View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 21st, 2018, 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Ninja Corps

It's always good to see losses in arcade. I mean that in a positive way. :P

If it was a win all the time scenario, it would be boring. Actually seeing losses (and that difficulty cards can help customize handicap) makes sure that the games actually have some tension to them.

Good report, as always. Dunno how your candy is painted. Mine isn't even glued together still. XD

June 17th, 2018, 8:04 am
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
It's always good to see losses in arcade. I mean that in a positive way. :P

If it was a win all the time scenario, it would be boring. Actually seeing losses (and that difficulty cards can help customize handicap) makes sure that the games actually have some tension to them.

Good report, as always. Dunno how your candy is painted. Mine isn't even glued together still. XD

I love the difficulty of Arcade. Playing with a group it was great to play without hard mode cards and let them make mistakes. 6 hard mode cards (and so many combinations of monsters/mini bosses/Dungeon Bosses) give this great replay value for a regular SDE group. :)

June 17th, 2018, 4:04 pm
Denizen

I'm actually a bit surprised you lost with such a strong party make-up, but as you said, having 3 individual players and not overly coaching them makes a big difference. Even with Fae Alchemist and Tusk Raider, I wonder if y'all had poor dice rolls or maybe just inexperienced combat choices?

I'm interested in how many times the Tusk Raider turned around and thwacked the Fae Alchemist and your wife gave your friend a death glare XD.

And...although you call this normal mode, I will point out that you put paired spawns on Tile 1 and 3 in addition to fighting Testudo Tower for the dungeon boss. This makes for a tough Tile 1 if you don't have the AOE to clear the elites (and you started on the lake tile) and unless you have a highly mobile hero pop over to tile 2 or 3 to kill the spawn point b/f all spawns spawn, you're almost guaranteeing a giant wave on Tile 2.

What Plot did you get? I've found the plot is often a big variable in the difficulty of Arcade.

As for Glimmerwing and Testudo, I've found the best stratey we had was to have our glass cannons dunk his HP from range outside of Wave and Lance and just let a single hero (with hopefully enough wounds) just soak the wounds and potentially die/eat a princess coin. I only saw the Tusk Raider die on the earlier tile so you should have had 3 other princess coins in the bank -- all used on Testudo? Or did you have mishaps from Candy's spotty healing elsewhere?

It is a bit bizarre to see Testudo without Rocktops on the tiles beforehand, but I guess there is no Rocktop synergy in Arcade ^^;;

June 17th, 2018, 4:26 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
I'm actually a bit surprised you lost with such a strong party make-up, but as you said, having 3 individual players and not overly coaching them makes a big difference. Even with Fae Alchemist and Tusk Raider, I wonder if y'all had poor dice rolls or maybe just inexperienced combat choices?^^;;

It mostly came down to my friend being inexperienced and my wife being out of practice. I could've given them all the right answers but then it becomes a game of "do what I say then roll dice." Katie and Adam made a bunch of mistakes, but I'd rather let them make mistakes and lose, than I exist as a safety net and they don't make any decisions themselves.

Tusk Raider didn't thwack the party too bad btw :lol:

sleepy_laughter wrote:
What Plot did you get? I've found the plot is often a big variable in the difficulty of Arcade.

Plot was The Gauntlet. We had to draw double the number of Challenge cards.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
As for Glimmerwing and Testudo, I've found the best stratey we had was to have our glass cannons dunk his HP from range outside of Wave and Lance and just let a single hero (with hopefully enough wounds) just soak the wounds and potentially die/eat a princess coin. I only saw the Tusk Raider die on the earlier tile so you should have had 3 other princess coins in the bank -- all used on Testudo? Or did you have mishaps from Candy's spotty healing elsewhere?

We were down to one Princess Coin by the time Tetsudo Tower showed up. 2 Tusk Raider deaths and a Fae Alchemist death. By the time he showed up we just didn't have the staying power and my buddy tried to tank him.

June 18th, 2018, 1:02 am
Denizen

**Bump**
Greetings all! Finally I've sat down and played a a game of Arcade 2.0 with 3 actual players (not me solo-playing 3-4 heroes) so I figured I'd share the experience. Sweetheart Candy made her first appearance on my tabletop too. With that, here is Arcade report #14.

First my observations on playing with three players
Myself, my wife and one of my Warhammer buddies made up the 3 hero party. I took Sweetheart Candy, My wife took Fae Alchemist and my buddy took Tusk Raider. I have the most experience playing Arcade 2.0. My wife has played it once, but has played the earlier editions quite a bit. My buddy had never played any form of SDE before.

-Allowing the party to make their own decisions was important. I gave advice here and there, but leaving most decisions in the hands of the other players ensured we all had fun.

