View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is anyone else just completely bored with SDE? 
Mini-Boss

I think that I have been one of the biggest fans of Super Dungeon since it came out. I've collected everything there is for the game, including multiples of everything. I got hyped for the Legends Kickstarter when it first came out. However, I think with all of the recent events with the kickstarter, I am really starting to lose interest in the game in general.

The resin exclusives were interesting at first, but now I don't really care. I haven't even touched any of my collection in months. It really sucks because I like the game, and want to continue playing it. At this current state though, I'm not sure if I can. I've thought about jumping ship and selling off my collection to start something new, but I know I would regret it later. I just keep telling myself to hold on a little longer.

Part of it was that Legends has been a disappointment. One of the reasons I was getting bored with the game was that the basic format of clearing rooms and fighting bosses was getting a little stale. I was hoping that a Legends would allow me to play a little differently. The pen and paper and freeform nature that Legends has become doesn't interest me anymore. I was very pumped up for the new arcade mode rules, but that's probably it.

Is anyone else feeling this way? Do you have the Super Dungeon Blues as well?

May 5th, 2018, 7:58 am
Minion

Absolutely! Somehow, with their Kickstarter delays SPM have sucked all the joy out of this game. I enjoyed the original version of SDE and played it a lot. Forgotten King was poorly designed and I only played it twice, hoping for better things with Legends. But the delay of delivering has left me feeling totally apathetic about the game and thoroughly disgusted with the way SPM treat its loyal customers.
I am still waiting for my copies of Way of the Fighter and Rail Raiders to arrive and I'm at the stage where I wonder if I'll ever see any of my orders arrive from this once friendly and reliable company. :x :evil:

May 5th, 2018, 9:41 am
Denizen

I think this is an understandable feeling. SDE was meant to evolve over a year ago and that evolution is caught up in a production delay. I would encourage you to have faith, there are exciting things coming sooner than you think. I know we’ve discussed it before, but SD:Legends is more structured than you’d think. (I know that complete freeform doesn’t appeal to you)

On the flip side, if you do desire to sell off your collection, IM me. I know it’s very well painted and, while I’d be sad to see you go, I have a good home for several of your models.

May 5th, 2018, 12:38 pm
Bottle Cap

I definitely share some of the feelings you have.. The only reason I've been coming to the forum nowdays is because of the disappointments I've had.

I'm way more into the minis themselves and the modeling side of it rather than the gaming, so from that perspective I say just hold onto your collection. Shelf it for now, no reason to sell it off right away.

The KS delay has really dragged on now, that's my biggest concern. 3 years later and we still don't have as much information as we should.

May 5th, 2018, 10:14 pm
Denizen

Have you tried the 2.0 rules? At least for arcade the challenge and plot adds more replay ability. I think legends will end up better than a campaign system even though that wasn’t what was promised.

May 5th, 2018, 11:24 pm
Mini-Boss

Fair enough point of view but I don't think I share it. I play tons of games over the years, including still playing ones which have never had any add-ons or ones which the add-ons stopped being released years and years ago.. lack of new content doesn't really bore me or anything.

as for bordom with the basic format, well... it's kinda the same basic format for a lot of games. IF you get bored with one, play something different for a while. maybe spend some time trying to fill in a blank word search with random letters you pick from a bag. Or try to bankrupt your friends by charging them high rents and buying up properties.. or figure out which of a limited group of people killed some guy, where, and with what..

================

May 6th, 2018, 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minion

My interest in SDE ebbs and flows like a tide. At the lowest point I don't think about SDE for months. Then something piques my interest and I kind of wish I could play the game again.

I have the Arcade beta kit, so I can actually play the game, but I don't like the improvised nature of the cards I have.

I will spend this time mostly not thinking of SDE (the resin figures have raised my interest level a bit, but not actually have me playing with my beta kit).

If/when the Arcade box actually comes out, I will start playing again.

Until then I'm keeping half an eye on the Soda Pop site and playing my other boardgames.

