View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Denizen

Thanks!

Yeah I caught her new potion ability. It could’ve saved me some heartache today. I would love it if they updated her “Feint” ability. It’s currently useless in Arcade.

For hex/bane I re-roll the highest die for heroes.

March 2nd, 2018, 5:27 am
Denizen

Feint is -1 ARM in Arcade. Effectively 1 STR in most situations, but technically stronger due to the existence of Critical Success making it easier to double their ARM.

The way I used to play it, she basically gets guaranteed wounds against 0 ARM mobs so consider which spawns you pick for difficulty vs. her.

However, if you read p16:

The offense roll wins if it rolled more stars than the monster’s Defense attribute.

This insinuates that you must roll stars. But does rolling 0 stars count for more than -1 ARM?

The rulebook doesn't explicitly state you can't lower a mob's ARM below 0 and most mobs with 0 ARM would die from any attack that dealt Bane so it doesn't come up often except when Feint is present.

March 2nd, 2018, 5:34 am
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Feint is -1 ARM in Arcade. Effectively 1 STR in most situations, but technically stronger due to the existence of Critical Success making it easier to double their ARM.

The way I used to play it, she basically gets guaranteed wounds against 0 ARM mobs so consider which spawns you pick for difficulty vs. her.

However, if you read p16:

The offense roll wins if it rolled more stars than the monster’s Defense attribute.

This insinuates that you must roll stars. But does rolling 0 stars count for more than -1 ARM?

The rulebook doesn't explicitly state you can't lower a mob's ARM below 0 and most mobs with 0 ARM would die from any attack that dealt Bane so it doesn't come up often except when Feint is present.

Tough call. Part of me wants to say that you never drop monster ARM below zero. Another part says it makes sense, since Twilight Knight seems equipped to make short work of small minion type enemies.

Where is the ruling on 'Feint' for Arcade Mode? I believe you, I just want to be able to reference it for other players.

March 2nd, 2018, 6:22 am
Denizen

It’s been the ruling since FK KS iirc.

This is an old forum thread about it.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4186

The text is from the FK KS update #92

At a casual glance it is easy to dismiss the Twilight Knight the moment you look at her combat stats. However, the Twilight Knight has a number of abilities that, with careful use, can dictate the flow of the game in dramatic ways.

Her STR is low for a Hero at a mere 1 blue and 1 red. However, this low STR is modified by two key items. The ability Feint forces any model she attacks to reroll their highest die result when making a defense roll. (Arcade: Reduce ARM by 1 star.) She also has the offensive action Piercing Blade, which at one action point hits two models allowing her to move about the combat dispatching paired monsters.

Also in that update they had the Arcade ruling for the deep wolf rider glimmer berry potion

We discovered last week that part of the Deeproot Wolfrider's potion got left off of her card — blerg. We will be addressing it in the next revision of our FAQ & Errata Document, but for now here is the errata:

1.06 Deeproot Wolf Rider Card, Glimmerberry Juice: Add, “(Arcade: Decrease STR of target enemy model's action by 2.)”

AFAIK they haven’t published a new faq that includes this info but there is another forum thread where someone got the updated twilight Knight with the ti heroes and mentioned it was on the back of her card. I think the Crown Guard mobs have feint in arcade too.

March 2nd, 2018, 8:03 am
Denizen

I was also thinking about how to best support a heavy dex or will party since the issue is usually with availability of drops. I expect the solution may just be to modify the loot and treasure deck to be appropriate for your party. I did this back when FK first came out when we decided to play no str heroes and it worked ok. Since 2.0 has a separate classic and arcade loot deck you can combine them as you see fit.

March 2nd, 2018, 8:37 am
Bottle Cap

Just another quick break from stalking the forums.
sleepy_laughter wrote:
One thing that still gets me about Arcade, going through all the old cards, is that they all have Surefoot and thus they'll stand in lava, poison, etc. and realized that greatly weakens control Heroes that could previously compel/push/pull mobs into tile effects (usually fire) and unless it's an AOE control ability, their action is generally better used on something else rather than setup for AOE.

In arcade 2.0 All monster models inherently have surefoot - so no negative tile effects affect them. Control abilities are mostly useful for disrupting gang cohesion, eg. pulling an elite away from it's minions to weaken it's attack and defence.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
How have y'all been playing status effects like Bane and Hex? Do you do what the card(s) say and the monsters get -1STR/ARM and heroes reroll a die or just everyone gets -1STR/ARM. I like the latter rule b/c it speeds up play quite a bit without having to reroll a bunch, but it's obviously in the hero's favor unless it allows them to get even more stars, which would typically be lower probability anyways.

Bane and Hex status affects cause models to discard the highest die rolled on a defence or offence roll respectively. Discard, mind you - not reroll. Yup it is really powerful. Arcade monsters do not roll dice therefore they instead suffer -1 star on the respective rolls.

March 2nd, 2018, 11:53 am
Denizen

Noir - that's a good point. I have primarily been using Pull heroes with AOE to kill all the things to avoid reprisal, but a valid method is just to nudge the elite out of gang cohesion. The minions wouldn't move/unique/fight until the next consul turn b/c they'd fall into check for stragglers and then either be removed if no elite or teleport at that point. I'm not entirely sure how efficient control effects would be compared to AOE, but I guess this could theoretically be more efficient against multi-wound models you can't destroy that turn and I think a lot of control actions are support, so don't need to roll to hit. You STILL need someone to kill mobs for loot eventually, but I definitely see the value in this strategy.

Thanks for the clarification for Bane/Hex. I must've been thinking reroll with all the talk about Feint. I'm sure Hex/Bane will have more impact on the heroes next time I play :).

March 2nd, 2018, 4:53 pm
Denizen

Finished my Fae Wood playthrough and Battle Report!

Fae Alchemist, Princess Emerald, Questing Knight, and Thundervale Huntress ventured into the Fae Wood and fought the Salt Pillar (Tile 1), Bramble Knight x2, Bashful Boris, and The Forgotten King. The theme was to fight Chimera and I felt the Salt Pillar with the Mist Hounds fit better than the mushrooms or trolls.

This was a crazy fast/short game, but I kept double checking and I think I played everything correctly in favor of the Consul.

Turn 1: The Questing Knight Lanced a Mist Hound and two Sorrows while the Thundervale Huntress procured WILL treasure for the Fae Alchemist and was able position herself to critically Trample the Salt Pillar (only take 1W from crit), two more sorrows, and both Mist Hounds while only suffering a single Predator strike using Secret Ingredient. The counter attack from the Mist Hound and Sorrows against the Huntress dealt a few wounds despite having +1B ARM loot.

