View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Legends 
Bottle Cap

Hey all; you can find the module here.

I wanted this campaign to play like the old video games I used to love playing when I was a kid. That means branching paths, limited dialogue trees, more sarcasm than you can shake a stick at and arbitrary obstructions to progress until story conditions are met ('broken bridge' syndrome).

In terms of mechanics I wanted this module to play like those old video games, so in future chapters as the world gets more and more glitchy there will be auto-scrolling levels, falling rocks, mine cart chases... maybe we'll even lock up the console!

I'd love to know how I did in this endeavour.

I wrote more content than the party would need to allow for inventive problem solving. For example, the encounter where the heroes have to get over the wall, they can either sweet-talk the guard into thinking they're here to fix the john, kick in the door, use an item to break the door, pick the lock, climb over the wall or sneak into the outpost via the sewer. There's a battle encounter and a title the heroes could have earned if they went via the sewer but they chose a different path.

Also, because it's a video game, it's ok to lean in to heroes with stupid names and tragic cliched backstories. The NPCs are only partially aware that it's a game so they know what a player character is but they don't know why they meet so many named Sephiroth or Illidan. I'd hoped my party would take more of an interest in the history of Ser Stabby and his adventures but it's ok; I'll be bashing them over the head with it in coming chapters. =)

August 6th, 2018, 3:05 am
Ninja Corps

Just checking in. No posts recently, GenCon break, or something else happenin?

August 12th, 2018, 4:26 am
Denizen

@Meankeb - this thread is for playtesting the SDL beta. There's another thread about the state of the SDL KS. ND has stopped KS updates until they have a production update. Outside of the KS, ND folks have said that SDL is on hold until they fulfill their other outstanding KS. Expectation is that no progress has been made (production wise) since last October.

August 12th, 2018, 4:10 pm
Ninja Corps

That's what I meant :) I left for vacation on Aug 3rd and saw that there hadn't been any playtest updates since the 5th, and no forum activity for the past couple of days. Just wonderin' where everybody was at. -Cheers.

August 12th, 2018, 5:07 pm
Denizen

@Meankeb - a lot of forum folks hang out in the crystalia castle town discord (not all, but a good number). It's also less punishing to check on mobile :). if you PM Holy Cross or me I think we can get you an invite if you're interested.

The one other news is that Future House Publishing (FHP) will do a KS for SDE novels and plan to have minis sculpted by SPM included as pledge rewards. no date on when KS will start or who will be producing them, but they have the first sculpt on their facebook news site.

August 13th, 2018, 3:06 pm
Mini-Boss

I really like the "blaze" mini i wonder if there will be unique rules for the minis that will be part of that kick starter if not she will be my new ember mage. I am excited about the book series though. I am a fan of the little bits and pieces of lore we have gotten so far. Having full fledged books sounds great.

August 16th, 2018, 6:32 am
Bottle Cap

Hey all, this is a great thread!

I have a quick question, if I wanted to play test SDL are the most updated rules the ones in these two updates?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... ts/2052663
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/so ... ts/1943649

Just trying to make sure I'm looking at the latest stuff, thanks!

August 18th, 2018, 2:49 am
Denizen

That's the bulk of it. Basically read 1. How to Play, skim 2. Hero Handbook for hero class/jobs, and read 3. Consul's Grimoire (for the Consul). There are 2 Consul's Grimoire and it looks like that should be the updated Grimoire (which has more of a beta bestiary and more of the beta SDL adventure of Broken Horn fleshed out).

Beyond those, there is the 5. Legends Loot, 6. Legends Items, 7. Legends Wonders, and 8. Legends Monster Upgrade deck, but i'm not 100% on whether those are necessary. For example I just use the loot deck from FK and sift it down to the appropriate loot. There's no 4. Explorer's Handbook and there's no Crafting guide.

August 18th, 2018, 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6