View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 16th, 2018, 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Mini-Boss

Holy Cross wrote:
-Including the Salt Pillar spawn point made loot and treasure easy to farm. (Sorrows being 1 wound, 0 armor elites). I'll be switching them out next game.

It was suggested by someone else that the Sorrows from the Salt Pillar be spawned like elites, but be treated as minions for the purposes of loot gathering. Otherwise, as you have noted, they become loot farms.

Funnily enough, I started a game last night and was also using the Salt Pillar. But after a few turns I have hit the "reset button" as I am not even off the first tile, and am getting slammed (including getting hit by the Forgotten by the Goddess(?)" Plot card - the one where you cannot heal.

February 21st, 2018, 1:35 pm
Ninja Corps

Spazzfist wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:
Funnily enough, I started a game last night and was also using the Salt Pillar. But after a few turns I have hit the "reset button" as I am not even off the first tile, and am getting slammed (including getting hit by the Forgotten by the Goddess(?)" Plot card - the one where you cannot heal.

that's good to hear. I don't want to see a co-op that never beats the players!

February 21st, 2018, 3:02 pm
Mini-Boss

It can be downright brutal. I'd say I've died more than I've won games.

February 21st, 2018, 3:19 pm
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
Spazzfist wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:

that's good to hear. I don't want to see a co-op that never beats the players!

Arcade can be brutal, can be done well.

My group and I played arcade for a long time before this edition and we've evolved with the rules. We've lost a couple of times, but have had more wins than failures. But as a disclaimer this is my group that I've been playing games with since 2nd grade. So Dnd, Board Games, then eventually world of warcraft raiding guilds, etc...

So we have a natural disposition to organize and play well and balance our parties. But even still, the "Computer" has gotten us a couple of times. It is a blast, and playing hard mode is wild, you should definitely try it.

Arcade is the best it's ever been In my opinion.

I have to say the work they have done on the game is clearly reflected in the success of the rule set. My only complaint and everyone elses is just the wait. But me personally, im super happy with Arcade, which is my favorite way to play. Justin did a bang up job and being a heavy beta tester, the evolution and feedback response from our test games really showed. In this regard, soda pop did an excellent job. its the second half of getting it in our hands that makes me grumble. hahaha.

February 21st, 2018, 5:57 pm
Denizen

I played with one hard mode card last game, but the Sorrows/Salt Pillar countered that by dropping tons of loot. Next game I’m dropping the Salt Pillar and running two hard mode cards. Battle report #10 coming soon! :D

February 21st, 2018, 6:33 pm
Ninja Corps

Holy Cross wrote:
I played with one hard mode card last game, but the Sorrows/Salt Pillar countered that by dropping tons of loot. Next game I’m dropping the Salt Pillar and running two hard mode cards. Battle report #10 coming soon! :D

yeah, and unmodified salt pillar is just a loot fountain. conversely, a (unmodified) tribal stone will kick your !SODA! so hard on the first tile.

the main problem we (my group) had with the old FK arcade was that, no matter how bad things got, we never actually lost a game, ever. not once. The most talked about thegame was that one time we almost came close to losing, but still didn't. so, it got boring. The new rules definitely fix that. It was one of the first concerns i voiced about things that needed to change, and I'm very glad it was listened to. :P

February 21st, 2018, 9:06 pm
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:

yeah, and unmodified salt pillar is just a loot fountain. conversely, a (unmodified) tribal stone will kick your !SODA! so hard on the first tile.

I know what spawning point I’m adding to my next game :D

February 21st, 2018, 9:12 pm
Mini-Boss

I did my first runthrough with the 2.0 Arcade rules. Hearthsworn Fighter, Glimmerdusk Ranger, and Ember Mage vs Dragon Egg Clutch (tile 1) & Kobold Warrens (tile 2 & 3), Rex, and Starfire. I selected these models b/c I wanted to stick to familiar heroes and mobs and this is a typical party we'd play with prior to 2.0.

