View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 23rd, 2018, 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Denizen

@sleepy_laughter,

I've consulted with Ninja Justin, and he says your interpretation is correct. Effects that specify heroes do not effect pets.

-Ninja Scott

So gloom aura doesn’t affect pets. Another benefit to use pets. Otherwise I think some challenges would just blow them up.

May 5th, 2018, 3:01 am
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
@sleepy_laughter,

I've consulted with Ninja Justin, and he says your interpretation is correct. Effects that specify heroes do not effect pets.

-Ninja Scott

So gloom aura doesn’t affect pets. Another benefit to use pets. Otherwise I think some challenges would just blow them up.

Well. Been playing that wrong then, hahaha.

TBH though, we don't use pets anymore in SDE, they bog down the game and aren't as fun as we'd like them to be.

May 7th, 2018, 11:06 am
Minion

Hey guys,
We just had a game with our newly painted Testudo Tower boss. Although we usually play a 4 hero game we tried it with 6 heroes this time.

Heroes: Sebastian Cross (Tank/ Maneuverability), Tamamo no Mae as the Hidden Shrine Mystic with Feint (Will/AOE), House Cerberus Occultist (Will/Buff/AOE), Princess Emerald (Dex/Heal), Von Wilding (Str) and Cursed Captain (Dex/Luck)
Spawns: Claw Shrine (T1/T2), Rock Pile (T3/T4)
Bosses: Ser Sharpclaw, Succubus Vandella, Testudo Tower
Plot: The Lurking Menace

Turn 1: Von Wilding shapeshifts into his werewolf form and squeezes through the melee, then uses Shag Fest to sweep twice and kill two Claw Trainers. Tamamo no Mae uses Monkey to finish off the Black Claw Assassins and wound a Drake Hound. Sebastian Cross drinks his Rook potion to teleport next to the Claw Shrine and deals it 3 wounds before moving next to the Sentinel statue. As the enemies activate he slurps Tamamo no Mae’s potion to get ahead in wrath points. The last remaining Claw Trainer fails to wound Sebastian Cross.
Turn 2: Princess Emerald shoots a Drake Hound that was in the way and then darts through a secret passage into the 4th tile. The House Cerebus Occultist kills the last Claw Trainer with a Deep Mad Tentattack to prevent them from reinforcing next turn. The Cursed Captain drinks his Treasure Map potion before opening the chest, gaining Radical Sunglasses for the Occultist. The Cursed Captain also kills a Drake Hound. As only minions are left, during the Consul turn they just sit around looking lost.

Turn 3: Von Wilder shapeshifts back into human form and destroys the Claw Shrine, triggering The Lurking Menace plot. He then crits a Drake Hound and dashes through a secret passage to the other side of the tile. Princess Emerald drinks the Ancient’s Inhalation potion to gain Dark Radiance and then destroys the Rock Pile in the 4th tile. This spawns Ser Sharpclaw in the first tile. Sebastian Cross attacks the miniboss with Shattered Sword, dealing two wounds thanks to massive damage. Ser Sharpclaw misses Sebastian Cross with Chomp! Crunch! and then he regroups as the Claw Shrine respawns.

Turn 4: The Occultist casts her Stygian Pact buff and then wounds Ser Sharpclaw. The Cursed Captain also wounds the miniboss before darting away down a secret passage to hide. Tamamo no Mae attacks but leaves Ser Sharpclaw with one heart remaining. He stampedes through the dungeon to attack Von Wilding (due to the Sense Weakness challenge). The Hunter’s Rations potion is not enough to save him and he falls to the kobold onslaught. The Rock Pile on the 3rd tile spawns.

Turn 5: Von Wilding resurrects and kills Ser Sharpclaw, gaining Divine Vestaments for Tamamo no Mae. He throws two Holy Oil potions into the kobolds but misses both. The Occultist moves to get line-of-sight and then uses Rook to teleport into the midst of the kobolds. She uses Gribbly Tentattack to kill all the Claw Trainers and she wounds an Assassin. Tamamo no Mae picks up a crystal plot token and then dashes to get line-of-sight on the stealthed Assassin and finish it off. The Occultist takes two wounds from massive damage as the rocktops advance and Sebastian Cross slurps a potion to regain some wrath.

