View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2018, 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Legends 
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
I think it's interesting that Meow has more ARM than Kat or Stawomir (sp?)

Yeah, that's how Katie is rolling on this one.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Have you been keeping track how many hero/consul activations each encounter requires? That can largely dictate movement. In Classic/Arcade 2.0, with the timer, you generally need to move AND deal wounds to stay on track /w MMC. I'm wondering if there is more/less tactical play with SDE:L.

I haven't been keeping track of number of activations. Each encounter tends to resolve fairly quickly though. As far as been more/less tactical, it depends on the encounter. With less actions available to the heroes, target priority seems to be pretty important.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Like, are the heroes forced to hole up at a choke point and use ranged attacks at monsters to pick them off at range?

Not from what I've noticed so far. I'll keep an eye out for that next play test.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
I know you have the Ark NPC to help 'even up' the playing field/make sure the heroes aren't immediately blown up, but how often has Ark needed to 'step in' and raise knocked out heroes/heal them?

Every encounter he used his [once per encounter] raise ability. He heals fairly frequently, whenever it doesn't make sense for him to knock out a monster instead,

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Would combat play out the same w/o the benefit of a NPC?

Definitely not. I built the encounters to force the heroes to lean on Ark as an NPC just a bit. The benefits to this are twofold. 1- It builds a sense of familiarity between him and the player characters. The players 'trust' and 'like' Ark's character because he pulls them through the scrapes. 2- If I want to raise tension in an encounter, I take Ark away. Now the heroes feel just a bit more bare without being able to rely on him. There are just a handful of encounters where I do this.

April 16th, 2018, 10:15 pm
Denizen

Chapter 5 of my campaign draft is done. This closes the main narrative story arc and leaves only the prologue chapter. The prologue will be a multilevel dungeon that allows the heroes to really flex their XS rank, while tying off the loose story ends.

Once again if you'd like copies IM me or comment below!

April 18th, 2018, 2:39 am
Bottle Cap

@holy cross: first of all, thanks for the great effort! i downloaded all your chapters and can´t wait to start your campaign! just one question: did you use the (plain text) loot cards from legends preview or from SDE Version 1/FK?

April 19th, 2018, 2:31 pm
Denizen

janzie7 wrote:
@holy cross: first of all, thanks for the great effort! i downloaded all your chapters and can´t wait to start your campaign! just one question: did you use the (plain text) loot cards from legends preview or from SDE Version 1/FK?

Thanks for letting me know! Your enthusiasm to play this feeds my enthusiasm to finish Chapter 6, then go back and make the modules better! :mrgreen:

I started out using the plain text stuff, but quickly found it was easier to improvise loot and item drops. If you look over the character sheets from my last play through, Oracle’s Ring, Adventurers Bracelet, Tribal Dagger and ‘Horn’ Helmet (my wife decided it was Horn-singular, one awkward horn protruding from the center of the helmet), were all invented by me on the spot when it made sense.

When I make a second pass to refine the modules I’ll add preset loot. For now I’d recommend having some preselected loot from the Legends deck, or you can make it up on the spot like I did.

Also, feel free to IM me an email address if you’d like the digital tiles for your encounters.

April 19th, 2018, 4:10 pm
Denizen

I got a game of SD: Legends in today, this time with 3 hero players. It painted SD:L in a whole new light for me. A very positive light I'm happy to say.

First my observations of SD:Legends when played in a group (as opposed to the me vs my wife playtests)
-The group dynamic gets real. Internal conflict was a thing, and it was fun.
-Despite all conflicts, the heroes banded together whenever they were in a tight spot.
-The Dark Consul player will make or break the group. Your DC player should be a critical thinker who wants to make the experience challenging but fun. My advice is make nothing impossible, just challenge the heroes to 'convince you' on how they wish to so something and have them make the relevant stat-check if necessary.
-Legends is a far better entry point for newer players, provided you have a savvy Consul player.

