View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 19th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Anddddd my completionist hit its limit 
Denizen

Soooo apparently this mini boss is real.

Is anyone else not feeling it? Nothing against the company. I just dont see how this fits with the theme. Im disappointed. But my wallet is Relieved.

Whats everyones reaction to this mini boss spider lord?

April 2nd, 2018, 1:32 am
Minion

dsdrew924 wrote:

Is anyone else not feeling it? Nothing against the company. I just dont see how this fits with the theme. Im disappointed. But my wallet is Relieved.

It fits A theme: the theme of April fools. It's defininately a troll-ish sort of model, and in a way it's both fitting and insulting.

I can't decide if I'm going to buy it, tbh. 24.00 is a high price point for a resin model of questionable integrity...

April 2nd, 2018, 1:42 am
Mini-Boss

Isn't John Cadice chibi face?

Lessons of Professor Internet.
* So, you're MAD about something on internet...
* The art of wait.

April 2nd, 2018, 2:23 am
Denizen

=============
Randy, Lrod of Spiders
Store Page for Randy
In case folks missed it, or check this out later, SPM released a new Masterclass resin model (first mini-boss) on April 1, 2018, that is a apparently an actual model/product they are selling preorders as an exclusive during April '18. It has a price tag of $24.99, an increase of $4.99 from the $20 resin small base models like Candy (Feb '18 preorder) and the Tako girls, but is noticeably a bigger model.

Description:
Add this limited edition masterclass resin here to your Super Dungeon!

It may be April Fools Day, but this mini boss is no joke! Third in our masterclass resin miniature series for Super Dungeon Explore is Randy, Lrod of Spiders! This made-to-order offering is available for pre-order throughout the month of April only! Get yours now!

The last galaxy is a place where mighty knights clash with the forces of the void, and a battle for survival rages. But that doesn't mean that the arcades will manage themselves. Randy has been charged with the sacred duty of managing one such arcade. Annoyed at customers who continually vaporize his place of work with high tech weaponry, Randy decided to program himself into his favorite game. But a typo prevented him from being a proper lord, even in a game...

=============
On an objective level, I think doing a model like Randy as a limited edition exclusive makes a lot of sense. It definitely fits SPM's current exclusives policy. There will be people who love the idea, others who love the idea and model, and then those love it enough to buy it. And there are the people who hate the idea, but also will not be compelled to buy it. This isn't designed as a gouge against completionists b/c marketing to/relying on completionists doesn't make a ton of sense from a business perspective in the first place b/c they are the minority and can restrict ideas/products you want to push. As a pre-order it means they won't end up sitting on extra inventory for something that's got a niche audience within an already niche audience. Folks that want to speculate and buy extra models to sell second hand can, as usual, do so at their own risk. I can see this being a fun little 'reward' in miniature communities b/c I don't know how many meta chibi models there are/have been -- most of what I've seen is pretty strict fantasy fare.

At a company level it's fun, shows that they're releasing at least one new product per month (thus far!), and based on how well this performs, they may decide to keep doing 4th wall/meta breaking models every April, which is something to look forward to, even if you have no interest. It's like in league of legends where they have crazy game modes and manatees everywhere every April. You don't have to partake, but if you like that stuff, it's there, and at least folks can talk about it.

I'm glad that it's a mini-boss and not a hero/doesn't have a hero alt profile, b/c then I'd feel more compelled to buy it (I'm currently on the fence). I get why it's $25 b/c it has a larger model compared to the other $20 resin models, but compared to buying any of their other, released products, with shipping you can pick up a discounted tile set or plastic warband from most retailers in store or online so its biggest selling point is going to be its exclusivity.

The mini-boss itself has thematic powers and they released at least the arcade profile so you can playtest it if you make your decisions based on the card mechanics. The treasure is quite strong in Arcade since Spongy can knock the Gang Elite out of range of minions or just out of range of the heroes, but again, all treasure is quite RNG so /shrug. I figure it's situational in Classic and the opportunity cost as usual is giving up a slot for offense, which is what I think most folks would prefer (I definitely do!). I think the Arcade support action to summon a gang is quite powerful, but also reliant on what's available in the spawning pool, but the heroes can technically play around it and summon him at such a time to avoid Unique, which gives more strategic options (if one chooses to play that way).