Took about 2 hrs after setup, and this is with me cheating rolls to make the game go faster since I started a bit late. If I didn't cheat, I think it could've easily taken another 30m-1hr (with the learning curve and me being tired!). The MMC only shows 12 consul turns, but obviously the game can take longer depending on how long it takes you to defeat the dungeon boss (or be defeated), which I didn't factor in.

It was a good learning experience and I was happy with the (perceived) base difficulty level and pacing. It definitely feels tough enough that an easy mode and hard mode makes sense given the difficulty rests a lot of the selected heroes, mobs, and luck of the draw/dice. I love that it still feels like SDE to me, but significantly less onerous compared to FK b/c I felt like I could and needed to progress as opposed to living on tile 1. The MMC helped immensely in pacing b/c I knew which commands were coming up, I could activate heroes with a soft strategy in mind and it effectively forced progress across tiles. Commands like reinforce were both good and bad b/c I knew I generally had a limited # of these compared to FK Arcade and I needed mobs to get loot to prep for the bosses, but had to control them so we didn't get overwhelmed. It also took care of the too often 'do nothing' commands that occurred in FK based on card luck draw. The challenge and plot cards add just enough variety and drama that they are meaningful, but didn't overshadow the base gameplay of move, kill mobs, loot. I used the preview loot & treasure cards and backed them with my extra SDE 1.0 cards. I made it about 1/3 through both loot/treasure decks so got to see a good variety of cards, which was nice b/c I didn't feel treasure starved, which used to happen when you can only got to see maybe 4 or 5 treasure cards out of the entire deck at most in a 3 hero game. I also used the FK Arcade Mob cards, which I feel was a mistake b/c the preview cads have different stats, so I will need to replay this b/c I think the FK Arcade kobolds and Starfire are much stronger compared to the 2.0 version. Also makes me wonder if they'll re-tune the existing FK Arcade mobs/heroes, etc. Things like Twilight Knight's Green potion to kill traps and creeps don't make sense anymore.

Overall, since I had an AOE heavy group (and didn't play some rules correctly), we were able to dispose of mobs quickly b/w the Hearthsworn Fighter's Pull/Cleave + Glimmerdusk Ranger AOE in a single activation and Ember Mage's Fire chewing through elites, but the tradeoff was that we were loot starved when we summoned the Dungeon Boss by killing the third spawn point on turn 8 (no, this should not regularly happen, but is technically possible with perfect rolls unless I goofed on other rules).