My main focus is the Arcade. I'm not even thinking about the Legends, but if/when it actually is released I will try it too. I'm just not waiting for it.

This is my standard attitude to all of my kickstarted games. I pay very little attention on the game until it is actually shipping. Saves me some grief as many of the games I've kickstarted ship late. That is the nature of the beast...

So, to sum up, I will play SDE once I get my hands on the Arcade box.

May 7th, 2018, 9:07 am
Denizen

I used to look at my cabinet of minis and go "meh."

So I did something about it. I work hard all day long, so on the train rides in and out of manhattan, on lunch break, I'd take out a pen and marble notebook and I wrote World Of Super Dungeon Explore Craft.

Now, I can't put the game down for more than a week without missing it. I think the problem is exactly what was said above, the game was supposed to evolve, but because of production hasn't done that. I've taken matters into my own hands and made my own version of the game campaigning Arcade games. It has been great and I love the game.

The sad truth to this, it took me writing my own campaign rules to make it enjoyable again. Now if I could just get some new level boxes and tiles, that would be great.

May 7th, 2018, 11:00 am
Denizen

dsdrew924 wrote:
I used to look at my cabinet of minis and go "meh."

So I did something about it. I work hard all day long, so on the train rides in and out of manhattan, on lunch break, I'd take out a pen and marble notebook and I wrote World Of Super Dungeon Explore Craft.

Now, I can't put the game down for more than a week without missing it. I think the problem is exactly what was said above, the game was supposed to evolve, but because of production hasn't done that. I've taken matters into my own hands and made my own version of the game campaigning Arcade games. It has been great and I love the game.

The sad truth to this, it took me writing my own campaign rules to make it enjoyable again. Now if I could just get some new level boxes and tiles, that would be great.

I’m in the same boat as you here. I’ve already finished my first campaign module and have started a second campaign. I just finished the base tile for the Grog & Gruel Inn, where the heroes start a privateering adventure. I’m supposed to be taking a break after cranking out my first module, but I can’t stop writing and creating.

May 7th, 2018, 11:55 am
Denizen

Holy Cross wrote:
I’m in the same boat as you here. I’ve already finished my first campaign module and have started a second campaign. I just finished the base tile for the Grog & Gruel Inn, where the heroes start a privateering adventure. I’m supposed to be taking a break after cranking out my first module, but I can’t stop writing and creating.

I hear that. Can't wait to see what you do with the pirate advenute

May 7th, 2018, 12:58 pm
Denizen

dsdrew924 wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:

I hear that. Can't wait to see what you do with the pirate advenute

Thanks! :)
This one should be a lot of fun.

May 7th, 2018, 3:09 pm
Denizen

Holy Cross wrote:
On the flip side, if you do desire to sell off your collection, IM me. I know it’s very well painted and, while I’d be sad to see you go, I have a good home for several of your models.

Word to that. If you sell off, IM me too and me and Holy Cross can get into a bidding war.

May 7th, 2018, 4:10 pm
Minion

eternaldream wrote:
I think that I have been one of the biggest fans of Super Dungeon since it came out. I've collected everything there is for the game, including multiples of everything. I got hyped for the Legends Kickstarter when it first came out. However, I think with all of the recent events with the kickstarter, I am really starting to lose interest in the game in general.

The resin exclusives were interesting at first, but now I don't really care. I haven't even touched any of my collection in months. It really sucks because I like the game, and want to continue playing it. At this current state though, I'm not sure if I can. I've thought about jumping ship and selling off my collection to start something new, but I know I would regret it later. I just keep telling myself to hold on a little longer.

Part of it was that Legends has been a disappointment. One of the reasons I was getting bored with the game was that the basic format of clearing rooms and fighting bosses was getting a little stale. I was hoping that a Legends would allow me to play a little differently. The pen and paper and freeform nature that Legends has become doesn't interest me anymore. I was very pumped up for the new arcade mode rules, but that's probably it.