Turn 6: Princess Emerald drinks the Treasure Map potion and opens the chest in tile 4, gaining an Emerald Crystal Shard for herself. She removes the plot crystal in the 4th tile and dashes towards tile 3. The Cursed Captains pops back into the first tile and kills the last Black Claw Assassin before popping through a different secret passage to position himself next to a crystal token. Sebastian Cross spends his turn dashing into the second tile to gain the rocktops’ attention. He suffers 3 wounds but ignores their knockdown attacks.

Turn 7: We want to prevent the kobolds from respawning so Princess Emerald puts a wound on the Claw Shrine. Tamamo no Mae finishes it off, summoning Succubus Vandella. The Occultist drinks the Treasure Map potion, opens the chest and gains a Sapphire Crystal Shard for Sebastian Cross, then she kills a Drake Hound. The mobs regroup and the second tile rotates due to Biting Winds.

Turn 8: We needed more loot to solve the plot before the boss spawned so Von Wilding shapeshifts and Thrashes some Drake Hounds and Slowpokes. Sebastian Cross uses Rook to teleport and kills a Roller with Shattered Sword. The Cursed Captain picks up a plot crystal and dashes into a better position. Sebastian Cross withstands all attacks against him but Princess Emerald suffers two wounds from the Bombardier in her tile so she drinks her own potion to heal. All of the heroes are hexed due to Terrible Burden and the rocktops reinforce.

Turn 9: The Occultist moves into the middle of the group and casts Posse (from the Radical Sunglasses which also let her walk over the lava!). This cures hex on herself, Sebastian Cross, Von Wilder and the Cursed Captain. She then puts a wound on Succubus Vandella, rolling enough hearts to cure hex on the other two heroes. Princess Emerald banes the miniboss with Scope and wounds her twice, then Tamamo no Mae finishes her off before hiding back in the first tile. She drops a Bat Winged Key for Princess Emerald. Sebastian Cross, the Occultist and Von Wilder suffer a wound and knockdown (except Sebastian) from Turtle Tremor and Sebastian Cross and the Occultist are also wounded by the Turtle Cannon.

Zulu is providing moral support:

Turn 10: Sebastian Cross kills a Roller and Von Wilder sacrifices an action to stand up. He uses Shag Fest twice but misses both. The Cursed Captain sacrifices his movement to stand and he kills a Slowpoke. Sebastian Cross drinks Hunter’s Rations to heal as the Occultist, Cursed Captain, Von Wilder and Tamamo no Maw get knocked down again by Turtle Tremor (aghh!). Von Wilder tries to save Princess Emerald but dies as he’s hit by a Bombardier in tile 3.
Turn 11: Sebastian Cross kills a Roller and positions himself next to a crystal. The Occultist wounds a Bombardier and hides around the corner. Princess Emerald wounds a Roller and opens the chest, gaining Drake Kabob for Von Wilding, then she removes the plot crystal in tile 3. Tamamo no Mae and the Cursed Captain take a wound and are knocked down by Turtle Tremor (ARGH!!). Princess Emerald is knocked down by a Roller and she drinks her own potion to survive the Epic Fight. Then the mobs regroup.
Turn 12: We want to try to stop the gangs from reinforcing this turn so Von Wilding Cracks the Whip to move Tamamo no Mae three times. She’s able to kill the last Roller and a Bombardier. The Cursed Captain sacrifices his movement to stand and kills two Slowpokes. The heroes suffer no wounds during the Consul’s turn and the Bombardiers and Slowpokes reinforce.

Turn 13: We still needed more loot to end the plot so Von Wilding shapeshifts and uses Snakebit Skewer (from Drake Kabob) to lance through more enemies, killing 3 Slowpokes and critting the Crusher. Sebastian Cross kills another Slowpoke and removes the last two plot crystals but we didn’t gain any treasures from resolving the Consul’s plot. Princess Emerald sacrifices her movement to stand up and destroys the last spawning point, summoning Testudo Tower. Princess Emerald suffers two wounds from the Bombardiers and she drinks her potion to heal. All of the kobolds then respawn due to the Faithful Servants challenge (ugh…).