I'm glad it's not a dungeon boss b/c I think I'd dislike a game centered around a Meta boss unless there was a 'series' like the video game series of skins in league of legends. I feel there are already so many mini-bosses that many of them don't see play (then again, same can be said of heroes). He is a rather unique looking model, though, so I'm thinking whether he would have a place in SDE: Legends (but if you want a Spider type model, there'll be Arachne, NAS spider person, and Nether Elf Spiders already available). Of course, if I were a Classic Consul player, then mini-bosses *are* like my heroes and i'd imagine I'd want access to as many as these. I don't know how many folks are out there playing 5-6 hero games with 2 mini bosses, but I don't see myself doing it b/c I think 1 mini-boss per match is plenty balanced in Arcade unless you swap it with the Arcade Plot.

From a personal standpoint, I think my opinion may greatly change depending on what sort of update we get (or don't get) on April 4 for SDE: L and whether they'll reference Randy b/c I can see him stirring the pot. Assuming SDE: L KS updates stay on track, I should be able to look forward to 2-3 things each month from SPM - the 2 KS updates and maybe 1 new model release.

SPM's SDE Masterclass line needs to work out some kinks in quality, imo, for me to readily agree on the price and needs better expectation setting & communication. When I think about the $$ for Randy, I'm also thinking about $$ I may want to sit on to see if WOTF heroes are released to the store.

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on April 2nd, 2018, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 2nd, 2018, 2:41 am
Denizen

Nephastus wrote:

Neph -- assuming you aren't trolling (I do miss pre-troll Neph, btw), -- in the chibi facebook group, it sounds like Randy is based on their Warehouse manager who is a very nice person.

April 2nd, 2018, 2:42 am
Mini-Boss

No, no trolling... I didn't knew the person inspiring that model.

I keep me busy these days making sturdiest boxes with foam paper insert for my warbands. Good dynamic meditation to touch my inner peace.

* The art of wait.

April 2nd, 2018, 2:58 am
Denizen

Oh, please share what you have/end up with! I know I've seen how some folks have been storing their minis and I've been trying out a few things, but seem to keep changing it every few weeks. Most of my monsters aren't painted so a lot of them just go in baggies in a bin atm ^^;;

April 2nd, 2018, 3:06 am
Bottle Cap

"We have a glitch getting him to show "in stock," but should have that fixed asap."

April 2nd, 2018, 3:59 am
Denizen

GoldenAegis wrote:
"We have a glitch getting him to show "in stock," but should have that fixed asap."

I haven't ordered him, but he's currently 'In Stock' on the store page and you can add him to cart. It looks like they will not say anything on the product page if it's in stock.

It'll only show Availability: Out of Stock if it's not in stock like the Tako girl bundle

April 2nd, 2018, 4:53 am
Ninja Corps

dsdrew924 wrote:

He does fit with the very overarching theme that Super Dungeon Explore is, canonically, an arcade game in the Relic Knights universe. All the heroes in SDE are people playing from the last galaxy. This is just a canonical mini with a player that isn't so much into being an elf girl and would rather be himself. :P

April 2nd, 2018, 7:20 am
Consul

First reaction seeing him on facebook was 100% indifference. Just another april fool. Nice try, I'm getting to old to fall for these.
Next day it turns out it's actually real! Dammit! You reverse-got me!

So expensive monthly limited resin releases are just "the" thing now?
They've never done much of an effort to support EU, but now it seems like they are actively trying to drive us away?!

As for the model itself? Nope nope nope nope! Absolutely hate it. After the awesomeness that was Tusk Raider, this is their follow-up?
OPINIONS INCOMING: The model itself doesn't have any degree of "awesome". It's just a dude. But that's just the "theme"...
The actual model is also lacking I think. The tree trunk, and the out of nowhere giant spiderlegs makes it a mess to look at.

The whole meta is also going too far. Usagi is right that it's been long established that SDE is literally just a video game in the RK seting...
Which in itself is something I think they should be more silent about. I don't want to play somebody else's character, even if they themselves are fictional.
And when I save the universe, it was canonically in-game JUST a game? This frame story devalues the world SO much.
But now we take it a step further and make a real world dude (I don't think Packers are a thing in RK), make him a part of Relic Knights, make him a part of SDE, BUT make him NOT fit the in-game theme and instead refer back to previous layers of reality.

Nope - this character devalues the integrity of the game.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
At a company level it's fun, shows that they're releasing at least one new product per month (thus far!), and based on how well this performs, they may decide to keep doing 4th wall/meta breaking models every April, which is something to look forward to, even if you have no interest. It's like in league of legends where they have crazy game modes and manatees everywhere every April. You don't have to partake, but if you like that stuff, it's there, and at least folks can talk about it.

Except if I WANT to partake it's a $24.99 ticket + shipping and import tax. That's just waaay too much for a joke character.

