View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 16th, 2018, 8:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Denizen

I played my third game today. The following was of note:
-I put the rogue back in my party (Paladin, Mage, Ranger, Rogue), her mobility and teleport potion had me decked with 3 treasure cards in the first turn.
-The game started to feel a bit easy, but that was deceptive. Challenge and plot cards threw just the right number of curveballs to keep things interesting. Pretty soon I was down 3 princess coins in the last stretch of the game.
-Total game time was approx 2 and a half hours.

Last edited by Holy Cross on February 5th, 2018, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2018, 8:50 am
Ninja Corps

Holy Cross wrote:
-I put the rogue back in my party (Paladin, Mage, Ranger, Rogue), her mobility and teleport potion had me decked with 5 treasure cards in the first turn.

...how? considering in a 4 hero game you'd be lucky to get 5 treasure cards throughout the entirety of the game...with 1 per board section and one from the mini boss...i'm not seeing how 10 extra move spaces gets you 5 treasures in one turn. o_O

February 4th, 2018, 10:22 pm
Mini-Boss

Doesn't the Rogue have the Luck keyword? I believe that means you draw an extra Treasure but discard one. Were you drawing amd keeping both I wonder?

February 5th, 2018, 1:31 am
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
Holy Cross wrote:
-I put the rogue back in my party (Paladin, Mage, Ranger, Rogue), her mobility and teleport potion had me decked with 5 treasure cards in the first turn.

...how? considering in a 4 hero game you'd be lucky to get 5 treasure cards throughout the entirety of the game...with 1 per board section and one from the mini boss...i'm not seeing how 10 extra move spaces gets you 5 treasures in one turn. o_O

It was 3 cards, not 5 (It was late when I posted this). In the 2.0 rules chests yield treasure cards equal to the tile number they are on. I got one from the first tile, 2 from the second tile. In arcade rules 2.0, you can get up to 6 treasure cards if you open all 3 chests, plus 1 for the miniboss, plus one for everytime you trade in 6 loot cards. Heroes aren't restricted to only one treasure card each anymore either.

Last edited by Holy Cross on February 5th, 2018, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2018, 2:11 am
Denizen

eternaldream wrote:
Doesn't the Rogue have the Luck keyword? I believe that means you draw an extra Treasure but discard one. Were you drawing amd keeping both I wonder?

Yes, and that's how I played it. I misspoke when I made that post. It was late and I was half asleep >_<

I had 3 treasure cards in the first turn. I drew five total (2 from the first tile, returning one to reshuffle and 3 from the second tile, returning 1 for reshuffle)

On a side note, Roxor 2.0 is ready for the next play test.

February 5th, 2018, 2:17 am
Ninja Corps

unless they changed it drastically from the beta to the release, you draw a number of treasure equal to that treasures board, but you only keep one. with luck adding one to the amount you draw (increasing the possibility of a good treasure and the possibility of a trap/boobooty as well). You still only get 1 treasure per chest. Unless, like I said, they drastically changed that rule between the versions.

Edit/update: I went and found the arcade rules preview and looked this in particular up. On page 18 under support actions, it specifies that you keep one treasure and discard the rest (with rules for boo booty and what not). So, I think you may have just been confused on that one. I'm happy to hear they didn't change it. that would be way too much treasure!

February 5th, 2018, 8:16 am
Denizen

Ok, I missed that. I just rechecked the rules too. You’re right. I was only discarding the extra one from the Rogue’s luck ability. I’ll remember that for next game. I actually prefer that as it adds more decisions/challenge to the game.

I still like the Rogue’s ability to nab chests and reach spawn points fast.

Ok, starting playtest 4.... using the right rules for treasure chests this time >_<

February 5th, 2018, 4:38 pm
Denizen

Ok, playtest 4 is done. I got the treasure rules right this time too... (thanks Usagi. I haven't played any of the Beta rules, so I just recently digested a whole new rule set all at once and missed a few things)

Here are the highlights:

I've got space efficiency down to a science. The whole setup fits on my coffee table now.

The game was brutal. I lost all my princess coins by the time the mini-boss was defeated.

Scruffy helped, as best he could.

I was able to rally and fight my way to Roxor, despite a few close calls. However the plot card, challenge cards, and Roxor's onslaughts were too much for my Royal Paladin to bear. He tanked like a champ for a couple of turns... before he fell without any princess coins to revive him.

Here were my final loadouts when the game came to an end. Definitely more challenging when I'm using the treasure mechanic correctly :P

Here's what I'm consistently seeing from the new Arcade Mode:
-Game time is 2 hours +/- which feels like just the right amount of time for a dungeon delve
-Difficulty is brutal but not impossible. While the game punished me for making mistakes, I could immediately look back and see a better decision that I could have made.
-Loot and treasure do not get stale at any time. In fact everything is very tightly paced.

February 6th, 2018, 5:40 am
Mini-Boss

Nice one! I find that tile design plays a much larger part in Arcade Mode. Your second tile was literally the worst you could have picked, because of the narrow hallways. You want tiles that are large and open so you can better control monsters with Wrath. A turn spent not moving forward is a wasted turn I've found.

February 10th, 2018, 1:33 am
Denizen

eternaldream wrote:
Nice one! I find that tile design plays a much larger part in Arcade Mode. Your second tile was literally the worst you could have picked, because of the narrow hallways. You want tiles that are large and open so you can better control monsters with Wrath. A turn spent not moving forward is a wasted turn I've found.

