View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 20th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 How To Keep The Fans Happy 
Denizen

Thanks for the clarification. I agree re: scalpers.

I think if they re released the most popular resins as plastic there’d definitely be a market for it but I do worry whether there be enough demand to do so. Then would they retire the resin and those go out of print? I would not expect most companies to compete with their own products. Then again if they are webstore exclusive they have a lot of control over the price.

March 25th, 2018, 10:57 pm
Minion

It does make me a little disappointed that the Tusk Raider got released in resin, primarily because he was meant to be a plastic cast and sold retail. Miniature Market had him and other promised wares on pre-order for the longest time including Halls of the Lich King and Hoarfang, which makes me weary of the future of these products.

If I were to see Hoarfang as a resin sculpt, I'd be really bummed. Because unless they were planning to do a rerelease in plastic, that would mean they're dissecting their previouly plastic releases for the sake of staying afloat (key word afloat >: ) I wouldn't want to see a resin Princess Sapphire or Citrine because, to me, that would mean they're probably not going to make expansions, but that's my takeaway/ synopsis.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
The Gloomborn champion piqued my interest b/c I had not read through the Legends material yet (and I expect really no one has), but it didn't have any meat in it like...why would I want to play a Gloomborn champ? What is one? Will there be a model for one? If not, what model may suffice as a suitable proxy?

I mean, it sounds like a Gloomborn Champion is basically just a DnD Revenant, so I think that any hero could be one from an "Undead hero" standpoint. As for official Figures? I'd bet you could use basically anything humanoid from Glaurdoom Moor Sets (Particularly the skeletons and the witches.... Zombies would be just creepy...)

March 26th, 2018, 12:14 am
Denizen

a zombie gloomborn champion whose swordarm keeps falling off in combat might be good comedic relief ;)

March 26th, 2018, 4:41 am
Minion

Goblin-King wrote:
Foxwhisperer wrote:
I have bought the resin miniatures. I'm just the worst? **** me, right?

Not if you bought it because you wanted it! Only if you bought it to speculate in eBay prices.
If you bought 25 to sell on eBay at triple price you deserve to lose your "investment" to a plastic re-release.
This was meant as a stab at scalpers - NOT everybody who bought the models.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear on this point.

I have bought one copy of each resin figure for personal use. I'm definetly not a scalper. 8-)

So, you meant scalpers with that comment. Ok, I misunderstood you. All is well! :)

March 26th, 2018, 9:23 am
Denizen

<Never mind - should have finished reading the thread.>

March 26th, 2018, 3:41 pm
Mini-Boss

Goblin-King wrote:
I also think a big problem was making certain promises, but lacking the skill/will to fulfill them.
From now on we'll make regular production updates! But next week... nothing... It left a bad taste in many mouths - and frankly rightfully so.

I don't believe the "damned if they do damned if they don't-theory". Sure at this point perhaps, but that's because they over many months have painted themselves in a corner regarding goodwill. If they made "Justin"-updates and apoligized and stated any and all facts, it would'nt be too late to turn the ship around.

Oh...! And stopped pouring gazoline on the fire with stuff like limited overpriced resin models... Just sayin' :)

Actually, the resin minis are a great example of "Damned if they do, damned if they don't." I've heard TONS of complaints about how SPM haven't had any regular releases for Super Dungeon, but now that they have new releases (even ones that obviously don't interfere with fulfillment) they're getting a bunch of guff for it.

Personally, I love resin minis. My tusk raider is awesome.

March 26th, 2018, 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

odinsgrandson wrote:
Personally, I love resin minis. My tusk raider is awesome.

Post it! I wants to see! :D

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on March 26th, 2018, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 26th, 2018, 8:42 pm
Mini-Boss

I have such a backlog of minis to post. But I'll get there.

March 26th, 2018, 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

odinsgrandson wrote:

How did you feel about the base and card thing? I've been holding off opening mine because I tried to cancel the order before it got here based on the non-matching base and the card that doesn't match, but if you love yours, I'll probably bust it open and put it together.

March 26th, 2018, 10:19 pm
Denizen

InfinityMax wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

How did you feel about the base and card thing? I've been holding off opening mine because I tried to cancel the order before it got here based on the non-matching base and the card that doesn't match, but if you love yours, I'll probably bust it open and put it together.

My take on this, because I got mine in the mail the other day.

The card doesn't bother me and it does. The square corners don't matter to me as I am putting all heroes in protectors. I also hobby enough that I have to cut it down to make it fit a true fit sleeve, I will do so.

However, what does bother me about the card is the damned quality. I feel like they printed it out of a printer at their desk with staples cardstock. If im paying 40 dollars + shipping for a single mini, that card better be up to snuff with every other release. Because that's the cheapest part of that model I'm sure.

In regards to the base, I am on the fence. I was initially upset, but now that I see the model, I am going to custom base him anyway. And i partially feel that may be the design of the "Master Class" minis. Master class in itself is a term that The best of The best are going to want to collect and paint super fine detail. People like that are probably going to base the heck out of a model they put that much time and care into. So Im okay with it now. I also have an extra Rex base or two that I can use if I really want to. But I think most hobbyists that these resin models are really designed for with them in mind, are going to to up the ante on the bases anyway.

BUT, on the other hand, I see the debate and I can agree with and do support that "If you show it with a textured base, where is my textured base?" That's like, Hey look at this car it's red. Then you get it and its blue. Leaves you like WHHHHAAAAAATTTT?