Turn 14: Tamamo no Mae kills both Bombardiers and hides next to the Sentinel statue. The Occultist drinks Ancient’s Inhalation and uses Gribbly Tentattack to kill a Drake Hound, Slowpoke, Claw Trainer and wound the Crusher. The Cursed Captain wounds a Drake Hound and hides. We trade 6 loot for a treasure and unfortunately draw the cursed Fool’s Gold which Princess Emerald is forced to equip. The Occultist and Von Wilder are baned and poisoned by Spiteful Curse and only one hero can activate next turn!
Turn 15: The Occultist uses Gribbly Tentattack to kill two Drake Hounds, a Claw Trainer, an Assassin and wound the Crusher. Von Wilder drinks Hunter’s Rations to survive Testudo Tower’s Shell Shock and he’s pushed backwards into the lava by Blistering Armour. Testudo Tower turns the Occultist into paste (we had been so careful with wrath up until this point, then she overdid it…).

Turn 16: Sebastian Cross kills a Black Claw Assassin. Von Wilder is already on fire so he stands in the lava to lance, killing a Drake Hound, Claw Trainer and putting two wounds on the boss. The Cursed Captain kills the Crusher and retreats. Princess Emerald is able to replace her cursed treasure. Sebastian Cross weathers Testudo Tower’s attacks and then the boss teleports and stealths due to Secret Escape Plan.
Turn 17: Princess Emerald wounds Testudo Tower twice and Tamamo no Mae uses Rook to teleport close enough to wound him 3 times. Von Wilder shapeshifts to human form, drinks Ancient’s Inhalation and kills Testudo Tower.

Afterthoughts:
We didn't end up using the Student ability at all!
Despite the fact that we were playing with 6 heroes and had to trade in 12 loot to remove the plot, we didn't feel loot starved.
We remembered to gather stuff for the campaign this time: 28 Kobold Teeth, 18 Turtle Shells and 1 Testudo Tower Shell Shard.
I have heard that many people ignore the secret passages with Arcade mode, but the hubby vetoed that idea. :P

Facebook
Twitter

May 11th, 2018, 12:28 pm
Denizen

Great battle report! How long did the game go for?

May 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm
Minion

@Holy Cross: It was close to 3 hours in the end

Facebook
Twitter

May 11th, 2018, 12:57 pm
Denizen

@Aella13 wow that was an awesome battle report! And finished in 3 hours is also wow. I also like secret passages b/c they are fun :).

We also didn't find a use for Student when we played with the Tako girls. Just like the Mastery skill from treasure, even with 6 heroes, I feel it's very rare to have a situation where you'd want/need to use it unless someone has a support Heal or Control action you need right away since it still costs action points. There's already a lot of shared actions available via potions so Student is less wow unless you specifically build a party around it (i.e. 3 students + tabbybrook for lots of extra healing).

I especially like that you used a specific NAS model for your affinity hidden shrine mystic!

How did y'all feel about the change from 4 > 6 heroes? We did it so we could have more people playing, but I think y'all do 2 players, right?
3 > 4 spawn points? When I get around to it, I want to see how it plays differently with 4 individual spawn points b/c when those spawn actions hit, like with the boss challenge, it can be so brutal. With 2 paired spawn points, it doesn't necessarily feel like 'more monsters' to me since you still only have 2 types of monsters like in 3-4 hero games.
2 mini bosses? Seem worth it? I wish there were more mini bosses in general, but the 2nd one tends to just get blown up by well equipped heroes even though they usually have both MMC bonuses.
3 > 4 tiles? I find it's an awkward layout unless you do a line, which is also tough to travel. I was thinking of trying the 2x2 layout sometime since that's how we used to play 1.0.

May 11th, 2018, 4:23 pm
Denizen

3 hours is lightning fast for 6 heroes. That’s great!

My dog Scruffy provides in moral support to my games too. :D

May 11th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Denizen

Holy Cross wrote:
3 hours is lightning fast for 6 heroes. That’s great!