Turn 2: The Fae Alchemist was able to finish off the Mist Hounds and Spawn Point using her Secret Ingredient and Unstable mixture potions while Princess Emerald was able to snipe the remaining sorrows. The Consul's plot was the Lurking Menace! (crystals follow the heroes as per elite movement and when they move over a hero, the hero's lose a princess coin. They cost an interact and 2 loot from the backpack to remove, but do not empower the Dungeon Boss). The Huntresses's Distilled Stampede allowed the heroes to make their way Tile 2 to get into position to attack the first Bramble Knight and stay out of range of the Lurking Menace. Due to the high loot from Salt Pillar (10 loot o.O), the heroes were able to trade in for 1 treasure. At this point the Fae Alchemist was quite powerful with 3 WILL equip and Emerald had 2 DEX equip while the Huntress and Knight both had 1 STR equip. Consul Turn 2 was awkward b/c there was nothing to Move > Fight > Reinforce except the Menaces.

Turn 3: The Fae Alchemist was able to get in range of the first Bramble Knight spawn and destroy it. The Huntress looted a treasure chest, removed a Lurking Menace, and with Distilled Stampede was able to make it to the doorway between Tile 2 and 3 to block it for the upcoming MMC3 spawn. Bashful Boris spawned on Tile 2 and lay a beatdown on the Fae Alchemist, but she survived. The remaining Bramble Knight on Tile 3 spawned the remaining Chimera.

Turn 4: The Questing Knight and Emerald were able to make it to Tile 2 and lay into Bashful Boris. Distilled Stampede was used once again to reposition the heroes to avoid Lurking Menace. Boris chased the Fae Alchemist and was able to land some wounds on her. All the chimera charged towards the Alchemist, but were blocked entry to Tile 2 by the Huntress and dealt her some heavy wounds.

Turn 5: Emerald finished off Boris and made her way to support the Huntress while avoiding the Lurking Menaces. The Huntress Trampled the Chimaera with Secret Ingredient and completely whiffed. She was still able to land a wound. Princess Emerald mis-gauged her distance to the Huntress and was in range of the Painful Echoes Challenge. As the Chimaera attacked the Huntress as they could not reach Emerald, the Huntress barely survived thanks to Emerald's Hunter Rations (GP) and lucky ARM rolls, but Emerald was still heavily wounded by the Painful Echoes.

Turn 6: Unfortunately at this point, there was nowhere left to maneuver to avoid the Lurking Menace and the heroes had been unable to defeat sufficient mobs to generate any loot to remove them with. With a grim face, the Alchemist moved to support the Huntress and with her powerful gear and potions, was able to heavily wound the Grobbit slew all of his Billmen as they leapt to his defense. The Questing Knight was able to squeeze past the Huntress and position himself to eliminate the Grobbit and the Frog Knights. Although the Consul had no monsters spawned, his plot was successful and the heroes lost a whopping 3 princess coins to the Lurking Menace. The rest of the turn was again awkward, b/c there were no monsters to Reinforce.

Turn 7: With one Bramble Knight (Tile 3) remaining and no monsters to bar her way, the Huntress moved to loot the last remaining treasure chest and a Boo Booty jumped out and bit her! Having never encountered these foes (in recent memory), she charged at the monster and...missed...and died to Backlash. To avenge her, the Fae Alchemist defeated the Boo Booty with a single blow (critical success) and due to having +1 action treasure, was able to then ALSO defeat the final Bramble Knight before it could spawn. The Thundervale Huntress used the heroes' next to last princess coin to join the party on Tile 2. The forest shook and the Forgotten King appeared! He stalked towards the heroes and unleashed his Fae powers at...nothing. For the heroes were prepared and out of range of his madness. (At this point all the heroes had 3 equipment except the Alchemist that had 4). Not to be outdone, the Forgotten King cast a Spiteful Curse at the heroes (Wave 3 Bane/Poison, still out of range, but only 1 hero may activate).

Turn 8: Emerald took aim and was able to land some wounds including a critical success on the Forgotten King and then retreated to avoid his impending wrath. The Forgotten King advanced, but could not find the princess, so he lashed out at the Alchemist and dealt her heavy wounds. A roar shook the trees behind the heroes. They had been flanked! Boris only suffered a Flesh Wound and was ready for vengeance.

Turn 9: The heroes were injured and running out of potions. The Alchemist only had one potion left. If they engaged Boris, they had a chance of rolling hearts and more potions, but if Boris and the Forgotten King were able to concentrate their attacks, none of the heroes were resilient enough to survive the onslaught and there was no telling what the next Boss challenge may hold. It would be possible for two heroes to fall and for the heroes to fail. The Knight and Huntress gave each other a look and both charged towards the Forgotten King. The Questing Knight took his Massive Sword, and dealt a Critical blow to the Forgotten King. While the King was reeling from the attack, the Huntress quaffed the Alchemist's last Secret Ingredient and landed the killing blow on the King. With a mighty shriek, the King's robes crumpled as he disintegrated to dust. Boris, hearing the defeat of his master retreated back into the forest to nurse his wounds and take his vengeance in the future.

Observations:
1) Salt Pillar is interesting and obviously doesn't fit into the 2.0 loot paradigm. The entire spawn point on Tile 1 is worth 10 loot compared to 6 loot if you play the Sorrows as Minions for Loot. I haven't calculated average loot per spawn yet, but I intend to do so to see just how much off this spawn is compared to others. It allowed me to snowball without having perfect rolls, which allowed the heroes access to a lot of potions to keep using Secret Ingredient. Salt Pillar is basically a glass cannon spawn point and I wonder how it'd fare if it wasn't the first spawn point or if the heroes aren't able to answer the mobs b/f they have a chance to attack. It is tied for max # of wounds per spawn (15 vs median 12.25), second highest potential offense (32 vs. 27.5 median), but has below average defense (24 vs 27 avg) and 75% of the calculated defense is from the Mist Hounds. If the Sorrows survived to a MMC Unique action, they can replenish their numbers, but I expect they are rarely going to be given this chance.

2) This was my first time playing the Fae Alchemist. Ok. I get why she's so powerful now. I previously thought her Secret Ingredient BP: +1G for next roll could only be used by herself, but since it can be used with anyone and is possible to used by each hero during their activation...well, it has a nice snowball effect. I'm so used to being potion starved, it wasn't the case with this party since every hero had red die and the party had an above average access to red dice.

