View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 16th, 2018, 8:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Denizen

Here's my Arcade playthough #10. It was a particularly brutal playthrough and I'll definitely be replaying it.

Here are the key changes and observations upfront:

-I replaced the Salt Pillar with the Fungal Growth spawn point. The Okoshroom is very durable and didn't die once the entire game. This spawning point seems focused on delaying the heroes (vice killing them outright), keeping them tied to one tile while the bosses loom ever closer.

-I played two hard mode cards (shown in the pictures below). I love the extra challenge they add. I will probably use those same cards next playthrough rather than dealing them randomly

-Without the Salt Pillar serving as 'loot pinata' my 2 Dex characters (Kaelly and Glimmerdusk) were competing over a limited selection of DEX loot/treasure, while tossing out a lot of STR cards after the Paladin maxed out. In a 4 person party it seems the optimal composition is STR, STR, WILL, DEX. I remember this was true in SDE 1.0 as well. I plan to embrace this challenge though and keep the same party composition for one more playthough before swapping Kaelly out for another STR character (Silver Chevalier maybe?)

The two hard mode cards definitely kept the heroes busy.

Here's the overall setup ...and Scruffy.

The undead army of Von Drakk shambles forth in a tide of bones.

The Royal Paladin holds off Succubus Vandella while the rest of the party pushes to gain valuable ground on tile 2. The 'Holy' attribute was vital in allowing him to smite the vile demon. (re-rolling a single dice can save all but the whiffiest of whiffs)

Holy re-rolls weren't enough to save him from the Death Spectre though. Getting 'Forgotten by the Goddess' as the plot card didn't help either (prevents heroes from healing)

The Royal Paladin respawns, and is chased down by the Death Spectre while the other heroes struggle to stem the tides of undead.

Death Spectre finally falls after depleting the party's princess coins (Soul Scythe is no joke :shock: ), and the turn 11 'Epic Fight' (combined with 'Forgotten by the Goddess') proves too much for the party, who fall before Von Drakk even rouses from his deathly slumber.

February 24th, 2018, 7:25 pm
Mini-Boss

@Raven (once she gets forum access), AOE bypasses expendable and Ember Mage does fire on all her attacks already so (assuming the Ember Mage didn't miss), she could've just used the wave attack to both wound and set the Mage on Fire. The wound inflicted by Fire during the Consul upkeep is still expendable, though, but mobs that perish via Fire do not go to the Loot Tracker. So Fire is powerful in that it often nets extra wounds without extra rolls/actions, but the tradeoff is that if the Heroes don't get the finishing blow, they don't get loot!

And yes, whiffing on critical AOE attacks is very painful (and the norm) in the beginning. Sometimes I swear my dice are loaded (in a bad way), but I have a ton of SDE dice, so I just grab another handful to use.

For the initial spawn placement, I have been playing that spawn points count as a 'monster' for mob adjacency, so I'm not sure that placement is appropriate. Often Burst and Wave don't get such good targets on the first turn.

I would recommend taking Hearthsworn Fighter for the cheap Cleave Sweep 1 AOE next time b/c Sparkleburst and Fire Wave would usually hit about the same # of targets, but Cleave is less punishing if you miss!

I'm glad y'all had fun despite having a tough go! But sometimes that's part of the fun to see how far you can make it despite the odds.

February 25th, 2018, 1:22 am
Mini-Boss

I haven't figured out how to reduce the size of images on my phone, so for now, I can link to the photos I took at the end: SDE Arcade 2.0 Caverns of Roxor

I finished my third playthrough with Dark Centurion, Princess Ruby, Deeproot Scout, and Starguild Sapper vs. Lava Whirl, Turtles, Rockgut, and Rockin' Roxor. I'm not sure what happened, but this game took 3+ hours despite me not taking any breaks and only missing a few rules.

The plan was to use Dark Centurion as a Dex Blaster /w Fire vs. the Turtles and soak Fire attacks from Lava Whirl Mobs with his immunity. Deeproot Scout and Starguild Sapper would get geared /w STR gear to utilize their corresponding AOE attacks/pots and could use Dark Centurion's pot to clump mobs for AOE. Ruby was on support to buff the Scout and Sapper so their AOEs would stand a better chance against the high armor of the turtles and give a better chance at Critical Success to chip away at their health w/o losing loot to Fire. Scout potion and Ruby's Regenerate would keep the heroes going/fend off fire. My primary goal was to manage the mobs successfully to efficiently reduce the number of mobs that spawned through the Spawn and Reinforce Consul commands while building sufficient gear to blast/survive Roxor's attrition. I also planned to not equip any +ARM gear due to its low effectiveness and instead trade them in for treasure (I did equip 1 treasure at the end b/c I didn't have enough loot to trade for more treasure).

