View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 20th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Legends 
Denizen

I found the combat to run pretty smoothly. As far as difficulty, no tile on the game was as difficult as the first tile in Road to Crystalia. The most cuddly thing I found was scaling difficulty. Katie’s party quickly got too powerful for the encounters I had drawn up. A little quick thinking (losing D4 loot/potions) helped reel her in.

During the first scenario I did have to hold back by not stacking all my attacks on one character.

As far as the smaller encounter maps, I have a friend working his photoshop skills to make pdf tiles in the SDE style for each encounter. I’ll push those out to you all when I get them.

March 12th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Denizen

A quick update on my campaign. I'm about 60% done with Chapter 2, which puts me at about 32% done with the whole module. I'm still looking for test players if you'd like a copy. I'll hopefully be test playing chapter 2 next weekend and posting the battle report here.

The next battle report should be a bit prettier too, since I have some new dungeon tiles to work with, thanks to Glen McClune on Chibi Gamers FB page.

Since my updates wouldn't be complete without pictures, here ya go:

Ark, Paladin of light now has a complete concept sketch. I'll have the model, along with rights to reproduce it, within a few weeks.

Sample encounter from Chapter 2 module.

Here's a combat encounter from chapter 1, with a prettier tile.

and a combat non-encounter...

March 20th, 2018, 4:47 am
Denizen

Chapter 2 draft is complete. IM me or post if you'd like a copy. I can use help from all the playtesters I can get. Here are a couple of sample pics. I plan to post a battle report with more great pics (with prettier tiles this time) tomorrow.

Narrative script and a combat encounter map. I'm using 16-bit tiles for the over-world.

Glen McClune's tiles are great for the closer encounters.

March 25th, 2018, 6:57 am
Denizen

Since I haven't really done P&P RPG's before, is it normal to just use numbers for everything? I'm thinking of another board game I've played, Swords and Sorceries, and they used specific icons for start, monsters (or potential monsters) treasure chests, etc.

I was thinking if SPM released digital assets for SDE: L, it'd help (at least someone like me) to be able to make/mark maps easier to read and set up. Like a Treasure chest icon or something. I figured we had ASCII games back in the day, even a standard key like T for Trap and C for chest might be easier than looking up each number?

March 25th, 2018, 4:27 pm
Denizen

I'm not sure as this is my first time writing a full module. I've only ever dabbled in full P&P RPGs.

When I did homebrew stuff for Heroquest I'd use their icons. For me, working a full time career and jamming this out, numbers are just easier. I like your idea for standardizing icons for certain things. When I start Chapter 3 next week I'll try using letters instead when it makes sense. :D

If this becomes an official publication, or gains enough popularity, I'd be inclined to go back and pretty everything up.

March 25th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Denizen

Holy Cross, I am impressed with your creativity. This looks wicked fun to play.

March 26th, 2018, 3:45 pm
Denizen

Holy, what program are you using for the tiles on your tablet there? does it allow custom creation using set tools? or is it stock tiles?

Thanks would love to know.

March 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm
Denizen

dsdrew924 wrote:
Holy, what program are you using for the tiles on your tablet there? does it allow custom creation using set tools? or is it stock tiles?
Thanks would love to know.

RPG maker MV for outdoors. PRINT SCREEN-PASTE into good ol' Microsoft Paint. Glenn McClune on Chibi Gamers donated the tiles for the indoors to me. I cropped them down then used roll20 to build them.

InfinityMax wrote:
Holy Cross, I am impressed with your creativity. This looks wicked fun to play.

Thanks Max! I'm typing up a battle report with pretty pictures as we speak. It'll be up in a few mins.

March 26th, 2018, 5:16 pm
Denizen

Good morning all. I promised a battle report on Legends and here it is. My wife played through 4 of the 7 encounters in Chapter 2 of my campaign module. 1 noncombat encounter, 3 combat encounters. Before I launch into the pics, here are my observations:

Regarding Legends itself (as it currently exists)

-It's a great platform with an easy to learn, but effective set of rules.

-It serves as a good platform to 'Build your own adventure' whether you want that to be a mostly linear progression like Final Fantasy Tactics, or a fully fleshed out world to DM.

-'Arcade' style play could be easily achieved with a little player engineering, though I feel having a live DM is the preferred method.