3) I had not initially planned to eliminate the Tile 2 spawn point before it had a chance to spawn and I think we can all agree that although this is possible, it is also atypical. I originally intended to try this with the Huntress since she had additional movement and the movement pot, but the Alchemist only has 1 less movement and since she got a strong treasure on Tile 1, she was perfect for this plan. The Tile 2 spawn point was also off to the side and not out in the open like some tiles so I expect that it's not really an issue getting to Tile 2 and eliminating the spawn b/f MMC 3, but more of eliminating both Tile 1 and Tile 2 spawns b/f MMC 3.

4) The plot was AMAZING at how effective and flavorful it was. I have not read all the plot cards so I'm geniunely surprised when they come up and the mechanic felt really good. Next time I'm going to use Creeps (like Ghosts) instead of Crystals for the Menace b/c that feels more flavorful :). B/c my party wiped out the mobs so quickly they were loot starved and although I had extra actions, I had no loot in the backpack to eliminate the menaces. I miscalculated my wrath and paired with the Huntresses AOE whiff on Tile 3, it was the most costly mistake/Consul turn of all my playthroughs in regards to # of princess coins lost in a single turn (previously I lost two heroes in a single turn due to Mini Boss + Epic Fight and Plot rotating a tile and isolating the other). It also gave me something to do when there were no monsters to reinforce.

5) I again forgot to roll for treasure after the Plot, but in my defense, the Plot resolved itself rather than I tried to do it this time around.

6) The Boo Booty killing the Huntress with Backlash was a ::groan:: moment. I completely forgot the Boo Booty bit her when it spawned and didn't realize it had 3 whopping ARM. When I killed the Boo Booty, I drew another one, but discarded it as I was not drawing from a treasure chest (similar to the discard boo booty if you draw treasure from mini-boss kill).

7) I felt much better playing the FK heroes. Previously we played them when FK first came out and we had such bad rolls we stayed away from these heroes and kept more to the Classic Heroes. They're also painted now so now my wife wants to play the Huntress (who I have not yet told her is NOT a DEX heroine :)).

8) The Forgotten King I was very afraid of b/c in FK Arcade, you're practically always kitted out in 4 equip when he spawns and he hits like a freight truck (6 avg = 3G dice and I think we've established I'm not a fan of ARM in lieu of offense). I actually managed to save a few wounds against 5 STR which surprised even me. Due to his low movement, I was also planning to use the Huntress to Lightning Charge and Push him back so the heroes would have time to reposition, but alas, the Boss Challenge eliminated this option by reducing my hero activations and flanking us with Boris. I always felt her Lightning Charge was underpowered compared to the multitude of Lance/Charge offensive actions a bunch of the new heroes have, but she held her own and Surefoot was actually useful with all the Brambles about. Poor Tusk Raider may have a tough time on Fae Wood and Dragonpeak tiles avoiding all the bad stuff.

9) I'm on the fence on how well the game plays with 3 vs 4 heroes, but I'm surprised by how balance of a tradeoff this feels:

3 heroes:
More activations per hero
Easier to lose a hero activation if two heroes are lost on a Consul turn
Fewer models to manage/gear - easier to funnel loot

4 heroes:
More collective wounds
Access to more unique actions
Access to more potion options
Can hold more potions (sometimes this matters - potentially less wasted rolls?)
Easier to teach maybe? It seems less clunky each turn if I'm not resetting activation tokens in the middle of a hero turn, but it can always get offset due to Challenges.
More slots to equip gear
May get loot starved causing a weak link the Consul could exploit
More wrath can be stacked on a single hero making it tougher to pull threat off them

10) I might have been playing/calculating Critical Success incorrectly on previous playthroughs. I thought a Critical Success was >=2x ARM and > 5 stars when it's actually > 2x ARM. I played it correctly this match, but that means:
5 Stars crits against: 0 ARM, 1 ARM, 2 ARM
7 Stars crits against: 3 ARM
9 Stars crits against: 4 ARM
11 Stars crits against: 5 ARM
13 Stars crits against: 6 ARM

11) I think it's time I tried a hard mode, except I'm teaching some guys that having been playing Gloomhaven for the past few months to play SDE:A this week after hyping them with stories of the Tusk Raider. I do wonder how representative my matches have been of an 'average' game since I know prioritize bringing AOE heroes paired with glass cannon strategies and so far my gambles have largely have paid off. I'm used to building parties around DEX AOE since that's what my wife always plays, but I don't know which types of heroes these guys will steer towards or how well a non-balanced party will do.

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on March 8th, 2018, 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

March 4th, 2018, 7:39 am
Denizen

Good morning all! It might be awhile before I post another Arcade report. I’m working on my SD:Legends campaign. I should have the first story arc drafted and playable this month. (Approx 4 Combat encounters and 4 non-combat encounters) If anyone wants to playtest my campaign, let me know. It’s definitely more conducive to a live DM, but maybe I can work out an “Arcade style” for solo playtesters.

March 7th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Bottle Cap

You say that on turn 1 you critically trampled the salt pillar but I think I am right you can't critically hit a spawn point? Great report on the fae wood game. If you had not got taken out by the plot you would still have a good chunk of princess coins left.

March 7th, 2018, 10:46 pm
Denizen

You’re right about spawn points not suffering critical damage.

I’ve made a few mistakes in my earlier games that I didn’t catch too.
Its been great to get feedback and corrections from other members.

March 8th, 2018, 3:14 pm
Denizen

Thanks for the catch. I actually did play this correctly, just worded it poorly in the report. The mobs took crit dmg, but the spawn did not. I caught myself doing it incorrectly in an earlier playthrough and have been playing it correctly. It's just one of those unintuitive things to me that spawn points can take massive damage, but not be crit and don't count as monsters for adjacency. I have also played they do not get bonuses from the MMC, which will matter once we try out the Bandit Knight /w Counterstrike!

@Holy Cross - thanks for your contributions - I have two more reports to post, but haven't figured out how to take low enough res pics to post in the forum yet, so just text and thus not as fun to read as yours :).

I had a solo 3 Hero Von Drakk match and I had my first game /w friends with 4 Hero Kobolds/Starfire (keep it simple/easy) that was very punishing, but also memorable.

I have to pace myself to make sure I allocate enough time to painting vs. playing!

March 8th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:

@Holy Cross - thanks for your contributions - I have two more reports to post, but haven't figured out how to take low enough res pics to post in the forum yet, so just text and thus not as fun to read as yours :).

IMGUR is great for this. My wife taught me how to use it for these. I'd try a youtube tutorial first and IM me if you still cant quite get it.

March 8th, 2018, 3:58 pm
Mini-Boss

I use postimages.org. Very simple. Just select the link for message boards (640x480) and they will give you the link to paste into the forum editor.