Since it was Caverns, I decided to use Easy Mode to Prepare for the Dungeon. I was somehow unable to draw any +WILL gear, but I did get minor +STR and +DEX gear. I also changed Roxor's Signature Action to a Unique Action to be on par with the Arcade 2.0 preview Bosses.

First tile was Lava Whirl and Star Guild Sapper was successful in using the Dark Centurion Potion to clump all the mobs onto the spawn point and AOE them with a Critical Success. Scout followed up with his own AOE and the Sapper's pot to finish off the spawn point and mini gels. Dark Centurion blasted the Beetle while Ruby picked up the first tile treasure. Due to the Critical Success AOE, the majority of the Lava Whirl mobs never got a chance to attack and despite getting primarily +ARM gear, I was able to completely outfit the Centurion in +Dex gear and he was in position to Blast turtles moving into the second tile. The starting loot was essential in setting up a clean first tile. The Plot was to gather three crystals, (two on Tile 2, one on Tile 3), which would trigger the monsters to Fight during the Hero turn, so this fed into the strategy to coordinate Mob population control while sending out heroes to pick up the crystals when it'd minimize retaliation.

The Second tile was where the meat of the game took place as Turtles have an excessive # of wounds (20 wounds) compared to Kobolds (13 wounds) so I basically ignored the Crusher gang when Reinforce was coming up and focused on only killing the minions prior to the Spawn command since Reinforce would respawn the minions and they're not worth the loot they provide for the actions you use up since Spawn spreads them too thin for efficient AOE and Spawn does not spawn minions for Elites on the board and just heals them. Because there were situations where attacking the mobs would only be helpful for hearts or pots, I was able to successfully retrieve the first and second Plot crystals and only taking a few wounds as the second spawn was in an awkward position in the far back corner in a room so I was able to range/LOS attacks.

Unlike previous matches, due to the location of the second spawn and the resiliency of the turtles, Rockgut spawned on MMC 5. I basically ignored him as I needed to focus on managing the turtles for each MMC and was successful in avoiding excessive turtles spawning and got down to the Crusher, Cannon Turtles, and Rockgut when Reinforce came around. The Dark Centurion was able to blast Rockgut in a single activation with the help of the Scout's +1 action potion.

MMC 9 would definitely be the 'twist' in the match. The heroes had managed to maintain control of the board, defeat the mini-boss, only had 3 turtle elites and 2 spawn points left, were in position to pick up the last Plot crystal, and were decently geared. They had just picked up the third treasure and with the loot from MMC8 so the Dark Centurion and Princess Ruby were in position to Blast Roxor and Sapper and Scout had sufficient gear to wound Roxor's 'Fire' form. Then disaster struck. MMC 9 Challenge caused the heroes to discard equipment that matched the loot deck, which involved losing half our treasure so Dark Centurion and Ruby were no longer in position to consistently Blast Roxor and both Sapper and Scout would have no chance against Roxor's 'Rock' form.

Still, the Heroes had plenty of princess coins and could potentially weather a battle of attrition by managing their position to avoid Roxor's AOE and moved forward with the plan. The third spawn point along with defeating the cannon turtles with a lucky critical success AOE yielded enough loot to trade in for a treasure and give the Sapper and Scout 'a hat' to share using Ruby's potion. The treasure was unfortunately +ARM, so the Sapper wore it as the heroes wouldn't be able to accrue enough loot due to lack of mobs to use it to turn in for a different treasure.

And so Rock Roxor spawned and the heroes were successful in keeping him isolated to the third tile in range of only the Dark Centurion and Sapper. Roxor was able to almost kill a hero every activation and Ruby did her best to Regenerate and buff her party while the Scout used his Itty Bitty wings for hit and run attacks (which were mostly ineffective). The heroes were only able to put a few wounds on Roxor as most of his boss challenges boosted his AMR to a ridiculous 6 AMR and lacked any Green dice. The heroes became heart and potion starved and it was not uncommon for a heroes entire activation to fail to wound Roxor. Then....it snowed. Underground. In the Caverns. The Heroes were frozen with Ice by the Boss Challenge, rendering the Dark Centurion and Ruby powerless. The Scout struggled to land hits on Roxor to pop hearts to heal his party, but was only able to pop enough hearts to unfreeze the Centurion who was woefully weak against Ice.