Things I had issues with/forgot to do:
1) Forgot to use Quick Hatch rule on Dragon Clutch mobs after initial spawn on first tile.
2) Didn't use the 2.0 Arcade mob profiles. E.g. Starfire and Rex no longer have Signature actions, Kobolds have different gangs, etc.
3) Forgot to do MMC 4-All spawning points spawn, but since I was using linked spawn, tile 3 was empty anyways
4) Forgot to roll Green die after resolving the plot for chance at treasure
5) Forgot to apply MMC +1 STR bonus consistently. I even put the card ON the MMC chart, but I always forget this b/c it's not explicitly on the card. I think a better, visual reminder would be more helpful than a random card out on the board. I had this issue b/f 2.0 anyways so maybe just me.
6) Still have trouble tracking all the auras that are in play. Would be nice if there was a counter/visual representation -- we used Princess Coin counters previously on the board and/or on the card, but maybe these are easier to track when you're not controlling all the heroes/models on your own b/c my wife would usually remind me when we play.
7) Forgot to apply debuffs from equipment since more of the 2.0 loot give debuffs and immunities
8) Still wish we had separate cards per gang that may be spawned to better track wounds and status effects on multi-wound models. As long as there are only 2 gangs, this isn't too bad b/c I just use left side and right side.
9) I hate putting all the counters ON the hero card or even on the equipment b/c it covers up all the relevant info! I'm going to (semi-officially) start putting the wound, potion, status, and wrath counters in the upper/lower right/left gaps b/w the equipment and see how well that works. I had 15+ counters on my Hearthsworn Fighter at one point (6 wrath, 5 wounds, 1 potion, activation token, plot crystal, 2 debuffs that he was somehow not immune to)
10) Linked spawn can be scary for the boss challenge that spawns a random spawn
11) As noted by others, loot per spawn gangs is not balanced. Multi wound minions are yuck, but single wound elites feel too easy.
12) I'm worried I'm not spawning/moving minions correctly. I think most spawn points have 2-3 gangs. The FK Arcade Kobolds is 4 gangs so after elites are placed as close as possible to the highest wrath hero, the minions have no option but to spawn even closer to the hero b/c they can't be adjacent to the spawn, elite, or each other. I decided to consistently spawn them in cardinal directions to make most efficient use of space, but this also makes them more susceptible to AOE like sweep, lance, cross, wave, etc. whereas they defend better against burst. I could stagger the minions, but then I'd have to put one in a very weird place. I didn't find a rule that said they needed to be closer to the heroes, just not adjacent to another mob when possible, so I could technically place them adjacent to heroes or place them to be more susceptible to my available AOE. All my tiles were pretty open so I imagine with the 'room' and 'hallway' tiles some will just have to be adjacent.
13) I'm assuming the idea is to target the weaker minions b/c they tend to have less armor and to weaken the gang b/c attacking the elite (unless no minion is in range) just results in minions being expended for the wounds. Given my access to AOE, I was able to prioritize elites and assuming I played this correctly, it makes AOE heroes significantly stronger in the right circumstances to only have to defeat the elite and not chew through minion wounds.
14) Is there a (good) reason to ever take +ARM gear over offensive gear? I felt I needed 3 gear with offensive stats and sometimes even an action/pot buff to have a good/consistent chance of wounding the dungeon boss and a hero with 2 gear focused on ARM couldn't consistently block a boss attack anyways. The extra dice doesn't generate hearts or pots (good defense is a good offense!) and without enough offense to get wounds much less critical hits, you're stuck drinking a green pot for 2 wrath at most. Focusing on offense is even helpful when you get a boss challenge that makes you use your primary stat for defense. I saw some of the +ARM treasure was buffed so you could use your actions to create a defensive aura...but this was one treasure item.
15) I'm on the fence that the mini-boss should benefit from MM STR/ARM bonus, but may change my mind after playing with actual 2.0 mobs b/c there's a fine line b/w mini boss and boss stat lines and +1 STR/+1 ARM I think makes some mini bosses as strong as bosses minus wounds and actions. I don't think mini bosses can use their unique actions during boss fight, though, since I think only boss's unique actions trigger? I'll have to re-check the boss challenge cards.
16) I had trouble tracking which challenge was in play. Challenge occurs at the end of the consul turn, is active during hero turn, and is then active during consul command phase until next challenge or clean-up I think. Until you get to the boss, you don't have a challenge every turn, so sometimes I'd forget after the hero turn it was still active for the consul turn.
17) Fire only appears to deal wounds to heroes during upkeep when they activate, but then you have to remember to remove the tokens after the hero's activation. I'm used to taking off Fire after it deals its wound, but then I'd have to leave all the other debuffs that last the hero activation like slow or hex before removing them.

I did run into some rules issues, not sure if y'all ran into these, too:
1) If an elite is on fire, I had previously played the model takes the wound during the consul upkeep, but the way expendable reads, unless it's AOE or applying a non-wound status effect, an expendable minion will take the wound (jump on the fire!). However, if the elite does not have a bonded minion in range (which they did not in my case since I'd AOE all the available bonded minions or pulled elites out of range of minions b/c attacking), then the elite takes the wound, thus leading to issue 2)
2) What does an orphaned minion do? They can't move b/c there's no elite to move to. If the spawn is gone, no more elites will spawn to move to. They don't fight without an elite. I played they just sit there and we can use actions to kill them for loot/hearts/potions if I didn't have something better to do. I had this issue even when Starfire spawned and boss challenge spawned a bunch of wyrms. I just AOE'd the elites and the rest just sat there ignored for the rest of the game.
3) Can elites expend wounds to minions taken by AOE? rulebook says no, so Heartsworn Fighter's Cleave can effectively bypass an elites minion protection and target wounds to elites only.
4) Why does a minion have any movement. They don't move without an elite and with the new rules they don't 'move' so much as teleport to 2 squares by their elite. So if they're slowed, it doesn't seem to matter. If they are knocked down or immobile, then I just played they don't 'teleport' and stay where they are (so unbonded/soon to be orphaned minion).
5) How do you handle debuffs on a minion? This is most common on a multiple wound minion, but there are support actions that can place debuffs without wounding. Do I count the entire gang as a single entity so if I wound any of the models, the whole gang gets debuffed even if the model I targeted died, but then they can at most suffer a single debuff? If the gang's elite is debuffed, it's pretty straightforward, but if the elite and minion are debuffed, is poison -2 actions or -1? Bane? Hex? Slow on the elite makes sense. Fire makes sense. Knockdown and immobile make sense to me. Would Ice only apply to the elite or minion's actions or affect the entire gang?
6) If you never make it to MMC 9, the mobs never get +1 ARM b/c there's nothing in the rules that tell you to trigger it outside of advancing to it via MMC, which you don't do if you spawn the dungeon boss. This is relevant for situations where boss challenge brings back non-boss mobs that should benefit from MM bonuses.