April 2nd, 2018, 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Denizen

My Issue is this model, as nicely sculpted as it is, is a joke of a model. It's clearly a joke of model, a mini boss in a hammock with a Green Bay Packers hat and random spider legs. Give me a break, I won't insult my player group or the time I put into writing a SDE campaign by throwing in such !soda! character and !soda! concept. To be full honest about it, This is garbage. You have people pining for new stuff. People who have been waiting for something of substance while we wait for SDE:Legends. And this is what you give your fan base? A joke of a character?

I for one, am not impressed, and without having the EU import tax, I still can't spend 24.99 on this. It's a complete joke. How about more Frostybyte characters, how about another Dungeon boss, or a dungeon Mini boss for Frostbyte? What about a clockwork cove dungeon boss or mini boss or hero? Nope, here's a generic dude, being a generic dude with spider legs.

April 2nd, 2018, 11:11 am
Minion

Goblin-King wrote:
First reaction seeing him on facebook was 100% indifference. Just another april fool. Nice try, I'm getting to old to fall for these.
Next day it turns out it's actually real! Dammit! You reverse-got me!

So expensive monthly limited resin releases are just "the" thing now?
They've never done much of an effort to support EU, but now it seems like they are actively trying to drive us away?!

As for the model itself? Nope nope nope nope! Absolutely hate it. After the awesomeness that was Tusk Raider, this is their follow-up?
OPINIONS INCOMING: The model itself doesn't have any degree of "awesome". It's just a dude. But that's just the "theme"...
The actual model is also lacking I think. The tree trunk, and the out of nowhere giant spiderlegs makes it a mess to look at.

The whole meta is also going too far. Usagi is right that it's been long established that SDE is literally just a video game in the RK seting...
Which in itself is something I think they should be more silent about. I don't want to play somebody else's character, even if they themselves are fictional.
And when I save the universe, it was canonically in-game JUST a game? This frame story devalues the world SO much.
But now we take it a step further and make a real world dude (I don't think Packers are a thing in RK), make him a part of Relic Knights, make him a part of SDE, BUT make him NOT fit the in-game theme and instead refer back to previous layers of reality.

Nope - this character devalues the integrity of the game.

sleepy_laughter wrote:

Except if I WANT to partake it's a $24.99 ticket + shipping and import tax. That's just waaay too much for a joke character.

Is it only in the Relic Knights setting? ?? I was under the impression that it was in EVERY setting, like Taokashi and WoTF, etc, since it seems like the crossover minis are basically Avatars of the players. Even though the Lore states that Randy is from Relic Knights, he looks more like a character in the Taokashi or WotF settings.

SDE as a cross- franchise game setting would be even coler because it's almost like the game is like an inter-dimentional gateway between realms, kinda like "Demons Don't Dream" in the Xanth book series, or like Captain N and stuff like that... ^o^

April 2nd, 2018, 11:25 am
Consul

prodigal_dreamer wrote:
Is it only in the Relic Knights setting? ?? I was under the impression that it was in EVERY setting, like Taokashi and WoTF, etc, since it seems like the crossover minis are basically Avatars of the players. Even though the Lore states that Randy is from Relic Knights, he looks more like a character in the Taokashi or WotF settings.

SDE as a cross- franchise game setting would be even coler because it's almost like the game is like an inter-dimentional gateway between realms, kinda like "Demons Don't Dream" in the Xanth book series, or like Captain N and stuff like that... ^o^

I dunno man! :lol:

WotF are referred to as "cosplay". Does that mean the WotF-universe also plays the online rpg SDE? And then they dress up as their in-game characters? And then their interpretations of SDE characters suddenly becomes playable characters in SDE? Da fug? That doesn't even make sense in-universe!

I kinda think that everything except Relic Knights are not to be considered canon (if such a discussion is even worth it with the new inclusion of Randy).
Currently we have crossovers from Relic Knights, Way of the Fighter, Taokashi University, Siege of the Citadel and Kingdom Death (did I miss some?).
I'm not buying that every single setting is playing Super Dungeon Explore.

But what it all boils down to for me, is that unlike Captain N, where the things that happened in the comics and cartoons were real if the viewer stepped through the 4th wall - in SDE it's canonically all just a game. You have to step through the 4th wall twice.
It doesn't matter how many different settings play SDE, because it will all still just be fictional. Ember Mage doesn't have a personality or will or thoughts. She is just some pixels being controlled by some random dude from the RK universe.

This is what the Ember Mage actually looks like

April 2nd, 2018, 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

@sleepy_laughter when I have finished the decoupage with theme of Super Dungeon on the surface of boxes, I going to show the final results, but I can show the inserts early, if you want.