Then something shifted in Roxor and he burst into his Fire form and immediately incinerated the Dark Centurion. Despite the demise of their comrade, the heroes finally had a chance! With Ruby's buffs on the Sapper, he was able to land a Critical Success on Roxor. He tossed his Dwarven Helm to the Scout and he too was able to wound Roxor's Fire form. Then...Roxor disappeared. He had planned a secret escape and reverted back to Rock form (just around the corner on the second tile). The heroes pursued and the Sapper was able to land a single blow onto Roxor that popped a pot for the Scout. Then Lava Whirl mobs began to spawn and surrounded the Sapper. The heroes paled, but steeled themselves to hold out for the Dark Centurion's return.

The Dark Centurion re-entered the game by Ruby confronted by the newly spawned Lava Whirl Mobs. The Fire gels were too far to farm for loot and the heroes barely had Princess Coins left. One bad turn and the heroes would lose. Roxor only had 3 wounds left...and 6 ARM. If the Dark Centurion rolled perfectly, he could end this now. His first two javelins sang true and found the chinks in Roxor's Rock armor. His third, was deflected. He scanned his allies' for any last hope and the Scout tossed him his last pot. Make it count! The Dark Centurion threw one final javelin and pierced Roxor's rocky heart.

The Heroes were victorious! Barely, on Easy Mode.

==========================
Things I forgot:
-Again. Forgot to roll Treasure when completing the Plot.
-Forgot when Roxor changes forms, he is not immune to all status effects, but he also causes Fire. I had access to Poison and Knockdown, so theoretically I could've saved myself some wounds, but figure it evened out with the ones I would've gotten from Fire
-Forgot to use Ruby's sidestep the one time she was attacked (and saved against Rotgut's Lance 8)