My dog Scruffy provides in moral support to my games too. :D

3 hours is the average game time for me and my friends when we do 6 heroes. I don't think its that fast... But then again, as I've stated before, we all used to raid together in World of Warcraft since Vanilla Wow. Soooooo yeah, were pretty organized. hahahaha

May 11th, 2018, 5:05 pm
Denizen

I have had new players almost every game recently *or* some are just not intrinsically 'fast' players, which I think makes for a good baseline.

It's like back when FK was released and folks complained about the time and the SPM folks indicated it didn't take THEM that long to play, but of course, they designed the game....

At least with my current situation, I can expect most of my games will generally be with someone that's new to the game or won't 'know' the rules/game mechanics with the same familiarity. And since I want to someday play with my kid(s)...well, add +3 hours/days XD

May 11th, 2018, 6:14 pm
Ninja Corps

sleepy_laughter wrote:
@Aella13 wow that was an awesome battle report! And finished in 3 hours is also wow. I also like secret passages b/c they are fun :).

We also didn't find a use for Student when we played with the Tako girls. Just like the Mastery skill from treasure, even with 6 heroes, I feel it's very rare to have a situation where you'd want/need to use it unless someone has a support Heal or Control action you need right away since it still costs action points. There's already a lot of shared actions available via potions so Student is less wow unless you specifically build a party around it (i.e. 3 students + tabbybrook for lots of extra healing).

I especially like that you used a specific NAS model for your affinity hidden shrine mystic!

How did y'all feel about the change from 4 > 6 heroes? We did it so we could have more people playing, but I think y'all do 2 players, right?
3 > 4 spawn points? When I get around to it, I want to see how it plays differently with 4 individual spawn points b/c when those spawn actions hit, like with the boss challenge, it can be so brutal. With 2 paired spawn points, it doesn't necessarily feel like 'more monsters' to me since you still only have 2 types of monsters like in 3-4 hero games.
2 mini bosses? Seem worth it? I wish there were more mini bosses in general, but the 2nd one tends to just get blown up by well equipped heroes even though they usually have both MMC bonuses.
3 > 4 tiles? I find it's an awkward layout unless you do a line, which is also tough to travel. I was thinking of trying the 2x2 layout sometime since that's how we used to play 1.0.

Using two paired spawns can be fairly difficult if you stagger them instead of stack them too. What I mean by that is that you don't put one pair on boards 1 and 2, then another pair on 3 and 4. You put one pair on 1 and 3 and the other on 2 and 4. This means that you see more large spawns as you fight one set of the paired spawners, but the second set is fully available to spawn still. Though, I've discussed elsewhere how one of the biggest "difficulty sliders" of arcade mode is what and where the spawns you pick are. On a 4 tile game, 2 paired spawners stacked up one after the other is about as easy as it gets, baring individual difficulty of spawns and speaking purely meta. The most difficult likely being 4 matching single spawns, with other configurations falling in between.

The 2x2 layout for tiles works perfectly fine, so long as you essentially "wall off" the opening between the 1st and 4th tile. The more linear nature of 2.0 makes the exact configuration of the tiles a lot less important, so long as the numerical progression across them isn't disturbed unnaturally.

May 11th, 2018, 9:09 pm
Denizen

@Usagi - I like the idea of walling off a tile. When we had 6 people and did a straight line of 4 tiles, we didn't have a plot or challenge that forced us to backtrack so folks had to get up and move around to move their minis on their activation.

These are the different combinations I can think of. I'm not sure where they'd fall difficulty wise, but this is my guess.
3-4 Hero
all different single spawns
ABC

two single shared or 1 paired spawn point
ABB
AAB
ABA

three single spawns that are the same
AAA

1. Assume single spawn on T1 is easier than paired/same spawn on T1
2. Same spawn is different from paired spawn in that it still spawns less monsters per spawn action, BUT, by having the same monsters in the spawn pool, it is more likely to spawn a full complement of gangs regardless of what's already on the board. So similar to paired spawns, they're harder to shut down.
3. Reinforce I don't think is much impacted, just Spawn b/c Reinforce only adds to what's on the board so at most I think you can add more minions to gangs that currently have orphaned minions on the board.
4. Assumption that two same spawns is weaker than a paired spawn b/c it spawns fewer gangs/monsters at a time.

5-6 Hero - a lot more options here! Like a staggering amount I feel.