March 8th, 2018, 4:02 pm
Denizen

Ok, cool! I think I got IMGUR to work after some headbashing and updated my old posts.

Now I wish I had taken more pics of my last few playthroughs! I'll try to remember to take more pics of my future playthroughs since I do plan to try out all the spawn points b/c I haven't actually fought all of them even on FK rules!

March 8th, 2018, 5:55 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
Ok, cool! I think I got IMGUR to work after some headbashing and updated my old posts.

Now I wish I had taken more pics of my last few playthroughs! I'll try to remember to take more pics of my future playthroughs since I do plan to try out all the spawn points b/c I haven't actually fought all of them even on FK rules!

Awesome man! I scrolled back and looked. Pics make all the difference. I like them because A) It really puts the reader in the game and B) I can type less and let the pictures speak for me.

I’m sure your next report will look great with all the pics. I might need you to help keep this thread alive while I focus on writing this Legends campaign for you all! :D

March 8th, 2018, 6:05 pm
Denizen

Von Drakk Manor Playthrough

Heroes: Von Wildling/Von Wilder, Sister of Light, Celestial Herald
Spawns: Pumpkin Patch (T1), Shallow Grave (T2/T3)
Bosses: Death Spectre, Von Drakk
Plot: The Gauntlet (2xChallenge until a hero rolls 3+ stars at T2/T3 doorway)

I forgot to take notes on the playthrough and it's been a few days, but I thought this was still worth sharing.

This was the first party I would not personally pick b/c there is no WILL hero, but I wanted to see how must faster/easier a 3 hero game played against the 4 hero games I'd been doing (and b/c I was tired :)). I'm not personally a fan of the Celestial Herald b/c I prefer to have heroes that have at least 2R or 2B1R for their primary stat in case they get loot starved, but she added non-combat value to this match!

Playthrough

Turn 1: As the heroes approached the Manor, a Crypt Spider dropped on them from the nearby mausoleum and Witches with their cadre of skull bats swooped in from the manor. The Goddess watched over the Heroes' dice and Von Wildling and Sister of Light devastated the Pumpkin Patch minions with their Judgement (Cross 4) and Holy Oil (Burst 1 Fire). Only the Crypt Spider was left standing as the last Witch burned from the Holy Oil and the heroes survived the counterattack with only Von Wildling being poisoned. The heroes found STR and WILL loot/treasure and equipped the Sister of Light with multiple R dice since she had the Healer ability.

Turn 2: The Celestial Herald and Sister of Light finished off the Crypt Spider and Pumpkin Patch, which revealed the Consul's Plot: the Manor was a Gauntlet (Plot). STR/ARM loot was drawn. There were no monsters or plot crystals to move or reinforce.

Turn 3: Von Wildling made a dash into the manor and was able to start wounding the Shallow Grave (T2) while the Celestial Herald flew over the bookcases to the T2/T3 doorway and started disarming the gauntlet. The Gauntlet traps set the heroes on fire and empowered the Skeletons and Necromancer as they spawned around Von Wildling.

Turn 4: Von Wildling and the Sister of Light used Holy Oil and Judgement to defeat the majority of the skeletons along with the first Shallow Grave (T2) due to the close confines of the library hallways, leaving Bone Piles everywhere. The Death Spectre spawned at the end of the hallway and nicked Von Wildling as the skeletons respawned in the Manor Garden (Shallow Grave (T3). More STR/WILL gear was looted.

Turn 5: The Celestial Herald disarmed the Gauntlet (forgot treasure roll again!) and made her way into the Manor Garden (T3) and started attacking the skeletons, but due to no DEX gear, her arrows were not able to find their mark. The Sister of Light finished off the necromancer and skeletons, healed Von Wildling, and she made her way toward Manor Garden (T3). The Death Spectre gravely wounded Von Wildling, but was not able to finish him off. The surviving skeletons dashed towards the Sister of Light and also wounded her. The heroes drew more WILL/ARM gear.

Turn 6: Von Wildling whipped the Death Spectre and threw Holy Oil on him despite knowing Ghosts can't catch Fire and ran for the Manor Garden (3). The Sister of Light slew the remaining skeletons and wounded the final Shallow Grave (T3). The Death Specture finished Von Wildling with his Soul Scythe. There were no elites to reinforce.

Turn 7: The Celestial Herald was able to finish the final Shallow Grave (T3) and the Sister of Light turned and used her Holy powers to defeat the Death Spectre. The heroes positioned themselves at the doorway back to the Manor Library to await the coming of Von Drakk. Von Wildling rejoined the heroes in the library. The night stilled to pure silence and Von Drakk himself stepped into the Manor Garden, extended his Undead Aura, and summoned the Pumpkin Patch Crypt Spider, Witches, and Skullbats.

Turn 8: The Witches and Skullbats were positioned around the Manor Garden Pillars in such a way that Von Wildling could not take advantage of his Von Wilder form so the Sister of Light took his Holy Oil and with Judgement, she cut a huge swathe through the Witches, Bats, and wounded the Crypt Spider. The Celestial Herald used her Heart Seeker, but was unable to finish the Crypt Spider. Von Drakk advanced and was able to wound the Sister of Light while the Crypt Spider attempted to slow Von Wildling with its webs, but he was able to evade.

Turn 9+: Von Wildling finished the Crypt Spider and the heroes and Von Drakk started to trade blows. The Sister of Light fell, but not after she had gravely wounded Von Drakk. The Celestial Herald flanked the Vampire, but her Heart Seeker was unable to pierce his dark cloak. Von Wildling continued to throw his Holy Oil, but Von Drakk was able to avoid the deadly Fire. After the Sister popped back into the Manor Garden, Von Drakk's image started to blur and he shifted to Nocturne! Despite his increased strength and armor, the Sister used her Holy powers to strike critical blows against the foul beast and his form crystallized to dust and then disintergrated into the wind.

Rules Questions/Issues

1) Forgot to roll for treasure when the Plot resolved again!

2) Forgot to shapeshift Von Drakk before executing Unique actions. Didn't impact his demise due to critical successes rolling 10+!

3) As Spawn Point 3 was destroyed prior to MMC 9, I did not give the minions +1 ARM as this is how the rulebook is worded. This obviously won't impact every match, but seems to have the most impact if the mini-boss respawns or if you are fighting high ARM spawns and are loot starved.

4) Forgot to move the Bonepiles immediately as mobs died (got it close enough). I think there are only 6 bonepiles (that's all I could find). I can see these being hilarious/devastating in a match :). I assume we don't use Rattlebones in Arcade 2.0 unless playing Pet Parade.