=================
Observations:
-Lava Whirl and Turtles did not pack as much punch as I thought they would as they are relatively weak offensively, but make up for it by being resilient and Heroes don't get loot unless they die. I had very good rolls early on due to Easy Mode
-Challenge that destroys equip feels overtuned. Having every hero lose equip in a slot is devastating mid and late game as there is limited sources for equipment and losing treasure can be a death sentence if the heroes were not lucky getting offensive equip earlier in the game. I was (again) primarily getting duplicate loot and +ARM and trading it for mediocre treasures. At the same time, this is part of what made the game a bit more exciting and I did somehow manage to win with some luck, but it did cause the game to get super dragged out.
-I have somehow avoided drawing any Boo Booties in three matches. Not looking forward to when this happens.
-Rockgut felt relatively weak (he was the last mob to face the full force of Dark Centurion's Green die). His strength is when the heroes can't defeat him in a single activation, but given his average armor and low offense, the heroes can usually ignore him until they are in a position to defeat him in a single turn. The elites with MMC +1 STR were more dangerous than Rockgut.
-Lava Whirl Gels are loot pinatas, but sometimes the pinata has bad candy :(.
-Turtles actually felt relatively balanced. The Crusher minions were easy to take out and having 6 minions means 2 loot and it'd reduce the Crusher to low range and one action. Of course if I had bad rolls, I may disagree with this, but unless you have really bad luck...they're doable, although I'd never want to deal with them on Tile 1 before I have some equip.
-I specifically took Dark Centurion and built him on Dex despite his weakness to Ice b/c the Roxor mobs don't have access to Ice. The irony of the Boss Challenge at Icing the heroes...
-Ruby felt significantly weaker compared to when I used to use her in Explore 1.0. My party definitely would've failed without her Regenerate, but the +1 B STR buff felt relatively weak and since she was buffing and healing, she wasn't generating Wrath to utilize her sidestep. I had such bad loot luck with her she only had 4B WILL for most of the game and by the time she got 1R7B WILL, the dice were too swingy to wound 6 ARM Roxor (he got a lot of +1 ARM Boss Challenges :().
-I spent a LOT of time positioning and strategizing so I was successful in controling the board, which I'm happy with given I was worried I would just get overwhelmed and just die when the Mini-boss came out.
-Epic fight always seems to kill at least one of my heroes, even if they're full health
-ARM gear still feels like trash. There are a lot of Challenges that force the heroes to use a non-ARM stat so it makes more sense to build glass cannons that can get hearts and pots and survive those challenges than an ARM hero that'll just get chewed up on that challenge. Since heroes can't activate until every other hero activates, you're limited in how you can respond the following hero activation to one of these challenges in terms of controlling wrath, especially if you don't have pots to slurp potions. The fastest way to reset wrath I've found is to just let the hero die =P.
-I'm both happy and sad there aren't shells in Arcade Turtles.
-Deeproot Scout's Boomerang doesn't feel worth it to anymore to spend an entire hero activation (3) to get a treasure chest and open it.
-Arch Wizard's Robes Treasure is very underwhelming. 2B WILL and Mastery...is Mastery ever useful for a WILL character? Usually you bring one WILL character and usually the other actions you can take use different stats (at least this was the case for this match). Using Star Shine could've been useful, but Ruby never got sufficient Wrath to be targeted by anything that wasn't AOE.
-I never used POW on the Sapper. The one time I had the opportunity to, Boss Challenge made the Roxor Immune to Critical Success and Massive Damage.
-Arcade Mobs with unique actions like Lance are a bit awkward. Since range is diagonal, they can be manipulated to stop movement in a position where their unique action has no effect or a lesser effect. I get why almost all the Arcade 2.0 bosses just use Wave attacks for unique actions.
-For the majority of the game, my Sapper and Scout only had one +STR offensive loot. Ruby was stuck giving them +1B so they could consistently land attacks b/c she couldn't. This was gear I got from Easy Mode, so I shudder to think what would happen with out Easy Mode. The loot I got from Easy Mode basically got destroyed by the equipment challenge -- else, Roxor would not have been a challenge.
-I think this was a much more 'balanced' party compared to the one I ran for the first two runthroughs. There are plenty of heroes with better baseline stats and abilities, but I think used these to their strengths. Without the Centurion, I don't think they would've made it (kind of how Caverns of Roxor in SDE 1.0 would go for us using the included heroes).
-I still haven't had a game make it to MMC10 b/c I do everything I can to avoid that last Spawn. Since that last Spawn has +1ARM and MMC11 Epic Fight, I wonder if any of my parties did make it to MMC 10+ if they'd just lose more princess coins before the Dungeon Boss spawned, making it a closer fight, or if they'd NEED those extra mobs available to get more loot/treasure to prep for the dungeon boss and/or needing to have them around to pop hearts/pots. Fighting Roxor in Rock Form w/o anything to get hearts or pots with was very punishing b/c everytime you'd roll some, you wouldn't get enough stars to hurt Roxor. I had 2 princess coins left. 1 lost in Epic fight and 2 lost to Roxor. Assuming I lost 1 to MMC11 Epic fight...well, that last spawn being a linked spawn I think is where it gets me. Plan to play 3 single spawns for next walkthrough and see how that works. FK spawns are up next :3.

=================
Questions:
1) I can't figure out what Roxor's 'base form' is. I just had him spawn as Rock Form b/c that's what was on top.
2) This was my first match with a lot of 'rooms' in the tiles, which greatly limited where I could spawn elites and still have them be in LOS of the spawn point. Do y'all consider the spawn point to be adjacent to another monster for spawning? I have been counting it as a monster and thus will always attempt to spawn monsters away from it, but the situation in Tile 2 w/ the spawn in the corner room almost made it impossible to spawn all the elites in LOS of the spawn point and not be adjacent to another monster.
3) When y'all move a gang with a ton of minions (Crusher gang), when the elite finishes movement, do you slingshot the minions in the back to the front as close to the heroes as possible (this is what I do b/c it's thematic in my mind that they want to fight and protect their elite), so do you move them more organically and have them spread out behind the crusher (and thus the ones that are adjacent are the ones in the back alongside the ones that were still bonded?). I figure everyone 'can' play this the way they 'want' and can min/max their position to be vulnerable to AOE or avoid it as desired.
4) The Crusher had a large base so often when he moved to be in range, there was a model in the way (like a hero he can squeeze by, but not finish his move on). My understanding is that the Crusher keeps moving towards the hero with most wrath until he's in range AND he can legally be there. Else, he has to move away and go around whatever path is available. So if no path is available (hero or other mobs blocks the path), then I assume they just sit there and then attack whoever's in range with the highest wrath.

