View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 21st, 2018, 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What if SDE had a companion app? 
Mini-Boss

I've been looking around at other dungeon crawling board games for ideas. One thing that struck me was Descent Journeys in the Dark. They have an app that you can use on tablets and phones. It allows you to play the game coop or solitaire. It basically guides you through the story, and lays out the dungeon and monsters for you. It automates a lot of stuff that would be hard to track with cards or charts. I started thinking of what something like this would look like for Super Dungeon. Here are some things I think it could emulate:

- Input your collection so the app knows what models and stuff you have. Some quests require specific tiles or monsters, so those would only unlock if you had the right stuff.

- The app will have a 'save game' of your progress. This could track your money, XP, and other flags or triggers. Imagine playing a campaign where your decisions are saved through the game. If you didn't kill a miniboss, it might return in a future dungeon for round two. The app could keep track of these things better.

- True blind dungeons. In the Descent app it doesn't show the whole dungeon at first, but only tells you which tiles to gather. It has doors on the screen that you touch to open. Then the app lays out the next tiles or notifies you of traps and such. It also might trigger traps every couple turns if you haven't progressed far enough into the dungeon.

- Less record keeping and clutter on your table. The app could give you all the information on the monsters, so you wouldn't need all your cards on the table. If this was using Legends rules, all you'd need is your hero sheet.

In the Descent version, some of the game rules were tweaked a bit to make it work. It was a little clunky, but it's given me some ideas. Seeing as Super Dungeon Explore has many ideas rooted in video games, wouldn't it be cool to see a hybrid of both a video and board game? I think it would be, as long as it adds value and replayability to the game. What do you think about something like this in the future? I'm kind of imaging this as my own version of Legends.

February 16th, 2018, 3:51 am
Minion

If somebody made an app that worked for SDE I would be as excited as a little boy on Christmas morning. To get my family to play isn't very easy, but an app like that would make things simpler and more fun. It would be great if it was simple enough that my young boy could run it so that he would feel more involved (plus he just loves playing with electronics in general). Besides being for legends it would be awesome if they could make it useable for arcade mode too. That would make it quicker and more exciting in general. If you didn't know exactly what the next tile would be or how the monsters would be set up for that tile it would make the game more intriguing. I would pay money for an app that could do everything that Eternaldream has mentioned.

February 16th, 2018, 6:16 am
Mini-Boss

The company made a companion app for Relic Knights. Leave to them (more) this task. Maybe they get some profit.

Lessons of Professor Internet.
* So, you're MAD about something on internet...
* The art of wait.

February 16th, 2018, 11:49 am
Bottle Cap

I would love this app

February 16th, 2018, 10:55 pm
Mini-Boss

If I knew anything about coding I would hop on it. I wouldn't even know where to start first. I need to finish painting the rest of my stuff before I even think about other projects though. Haha.

February 17th, 2018, 2:14 am
Minion

I do know how to code. In several languages.

I built out a personal prototype for myself maybe six months ago, and contacted Soda Pop Miniatures to ask if they would be interested or open to allowing an official release of some capacity. I was up front in saying that I had no intention of changing their rules or function, just automating some of the parts that might take up excess table space and/or add "non-functional process" time to the game.

I told them that my personal prototype did not currently contain any copyrighted materials or content, which is absolutely true, but that with approval it could be filled with their art and content and ready to go in a matter of weeks -without any time investment on their part, other than to approve it before launch.

I was completely open to a negotiating a licensing/profit split deal, advertising, handing them the completed product for a flat cut check, or any number of arrangements regarding potential profits from such a product. Truthfully, a well done companion app significantly increases the value of existing products, and has helped FFG reinvigorate products that had long died down.

So, having a product that could be 100% ready for review and approval within one month, being totally willing to negotiate a wide variety of agreements for any potential gains from this app (advertising dollars or otherwise), and requiring no production work from them, and being clear that I had absolutely no intention to share or release ANYTHING without their express permission... What kind of response do you think I received?

I was informed that SPM currently had no plans to develop an app, and based on their current staff and project workload, their was little or no interest in taking on such a task in ANY capacity. I was effectively told how to reach their legal team; nobody in product management, nobody who actually works on any part of development or publication, just the people who would tell me all about the ways SPM might be able to sue me if I ever did anything with it.

So if you want a companion app, I recommend building one yourself. Without any legal names or copyrighted arts/content/material anywhere on it, exclusively for your own personal use ONLY.

What has to be one of the most frustrating things about this, for me at least, was that this would have been able to do SO MUCH to get people genuinely excited for their upcoming projects in a really big way. Can you imagine an update saying "Hey everyone, we have some exciting news to announce: Super Dungeon now has an official companion app, where you can maintain much of your character progression to save table space, to speed up the Consul steps in Arcade mode, and to track your ongoing wins and losses in Arena mode. The app includes the most current rules and beta scenarios for your enjoyment. The best part? It's available now. This was developed by am outside partner, and had no effect on the timeline, budget, or production of Super Dungeon Legends!"

If you told me there was a companion app available now, with all those features, and where I could even see the latest rules in effect -and all of that was being done without any impact on the timeline of Legends... I know I'd be a lot happier with the franchise and the company than I am right now. Having seen how much a good companion app can help games like Descent, Imperial Assault, or Mansions of Madness, this sort of thing can really turn things around in a community.

I've mentioned the concept elsewhere in the forums months ago, on multiple occasions. As I've always stated though, I won't share or release anything I've developed without express written permission from SPM. I don't want to paint a Target on my back for a lawsuit and in turn give SPM any kind of potential excuse to blame a future delay on ME. There's a part of me that could honestly see them claiming that legal discussions or proceedings actually held up development yet again. :(

February 24th, 2018, 10:24 pm
Minion

While I agree a companion app could be helpful and drive interest and that if you have something pretty much ready to go it seems like an easy argument to make, if they are completely truthful in terms of their focusing in on completing current projects and not allowing distractions from their completion that response could make sense (and I really hope that's the case for multiple reasons). My hope would be that maybe if you revisited after they're in the clear of their kickstarter mess they'd be more open to the idea.

Also possible that they have something in the works (someone mentioned a Relic Knights app already exists and they do have a relationship with the team that made SDE:Tactics) but weren't ready/willing to reveal its existence.

IANAL but impression I've received from others experiences is that companies have to invoke legal team etc to prove defense of their copyright/trademark should it come to it.

Hope your creation can see the light of day at some point.

February 26th, 2018, 10:25 pm
Minion

I would really like it to. I've built three versions for myself at this point (adhering to the rules and guidelines I laid out above, of course).

One that strictly utilizes Forgotten King Arcade rules, another that uses a new arcade logic deck that I cooked up myself (more variety of enemy actions, designed to serve a more direct and sensible purpose than the original arcade deck often manages to convey), and of course a third one using the more recently published arcade 2.0 rules. I haven't really sat down to play the new 2.0 rules all the way through yet, and more recently added logic to aid with turn/phase tracking for new players. I might see if I can give it a try this weekend, maybe after adding in a Mighty Monster Chart function.

As said, none of this will ever be sold/shared/released without express permission from the license holder, but perhaps when they seem to be in a less hectic position I will try contacting them again. I don't think they're working on one, as the language used very clearly indicated that they "have no plans for an app of any kind". I think it was more that they were either not taking me seriously, or not convinced that my product would be launchable without taking up a ton of their time. But... Yeah... Perhaps I'll try them again later.

March 2nd, 2018, 9:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]