-We played the game on normal difficulty (no hard or easy cards) and lost with the Dungeon Boss down to 3 remaining wounds. This is about where my last game ended up, except I was playing with 2 hard mode cards. Dividing decision making between 3 players made the game harder, but more rewarding.

Regarding Sweetheart Candy

-Playing a DEX/Healer was fun, though her potion wasn't terribly reliable in a pinch.
-Her 'Have a Heart' ability is optimized by stacking blue dice. I don't feel a fully capitalized on this.
-I might need to experiment with her other abilities to see what she's capable of.

An additional observations
-Having a base green STR dice made Tusk Raider great for dishing out critical hits at the end game when he picked up a treasure card for +1GR, and another for +1R.
-Tetsudo Tower's Sturdy ability, combined with his 10 wounds made him very durable. Losing the ability to inflict critical wounds bought him the extra turn it took for him to wipe out the party. He's definitely a tougher boss.

So with all that said, here are the highlights:

Tusk Raider and Fae Alchemist make short work of the first tile. Sweetheart Candy moves up to support.

Tusk Raider and Sweetheart Candy push into the second tile, tackling the Fungal Growth spawning points.

Glimmerwing draws near, and the heroes find themselves fighting on two fronts.

Tusk Raider engages with Glimmerwing, but falls in the process.

With two strikes from her bow, Sweetheart Candy finishes off Glimmerwing freeing the heroes to focus on the rest of the horde.

Tetsudo Tower draws near. The heroes put up a noble fight, reducing the Dungeon Boss to only 3 wounds remaining. However the Tusk Raider falls with no Princess Coins to revive him and the party falls.

June 18th, 2018, 2:32 am
Employee

It's really cool to see threads like this!

If you guys want some stuff that is coming out to test, I'll drop a few things here. For any feedback, please email me (see signature).

ONIBABA
Oni Dungeon Boss
Citrine/Ruby

Move: 6
Actions: 4
STR: 5
ARM: 4
Range: 6
Hearts: 9

Scavenger: If a monster with Scavenger discards equipment from a Hero, place the equipment next to the monster. The monster gains +1W STR for each equipment discarded in this way.

(blue) Feed, My Children: All other monsters perform the Fight command.

(red) Crippling Miasma: Wave 4, Bane

(red) Devouring Horror: If this inflicts a wound, discard a random equipment from the target (shuffle them and draw one randomly without looking).

IJIN MADOUSHI
Solo Paired Spawning Point
Citrine

Move: 2
Actions: 1
STR: 2
ARM: 1
Range: 2
Hearts: 3

Solo Paired Spawn: This solo is also a spawning point with the spawning pool listed below. It follows commands as if it were a solo, and spawns as if it were a paired spawning point. When this solo receives the move command, it moves directly away from the closest Hero.

Rampage: A model with Rampage gains +1W while making offensive actions for each spawning point that was destroyed this game.

Spawning Pool:
2 x Ijin Madoushi (paired spawning point)
3 x Ijin Kaiken
2 x Ijin Yajiri
2 x Ijin Oni
3 x Ijin Kunoichi

Cards:
1 x A Crush of Ijin
1 x Ijin Hunting Party

(blue) Blood Frenzy: Augment, all other Ijin gangs on this tile gain Massive Damage to all of their attacks this turn.

IJIN CHUNIN
Ijin Mini-Boss
Citrine

Actions: 2
STR: 4
ARM: 3
Range: 2
Hearts: 7

Rampage: A model with Rampage gains +1W while making offensive actions for each spawning point that was destroyed this game.

(blue) Howl: The closest other gang with the Rampage ability immediately performs the fight command.

(red) Double Slash: Massive Damage

(red) Finish The Weak: This attack gains +1W STR for each wound on the target.

A CRUSH OF IJIN
Arcade Gang

Actions: 1/2
STR: 2/3
Range: 2/2

Citrine

Elite: Ijin Oni
Hearts: 2
ARM: 2

Bonded Minion: Ijin Kaiken
Hearts: 1
ARM: 0
(red) Overwhelming Assault: Massive Damage

IJIN HUNTING PARTY
Arcade Gang

Actions: 1/1
STR: 1/2
Range: 6/6

Emerald

Elite: Ijin Yajiri
(red) You Can't Run: +2W STR, Immobile

Bonded Minion: Ijin Kunoichi

Note: Rampage adds blue rather than white in explore/arena.

Enjoy!

Email: justin.gibbs@ninjadivision.com

June 26th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Minion

Thanks for the content Justin! Really loving having the Ninjas/Ronin available for SDE. Can't wait to get a game in with them.

June 27th, 2018, 2:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12