The heroes enter the Outskirts Tavern. Intense table-talk ensues.

Undead assailants arrive at the establishment...

The heroes fight through the catacombs.

The party encounters the Riftling Spirit 'Ziggi'

Regaining ground lost earlier.

April 22nd, 2018, 6:50 am
Minion

Very nice! I was wondering why your wife had extra arms/body when I first saw the pics b/f reading the text :).

yay tusk raider and link and new painted models!

I was thinking the same thing, that Legends (if/when it's fleshed out) would be a good intro to SDE Classic/Arcade since the 1 action/activation lets Everyone go every turn and reduces the whole how what should I do of the 5 things I can do multiplied by the 5 things you can do based on the 2 dice rolls we need to not fail.

The one thing I feel is a barrier, though, is using custom tiles since I think what you're doing is a cut above a group just getting into SDE:L. A lot depends on what SDE:L ends up delivering an/or what they support. If they had a big $30 custom tile pack for SDE:L that was really versatile, it'd be something I"d consider more relevant than the current tile packs (since creeps now have narrow use with Pet Parade and Tiles, although cool, are not necessary given there is a lot of reconfiguration options).

Probably just me, but I 'am' a me to consider :)

April 22nd, 2018, 7:04 am
Minion

Hello everyone! I am playtesting Holy Cross’ campaign for Legends. I am the Consul and the hubby is playing all of the heroes for this playtest. We have:

Ri’Nandi the Mistmourn Shaman. Rather than shapeshifting to animal form, the hubby decided he will “hulk out” into a larger troll form.

Lady Vengeance the Nighty Knight

and Xiao-Xiao the Ninja.

Spoilers for the campaign will follow:

Encounter 0 - “Road to Crystalia Castle” We got confused why there appeared to be rooms with doors in a forest setting, for a moment we thought we got the maps wrong! We also weren’t sure whether we started the game with potions or not… Anyway, the encounter did not go to plan with the kobolds KOing the party in a couple of turns. I was rolling crazily good and the combination of Shield Wall and Mob proved too much for the heroes. So, we failed before we even got to start playtesting! I decided that the party had held off the kobolds long enough for a rescue party to arrive and then the party got carried off on stretchers along with Ser Charles. I thought “Road to Crystalia Castle” was supposed to be a way to ease players into the game, what a shock that was!

Encounter A – Because the party failed the previous encounter (they technically didn’t save Ser Charles and they didn’t protect the lockbox) I decided that the Order of Light would reward them with just a potion instead of loot and heal them up with their Clerics. The party was uninterested in asking the Head of the Guard any questions (possibly because their pride was injured and they just wanted to go).

Encounter B – The hubby liked how the drunk NPC gave out random info – He said it reminded him of a Final Fantasy NPC.

Encounter C – The party killed an Ashen Bones before Lady Vengeance succumbed to the Ashen Knights’ blades. They killed a couple more Ashen Bones as Xiao-Xiao fumbled with the lock to the back room and the newly healed Lady Vengeance failed to smash the door down, twice! Finally, Xiao-Xiao picked the lock and the party escaped down into the cellar. The hubby enjoyed this encounter much more than the others (finally, a decent fight!). We wondered whether jumping over the tables and bar should count as difficult terrain.

Encounter D – The heroes got trapped in the hallway by the encroaching undead. Lady Vengeance lopped off the head of an Ashen Mage with a critical hit and Ri’Nandi shifted to tank with higher ARM. The heroes stood on the Bone Pile tokens to prevent models from being raised (works in Arcade mode, right?). Lady Vengeance took a wound using Sacrifice and Ri’Nandi took a wound to shapeshift WILL in order to take out the final Ashen Mage. The hubby really enjoyed this encounter too. We wondered if the Ashen Mages would use a basic WILL attack if they can’t Raise? (We presumed so).