Anyway, thats my take on it for as wrong or right as my opinion is.

March 27th, 2018, 1:12 pm
Denizen

The latest ad (3/22/18) for the tusk raider on the SDE FB page now shows a (digital) plain base.

Tusk Raider Facebook post

March 27th, 2018, 3:37 pm
Consul

dsdrew924 wrote:
In regards to the base, I am on the fence. I was initially upset, but now that I see the model, I am going to custom base him anyway. And i partially feel that may be the design of the "Master Class" minis. Master class in itself is a term that The best of The best are going to want to collect and paint super fine detail. People like that are probably going to base the heck out of a model they put that much time and care into. So Im okay with it now. I also have an extra Rex base or two that I can use if I really want to. But I think most hobbyists that these resin models are really designed for with them in mind, are going to to up the ante on the bases anyway.

The thing is... in all regards this is JUST any random old model. Note the store page doesn't even refer to it as "Master Class" anywhere either.
Personally I think your assessment that this a product for the the "best of the best" is wrong. This is core. No offense :)

If anything, Mother Noctua should be labelled "Masterclass" because it's handsculpted :P

dsdrew924 wrote:
BUT, on the other hand, I see the debate and I can agree with and do support that "If you show it with a textured base, where is my textured base?" That's like, Hey look at this car it's red. Then you get it and its blue. Leaves you like WHHHHAAAAAATTTT?

I think what it boils down to is SDE miniatures use "textured dungeon bases" and it's what is shown on the store image.
SDE cards have rounded corners.

In my opinion these are things that are plain and simply inexcusably wrong. You can accept the reality that these flaws exist, but they ARE flaws.

March 27th, 2018, 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Goblin-King wrote:
dsdrew924 wrote:

The thing is... in all regards this is JUST any random old model. Note the store page doesn't even refer to it as "Master Class" anywhere either.
Personally I think your assessment that this a product for the the "best of the best" is wrong. This is core. No offense :)

If anything, Mother Noctua should be labelled "Masterclass" because it's handsculpted :P

dsdrew924 wrote:

I think what it boils down to is SDE miniatures use "textured dungeon bases" and it's what is shown on the store image.
SDE cards have rounded corners.

In my opinion these are things that are plain and simply inexcusably wrong. You can accept the reality that these flaws exist, but they ARE flaws.

I agree with you 100% Im just accepting that they arent going to do anything about it and trying to smile through the face slaps.

March 27th, 2018, 7:13 pm
Denizen

Yeah, I'm still holding out to see if they ever respond and let me return the damned thing. I haven't even opened the box it shipped in, so all I have to do is slap on a return label.

March 27th, 2018, 8:25 pm
Denizen

InfinityMax wrote:
Yeah, I'm still holding out to see if they ever respond and let me return the damned thing. I haven't even opened the box it shipped in, so all I have to do is slap on a return label.

If you can’t return it, I’ll buy it from you when I arrive in Texas (shipping and all) this July. I should be in Ft Worth around the 27th.

March 27th, 2018, 10:13 pm
Mini-Boss

InfinityMax wrote:
odinsgrandson wrote:

I sleeved the card, and didn't see any issue with it. Maybe the card stock is different, but I haven't noticed.

I'm also making an icy base by filling in a Reaper base with 'realistic water' and sanding down the top of it- so the base isn't really an issue for me.

The base is nice- as far as plain bases go. It reminds me of the bases I get with Scale 75 chibis.

Full disclosure- I have a couple extra SDE dungeon bases and NAS bases left over from conversions, so I wouldn't have a problem if I wanted to insist on using an SDE dungeon base.

Oh- and the resin cast is super nice. This again reminds me of Scale 75's quality (and I suppose we're approaching the price there as well).

March 28th, 2018, 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

I've been riding the fence on this thing like crazy. I hate that the card is wrong, and I hate that the base is wrong, but man I really want this model.

SPM did get back to me today with a return address label, so I could return this now. Only now I'm not 100% sure I want to, because my indecision is mixing with the fact that the damned thing is in my office right now. Hidden in a cardboard box, sure, but still right there.

Maybe I'll chop my unpainted Rex off his base and use that.

March 28th, 2018, 10:58 pm
Denizen

50mm base? can try printing you one if If I can find a match

March 29th, 2018, 12:00 am
Mini-Boss

growlley wrote:
50mm base? can try printing you one if If I can find a match

Large SDE bases are 48mm, 50 is just the closest standard base size.

March 29th, 2018, 12:07 am
Denizen

Growlley, I sure wouldn't complain about it if you can make me a Super Dungeon base. I opened the big bruiser last night and holy crap, that is a cool mini. I'm still salty about the base and the card, but the mini itself is ridiculously cool. If I can put him on a Super Dungeon base he'll be perfect.

The resin holds the details beautifully. You can definitely see the difference between that and regular plastic. I'm actually pretty glad I bought him, flaws and all, but I do hope SPM doesn't keep sending flat bases.

But then, just to negate the complaint I just made, I'm planning on picking up a lot of other chibi minis to use with Legends, like Yokai Quest and maybe some of the Impact chibis. Maybe even Arcadia Quest. And those are not going to come on SDE bases. I may have to find a source for a lot of Super Dungeon bases. Impact's stonework bases are not textured deeply enough.

March 29th, 2018, 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next