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on March 12th, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

February 25th, 2018, 10:07 am
Mini-Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
=================
Questions:
1) I can't figure out what Roxor's 'base form' is. I just had him spawn as Rock Form b/c that's what was on top.

Under a models name, the card will tell you it's Race and Type, i.e. Human Hero, Nether Elf Mini-boss, etc.
The shapeshift form will just have Shapshift. For example:

February 25th, 2018, 3:22 pm
Mini-Boss

Derp::facepalm:: thanks. I was looking in the middle where it said shapeshifter and never thought to look at the top. Thank you!

February 25th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
2) This was my first match with a lot of 'rooms' in the tiles, which greatly limited where I could spawn elites and still have them be in LOS of the spawn point. Do y'all consider the spawn point to be adjacent to another monster for spawning? I have been counting it as a monster and thus will always attempt to spawn monsters away from it, but the situation in Tile 2 w/ the spawn in the corner room almost made it impossible to spawn all the elites in LOS of the spawn point and not be adjacent to another monster.

Spawn points don't count as monsters so spawning monsters next to the Spawn point is fair game.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
3) When y'all move a gang with a ton of minions (Crusher gang), when the elite finishes movement, do you slingshot the minions in the back to the front as close to the heroes as possible (this is what I do b/c it's thematic in my mind that they want to fight and protect their elite), so do you move them more organically and have them spread out behind the crusher (and thus the ones that are adjacent are the ones in the back alongside the ones that were still bonded?). I figure everyone 'can' play this the way they 'want' and can min/max their position to be vulnerable to AOE or avoid it as desired.

I think this one is entirely up to the player, which I like. I tend to circle the elite with some slingshotting, and others following in trace.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
4) The Crusher had a large base so often when he moved to be in range, there was a model in the way (like a hero he can squeeze by, but not finish his move on). My understanding is that the Crusher keeps moving towards the hero with most wrath until he's in range AND he can legally be there. Else, he has to move away and go around whatever path is available. So if no path is available (hero or other mobs blocks the path), then I assume they just sit there and then attack whoever's in range with the highest wrath.

There's an example turn on page 34 of the arcade rules that covers a similar scenario. I'd say give it a read and if you're still unsure we can discuss it.

The way I read it, if the solo/elite monster cannot get in range and/or LoS, they get as close as they can to the target hero during movement, then attack a hero within range/LoS who has the next most amount of wrath (using the usual tiebreaker rules of multiple heroes have equal/no wrath). This could result in the monster just sitting in place, so long as there isn't an available placement that puts him closer to the target hero.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
He tossed his Dwarven Helm to the Scout and he too was able to wound Roxor's Fire form.

I'm fairly sure this was a rules mistake too. Once a piece of gear is equipped the hero can only discard it. NBD, I've made my fair share of mistakes and learned from you guys. If I'm wrong about this, please someone keep me honest.

Otherwise, a very thorough and detailed battle report :)

February 25th, 2018, 6:16 pm
Mini-Boss

Spawn points allowing adjacent placement makes a lot more sense now. I was thinking the rules were super conservative and forced all the elites to spawn in back but with that in consideration I hunk it’ll feel much better when I use linked spawns in the future.

You’re right I misplayed it. Ruby’s pot allows exchange of equip not moving equip. I can’t remember if that one star made a difference but it’s moot now.

February 25th, 2018, 7:20 pm
Mini-Boss

For 4) it’s more would the elite continue to move closer to the hero or stay at max range to get a legal stopping spot. I played moves closer if possible. The reason it mattered in this match was that it decided whether the crusher would block the tile doorway or not.

February 25th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
For 4) it’s more would the elite continue to move closer to the hero or stay at max range to get a legal stopping spot. I played moves closer if possible. The reason it mattered in this match was that it decided whether the crusher would block the tile doorway or not.

Based on what you’re saying you played it right. Monster will get as close as possible to target hero during movement (assuming he can’t get range/LoS).

I wasn’t aware of Princess Ruby’s ability. I’ll have to dig into the wording when I get home. You might’ve played that right after all. I thought you just swapped the gear out cold turkey.

February 25th, 2018, 8:34 pm
Mini-Boss

Princess Ruby Blue Pot: Dress-up Draught: Choose two Heroes, they may exchange one piece of equipment.