Encounter E – Ri’Nandi shifted to increase his STR and force the door. The hubby was not feeling it for this encounter but he admits it may be due to personal bias: Ziggi reminded him of another character that he hates. He thought that since the first room only had a door in it, there wasn’t much point in using a map.

Encounter F – Ri’Nandi shifted for ARM and tried to tank but the undead fell as quickly as they were raised again. The druid was ultimately overwhelmed by the multitude of attacks. Xiao-Xiao was finally able to turn the tides with a Super Shuriken attack, killing the Ashen Mage resurrector even though he was protected by allies. Then she was knocked out as well, leaving Lady Vengeance to face the horde alone. Lady V killed an Ashen Bones, gaining a heart which she used to wake up Xiao-Xiao, who then used a potion to return to full health. Then Lady V fell as well and for the rest of the battle Xiao-Xiao played “keep-away” while the undead chased her. Both Lady Vengeance and Ri’Nandi were still unconscious when the encounter ended. Without any potions remaining or healing abilities in the party, we were unsure how to revive them at this point. In the end, I decided that they awoke with 1 heart remaining each. Hubby complained that his heroes died way too easily in this encounter, but as the last fight in the chapter, I don’t think it was too bad. They would do better if they had a healer, if they targeted the weaker enemies first and if they stopped using their self-sacrifice abilities to hurt themselves. I may have to tone down these encounters to suit this particular band of heroes. Hubby thinks that the ranged characters have too much of an advantage as they can keep away from the enemies while the melee characters get dogpiled. For beating this encounter, I randomised some loot and the heroes gained Steel Gauntlets (+1B ARM) which the Nighty Knight equipped.

Encounter G - Hubby was surprised (and relieved) as he was expecting a mini-boss to end the encounter. He was happy that his prediction (Aha! His twin brother did it!) was on the mark. He was satisfied with this encounter.

I’ve probably made a ton of mistakes but we’ll play the next chapter in a few weeks, so I have some time to fix my misunderstandings before then!

Facebook
Twitter

April 22nd, 2018, 11:15 am
Denizen

@Aella13
Hey it's great to see another perspective on the campaign. Thanks for posting this. Here are a few things as they relate to your playtest and the campaign in general.

-Road to Crystalia will be removed from the final campaign. It was a good-enough starting point, but I have my own idea for an intro to this story. Encounter A will be removed in favor of a smoother transition to the tavern.

-Encounter B, played way, way better with a group of 3 players than it did with just my wife controlling all the heroes. For one person it seems like they're just trying to scour through all the information. With three players the group dynamic kicked in and brought this to life. (Imagine a sloppy drunk Tabbybrook Water Mage harassing the moody swordsman after collaborating heatedly with the party's ranger.)

-Encounter C, I had the heroes take DEX checks if they wanted to jump a table or bar counter.

-Encounter D, the Mages definitely would make magic attacks if unable to raise bones.

-Encounter E, same finding as encounter B. The group dynamic brought it to life. One player decided his character didn't like Ziggi so he kept provoking her. The boozy Tabbybrook tried schmoozing up to Ziggi, while collaborating with the ranger to try and get more information out of her. (With just my wife it was one mind trying to rack through all the possibilities.

I'll admit the first room may be a bit arbitrary, but it kept the party immersed and guessing.

Encounter F- I saw early on that the heroes were struggling with the Ashen Knights (rolling 3 stars or greater, this early in the campaign, was a struggle). I corrected this by making sure they got a couple of loot items prior to setting foot in this encounter. The party also made the judgment call to wipe out the weaker enemies first to minimize the number of incoming attacks.

Overall- I didn't see any mistakes, but I also believe Legends is driven by the Consul player. If you can think on your feet, and the party is engaged, you're succeeding. Social/non-combat encounters are far easier with a group because they'll do half the work for you. Great report! I'm looking forward to the next one! (also the remaining tiles are all bright and colorful. No more black and white grids)

April 22nd, 2018, 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4