All different single Spawn
ABCD

two same single spawn or one paired spawn point
AABC
ABCC
ABBC
ABCB
ABAC
ABCA

two pairs of two same single spawn and/or two paired spawn points
AABB
ABBA
ABAB

three same spawn - assume harder than two paired/same spawns
AAAB
AABA
ABAA
ABBB

Four same spawn (SDE 1.0!!!) or two same paired spawn
AAAA

The big diff. in 5-6 hero is you spawn two spawn points on T1 and T2 at start of game. So same/paired spawning points on T1 and T2 is maybe easier in comparison b/c the heroes have so many activations they can wipe out the T1/T2 spawn points that much faster.

May 11th, 2018, 9:46 pm
Bottle Cap

Hi guys, I'm Aella13's hubby. I paint the less awesome chibis in our batreps!

@Sleepy
We tend to play 4 hero games because it's easier to kit out the whole party. We usually play with a dedicated tank that we stack ARM on without a hit fixer and use threat management (grabbing wrath early with trash minions, loud slurping, and exploiting tile doors) to keep the damage on them. Our other heroes rarely get ARM unless it's a spare slot, focusing mainly on their damage stats, and even then half the time we'll bank the loot to buy a treasure later.

With 5/6 hero games we get a few added bonuses that go well with our playstyle. Quite often we will designate a support hero to pop an aura like the twilight knight (Aella hates this one!) or the minstrel that buffs/debuffs and use that as an anchor point until the order of activations forces that hero to reposition and reapply the buff.

These days we will also tend to pick a speedy hero to race through the dungeon to grab chests, position early for plot tokens and snipe off the later spawn points for phat loot. The 3rd hero activation helps us do this without compromising damage output and threat management in the early tiles.

The games go a little longer but there's more opportunity to do clever stuff on the table. One drawback, though, is that we inevitably finish the game with one pitiully undergeared hero who can't hit the broad side of a truck.

Last edited by Pdoink on May 12th, 2018, 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

May 12th, 2018, 1:24 am
Denizen

Hey Pdoink! Nice to meet you! Different topic, but how are you liking my Legends campaign?

May 12th, 2018, 1:31 am
Bottle Cap

Hi mate!

So far we've only played a few chapters but I'm finding it quite enjoyable.

I'm personally not too used to playing pre-written RP campaigns so that's a little jarring for me but nothing I can't adjust to.

May 12th, 2018, 1:41 am
Denizen

I hear ya! My wife is the same way. She loves the fighting/dungeon crawling, but non-combat encounters are a bit awkward for her. She’s having fun overall though.

May 12th, 2018, 1:54 am
Denizen

@Pdoink I really like y'all's strategy b/c I feel like that's more along the way that SDE is 'meant' to be played, but in practice I struggle to implement in my solo playthroughs b/c I have trouble sticking Wrath on my Tank and there's not always something weak enough left alive for him to attack to get Wrath (or he just completely whiffs).

Or my Scout runs ahead and gets beaten up by a Boo Booty =P. I think it may make more sense to kill the third tile spawn point to spawn the mini boss b/f looting the treasure in some cases to get the 4 Loot rather than run the risk of a Boo Booty the scout can't deal with.

I like the *idea* of a support hero and SDE:Legends is riddled with support class/abilities, but so many feel niche compared to just...moving in and hitting something. Especially in SDE:L when you get 1 action per activation.

I hope y'all give Pet Parade another try b/c Creeps are Wrath fodder for a Tank.

May 16th, 2018, 5:45 am
Denizen

SDE Arcade 2.0 3 Hero Solo (Imgur Album)

Decided to do a solo 3 hero arcade playthrough for fun since my wife decided to clean instead of playing Stuffed Fables

Heroes:
*Tusk Raider - STR/DEX Blaster/AOE/Tank - Plan was to AOE and Tank this game
*Cat Burglar - STR/DEX Heal/Utility - Plan was to loot chests, plot, and defeat deep tile spawn points.
*Fae Alchemist - WILL AOE/Support - Plan was to use potion to buff AOE when needed and *hopefully* turn into a potion raging monster :)

I decided to play fun/selfish heroes for this playthrough :D.

