View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2018, 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 First Narrative Dungeon Completed 
Denizen

Bringing back the return of the AI cards, but a custom printed deck. I need to find a good photo hosting site so I can upload the images of all my cards here so everyone can check them out.

But Here's the nutshell of the first narrative:

Starting area: You meet Ser Sigmund who is going to enter Gloomdower with you. As you enter, He sees young Celeste (bear in mind, this is a Temporal Caverns dungeon, so you went back to a specific moment in time) and he tells you to help the people of the city.

What you need:

All the rattlebones you can muster.
Monsters from pumpkin patch spawn
Monsters from Grabby House spawn
Monsters from Shallow grave spawn

24 markers for citizens

Death Spectre
Grusome George
Undead Lich custom Boss (card to be posted when I find image hosting site)
Balrog Main boss (Starfire, but with different model, you can use starfire, I went balrog look.)

Enemy MMC/Activation

Every turn, the monsters draw an AI card

Options are
Move - fight x30
Move - fight - unique x 10
Move -Fight - Challenge x 10
Move - Epic fight x4

54 card deck. There are no regroups, there are no reinforce or spawn. No regroups because this is a relentless dungeon, it is hard. It is meant to be hard. You probably shouldn't beat it on your first time through, that's okay, its a dungeon to learn, meant for level 3 or higher.

There are set spawns. Rattlebones will always go after Citizens in the town and turn them into undead to reinforce enemy gangs, or turn them into more rattle bones. In this scenario, Rattlebones are immune to Twilight Knights Potion of just being erased.

After you fight through 3 1/2 tiles of enemies, you enter the alley run. Its a timed run with Creeps trying to block your path. If all members make it to the end in X turns, all members roll a green die, on heart/potion draw a tresure card.

Rewards for citizens remaining (this takes place after third mini boss is slain)

18/18 Draw four treasures, keep 2, drop 2
12 -17/18 Draw three treasures, keep 1 drop 2
6 - 11 Draw one treasure
1-5 Draw two loot
0 Draw Nothing as you have failed the secondary objective of the dungeon

Then last tile is the boss fight with some great flavor text and guest appearance by Beatrix!

This post will make more sense when I finish assembling the write up and build the tiles. But this should be sweet. Think The culling of Stratholme as my inspiration, but it takes you through "Glauerdoom Moor, Rise of the True Necromancer prologue."

Can't wait to show you all the finished write up, but any suggestions or feedback from the nutshell preview, please let me know, would love to hear. The only thing I won't sway on is the AI cards, tested and is a fun challenge.

May 3rd, 2018, 2:49 pm
Denizen

Looks cool! I did enjoy that dungeon in WoW :). Some feedback based on the initial post/things to consider.

TL;DR - consider turning the consul activation cards into a custom MMC. Consider creating custom plot cards to trigger the narrative specific dungeon effects.

===============

It looks like this is 5 tiles? I assume at least b/c you have 5 spawn points listed! Or 6 tiles and you mean 2 pumpkin patches?

For Rattlebones, most folks will have 12 from the tile pack. I have 16? I think from FK KS. Don't think Von Drakk Level Box includes any rattlebones. Will this work with only 12 rattlebones if they're potentially spread out across so many tiles?

Bone Pile is super annoying to keep track of. BUT, for this, should we have/use more than 6 bonepiles?

is this Arcade 2.0/FK or custom ruleset? in FK Creeps attack but Arcade 2.0 Pet Parade Creeps do not attack.

Assuming you're sticking /w Arcade 2.0, instead of doing a card deck, would it make more sense to have a custom MMC? Rather than have static Consul commands for each space and moving the boss each turn, maybe have a spot that the Consul repeats that has a dice roll to determine if they do Unique, Challenge, or Epic Fight?

Example:

Start > MMC Move-Fight > MMC Move-Fight (Unique if you roll Darkness on Blue Die) > MMC Move-Fight (Challenge if you roll Darkness on Blue Die) > MMC Move-Fight (Epic Fight if you roll Darkness on Red Die) > Repeat.

This could help space out the swings of Epic fight x4 being every turn.

You could build easy mode into this where if a Heart/Potion is rolled on the MMC, all heroes heal 1 Heart or something like that.

Then you can just 'switch' it to whatever you'd like for the Boss Activations (similar to the Move > Fight > Heal 3/spawn point > Boss Challenge in the Arcade 2.0). I can't think of a good reason to stick with the FK ruleset and I think it'd be easier to print off/use a single MMC than 54 cards :).

To handle the set spawns I was thinking of a series of Plot Cards.

Example:
Plot cards should not be shuffled for this narrative dungeon. Start with Plot Card 1 in play.

Rattle Bones target Citizens as if they had the most Wrath. When Rattle Bones end their activation adjacent to a Citizen, remove the Citizen from play and replace with a model with BonePile from the spawning pool.
Creeps are immune to Lamplight
when the first spawn point is destroyed, this Plot remains in Play, but turn over Plot Card 2

etc.

Plot Card X

blah blah
Turn over the next Plot when the third mini boss is slain

Plot Card Y

Draw treasure based on citizens

May 3rd, 2018, 3:50 pm
Denizen

dsdrew - I'm saying have a circular/repetitive MMC :). So there IS no spot that spawns a mini boss or boss and thus it's not a timer. Take care of when to spawn points, bosses, etc. via the Plot cards.

The plot cards can include the trigger hooks to do xyz (go to next plot card) when the heroes move to the next tile. obviously they don't 'have' to be cards, but I was thinking within the existing Arcade 2.0 framework how one would go about reusing the same mechanics. I trust you know what you're doing since you probably have the most expansive/active custom SDE campaign in existence ;).

