th, 2018, 3:30 pm
Minion

They can do resin casting in the US. They do plastic casting in China.

I think that is a big part why the invidual stuff right now is resin instead of plastic. It can be done "locally" instead of in a chinese factory.

May 21st, 2018, 8:29 am
Denizen

Foxwhisperer wrote:
They can do resin casting in the US. They do plastic casting in China.

I think that is a big part why the invidual stuff right now is resin instead of plastic. It can be done "locally" instead of in a chinese factory.

Yes, pretty much exactly that. I wasn't saying 'I would rather pay for expensive resin because of the detail.' I was more saying 'I can live with resin as long as the model takes advantage of the better detail capacity.' I know why these are resin, and I know it's not about model detail, but if you are going to charge 40 bucks for a resin model, make them more detailed than you can with soft plastic.

May 21st, 2018, 2:43 pm
Denizen

Looking at the screenshots Holy Cross posted of Candy and Fungomancer, those two look like they take advantage of the resin, right?

The heroic kinoshroom and Warg, I guess, I'm not sure those two needed to be resin based on the detail, but I have no expertise in this area.

May 21st, 2018, 3:14 pm
Denizen

The fungomancer detail is great. Big fan. I have a little regret about the warg, though. He's mostly smooth, and that's a shame. Definitely could have been plastic.

May 21st, 2018, 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next