Spawns: Fungal Growth (T1/T3), Tribal Shrine (T2)
Bosses: Glimmerwing, Goro
Creeps: Giri (Boss)
Plot: Withering Curse - heroes without a Crystal suffer a wound. Crystals are placed at dungeon exits.
Boss Spawn: MMC 7
Playtime: ~2 hours including setup/teardown

The Fae Alchemist, Tusk Raider, and Cat Burglar take on the Fungal Growths, Tribal Stones, Glimmerwing, and Goro!

The goal was to have the Cat Burglar Pounce and Retreat to Tile 3 while picking up all the treasure chests using her Proficiency and attack Spawn Points to help control Wrath onto the Tusk Raider to Tank while the Alchemist provides buffs for AOE.

Turn 1: The Cat Burglar Retreats from a Kinoshroom to clear the way for the Tusk Raider's Blubbery Doom and Retreats from a Truffle Pig, picking up two treasure chests, scoring a +1G STR and +1R ARM treasure for the party. The Tusk Raider uses the Blubbery Doom with Secret Ingredient to crit the Okoshroom and Truffle Pigs. The Shrooms attack the Tusk Raider, but are unable to wound him past his 3R ARM. The Angry Walrus does not trigger the first Consul turn.

Turn 2: The Alchemist defeats the first Fungal Growth while remaining outside of its Soporific Cloud, triggering the Withering Curse.

Turn 2: The Tusk Raider is able to defeat the Kinoshroom with basic missile attacks, taking advantage of its Spongy to Push him towards the Tribal Stone. None of the heroes are able to collect a Plot Crystal and suffer a Wound. Angry Walrus does not trigger.

Turn 3: The Cat Burglar collects the last Treasure Chest and finds Tormented Text! Ironically, she is the only hero wounded as both the Tusk Raider and Alchemist roll 3+ stars while she rolls 2 stars! She finds +1G WILL for the Alchemist.

Turn 3: The Cat Burglar uses her Pounce and Retreat to defeat the last Fungal Growth, but doesn't have enough movement to collect a Plot Crystal. The Alchemist, not wishing to summon the Dungeon Boss collects a Plot Crystal and uses the rest of her actions to dash to Tile 2.

Turn 3: The Tusk Raider Slurps a Potion to gain Wrath just in time for Glimmerwing to spawn right on top of him! He fails to defend against her Slow AOE and is inflicted with Hex and Bane by her Unique action. There is no Fight action so luckily the Rusk Raider does not need to defend with Bane.

Turn 3: The Heroes encounter a PIT TRAP, but the Alchemist is able to find a treasure!

Turn 3: The Tribal Stone then spawns, surrounding the Tusk Raider! Angry Walrus does not trigger.

Turn 3: The Tusk Raider has decided to focus on ARM and DEX given all the STR gear has been for conflicting slots. Unfortunately he's got a bunch of status effects, too.

Turn 4: The Alchemist, with multiple WILL treasure uses her potions to defeat the Spirit Walkers and land multiple wounds on Glimmerwing with Crits. She retreats to Tile 1. The Tusk Raider activates so he can get rid of his status effects and attempt to get some Wrath so he can Tank. He drinks Secret Ingredient and uses Execute to deal Massive Damage (1B1R2G), but Hex removes his highest roll and he rolls 1 star and fails to wound :(. He is whiffs on his basic missile attack (1B2R). Due to Pit Trap, he doesn't move to avoid being wounded.

Turn 4: The Tusk Raider and Cat Burglar suffer a wound from Withering Curse. Glimmerwing and the Trolls target the Alchemist as she holds all the Wrath. Glimmerwing deals the Alchemist a few wounds, but the Trolls were not able to get in range and instead target the Tusk Raider. They are not able to wound the Tusk Raider.

Turn 4: The Challenge sets the Tusk Raider and Cat Burglar on Fire. The Spirit Walkers re-spawn. Angry Walrus doesn't trigger again!

Turn 5: The Cat Burglar collects a Plot Crystal, dashes back to Tile 2, and Pounces a Ghostfire Warrior, defeating him with a crit and rolling some Hearts to remove Fire. The Alchemist uses her potions to and basic magic attack to defeat Glimmerwing, earning another WILL treasure, defeats the rest of the Troll Chieftain's Gang with a combination of AOE and crits, and heals the Party with a ton of Hearts.