5) Do Graves do anything in 2.0? I didn't have any on my tiles, but I realized I wasn't sure if they'd still work/do anything.

6) Can mobs use Secret Passages? I assume yes? This could make for some entertaining/odd Arcade mob movement. Every tile I had had secret passages so it added some additional decision making on what to do. Mostly trivialized with Celestial Herald's Fly, which luckily didn't hurt her since she was not able to deal much damage the entire game.

7) Forgot Von Wildling had Alchemy and could use two potions per turn!

Notes/Observations

I'm doing better with remembering all the rules, but still missing a couple, but not enough to say I'm playing the game 'wrong'. My goal is to keep plugging away until I stop missing 'big' rules that impact the balance/flow of play and hopefully trim down my average playtime to 1.75hr (right now I'm still ~2hr..usually b/c I do these late at night when I'm really tired!). For me, it's more important to have FUN than be RIGHT (in board games), which I'm glad to say I'm still having a good time with these solo plays.

As for Arcade itself, I'm completely sold on it for solo gameplay. The variation of hero, spawns, bosses, challenges, and plots ensure each playthrough is different and so far every spawn point and boss feel like they have a distinct identity. The heroes have quite a bit of overlap (and will have more with the dupe models), but I find that the RNG for the dice rolls, loot, and tiles provide plenty of variation and it's not too hard/punishing to assemble a party of heroes YOU want to play. And as usual, the game lends itself VERY well to proxy playing if you don't want to spend $$ on additional models and can print/play the preview cards and just use a model you have.

3 hero felt a lot easier than 4 hero b/c it was easier to get relevant loot on a single hero. I didn't have a # of heroes based plot and was lucky to have a hero that could minimize the impact of the Plot. Not having a WILL character really hurt as I got a LOT of WILL gear and only 1B DEX the entire game so the Celestial Herald, despite having average baseline dice, had a ton of WILL that couldn't be utilized (this is how I feel about ARM in general). Of course, this could be alleviated if I was willing to allow the spawns to generate mobs and attempt to farm them for more loot, but since I am snagging all the treasure (minus the plot, which isn't guaranteed), I feel like hero selection matters the most for Tile 1 for your opening play, which is necessary to snowball, but then what loot/treasure you get determines how well you can manage the Mini-boss and whether you're positioned to eliminate the Tile 3 Spawn Point early to avoid the nastier MMC commands like Epic Fight and Spawn > Move > Fight.

I am noticing that one of the key components to being able to have a strong Tile 1 start is to bring a hero with an AOE red potion and ideally a potion that more than one character can use. I feel like this would be the best use case to bring 2 DEX or 2 WILL heroes that have strong red dice since the red pots are often AOE attacks that would typically cost 2 actions otherwise. If not able to bring a red pot, then a relevant blue pot with stat buff seems to be the next best thing to help ensure the success of opening AOE attacks.

I am also very aware that my matches are above average b/c I seem to do really well with my AOE attacks on Tile 1 and thus have fewer situations down the line when a clutch roll is necessary. Without a Consul to balance out my good rolls, it can feel really slanted, but also avoids the situation where one person rolls really well while the other rolls horribly and the game is no longer fun. My heroes basically avoid taking wounds for a MMC turn or two and sometimes have wasted actions trying to get to Tile 2/Tile 3 in advance of the MMC3 spawn command, and I will not atypically have a second treasure before the second spawn point has mobs in play. Surprisingly, despite chugging through the tiles/spawns so quickly, my playtime is not shorter than the target 1.5 hr min. play time and I'm still hitting 2hr+. I think a large part of this is that I'm always tired when I play and having a single person do everything and remember everything can take a lot of time! That being said, the playthroughs are still helpful for me to compare how each spawn/mini-boss WOULD play even if I'm managing to avoid the majority of the bad stuff :).

Next playthrough report will cover my first SDE: A 2.0 with ::gasp:: other real people!

March 9th, 2018, 6:08 pm
Denizen

SDE:A 2.0 4 player Intro Arcade Playthrough

I played my first non-solo game w/ the SDE:A 2.0 rules. I had some friends over that regularly play Gloomhaven (they actually canceled Gloomhaven night to come over so expectations were high!) to try out the game after I teased them with Tusk Raider, a bunch of my painted minis, and the preview PDFs. Tusk Raider just came in so I didn't have him assembled else I'm sure we would've tried him.

Heroes: Royal Paladin (Me: Heal/Blaster), Starguild Sapper (Blaster/AOE/Red Pot), One Shot (Ranged Blaster/AOE), Kunoichi Candy (AOE/Fly/Burrow pot)
Spawns: Egg Clutch (T1), Kobold Warrens (T2/T3)
Bosses: Kobold Ogre, Starfire
Plot: Curse of Decay (discard equipped gear that matches the top of loot deck end of consul turn unless holding crystal. Discard when all crystals are in hand)
Boss Spawn: MMC 11
Playtime: 3 hours (o.O)

Playthrough

MMC 1: The heroes were able to wound the drake elites and set them on fire using the Sapper's Burning Bloom, guaranteeing no reprisal on MMC 1, but they were also unable to draw loot from their demise. The first treasure yielded +1G ARM.

MMC 2: The heroes finished off the Egg Clutch, triggering the Consul Plot: Curse of Decay, and made their way to T2 to start wounding the Kobold Warrens (T2). The loot the heroes acquired crumbled to dust! The heroes resolved to hoard loot in the backpack rather than have it crumble and rely on speeding through the dungeon to pick up the crystals to end the Curse. All they had to do was make it past the chokepoint on T2...

MMC 3: The Starguild Sapper picked up the T1 crystal since he was the only one with treasure equipped. The second treasure was the Dragon Lance, which the Sapper equipped as he was the only one immune to the Curse. One-Shot finished off the Kobold Warrens (T2), which triggered the Kobold Ogre to to spawn on T2 and he moved into the chokepoint, which blocked the heroes from advancing! The kobolds spawned on T3 and made their way onto T2.

MMC 4-7: The heroes started to chip away at the Kobold Ogre's health, but without much gear and poor luck, it took several turns before the Kobold Ogre fell and dropped the Gem of Greed. In the meantime, the heroes used Candy's Ninja Pop to fly over the structures to take pot shots at the Kobolds, but were unable to clear the mobs as they kept reinforcing and respawning. One-Shot fell from a combination of the Kobold Ogre and Kobold elites cornering her away from the rest of the heroes.

MMC 8: Candy ran past the Kobolds to pick up the T2 crystal and equipped the Gem of Greed and all the WILL loot. The Royal Paladin did his best to fell the elite Kobolds before the Epic fight, but it was not enough and the Paladin also fell as the Kobolds reinforced.