-If you don't have the time/creativity to create your own campaign, you will be relying on SPM or the community to publish materials for play. I'll be passing my drafts out freely for the time being. If it's picked up for Under Licence Agreement (ULA) that may change.

Regarding my campaign

-Setup and teardown are super fast. This helps with getting my wife to play as the longer setups/tear-downs of SDE/SDA were always a deterrent to playing.

-Moving from encounter to encounter keeps the game interesting. My wife would complain about playing 4 hours of regular Super Dungeon Explore/Arcade. She loved the 4 hours spent playing this, saying that the time really flew.

-The prettier tiles make all the difference. The wet-erase mat offers far less immersion and while my wife enjoyed that playthrough, she loved the digital tiles far more.

-The first encounter had great difficulty balance. The second was a bit easy, but a difficulty tweak fixed that quickly. The third was similar until the party encountered the 'Wisp Hound' (Mist hound model, but I'm writing alternate profiles since we don't have a bestiary yet) then the encounter got rough. The good news is the players don't see behind the DM screen, meaning you can adjust difficulty on the fly.

I think that covers the important wavetops. Overall I'm very excited to write this campaign to completion, then go on to write side quests and follow-on/mini campaigns. Now for the highlights:

The initial startup. My laptop functions as a great DM screen, while the 27" monitor affords a substantial digital tile-space.

An encounter in Fae Wood squaring off against vicious mushroom folks and pig. The forest is not friendly.

The heroes encounter trolls along the Mistmourn Coast. Larger, tougher and more vicious than the forest dwellers.

The cold stony lobby of an old Order of Light chapel, lost to the Glauerdoom Moors and set ablaze with cold green spirit flame.

The heroes press on to the inner sanctuary.

The chapel is infested with evil monsters.... and Heroquest furniture.

A treasure chest! But it's guarded by ghost flames... :o

The chest yields an old iron key, that allows access to the the study, and old records previously lost to the Order of Light. What will Ser Ark find in these old tomes and scrolls?

March 26th, 2018, 5:35 pm
Denizen

very cool! thanks for the report!

How are you handling advancement? Level up each Chapter completed?

Also how about loot/equipment/crafting? I'm not a big fan of what was been provided with the beta, so wondering if the heroes are more reliant on their stats + potions compared to Classic/Arcade where you really need loot/treasure to succeed?

Also the hero quest furniture holds up really well :).

Going digital for the tilesets I feel is the right way to go when building your own adventures. Lets you do difficult terrain and you don't necessary need furniture if you have the 'trees' on the tiles already a la dungeon tiles.

I was thinking about how hard it'd be to scan in images of the current tiles and turn them into digital assets.

How hard was the scaling to get it 'right' for your monitor? I figure there is maybe some trial and error or math involved.

March 26th, 2018, 6:49 pm
Denizen

Advancement is, as you said, 1 level up per chapter.

Loot is sparse but meaningful. I eyeball it based on how well the heroes are doing. My wife’s Pirate Character ‘Kat’ searched the fallen ogre chieftain and found a ceremonial dagger. (Allows a single melee Attack for 1B in addition to her regular action. It helps with squishy enemies). Loot in my module requires on the spot thinking right now. I’ll probably write in fixed drops if thisgets published.

Map scale is fairly easy. The rpg makers tiles are all a bit small, but I use an image viewer that zooms. I’m able to adjust if just right without any noticeable quality loss. :)

March 26th, 2018, 7:01 pm
Denizen

You're doing 8 chapters, right? So they'd be max level at the end of Chapter 6 and then get to use those stat lines for Chapter 7 & 8. I was thinking 6 chapters would be a good fit, but then the heroes may not advance unless you had them skip levels or start at level 1, but that's less fun. Or have a training montage, haha.

I also had the idea of having the Heroes aided by a high/max level NPC that eventually falls during the campaign, which could trigger their own 'ascension' maybe something above the currently described 'max level' and potentially have that occur during the last chapter and have it dovetail into an immediate bossfight/endgame situation. Too many options.

I'm a bit torn b/c your tile sets are so bright and vibrant, but I really want to retain the look and feel like SDE tiles. So I'm thinking about whether it's better to scan them into digital assets (and my rule is that it has to be easy enough to use in Paint) or go the other direction and use blackout cutouts to reduce the portion of the existing SDE tiles to constrain where the heroes can go/see. Not sure which would be more work b/c Digital would be infinitely more reusable, but I'd also prefer to avoid bringing a computer/screen to a board game :). I'd probably go full digital if I could ensure it'd be a worthy investment, but I'm still at the very early stages of brainstorming themes for plausible campaigns.