February 22nd, 2018, 3:57 am
Denizen

Let me see if I can answer your questions in short order, here goes:
1) Elites on fire would pass wounds off to bonded minions per basic rules. If no bonded minions, Eilte suffers the wounds.
2)'Orphaned minion' is a great term. Per basic rules they would seem to sit there until an eilte gets near. I may house-rule this that orphaned minions get drafted back to elites during 'Spawn' and 'Reinforce' commands, otherwise it seems a bit wasteful.
3)Correct, AoE can not be passed off due to 'Expendable' special rule. It does make the Hearthsworn Fighter exceptionally powerful in Arcade. I have benched him for now, but in future playthroughs I may just add 'Hard-Mode' cards into the game to balance him out.
4)I've wondered the same. Might be an oversight
5)Many debuffs are probably non-applicable to minions. There's no definite rulebook answer. Best to house-rule it until SPM launches an FAQ/errata.
6)Agreed. Your party is definitely in beast mode if you kill 3 spawn points before Consul turn 9. I suppose the 'Dimension Draft' potion (teleport) combined with the right heroes could do it.

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying this! Welcome to the discussion!

@Usagi, keep me honest here. I know you grew into the rules through beta testing while I jumped in at the end when the final(?) rules were posted. Does it look mostly right to you?

February 22nd, 2018, 5:14 am
Bottle Cap

with respect to 2)
This is described on page 33 under Consul Cleanup - Check for Straglers.

Basically, at the end of the consul turn minions that are not bonded to any elite, they rally to an elite in their gang, if one exists. Otherwise, they flee and are placed back in the spawning pool.

5) I find it pretty clear, that debuffs apply only to the model i affects. If a minion suffers poison, it is moot because the minion has no action points to lose. Likewise a minion with hex is does nothing because minions do not attack, whereas a minion suffering bane is more prone to being hit. Any debuffs on minions are not applied to their elite and vice versa.

February 22nd, 2018, 10:12 am
Denizen

N0iR wrote:
with respect to 2)

Basically, at the end of the consul turn minions that are not bonded to any elite, they rally to an elite in their gang, if one exists. Otherwise, they flee and are placed back in the spawning pool.

5) I find it pretty clear, that debuffs apply only to the model i affects. If a minion suffers poison, it is moot because the minion has no action points to lose. Likewise a minion with hex is does nothing because minions do not attack, whereas a minion suffering bane is more prone to being hit. Any debuffs on minions are not applied to their elite and vice versa.

Thanks! I figured I was missing something with the stragglers.

IRT status effects I figured things like slow/poison would be moot, since the movement value of a minion seems to be moot also.

February 22nd, 2018, 3:18 pm
Denizen

Holy Cross wrote:
N0iR wrote:
with respect to 2)

Thanks! I figured I was missing something with the stragglers.

IRT status effects I figured things like slow/poison would be moot, since the movement value of a minion seems to be moot also.