My shelf and my wallet are thankful by my decision to avoid pricey resin models. Goblin-King forgot to mention the Super Dungeon Ninja Ambush crossover, but this supposedly make sense with Wandering Monk Mountains theme or something like Kagejima be a neighbor land of Crystalia.

By the experience to have a bunch of KS exclusive heroes from Arcadia Quest Inferno and Masmorra, I learned which the excessive quantity of options falls to be a waste, because some models never be chosen.

While I consider only plastic retail models as "official" collection and pricey Masterclass resin store-limited as something like "KS exclusive" I don't bother myself with the pokemon hunter reflexes in need of Catch 'Em All.

* The art of wait.

April 2nd, 2018, 1:09 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Nephastus wrote:

Neph -- assuming you aren't trolling (I do miss pre-troll Neph, btw), -- in the chibi facebook group, it sounds like Randy is based on their Warehouse manager who is a very nice person.

Whom they are working to death inventorying all those legends products for backers.

April 2nd, 2018, 1:55 pm
Denizen

Ha! I like that! I'm not going to buy it, obviously, but I like that they make the joke and commit to it.

I'm having a hard time seeing why people would be insulted by Randy. He's obviously only meant to be a gag. Nothing to be upset about. I was kind of hoping for another killer model to follow up the walrus rider, but I appreciate a little humor now and then.

April 2nd, 2018, 4:06 pm
Denizen

@Neph -- I think that makes the most sense -- not considering these SPM webstore exclusive models (like KS exclusives) cannon and with this last model I think that's really easy. And yes, so many extra models they just don't get play! That's what I'm working on with my SDE Arcade solo playthroughs is to play every hero and mini-boss at least once to help inform my future playthroughs. Mini-bosses I think are going to be the toughest b/c they released so many expansions for the hero/mini-boss and I primarily think of many of thems (like Nyan Nyan) as heroes instead of mini-bosses.

I'm glad this thread was created b/c I didn't know about the origins of SDE being an arcade game from RK! At least for me, this doesn't break the immersion for Classic/Arcade b/c it's already a tongue in cheek type of silly dungeon crawler compared to the more serious D&D style dungeon crawler games, which is part of why I enjoy it. It's also why I don't horribly mind the Siege of Citadel minis with their guns.

But I agree that I don't think I would want/get this model for SDE:L unless you specifically want/plan to have a Deadpool/4th wall breaking sort of campaign, which can be fun, but obviously you don't need this model to do that in the first place.

@Growley - their warehouse manager can't inventory any product until it's produced :twisted:

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on April 2nd, 2018, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 2nd, 2018, 4:11 pm
Minion

Goblin-King wrote:
prodigal_dreamer wrote:

I dunno man! :lol:

WotF are referred to as "cosplay". Does that mean the WotF-universe also plays the online rpg SDE? And then they dress up as their in-game characters? And then their interpretations of SDE characters suddenly becomes playable characters in SDE? Da fug? That doesn't even make sense in-universe!

I kinda think that everything except Relic Knights are not to be considered canon (if such a discussion is even worth it with the new inclusion of Randy).
Currently we have crossovers from Relic Knights, Way of the Fighter, Taokashi University, Siege of the Citadel and Kingdom Death (did I miss some?).
I'm not buying that every single setting is playing Super Dungeon Explore.

But what it all boils down to for me, is that unlike Captain N, where the things that happened in the comics and cartoons were real if the viewer stepped through the 4th wall - in SDE it's canonically all just a game. You have to step through the 4th wall twice.
It doesn't matter how many different settings play SDE, because it will all still just be fictional. Ember Mage doesn't have a personality or will or thoughts. She is just some pixels being controlled by some random dude from the RK universe.

This is what the Ember Mage actually looks like

I always assumed it was a "Wreck-it Ralph" sorta thing. Like, they exist within their own realm sorta thing, but you're right, at the end of the day, it's all fiction...

As for "cosplay miniature" I figured it was just a lazy "throwaway" term they used to not really have to put too much thought into the characters and designs and just give us stuff, but the whole concept of the crossover characters was that that was their "Avatar" in game so-to-speak. Because at that point, some of those characters cosplaying as the characters they are is equally as silly, don't you think? :P

April 2nd, 2018, 4:59 pm
Minion

Eh. I find it fun.

Won’t buy it, but it’s fun. I don’t think any of the available sde lore is any shade of interesting so a meta boss is more interesting to me.

But won’t buy it, too much money invested already.

April 2nd, 2018, 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next