MMC 9: One Shot and the Sapper rushed into T3, taking pot shots at the Kobolds trying to block their way. The Paladin popped back in on T3 beside the Sapper so he could dash for one of the final T3 crystals and stop the Curse. The Kobolds were able to heavily wound Candy back on T2, but she refused to perish!

MMC 10: One Shot and the Royal Paladin destroyed the final Kobold Warrens (T3) to summon Starfire and then rushed for the final crystals to dispel the curse. With a breath of relief, the heroes were finally able to equip their hardwon loot and be prepared for the oncoming Dragon. They also found two treasure as the Curse dispelled! The heroes were prepared for Starfire's arrival and he was unable to reach/attack any of the heroes.

MMC 11+: Candy finished off the remaining Kobolds and made her way to T3. The heroes attempted to distract Starfire while attacking his flanks and avoid his deadly flames and tail. Unfortunately the Paladin made a mistake in positioning and he perished in Fire. As the heroes attempted to reposition, the Kobold Ogre brushed off his flesh wound and re-appeared by the Sapper! The Sapper was able to survive multiple blows from Starfire and the Ogre with his equipped ARM, but the Boss Challenge prevented him from returning any Critical Success or Massive Damage. The Royal Paladin returned to the fray as Candy and One-shot opened up on StarFire and the Kobold Ogre, but were unable to fell either creature. As the Dragon and Ogre turned to follow Candy around a corner, the Sapper flew StarFire with a mighty POW! from behind. And with that, the heroes were victorious!

Rules Questions/Issues
1) Forgot to use Quick Hatch to move drakes at start of game - did not make a difference.
2) Forgot to draw the Plot immediately when first spawn destroyed rather than at Hero Power-up. If we knew it was Curse of Decay, we would potentially not have lost some equipped loot.
3) Finally remembered to roll Treasure for the Plot! We got lucky and got 2 Treasure.

Notes/Observations
This was definitely one of the toughest matches I've played thus far. Part of it was a lot of bad luck with dice rolls, but this was exacerbated by the Curse of Decay preventing us from equipping gear and the Kobold Ogre blocking us in on Tile 2, preventing us from grabbing the quest crystals to stop the plot. This, paired with Challenges that made it very difficult to defeat the Ogre extended the midgame past what I'm used to, but with some lucky rolls towards the end, we were able to spawn StarFire before MMC 12! My opinion is that the heroes should always endeavor to defeat the third spawn before MMC 12 if at all possible to avoid the

I was worried my friends wouldn't like the game b/c of the bad luck early on, but once we finally completed the plot and were able to almost fully equip everyone (Candy had 7 gear equipped due to Gem of Greed), they understood how things 'would've progressed in the midgame, and everyone was in favor of playing the game again.

It was REALLY NICE to have other people playing and coming up with different strategies/options/be responsible for dice rolls, flipping cards, etc. Although none of them had read the rulebook, they caught on quickly and would catch mistakes and/or have reminders.

The one thing they found odd was the amount of work to put wounds, auars, and debuffs on mobs that would inevitably be destroyed, but I reminded them how often we FAILED to destroy them and thus needed to track it.

Managing wrath kept everyone engaged even when it wasn't their hero turn, which was nice. My wife particularly finds wrath annoying and a punishment for blowing away the monsters so it's nice to confirm that she's an outlier.

We were particularly potion starved most of the match due to the poor rolls. We were also DEX loot starved so One-Shot felt particularly underpowered. We were only able to procure a single DEX loot between all the loot and treasure we accrued and we only lost a few loot due to mobs dying to Fire, which we needed to rely on since we were so behind.

ARM played a much bigger role and saved multiple wounds on the Sapper, but also b/c we were really only getting WILL and ARM loot for most of the game.

I'm thinking of stacking the Loot and Treasure deck when we play non-balanced parties b/c it's no fun never getting loot you can use while everyone else gets stronger and even when you trade all the loot they can't use...you just get a treasure you still can't use. I know some folks just put all the treasure together, but then the deck gets enormous and I dislike a lot of the cursed or underpowered treasure (I currently add the mini-boss and boss treasure). Based on the rulebook, you can combine the Classic, Arcade, and PVP Arena loot decks to your liking, but again, I'm not sure how much I'd like to balance it so I'll continue to think on this.

Next playthrough is....SDE:A 2.0 Fae Woods Easy Mode with my wife!

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on March 12th, 2018, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 12th, 2018, 1:07 am
Denizen

SDE:A 2.0 Wife Intro Easy Mode Playthrough

I finally got my wife to agree to a playthrough as long as 'it's quick'. As such, I prepared an easy mode scenario with some monsters she's familiar with and some new ones. Started with Salt Pillar (T1) as the standard loot pinata since the only way to fail AOE on the Sorrows is to completely whiff multiple times.

Heroes: Silver Chevalier (AOE/Blaster), Mistmourn Shaman (AOE/Heal), Glimmerdusk Ranger (Ranged AOE), Thundervale Huntress (AOE/Move pot)
Spawns: Salt Pillar (T1), Bramble Knight (T2), Fungal Growth (T3)
Bosses: Salt, Forgotten King
Easy Mode: Come Prepared (St start, draw 2 loot per hero, equip up to 1 per hero)
Plot: The Ever-Changing Maze (Randomly rotate a single tile 90 degrees at the end of every Consul turn until there are no spawning points in play. Any Heroes on the tile that rotated suffer one wound)
Boss Spawn: MMC 3 <-- Not an error
Playtime: 1.25 hrs (o.O)

Playthrough

MMC 1: The heroes all had access to additional offensive die due to Coming Prepared. The Silver Chevalier looted the treasure cheat,then did a massive Silver Star attack and defeated two Sorrows, wounding both Mist Hounds, and wounding the Salt Pillar. The Glimmerdusk Ranger Sparkleburst the Salt Pillar, defeating two more Sorrows and then killed a Mist Hound with Critical Success. The Mist Hound and Sorrows attacked the Glimmerdusk Ranger, but only scored a single wound. A key loot for this playthrough was the Cowardly Boots (Move +2, (I) Slow), which was equipped to the Thundervale Huntress.

MMC 2: The Mistmourn Shaman and Thundervale Huntress finished off the Sorrows, Mist Hound, and Salt Pillar and revealed the Consul's Plot: The Ever-Changing Maze. The Huntress looted the second treasure chest and used her potion of Distilled Stampede to move her into Tile 2 where she was able to wound the Bramble Knight. There were no monsters to move, fight or reinforce and T3 rotated as per the Consul's plot (moving the spawn point and treasure chest further away from the heroes).