In regards to stragglers, if you are playing the game correctly, this is definitely not a common occurrence. I wish it were, lol

February 22nd, 2018, 3:37 pm
Mini-Boss

So here is the battle report and some pictures of my second game of Arcade 2.0. I finally got around to actually executing an idea which has been bouncing around in my head for a while and that was having an all "bad guy" party. In this case, the kobolds were trying to oust the Forgotten King and had solicited the help of a succubus, or were they just being manipulated by the seductive demon?

Dungeon Boss - Forgotten King
Mini-Boss - Salt
Spawn points - Salt Pillar (with sorrows as minions), Fungal Growth, Bramble Knight
Creeps - none
Heroes - Outcast Succubus, Wyrm Claw Exemplar, Wyrm Claw Templar

I thought I would try starting off with the zig zagging tile on the firts map. I did have some speed to mitigate the distance, as well as Surefooot and Flying, so that did help. Here is a pic of my setup and the starting positions.

** please excuse the poor quality of my photos. My camera lens on my phone is smashed and it always has these blurry spots and poor focus. :( **

The kobolds wanted to show off for the succubus and ran forward to take on the Fungal growths. Getting a foothold on wiping them out was really difficult as they rolled poorly and any loot they did get ended up being more appropriate for the succubus (she sat back at the start as they showered her with gifts! How thematically appropriate!)

I found myself wishing that I could squeeze out a bit more movement, but in reading the rules in the movement section there was nothing about the old rules about sprinting (give up all actions to double movement) or the newer idea about giving up one action to gain two points of movement. It was not until later in the game, when I saw the reference section in the back that it is mentioned that you can indeed take two more points of movement for one action (listed as a basic action) - I would have liked to have seen something about that in the movement section of the rules!

The kobolds kept pushing forward until I got to this point, which is where they were both adjacent to the first two spawn points, just before all spawn points were about to spawn.

Both the spawn points were fortunately destroyed by the kobolds, and so Salt came out to hunt down the Templar. But this was a small price to pay, as it avoided seeing any of the monsters from the spawn point altogether. But as the Consul turn hit, we got a plot card which meant that all heroes would be lit on fire until the two tokens on the third tile were interacted with and removed. Well how fortunate for me that my fastest character was already on the second tile! Templar to the rescue! The succubus came into the fray and started takign some heat off of the badly wounded exemplar to gain the most wrath so that the kobolds would be ignored.

Once the fires were put out (literally) the Templar took the opportunity to knock out the last spawn point and then began the mop up operation. Which went horribly. Dice rolls were poor, and with reinforcement actions, anything I killed just kept coming back! But it was a blessing in disguise as when the Forgotten King came out, the heroes had a maximum of three loot/treasure locked in, which meant his Hubris was never better than +3. The Templar was able to use his potion on the King to give him Hex, and then used his ability to give him Bane. He also had a treasure card that put him on fire. So once those three status effects were loaded on, it was a matter of surviving while his death clock ticked down.

In the end, I used three of my four Princess coins. I had never killed the big Okoshroom who plagued me all game, and never managed to put a single wound on Salt!

Questions

1) Is there any rule that says you cannot play the same two characters on every hero turn?
2) Is there any way for a boss to get rid of status effects?

February 22nd, 2018, 6:01 pm
Bottle Cap

Quote:
Questions

1) Is there any rule that says you cannot play the same two characters on every hero turn?

1) pg. 13 "Every Hero in the party must be activated before a Hero may be selected an additional time. When a Hero activates, place an
activation token on its card. A Hero with an activation token on its card may not activate again. Once all Heroes in the party have an activation token on their cards, remove all activation tokens from all Heroes."
2) it was unclear to me. It says remove statuses from a model after activating, but in Arcade Console models do not activate... so I'm not sure. I've been playing as status effects do get cleared end of console turn because otherwise it seems there are things to do that could make it way too easy, but I have no rules I know of to support this.

February 22nd, 2018, 6:33 pm
Denizen

Spazzfist wrote:

1) Yes it specifically says in the rules, (or atleast it used to unless it got removed in final print) was that each turn you activate (x) heroes based on game size, the next time the heroes that didn't activate must do so, then you can start doubling up.