Is anyone else feeling this way? Do you have the Super Dungeon Blues as well?

No blues here, just good ol' fun playing :P

May 7th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Denizen

InfinityMax wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:

Word to that. If you sell off, IM me too and me and Holy Cross can get into a bidding war.

Haha! Bring it :D

May 7th, 2018, 4:38 pm
Mini-Boss

Thanks for the offers. I'm not quite at that point yet... I think. I've since moved onto other games. I'm starting to get back into Warhammer with Age of Sigmar. I just wish there were any game stores around here. At least it's scratching my modeling itch. At this point I have definitely spent over $1000 on everything including Kickstarters. I know my wife wouldn't want me to let it go for any less, considering it's all painted.

May 9th, 2018, 1:49 am
Mini-Boss

I have neither played nor thought about SDE much since the arcade beta ended. I'm still hoping for great results when it all arrives, can't wait to try and defeat mordred and ymnaur for real.
But until then, I'm playing KDM, vampire hunters nd rail raiders

May 19th, 2018, 9:05 pm
Bottle Cap

i'm also bored
i have a pretty big collection... The ideas were cool and the minis are awesome but... The gameplay was like an alpha version. Lots of tweaks needed to achieve a fluid, working gameplay...
Then, Legends kickstarter appeared with a promise to fix the rules for arcade (wich i play)... So i jumped in

Today, mai 2018 ... Wow that was a long time ago and what do we have in hand? Nothing but promises and new versions of rules (witout material)
This is simply not acceptable
I will not buy anything from Soda Pop Ever again because they sold us a game they could not deliver.
I don't buy a kickstarter to get my game 10 years later...

Anyway, when wave 1 arrives at my door (if it arrives some day), i'm selling it with the rest of my collection on ebay the same day

May 24th, 2018, 12:57 pm
Mini-Boss

Foxwhisperer wrote:
My interest in SDE ebbs and flows like a tide. At the lowest point I don't think about SDE for months. Then something piques my interest and I kind of wish I could play the game again.

This. Totally this.

But then I have a lot of games, so they all flow in and out of favour. It doesn't mean I love tyhem any less!

May 24th, 2018, 1:23 pm
Denizen

Blackshad, I'm genuinely curious about something, and maybe you can help.

If you have a big collection, it means you liked the game enough to buy a lot of it. What changed? I get frustration with delays (although to be fair, this is about the norm for Kickstarter projects as a whole), but how did not having more of the game dampen your enthusiasm for the parts you already have?

I don't like GW as a company, but I still own a copy of the original Warhammer Quest and think it's awesome. I think GW is sue-happy and not fan-friendly, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun playing the games I already own.

So what happened to make you look at a game you have frequently enjoyed and say 'I'm going to wait until I have more and then sell all of this!'

May 24th, 2018, 2:48 pm
Denizen

@Blackshad - if you're interested in salvaging your collection, I do recommend trying out the new preview rules. I don't even bother with the FK rules for arcade as I never really enjoyed them/agree they were not a good ruleset b/c they required so many tweaks to 'work' (and games should be fun, not work!).

I personally feel the Arcade rules are 'fixed' with 2.0. They're not perfect, but they are fun, and I plan to keep playing Arcade 2.0 with my current collection.

Classic rules I don't think were as 'broken' in FK, but the 2.0 update better aligns it with Arcade and the currently released Arena so more rules are more consistent.

I also personally like Pet Parade being pushed to an optional expansion to add pets/creeps as desired so the game isn't bogged down if you don't enjoy using them, but as usual, they can change the balance of the game and your enjoyment may vary.

However, if you don't want to support ND/SPM games out of principle and want to sell your collection out of spite/no longer have interest /shrug. There are a lot of collections on Ebay, but it sounds like folks are finding buyers so good luck if you decide to go that route.

I would personally try out the new rules b/f deciding to sell if you're going to wait for Wave 1 delivery anyways.

May 24th, 2018, 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next