Now that I re-read it, it depends on what exchange means, whether one piece of equipment refers to the specific slot, or literally one piece of equipment, and the conditions under which it may be used. I had always assumed if both heroes had equipment, they could swap, even if the pieces are for different slots, AND it allowed a hero to give a piece of equipment to another hero and not receive one in return.

February 25th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Mini-Boss

Alright, here is the battle report of my latest game.

Dungeon Boss - Roxor
Mini-Boss - Rockgut
Spawn points - Rock Pile, Lava Whirl
Creeps - none
Heroes - Outcast Succubus, Bashful Boris, Trent (their hero versions, of course!)

After getting some feedback on my setup, I did it properly and got started. The succubus had convinced the mini-bosses of the forests that they should seek to overthrow Roxor; that it had been Roxor that had hired the kobolds to attack and kill the Forgotten King. Trent and Boris took up arms and joined the succubus to exact revenge on Roxor.

As they entered the dungeon, the succubus decided to kick off the heroes turn and for her first action, flew forward and opened the treasure chest on the first tile. The chest gave what was to be the most important thing item in the game. I cannot recall the name off hand, but it was the sword which gave +1 Green ARM and made it so that no monster could target anybody who was adjacent to the bearer of this sword. This was given to Trent, who had the best ARM and the highest wounds, What this meant, is that much of the time, the party would huddle around Trent and let him take the brunt of the attacks.

Disaster threatened to ruin the sword that Trent had been granted as the plot card was the Curse of Decay which meant that on every Consul turn there was a chance to lose any treasure and loot that had been gathered. Trent quickly gathered the necessary token to prevent losing his item, and then the Succubus raced through the dungeon gathering the last tokens in an attempt to prevent losing any gathered loot.

Once the tokens were gathered, and the threat removed, the heros concentrated on gaining a foothold on the hordes of minions. Trent and Boris concentrated their attacks and took down Rockgut.

Trent\s Overgrowth attack was doing wonders on the hordes of Roxor's minions (wave attacks with a large base are pretty amazing! In the end there was not much left when Roxor came to see who was making so much trouble for him.

Fighting Roxor gave me the motivation to paint my Arcadia Quest lava boss who makes a great model for Rockin' Roxor. I must say, I like how the shapeshift did work out here, with Roxor changing form a few times through the battle. But the invaders were too well prepared and Roxor went down without too much of a great fight.

Overall I think I got the rules more correct this time. Even with the sword, things were looking a bit dicey at times, but in the end, I managed to beat Roxor having only spent one Princess Coin. Perhaps next time, I will try some of those Difficulty cards

Last edited by Spazzfist on February 26th, 2018, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 26th, 2018, 12:43 am
Mini-Boss

It's Von Hulf's Sword from Iron Golem Mini-boss. +1 Green ARM, grants Defender. This is also the first case I've seen when +ARM made sense :). Treant also has ridiculously good ARM to start with, too.

What's your take been b/w 3 heroes vs 4 heroes. I still feel 4 heroes 'feels' better, at least to start, but I've also often had at least 1 hero's contribution somewhat minimized...usually due to bad loot/treasure draws.

February 26th, 2018, 2:35 am
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Princess Ruby Blue Pot: Dress-up Draught: Choose two Heroes, they may exchange one piece of equipment.

Now that I re-read it, it depends on what exchange means, whether one piece of equipment refers to the specific slot, or literally one piece of equipment, and the conditions under which it may be used. I had always assumed if both heroes had equipment, they could swap, even if the pieces are for different slots, AND it allowed a hero to give a piece of equipment to another hero and not receive one in return.

I think you played it right based on how the ability reads.

February 26th, 2018, 2:53 am
Denizen

Nice battle report Spazzfist! I like the Dark Hero theme you’ve been fielding!

February 26th, 2018, 3:00 am
Mini-Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
What's your take been b/w 3 heroes vs 4 heroes. I still feel 4 heroes 'feels' better, at least to start, but I've also often had at least 1 hero's contribution somewhat minimized...usually due to bad loot/treasure draws.

I have only played 3 hero games. To me that has always been the sweet spot. I feel like four may be too many and drag the game down. But I suppose I should stop being unfairly biased, and actually try it!

February 26th, 2018, 3:19 am
Mini-Boss

Holy Cross wrote:
Nice battle report Spazzfist! I like the Dark Hero theme you’ve been fielding!