So in a 3 person game if you had Royal paladin, glimmer dusk, princess amythest

turn 1 Paladin Amuthest go,
turn 2, Glimmer dust must activate, then you can pick one of the other 2.

So on and so on.

In even playered games, you are basically going first group, second group.

2) Double check this, but I believe all effects are lost during upkeep or end of turn. Its definitely in the rules. So for example, burn will do 1 damage, then its gone at the end of that consul turn.

February 22nd, 2018, 7:11 pm
Mini-Boss

1) (incorrect answer - updating for clarity) No. You just need to activate all heroes b/f they can go again. So you can activate hero 1 & 2, then 3 & 2, then 1 & 2, then 3 & 2 etc. etc.

(copied from noir):

- Round 1 Heroes A & B activate.
- Round 2 Hero C activates first, then all activation markers are reset and either A or B activates and flips his/her marker.
- Round 3 Hero C and the one of A or B whos marker isn't flipped activate last turn activates in any order and then all markers are reset again.
- Round 4 Any two heros activate..

2) All models remove status effects at the end of their activation so you have to reapply debuffs every turn.

See page 41 Status effects:

The model suffers the effect until the token is removed,
at which point the effects immediately end. At the end
of a model’s activation remove all status effect tokens
from it.

So you can remove a status effect early using Heal, Remedy, or lose your move to stand up from knockdown or wait until end of activation.

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on February 22nd, 2018, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2018, 7:14 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
1) No. You just need to activate all heroes b/f they can go again. So you can activate hero 1 & 2, then 3 & 2, then 1 & 2, then 3 & 2 etc. etc.

2) All models remove status effects at the end of their activation so you have to reapply debuffs every turn.

See page 41 Status effects:

The model suffers the effect until the token is removed,
at which point the effects immediately end. At the end
of a model’s activation remove all status effect tokens
from it.

So you can remove a status effect early using Heal, Remedy, or lose your move to stand up from knockdown or wait until end of activation.

The better answer.

February 22nd, 2018, 7:20 pm
Denizen

I was about to answer but it looks like I got beat to it :D

Great battle report @Spazzfist! Your models look great and I like how you eloquently captured the highlights. The blurry spots aren’t a big deal either, they definitely help me visualize the theme and how things played out.

Also, I need one of those gaming tables. :D

February 22nd, 2018, 7:30 pm
Bottle Cap

sleepy_laughter wrote:
1) No. You just need to activate all heroes b/f they can go again. So you can activate hero 1 & 2, then 3 & 2, then 1 & 2, then 3 & 2 etc. etc.

Wrong. All heroes need to be activated before you can activate any individual hero again. Use activation markers to track this.

Example:
- Round 1 Heroes A & B activate.
- Round 2 Hero C activates first, then all activation markers are reset and either A or B activates and flips his/her marker.
- Round 3 Hero C and the one of A or B whos marker isn't flipped activate last turn activates in any order and then all markers are reset again.
- Round 4 Any two heros activate..

dsdrew924 wrote:
In regards to stragglers, if you are playing the game correctly, this is definitely not a common occurrence. I wish it were, lol

It mostly comes into play when using compel or push effects. One particular example from a game I recently played against the mistmourn troll warband:

I controlled the shaman hero with 1 AP left facing off against the troll elite bonded to two minions. Rather than trying to wound him this turn, I used the shamans support unique action to push the elite two spaces away from its minions such that it was no longer bonded to them.
When the elite activated, it went off even further away in pursuit of its target - princess emerald in this game. Because the minions were not bonded to the elite when it activated, they did not follow and princess emerald only suffered the Solo attribute attacks of the elite.
Finally during the check for stragglers step, the poor trolls realized their mistake and rushed back to support their master.

February 22nd, 2018, 8:02 pm
Denizen

N0iR wrote:
sleepy_laughter wrote:

Wrong. All heroes need to be activated before you can activate any individual hero again. Use activation markers to track this.

Can you explain to me how my answer was wrong?

Nothing states you can't double activate per say, I then clearly go on to state that you need to activate all heroes before they go double dipping? And I even further explain in my example.

So how is that wrong when its basically the same thing you said?

February 22nd, 2018, 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next