Turn 5: The Tusk Raider suffers a wound from Withering Curse, but he's mostly been healed by the party's attacks. The Spirit Walkers Surge towards the Alchemist and manage to wound her. Angry Walrus triggers for 1, but no other heroes are in range to attack.

Turn 6: The Cat Burglar defeats the Spirit Walkers and moves to Tile 1 to stay away from the Tusk Raider's Walrus.

Turn 6: The Tusk Raider defeats the Tribal Stone and gains the most Wrath. However, since he's been able to get more ARM loot or treasure, he swapped some ARM for DEX and Movement, allowing him to move to Tile 3 and position by the Sentinel to get +1 DEF.

Turn 7: Goro spawns and attacks the Tusk Raider and is able to wound him a few times. The Boss Challenge only allows a single hero to activate.

The Alchemist defeats Goro in a single activation by rolling 4R2G (8.67 avg/20 max) on 4 basic magic attacks and 2 red potion attacks to deal 12 wounds via critical success (7+)

========================================
Rules/Issues/Observations:
1. Arcade Goro is just too weak as a Dungeon Boss against a high offense party with 3 ARM. He's designed to have Giri to munch on and Signature action to munch on the heroes to heal wounds, but 3 ARM is just too easy to deal critical success on and defeat him in a single hero turn.
2. The Cat Burglar is FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN. So much Pounce/Retreat. I never used her AOE (b/c the Tusk Raider and Alchemist had easy crits with Secret Ingredient). Proficient lets her do more compared to other high mobility scout heroes.
3. The Party went through 18 Loot cards. I think I want to start tracking this. We completely killed the first Fungal Growth, the second tribal stone, the Spirit Walkers twice, and all the spawn points, which adds up to 18 loot. A full Fungal Growth is ~4 Loot and Tribal Stone is ~3 Loot so if we were 'slower' then we could've easily broken 20 Loot.
4. The Party 'went through' 11 Treasure cards and had a total of 5 eqipped at the end. Normally you go through 6 treasures from treasure chests and 1 from the mini boss, but we had extra from the Pit Trap, drawing Tormented Text, and drawing Boo Booty on the mini boss with the rest from traded Loot.
5. The Tusk Raider did pick up the last Plot Crystal and resolve the Withering Curse (no Treasure awarded), but I cannot remember when this happened.
6. Angry Walrus barely did anything this match. I was hoping I'd get some extra movement out of the Tusk Raider, but it was not to be.
7. I really wanted to do a STR/ARM Tusk Raider, but all my ARM gear conflicted with my STR gear so I ended up with a pretty strong STR Cat Burglar in the end that could crit elites pretty easily.
8. I really want to get these solo plays down to 1.5 hrs rather than 2 hrs, but I don't think that's possible with my setup since I move stuff from upstairs to downstairs and have to unpack a lot of stuff since I can't leave my toys out with the dog and toddler. I put my cards in pages and this actually really helped setup time b/c I could just take a page out of the binder, but then it was a bit tough to double check the back, mostly on spawn points, b/c I have a lot of stuff memorized, but not everything.
9. I should really start playing hard mode, but I like winning/having fun :)

May 16th, 2018, 6:09 am
Denizen

Great report once again! As soon as I find time I badly want to playtest the Tusk Raider. He seems like a great and fun model!

May 16th, 2018, 11:28 am
Denizen

Hey all! It's been awhile since I did one of these. I think this is Arcade report #13 now? For months I have wanted to get the Tusk Raider on the table in Arcade mode, but Legends-fever took hold and all my free time went into writing and completing my own big campaign. Today I was finally able to break away from everything and give the Tusk Raider some real table time. He is definitely a blast to play! So here goes...

First off, my observations of Arcade 2.0 after months away:

-I forgot some minor rules here and there, but retained the vast majority of them.
-Setup, gameplay and teardown remain fast as ever. Distractions aside, everything took place within 3 hours.
-The game remains brutal but fun. There are 6 hard mode cards, and having played two of them this time, I got to the final boss and reduced her to 4 wounds before losing.
-2 Spawn points, off the bat, ups the friction a lot. Two Mini bosses is really challenging.