Yup, that tile is horrible haha! Playthrough 5 I rolled the Heart/Potion during setup so it was flipped over and what do know, I beat Roxor with a coin to spare! I did make some critical tactical errors in playthrough #4 though.

February 10th, 2018, 3:07 am
Bottle Cap

Very recently got interested in the game a few weeks ago due to a friend posting up painted minis of the game. But anyhow, I've been following the updates and lurking on here frequently trying to grasp the rules since things have been a little jumbled up from searches. And printing everything out will help a lot while playing.

I plan on printing out the PDFs for the rules/cards and Arcade sounds REALLY interesting to play. I am curious, will the cards print out as standard playing card sizes (2.5"-3.5") or are they slightly bigger? I do plan on using card stock for the cards/mats. Thanks!

P.S. really hoping I can hop on a super late pledge, don't really mind if the game has even more of a while to be released, have a lot of stuff to play with in the meantime!

February 10th, 2018, 4:52 am
Denizen

GoldenAegis wrote:
I plan on printing out the PDFs for the rules/cards and Arcade sounds REALLY interesting to play. I am curious, will the cards print out as standard playing card sizes (2.5"-3.5") or are they slightly bigger? I do plan on using card stock for the cards/mats. Thanks!

The cards came out at about standard card size for me.

Welcome aboard btw!

February 11th, 2018, 7:10 am
Bottle Cap

Thank You! Just finished painting up all of the forgotten king set plus a few random heroes/mini bosses. :D Got myself and my play group really excited to get dice rolling!

February 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm
Denizen

GoldenAegis wrote:
Thank You! Just finished painting up all of the forgotten king set plus a few random heroes/mini bosses. :D Got myself and my play group really excited to get dice rolling!

Awesome! I’d love to hear how the games play out for you guys!

February 12th, 2018, 4:38 pm
Mini-Boss

Glad to hear that people are still getting into the game. Welcome to the addiction. Haha.

Right now I finally have started painting up the Fire Flower creeps from the Dragonback Tileset. So awesome! I was going to try some
Pet Parade so I can use them. Has anyone tried the rules since we got them finalized? Last time when playtesting, I felt the pet rules were a bit too clunky and slowed the game down.

February 12th, 2018, 6:28 pm
Ninja Corps

eternaldream wrote:
Glad to hear that people are still getting into the game. Welcome to the addiction. Haha.

Right now I finally have started painting up the Fire Flower creeps from the Dragonback Tileset. So awesome! I was going to try some
Pet Parade so I can use them. Has anyone tried the rules since we got them finalized? Last time when playtesting, I felt the pet rules were a bit too clunky and slowed the game down.

By their nature they will always slow the game down. You can't add more elements and more rules to speed things up.

From what I Remember of the latest incarnation of the rules, I can take or leave them. I mean that in the most literal and non negative sense though. There will simply be times I could want to play with them, and times I wouldn't. I remember them working well for what they are and hitting the goals for what needed to be hit. Individual groups may end up house ruling various things to their taste. I'm not sure what the final iteration of the rules will be but I remember some pets being on the "always take" side of the equation. That will hopefully be fixed. Or that will be one of the things to house rule tweak per individual group.

Overall, to me at least, it's really a mood of the moment expansion. I's easy to include or exclude. There is very little component integration when you include it, so it's not hard to weed those bits out if you don't want to use them in the next game. But, it will inevitably slow things down just because there is more going on. Can't really avoid that.

February 12th, 2018, 7:14 pm
Denizen

eternaldream wrote:

I definitely want to hear how Pet Parade plays out! Please post the highlights here if you have time!

February 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm
Mini-Boss

When I played, I never even bothered with pets. I needed all the Loot I could get for my heroes, so I never summoned anything. Plus it was hard to keep track of Wrath on pets as well. I think it would be better to just make it so the pet's master always gains Wrath, so pets will never be targeted by monsters directly (only by AOE attacks). I liked having the Creeps included in plots and such though.

February 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm
Mini-Boss

eternaldream wrote:
When I played, I never even bothered with pets. I needed all the Loot I could get for my heroes, so I never summoned anything. Plus it was hard to keep track of Wrath on pets as well. I think it would be better to just make it so the pet's master always gains Wrath, so pets will never be targeted by monsters directly (only by AOE attacks). I liked having the Creeps included in plots and such though.

There are a couple of ways in which you could still include Creeps:

1) every time the Consul rolls a hit with a potion, (remember the attack has to land, it cannot be defended) then the get one creep for every potion.

2) you can seed Explore cards into the loot deck. Every five cards, or so, you can have an Explore card in there, and that way the creeps (and explore cards) can still be utilized.

February 13th, 2018, 5:30 am
Denizen

Here are the highlights and insights from battle report #7.

I started tile #1 with the Royal Paladin, Ember Mage, Hearthsworn Fighter and Glimmerdusk Ranger.

In one turn the Paladin and Dwarf were able to neutralize the first tile. The Heathsworn Fighter's ability to make area attacks for (1) action point is clutch, especially since it circumvents elite models from pawning wounds off on their minion models.

Second tile put up a decent fight..

...as did tile 3.

February 13th, 2018, 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next