MMC 3: The Glimmerdusk Ranger finished off the Bramble Knight, summoning Salt. The Thundervale Huntress again used her Distilled Stampede potion in conjunction with Surefoot to rush to the Fungal Growth and was also able to defeat it, summoning the Forgotten King. (I told my wife...are you...sure? This will spawn all the bosses? Her response: I hate spawn points. They must die). The Ever Changing Maze was defeated in record time, but the heroes did not find any treasure. Salt exploded from the sand and immediately flew towards the Ranger, furious, pulsing fire and ice around its rocky form. The Forgotten King stalked towards the Ranger, but was not able to bridge the distance so he turned his gaze towards the Huntress and dealt her heavy blows as he Knocked her Down. The Ranger suffered a few wounds from Salt's advance, but did not fall. The Boss Challenge: Spiteful Curse Poisoned and Bane'd the Thundervale Huntress and prevented more than a single hero from acting.

MMC 4+: Mistmourn Shaman rushed to the Ranger's aid as his magic attacks would allow him to stay out of Salt's maelstrom. He was able to wound Salt and gained enough Hearts to heal the Ranger and gained enough Wrath to take the Bosses' attentions off the Ranger. Salt and the Forgotten King stalked towards the Shaman and finished him before he could be given a chance to heal.

As the shaman fell, the Silver Chevalier rushed forward as the Ranger fell back while loosing arrows at Salt (to T2). Salt was greatly wounded (6/7 W), but the heroes failed to finish the Monstrosity. Salt and the Forgotten King continued to advance, wounding both the Ranger and Chevalier. Then the King vanished in a puff of smoke with his Secret Escape Plan and flanked the Ranger.

The Huntress had been unable to heal her Poison or Knockdown as the other heroes fought, so she picked herself up and rushed back into the fray. With her last action, she attacked Salt from behind and he exploded into dust as he was finally defeated. The Chevalier threw herself again at the King, intent on dealing enough wounds and gaining enough wrath to take his attention from the Ranger. The King cackled as he blocked all her attacks and then turned to deal with the Ranger. He face grew red with rage as his own attacks were similarly deflected by the Ranger! With a clap of thunder, the King raised his Faithful Servants, and Okoshrooms, Kinoshrooms, and Truffle Pigs quickly surrounded the heroes, cutting all the heroes off from each other except the Shaman and Chevalier.

The Ranger continued to fire arrows at the Forgotten King and a few found their mark. She continued to fall back through the forest (to T1). The Shaman determined his best course of action would be to minimize the Consul's reprisal so he used his Ancestral Will to Push the Truffle Pigs together and turned them into Bacon with a Critical Success of Outcast Pyre. Having drawn the Consul's attention, he ran as far as he could to pull the monsters away from the Ranger. Unfortunately it was not far enough as the Mushrooms easily caught up with him and the Forgotten King cut off his escape. The Shaman again fell. As the Shaman's crumpled form blinked out of existence, Salt once again exploded from the ground next to the Huntress.

The Huntress, livid with rage, smote the Forgotten King from behind and then fell back (to T3) to avoid Salt's maelstrom. The Silver Chevalier also attacked the Forgotten King, but she, too, was unable to deal him a deadly blow. She fell back to hide from Salt's impending maelstrom. The Shaman blinked back into the Fae Woods by the Ranger. The King, though heavily wounded, was still intent on the Ranger and stalked after her while the Mushrooms bounced in soporific rage after him. As he came around the bend, he was enraged that he could not find the Ranger, but, confused, found the Shaman again and levied his attacks against the troll. The Shaman, having had enough of death, finally defended against the Forgotten King's attack and did not fall (literally his first successful defense roll vs. STR5 the entire game).

The Shaman, then took his Voodoo Doll and blew magic blast after magic blast into the Forgotten King until the King's form shuddered and turned to stone. With the King's demise, the mushrooms bounced away and Salt retreated back to the Fae Coast.

Rules Questions/Issues
1) I played Predator incorrectly. Mist Hounds should have had additional attacks (2) against the Silver Chevalier as she moved into position. Do not expect this would have changed outcome.
2) I assume Mini-boss spawns first, then the Dungeon boss, meaning that the Dungeon boss spawned further away. Expect this is not a typical scenario.
3) I learned that the Mistmourn Shaman's Regenerate, can only be used by the hero drinking the potion, and it can only heal wounds and it cannot heal status effects. This messed up some of our plans since we were so used to having green Heal potions and the Shaman was dead so often, the heroes could not access his potion when needed.
4) My heroes did a lot of running away. I had to be very careful with LOS and remembering that small models do not block LOS to large models and vice versa as both bosses were spurting off AOE's every Consul turn.

Notes/Observations
The spawn points were dead in probably the first 15m due to the Thundervale Huntress + Cowardly Boots (26 Move over 2 activations and 2 Melee Range) and the majority of the match was fighting the bosses. I hugely underestimated my wife's hyperaggressive response to spawn points (You mean I can attack it? Ok, I'm doing that. Die spawn point die!)

I selected the Forgotten King to offset Easy Mode and the Salt Pillar and I was not dissappointed in how deadly he was. Unsurprisingly, the heroes had a lot of loot, but were loot starved for the 'right' loot and the Glimmerdusk Ranger never got any DEX treasure so we were reliant on just hitting the bosses rather than Critical Success. We rolled plenty of misses and basically had to chip away at the King's high 10 W health.

Most of the treasure was WILL treasure, which didn't help when the Shaman was dead so often. In hindsight it would've been better to sacrifice the Ranger and let the Shaman get his attacks in, but my wife is extremely adverse to any of her heroes dying and I want her to play with me again. She did feel bad about the Shaman being dead all the time, but I explained that statistically, he should've saved at least once and then been able to heal on his activation with Tough, but I just rolled extremely poorly.

My wife was very angry when the Mushrooms spawned and Salt re-spawned. She's played with boss timeout before so she is supposed to be used to mobs spawning when the boss is half health, but it's been a couple of years and she thought it was unfair that the bad guys (re)spawned despite her killing them/killing their spawn point. I explained to her that we didn't HAVE to kill them if we were able to finish off the Forgotten King before the other monsters could kill us, which was tougher for her to accept since FK boss fights tended to just be a slug fest of your heroes in full treasure/loot just blasting the boss until it was dead. I am personally happy with these challenges b/c they all feel meaningful, even if there aren't all that many Boss Challenges, and depending on when you get them, it doesn't necessarily change the baseline goal of that turn, which is generally defeat the Dungeon Boss.