The plot cards i thought could be thematic b/c you'd have them at the doorway to the tile and the heroes would flip over the card once they cross the doorway or something rather than going back and forth referring to a PDF or narrative paper. Easier to keep things 'hidden' rather than reading ahead, imo.

Excited to see what more you have cooked up :).

May 3rd, 2018, 4:51 pm
Denizen

Okay, just reread your post:

This map has no spawn points per say. It is set spawn locations with set mobs.

Example Tile 1 is rattlebone citizen fluff story thing, so well just skip that tile

Tile 2 will spawn 6-8 rattlebones, Pumpkin Patch Gangs, and The Lich Mini Boss with them. That's a pretty solid fight right there.

Then they are all dead or someone enters tile 3, then the next group spawns. All these spawns will be written out in the book with images etc. Having the AI deck moves them along and keeps the combat moving. There could be swings sure, but that's the point of it. It's supposed to be unpredictable and harder to deal with than, Okay, in two turns, Epic Fight is coming, in three turns mini boss spawns. etc...

Unfortunately because I don't have the graphics done or uploaded, the full write up isn't available for viewing, when it is done, all of this will make more sense. i was even thinking of doing a play through video to post with it. So everyone can see the run through example of it.

While swings are highly unlikely due to the distribution of cards, they are possible. it is what it is. This is a level 3 dungeon. At level 3, your heroes should have crafted and brought with them at least 1 red dice piece of equipment, some healing items, and maybe a status effect bomb or two.

Level 3-5 dungeons are going to be a wee bit harder than the standard game play. From buffed enemies, and in narrative dungeons, the scenario itself. Where's the fun if it's not a challenge eh?

I'll post a fuller write up as soon as I can, it should help things make more sense.

May 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
dsdrew - I'm saying have a circular/repetitive MMC :). So there IS no spot that spawns a mini boss or boss and thus it's not a timer. Take care of when to spawn points, bosses, etc. via the Plot cards.

The plot cards can include the trigger hooks to do xyz (go to next plot card) when the heroes move to the next tile. obviously they don't 'have' to be cards, but I was thinking within the existing Arcade 2.0 framework how one would go about reusing the same mechanics. I trust you know what you're doing since you probably have the most expansive/active custom SDE campaign in existence ;).

The plot cards i thought could be thematic b/c you'd have them at the doorway to the tile and the heroes would flip over the card once they cross the doorway or something rather than going back and forth referring to a PDF or narrative paper. Easier to keep things 'hidden' rather than reading ahead, imo.

Excited to see what more you have cooked up :).

Let me play around with this stuff and when i can post a full write up merging your ideas with mine, well see how it rolls. I like what your saying, so let me see whats up.

May 3rd, 2018, 5:03 pm
Denizen

So i've decided to make a change, a very ambitious change. I am making one of the tiles, the docks from the story. Which will require water effects, layered tiles, and of course a couple of small boats and one large boat that players can walk through and fight on.

This might be out of my wheel house being my first time making dungeon tiles in general, but hey, should be a good time.

Pics to come as soon as possible. Any tips would be great.

May 11th, 2018, 2:50 pm
Denizen

what do you mean by layered tiles? Like on different elevation? Or like multiple stories?

for multiple story tiles, the stairs can just be secret passages with a specific entrance/exit.

different elevation you can just count the graded elevation as difficult terrain.

Water, as per Fae woods tile, is just difficult terrain. You could treat some of it as Brambles if it's full of kelp/seaweed/filth/swamp (as it is glauerdoom moor). If you go nuts on the tile effects, I'd recommend you create a blessing tile similar to the Goddess, but it heals terrain effects and/or grants Surefoot for one turn to maybe help the heroes traverse the tiles once they slog through it? Think of it as speed boots in WoW battlegrounds.

For the boat, you may want to have rules for pushing people off the boat. You could treat the edges as 'special' chasm or secret passage so if you're pushed off, you suffer a wound and multiple wound monsters/heroes may reappear at the dock at the start of the next turn? You wouldn't want them to respawn at the edge of the boat like in video games b/c that can be cheesed to just keep pushing people off the boat. If you want to go with this mechanic, then maybe everyone on the boat gets a special basic support action Wrestle: STR vs STR PUSH 1

Of course you may want a cannon on the boat that has a special interact action to shoot a cannonball (similar to bombardier turtle ability). I'm thinking about some WoW battlegrounds, that I'm sure you're familiar with, that you could take inspiration for from this. You could even add a mechanic to pick up crystals/tokens from an ammo pile and run it to the cannon to interact to blow up the manor's gates so the heroes can enter.

dsdrew - this is ambitious yes, but the glory....so much glory to be had :).

May 11th, 2018, 4:33 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
dsdrew - this is ambitious yes, but the glory....so much glory to be had :).

FOR ALL THE GLORY!!!!!

Hahaha. I can't wait to finish building this dungeon and post pictures. Im super excited about it. I am definitely going to need to post the playthrough of it as well so everyone can see.

I created basic grid versions so people can use them if they want to test them. But I need to do it in 3d because Im out of my mind, lol

May 11th, 2018, 4:52 pm
Denizen

This is what I did to digitize the existing SDE tiles.

SDE Tiles

In consideration of having a basic version, it *should* play the same regardless if the tiles are flat vs. literally layered on each other so changes in elevation are maybe treated as separate tiles if someone wanted to play on their own.

So this might the fast/easy way to share it and then when you finish your tile, you can maybe take topdown shots and just paste that onto a grid to make a poorman's PDF version they can print and play.

May 11th, 2018, 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]