Regarding the Tusk Raider:

-His Blubbery Doom ability made him highly mobile with great AoE. More so when he got the "Fizzy Beverage" card and could do it twice per turn.
-7 wounds and 2R base armor made him very sturdy when he inevitably racked up all the wrath tokens and became the sole focus of enemy attacks.
-His card may look overpowered at first glance since he starts with a Green Attack Die right of the bat, but playing him didn't feel OP. The hard mode cards may have had something to do with that.

Lastly, my insights on the Death Spectre. I didn't plan on reviewing him today, but after being brutalized by him 3 games in a row, I figured I'd bring up some observations:

-At ten squares movement, he will get to your heroes.
-He moves through walls, sees through walls, can attack through walls.
-His Soul Scythe ability often insta-kills heroes or sets them up to be finished off by another monster.
-In this game he accounted for the loss of 3 of the 5 Princess Coins the party started with.

Anyway, with that covered, here are the game highlights:

Wasting no time, the Tusk Raider advances.

Tusk Raider breaks through the enemies, and the Glimmerdusk Ranger finishes them of with a Sparkleburst.

The second tile enemies swarm the dwarf and his battle walrus. His high wound count and respectable armor allow him to hold the line.

A tough battle ensues and the Heroes find themselves trapped between two minibosses as they push to gain ground.

With Succubus Vandella out of the picture, the Tusk Raider pursues his toughest prey yet...

Before the heroes can defeat the Death Spectre, they find themselves facing Beatrix the Witch Queen. Seems the party can't catch a break...

The Death Spectre is defeated... but Beatrix and her remaining minions prove to much for the heroes. The Ember Mage falls and, with no Princess Coins to revive her, the game is over.

June 8th, 2018, 11:59 pm
Denizen

Greetings all! Finally I've sat down and played a a game of Arcade 2.0 with 3 actual players (not me solo-playing 3-4 heroes) so I figured I'd share the experience. Sweetheart Candy made her first appearance on my tabletop too. With that, here is Arcade report #14.

First my observations on playing with three players
Myself, my wife and one of my Warhammer buddies made up the 3 hero party. I took Sweetheart Candy, My wife took Fae Alchemist and my buddy took Tusk Raider. I have the most experience playing Arcade 2.0. My wife has played it once, but has played the earlier editions quite a bit. My buddy had never played any form of SDE before.

-Allowing the party to make their own decisions was important. I gave advice here and there, but leaving most decisions in the hands of the other players ensured we all had fun.

-We played the game on normal difficulty (no hard or easy cards) and lost with the Dungeon Boss down to 3 remaining wounds. This is about where my last game ended up, except I was playing with 2 hard mode cards. Dividing decision making between 3 players made the game harder, but more rewarding.

Regarding Sweetheart Candy

-Playing a DEX/Healer was fun, though her potion wasn't terribly reliable in a pinch.
-Her 'Have a Heart' ability is optimized by stacking blue dice. I don't feel a fully capitalized on this.
-I might need to experiment with her other abilities to see what she's capable of.

An additional observations
-Having a base green STR dice made Tusk Raider great for dishing out critical hits at the end game when he picked up a treasure card for +1GR, and another for +1R.
-Tetsudo Tower's Sturdy ability, combined with his 10 wounds made him very durable. Losing the ability to inflict critical wounds bought him the extra turn it took for him to wipe out the party. He's definitely a tougher boss.

So with all that said, here are the highlights:

Tusk Raider and Fae Alchemist make short work of the first tile. Sweetheart Candy moves up to support.

Tusk Raider and Sweetheart Candy push into the second tile, tackling the Fungal Growth spawning points.

Glimmerwing draws near, and the heroes find themselves fighting on two fronts.

Tusk Raider engages with Glimmerwing, but falls in the process.

With two strikes from her bow, Sweetheart Candy finishes off Glimmerwing freeing the heroes to focus on the rest of the horde.

Tetsudo Tower draws near. The heroes put up a noble fight, reducing the Dungeon Boss to only 3 wounds remaining. However the Tusk Raider falls with no Princess Coins to revive him and the party falls.

June 17th, 2018, 4:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next