Thanks. There's still more to come! Still some "bad guy" heroes that I have not played yet.

February 26th, 2018, 3:19 am
Ninja Corps

Really like the screenshots, helps me see how epic a painted tabletop can look! I've got both Roxor boxes, and now I REALLY want to paint!

February 26th, 2018, 4:06 am
Denizen

Meankeb wrote:
Really like the screenshots, helps me see how epic a painted tabletop can look! I've got both Roxor boxes, and now I REALLY want to paint!

Thanks! I’d love to see what you come up with!

February 26th, 2018, 10:47 pm
Denizen

Here's my 12th battle report. It was fun but punishing, with the heroes falling on turn 9. I maintained the same setup at last game to include the same two hard mode cards (two tiles start spawned instead of one, and a second miniboss shows up on turn 8). Arcade mode is still a blast, and failing only makes me want to play again and do better next time!

Here are my observations from this playthrough:

-When playing with hard mode cards and solid enemies, a STR, DEX, DEX, WILL party build is going to struggle. (STR, STR, WILL, DEX should fare much better)
-Glimmerdusk Ranger and Ember Mage don't produce enough AoE to handle the hoards at this difficulty level. Kaelly is going to be swapped out for the Twilight Knight next game. (She has a cheap lance 2 AoE and is a STR character)
-Vandella's natural defense of 4W makes her very sturdy. Especially if your heroes aren't as decked out as you'd like them to be.
-Death Spectre's Soul Scythe continues to be brutal, potentially insta-killing a hero in a single hit.
-The Okoshroom remains a durable foe. He didn't die once this game. I had to prioritize other monsters.
-Overall this is a fun and solid setup. I plan to play it at least a couple more times before the party ventures to Fae Woods.

With two tiles immediately Spawned, the Heroes leap directly into the fray.

Fighting off Succubus Vandella, while gaining ground proves to be a tricky balance.

The Death Spectre draws near and Vandella fights on.

A lucky shot from the Glimmerdusk Ranger sees the Death Spectre banished, for now...

The Dark Consul's minions swarm, proving too much for the heroes.

And on turn 9 it ends, with Von Drakk barely bothered to leave his coffin.

Meanwhile a shady figure seems to be lurking among the moors.

March 2nd, 2018, 3:51 am
Mini-Boss

Great playthrough! I think Hearthsworn Fighter and Twilight Knight are the only heroes with unique actions that do AOE and cost 1 action point (can't think of another). I personally thought the Twilight Knight is underpowered compared to Hearthsworn Fighter, but I think we've established Hearthsworn Fighter might be a bit too amazing on the power scale to need further playtesting ;).

I'm sure you are aware, but Twilight Knight's potion has been updated to destroy Boo Booties instead of Traps based on the new release/card on Twitter.

I've been building spreadsheets for all the Heroes, Arcade Gangs, and Dice Odds to help me gauge relative strength (minus mechanics, of course). It's been eye opening comparing the current spawns to the upcoming spawns and the alternate profiles for spawns. Once SDE Legends Wave 1 and Wave 2 are in hand, there'll be access to 30 Spawn points o.O. I think we'll have 87 heroes after all the current crossovers, etc. are released, but of course, there are a bunch of duplicates in there like the NPC Heroes.

One thing that still gets me about Arcade, going through all the old cards, is that they all have Surefoot and thus they'll stand in lava, poison, etc. and realized that greatly weakens control Heroes that could previously compel/push/pull mobs into tile effects (usually fire) and unless it's an AOE control ability, their action is generally better used on something else rather than setup for AOE.

I also realized that I had been playing elite gangs wrong! For whatever reason, I was only having one elite instead of both elites perform their basic and unique actions. I don't think it'd seriously change any of my matches, but still is was jarring to realize I'd been missing half their attacks. I realized this as I was comparing stats and thinking 'there's no way elite gangs are this weak...oh, that's b/c they aren't ^^;;'

How have y'all been playing status effects like Bane and Hex? Do you do what the card(s) say and the monsters get -1STR/ARM and heroes reroll a die or just everyone gets -1STR/ARM. I like the latter rule b/c it speeds up play quite a bit without having to reroll a bunch, but it's obviously in the hero's favor unless it allows them to get even more stars, which would typically be lower probability anyways.

March 2nd, 2018, 5:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next