I also like how you used a lot of furniture b/c in my head, everything would normally be a battlefield to navigate rather than rooms to explore. I had to get it in my head that chests can contain plot items instead of just loot, too, haha.

March 26th, 2018, 8:40 pm
Denizen

So the plan is 5 chapters. When it’s complete I could probably add a couple of optional side dungeons to account for the extra level ups.

The Paladin in my campaign is a high level NPC. I have similar ideas, but not quite the same as yours.

I did use some techniques to blackout tiles as you can see from the pic. It definitely added to the ‘Explore’ aspect of the game :)

March 26th, 2018, 9:05 pm
Denizen

Thanks holy, I appreciate it.

However, looking at the price point I may just build my own 3d tiles lol. Because I am a crazy person who sets their goals too high lol

March 27th, 2018, 1:05 pm
Denizen

dsdrew924 wrote:

However, looking at the price point I may just build my own 3d tiles lol. Because I am a crazy person who sets their goals too high lol

I’d love to see pics of the 3D tiles. Would you like copies of my completed modules so far?

March 27th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Denizen

Holy Cross wrote:
dsdrew924 wrote:

I’d love to see pics of the 3D tiles. Would you like copies of my completed modules so far?

Sure, send em to BigAndyD924@gmail.com

March 27th, 2018, 2:49 pm
Denizen

dsdrew924 wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:
dsdrew924 wrote:

Sure, send em to BigAndyD924@gmail.com

Sent. It’s in 3 emails. Use the 2nd revision for chapter 2. I tweaked some combat encounters to toughen them up after playtesting. I can send the digital tiles too if you’d like.

March 27th, 2018, 4:22 pm
Denizen

I'm in the middle of my second read-through of the SDE:L beta materials (third for some of the handbooks) and the more I read certain sections, the more I'm happy/excited with how they handled SDE:L in terms of creating a toolkit for light roleplaying and the great flexibility built into the framework. I was originally upset about the heroes being reduced to so few dice and everything like movement and action points stripped down, but I agree with the necessity to keep the game flowing/momentum, b/c it 'fixes' one of the issues you can have during Classic/Arcade where you can tune out b/c there is so many attacks/dice that need to happen b/f you can do anything, especially in 4 hero+ games where you only activate every other turn!

I am also sad that it is not the originally advertised SDE:L, since constructing an SDE:L adventure is a lot more work compared to just playing Classic/Arcade, level up, and then modify the next game until the raid encounter. I think what dsdrew has been homebrewing is also what I imagined when I backed SDE:L and knowing that SPM is NOT explicitly working on this product, I'd be more open to investing my own time to homebrew my own version to tide me over until SDE:L is released. I don't think I have the chops to go as deep as he has so I'll be brainstorming what I come up with in the meantime and see if I actually implement something. Not gonna lie, a bit jelly that Holy Cross's wife is there to help him playtest and enjoy the time spent together :).

That being said, given how much I have go between different manuals, and the quality of the beta materials, I don't think I can use it as is (even the existing adventures) to playtest with my group at this time. I plan to live vicariously through Holy Cross's campaign and provide my thoughts/feedback on the current beta system until we get preview rules/updates from SPM.

April 2nd, 2018, 4:37 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:

That being said, given how much I have go between different manuals, and the quality of the beta materials, I don't think I can use it as is (even the existing adventures) to playtest with my group at this time. I plan to live vicariously through Holy Cross's campaign and provide my thoughts/feedback on the current beta system until we get preview rules/updates from SPM.

I try to alleviate having to go between manuals on my modules by putting the monster stats and stat test parameters on the same page as the encounter. Take a look at the chapters I emailed you and let let me know what you think :D

April 2nd, 2018, 5:31 pm
Bottle Cap

This is an outright beautiful setup Holy Cross, between the digital tiles, the brightly adorned minis, and the finest furniture in all the realm. :D

I'm a little sad that a coop/arcade legends seems more like a homebrew or secondary way of playing Legends. My standard gaming group size is 2, and coop is our favorite way to play boardgames.

April 6th, 2018, 8:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next