View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Pet Parade 
Bottle Cap

Anyone try this and have thoughts on it? I did notice that except for the slimes all the pets are affinity blue, which I found a bit odd and wondered if anyone had an idea as to why.

February 23rd, 2018, 2:09 am
Mini-Boss

Pet Parade is a good idea. I liked pets (through some seamed to hate them) but it could be pretty rare to get them out in a game. Having pets as a optional extra and having them out earlier in a different way is good.
the Affinity has some impact in game, of course, but not a huge amount. Pets can rarely equip loot, can't equip treasure, and the only main effect it would have is when dealing with attacks from some affinity based attacks which are fairly rare

================

February 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Minion

I too like that now the pets are actual pets and not something found in a chest.

February 23rd, 2018, 9:32 am
Denizen

I have to re-read the rules and plan to try out the Arcade preview rules after I get the Arcade 2.0 rules down pat (probably in time for them to change them again? :)). I am excited for pet parade 2.0 b/c FK Arcade pets felt bad to get compared to a real treasure b/c mine were at least consistently ineffective/low value and Creeps just soaked up action points to get rid of and didn't feel good b/c no loot.

My biggest concern with Pet Parade is whether the pets will be worth using (in comparison to trading loot for treasure) and if they will be worth increased game length (time to activate pets each hero turn and creeps each consul turn if they're spawned). Ideally each pet should ideally be able to generate enough loot or other value to 'pay for themselves', so for most pets, that's 6-9 minions or 2-3 elites. So generally they need to deal ~6+ wounds assuming 2 wound elites before they add value? I know it's not that simple b/c there is meta associated with the pets and how do you place a price on fun? :)

Adding creeps definitely adds flavor, but they also generally require more action points to deal with compared to other traps/plots if they can't be ignored. Unlike the plots that require an action to pick up a crystal you're standing on top of, they can at least be dealt with at range, but will typically have twice as many creeps as heroes so a party that doesn't have sufficient range or AOE to deal with them...I dunno. At the same time, adding pet parade doesn't even guarantee you'll get creeps as there are 8 challenge cards and you typically only get 1 plot per game so the tradeoff is whether getting a creep trap or plot is better/worse compared to a different challenge/plot card.

The irony is that I'm also sitting here filling out paperwork for our r/l pet dog license while reading pet parade rules :). It'd be funny if they had more tongue in cheek plots like take the pets to a crystal to do their business or help them bury their bone. I'm sure we could do something for Legends since that may be too distracting for a standard game.

February 23rd, 2018, 4:20 pm
Bottle Cap

Yeah, I'm pretty much with on everything you said.

It looks like Pets only add options to the Heroes in Arcade, and while there "might" be creeps it is no guaranteed. And even if they do show it is replacing a normal Plot. So I might also take a Hard Mode Card if I take them in Arcade to offset the additional options/actions I will get from the pets.

Explore seems a whole different ballpark though that I am not familiar enough with to even try and predict the angles it creates with the addition of a plot option to the console.

February 23rd, 2018, 4:43 pm
Mini-Boss

While I don't really play arcade mode.. you can guarantee creeps.
"Alternatively, you can guarantee your Arcade game will incorporate Creeps by shuffling only the Plot cards that came with this expansion to form a Plot Deck and drawing from there. If this is your first time playing with this expansion and you are excited to work Creeps into your game, this may be the way for you to go, but we recommend shuffling the plot cards included with this expansion into the standard Plot Deck to form a deck with a wide variety of possibilities."

Pets do slow down the game a bit more, I think that's one reason people didn't like them. BUT they also can do a fair bit of good for Heroes and help in taking out smaller pests which they focus on something bigger.

one issues at times.. this kinda plays more from the explore point of view, is people need to see both sides, where as Arcade kinda only has one.. In arcade mode, like a number of computer games, you have to deal with "Oh, this are a pain.. very easy to take out but just waste my time". Like mentioned, 'Creeps just waste action points".. Now, if you look at this with the Explore hat on.. There are two sides.. Hero and Consul. the Consul would say "YES! That's the point! They waste your action points to take them out, meaning my monsters have more time to attack you and you have more and more monsters to deal with.". Creeps are like Gnats. Often if you leave them be, they will keep annoying you and slowly doing damage with their bites, but they take time and energy to take care of, can you afford to waste it?

one thing that kinda confuses me with the explore plot deck is the drawing a card.. instead of shuffling the deck and drawing a card which will be the plot that unfolds on that turn (replacing the turn on the mighty monster chart), you draw Three cards.. pick one of theses which you can then look at and use.. that seams weird.. maybe a bit more point if you can look at all three and pick one bit the rules are a little vague on that point (slight mistake to have the rule writers doing the proofing... Proof checking should always bee done by someone else... which is a pain cause I never get that right ¬_¬).

================

February 23rd, 2018, 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

Pet Parade has Arcade Challenge cards so you can spawn creeps outside of the plot and if you're willing to houserule/shuffle stack the Arcade challenge deck, then you can guarantee you'll encounter a certain number of creep related challenge cards.

Compared to Explore, where I think you can only get pets via plot cards (which they don't have otherwise) and specific dungeon bosses (which a lot of the new KS bosses will have), Arcade has a much higher potential to encounter creeps.

Also, I don't think I saw anything that said you must add Pets AND Creeps and you can add Pets *or* Creeps. So if I'm reading this correctly, there really isn't a reason to add Pets to Arcade or Explore as a sort of 'easy mode' if you forego Creeps and vice versa, you can add Creeps to Arcade/Explore just to be part of the experience.

@ManicMan - you're completely right. Creeps should be an excellent way for the Consul in Explore to access more fodder. However, it looks like Creeps for Explore are much more limited compared to FK and Arcade since the Consul can only spawn them via the Explore Plot cards, which are only present with Pet Parade (I assume this could be expanded in the future) and you only get one plot, which you pick at the start of the game, and you don't have to play it (or never get to the turn to play it) and it has the opportunity cost of replacing your MMC. This *should* mean that the strength of the Explore Plot card should be directly correlated with the number of skulls the Consul gives up spawning that turn, but I don't have a good way to gauge this.

I think the only clear strength would be being able to spawn more models on the board if your spawning pool is somehow empty, but then it's just further tilting the game in Consul's favor. I could see it beneficial for a denial strategy where you starve the heroes of loot by spawning creeps instead of minions, but most of the plot cards seem to just be silly fun hijinks that add a twist without hijacking the core game (which I think it good).

I get drawing three (at the start of the game) - so you have some variety/choice as the Consul, but I don't know why you'd specifically put them back on the bottom vs just discard b/c I don't think you'd normally ever touch the plot deck again (in Arcade you draw one plot and...that's it). The only reason I can think of is so the heroes doesn't know what the discarded cards were, but there are 9 explore plot cards so it's slim that they'd guess what the plot is. You can additionally NOT PLAY the plot and min/max veteran gamers that memorize the plot cards may *think* you're going to do a later plot when in fact you have no intention of following through with the plot so I guess there's that mind game.

In regards to maybe drawing cards each turn and deciding whether to replace the MMC, i think that'd be more in line with a challenge deck instead of a plot deck from the Arcade perspective and given you already have a human controlling the consul, it might make things a bit too fiddly or swingy for heroes to handle if the Consul could always change up what happens on the MMC. I think they said they may release more/new MMC boards down the line and those could potentially utilize plot cards in conjunction with/replace pet parade or add challenge cards to Consul.

Unless I can find something that says I need to use pets and creeps together, I'll probably start with just playing with pets in Arcade and see whether they feel fun enough to be worth the time of doing extra activations and spending loot to summon pets.

February 24th, 2018, 12:28 am
Mini-Boss

I liked playing with Creeps as it added more fun and variety to plots. I found that I never really used my pets that much though. At least the few games I played, I really didn't have any extra Loot to spare to summon them. Something I did notice in the rules that they've added since then is that pets benefit from the Mighty Monster chart! That changes a lot of things since now pets scale in strength alongside monsters. It might actually be worth it to bring them along now.

February 24th, 2018, 3:25 am
Mini-Boss

Also one pet automatically spawns with the hero, or 2 for a 5-6 hero game. If you have a Pet ability (like Brave Mode Candy) that allows an extra pet to be spawned for free at the start of the game.

Also to repeat for arcade mode, you can choose via rules to ONLY use the Pet Parade Plot deck, so you only have creeps via plots.

================

February 24th, 2018, 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]