March 12th, 2018, 4:11 am
Denizen

SDE:A 2.0 Tusk Raider Playthrough

I finally found some time to try the Tusk Raider in a playthrough. His Walrus was Angry. A lot. I also (finally) played with the Trolls, Glimmerwing, and Goro.

I finally got my wife to agree to a playthrough as long as 'it's quick'. As such, I prepared an easy mode scenario with some monsters she's familiar with and some new ones. Started with Salt Pillar (T1) as the standard loot pinata since the only way to fail AOE on the Sorrows is to completely whiff multiple times.

Heroes: Silver Chevalier (AOE/Blaster), Mistmourn Shaman (AOE/Heal), Tusk Raider (Ranged/AOE/Blaster)
Spawns: Salt Pillar (T1), Fungal Growth (T2), Tribal Stone (T3)
Bosses: Glimmerwing, Goro
Plot: Ward of Protection (Place two crystals adjacent to each remaining spawn point. Spawn points do not suffer wounds as long as they have adjacent crystals.)
Boss Spawn: MMC 7
Playtime: 2+ hrs

Playthrough
The board is set up! I found this set up is not too bad for solo play, but the counters are out of reach for group play so I will be trying a different setup with my next co-op playthrough to see how it goes.

The first tile is covered in difficult terrain and structures making it a bit difficult to traverse.

The Tusk Raider is able to bypass the difficult terrain using The Blubbery Doom (Lance 6) to Charge into the open squares. The Silver Chevalier is able to avoid the Predator attack and eliminates a swathe of Sorrows with Silver Star (Cross 3)

However, Angry Walrus immediately attacks the Silver Chevalier, who is able to defend against his tusks with her spear.

The Heroes finish off the rest of the Salt Pillar gang and move on to Tile 2.

Unfortunately, due to the Wards of Protection, the Heroes are only able to remove the crystals on the Fungal Growth, succumbing to its Slow Aura, and are not able to defeat it on their activation.

Mushrooms and Pigs attack! The Tusk Raider again uses Blubbery Doom to position himself away from the other heroes to avoid attacking his allies with Angry Walrus and to block the dungeon exit from Glimmerwing. He harasses the mobs with his ranged harpoon attack. The Silver Chevalier once again uses Silver Cross to clear out some minions, but is not able to move far due to being inundated with Slow.

The Trolls spawn on Tile 3!

Challenge! Only a single hero is able to activate and the Shaman is able to clear the spawn point and elites and makes a stand on Tile 3.

The Shaman is only partially successful at blocking one gang of trolls. The elites Surge past him onto the Chevalier. Glimmerwing spawns at the far end of Tile 2.

The Shaman and Chevalier are able to dispose of some of the trolls and retreat into Tile 3 to avoid Glimmerwing's onslaught.

The Heroes make a gamble and remove the final Wards of Protection and defeat the Tribal Stone, summoning Goro. The final treasure chest also turned into a Boo Booty

Unsurprisingly, the Shaman and Chevalier fall to the combined attacks of Goro, Glimmerwing, and the trolls. They spend their Princess Coins to pop into play on Tile 2 by the Tusk Raider, who has been furiously festooning Glimmerwing with harpoons.

Glimmerwing falls to the Tusk Raider's ranged harpoon attacks. The Raider retreats and is also able to Drag and Chomp the final Troll elite away from his expendable minions.

Although having no minions to snack on, Goro is still hungry and starts snacking on the Tusk Raider! The Boo Booty also finally makes it to Tile 2.

Goro is defeated, despite summoning giris (not pictured), due to excessive number of Critical Success by the Chevalier and Shaman!

Rules Questions/Issues
1) Assume Predator does not trigger on Charge as it is a Place action. So if a model uses Charge (or even Pounce), it is not a Move action and thus assume 'thematically' that the model moves too quickly for the Predator to attack.
2) Assume Drag and Chomp, when it hits, will Pull 4 and then Wound the target so when the Wound resolves, no expendable minions are in range.
3) Assume Slow only halves the models Move for purposes of their activation and does not impact movement given by Angry Walrus or other effects.
4) Assume Knockdown prevents Angry Walrus from moving and removes the Knockdown token.
5) Still sometimes forget to do ALL the unique actions on bosses. Almost missed spawning the Giri!
6) If Drag and Chomp misses the DEX attack, does the Tusk Raider still get to Chomp if the mob is in range? I was thinking yes based on how it was worded.
7) Can you Lance Charge over a Chasm? Based on the wording, the answer is YES and would also allow you to hit models Flying over a chasm
8) (related to Fly) What happens to a model with Fly over a structure or chasm that loses Fly? I can't find a ruling in FK or SDE 2.0. IIRC, I think in SDE 1.0 they suffer a wound and are placed on the board in the closest open square.
9) When placing a large base model from Charge, does only a single square of the base or the entire base need to be inside the Lance 6 AOE? I think the appropriate answer is YES, but based on how it's worded, it does not specifically say the entire model like it does on certain other abilities.

Notes/Observations
Trolls
The Trolls were definitely tough, but not as tough as I thought they'd be. They definitely pack a punch and it's maddening their loot per wound/spawn ratio is so low, which is exacerbated by every model having Tough so you really need to focus fire them or literally light them on Fire (but then no loot!). At least for the Chieftain, there was no way I was able to make a dent in his HP b/w his minions and Tough until I got the Tusk Raider in range to Pull him from the rest of his Gang and then finish him off.

Glimmerwing
Glimmerwing's model is so cool. I am somewhat sad that he's only a mini-boss since I think his model is more impressive than the original Starfire. He was difficult in this match to handle since there were also the trolls to deal with, but again, once the Tusk Raider was able to focus on him, he fell rather quickly as I spawned the boss before he could benefit from the MMC +1 ARM.

Goro
I really like Goro's concept, but was a little dissappointed by his difficulty. I basically avoided fighting him as he'd heal himself and I didn't find an opportunity to wound him and have him then snack on/eat a Troll minion. Boss Unique actions I feel are much less common in SDE:A 2.0 so it's not a guarantee that the he'll spawn Giri to snack on, but when he does, it CAN be impressive. He has a lot of wounds, but only 3 ARM, so it wasn't too difficult to roll 7 Stars to chunk down his high health and he didn't summon Giris soon enough to snack on to repair his health.

Tusk Raider
This wasn't in the playthrough, but the Angry Walrus attacked the Chevalier multiple times during the game and actually wounded her twice. I often used Rage Musk to get in extra attacks when I could on the Chevalier when she was in position and as such, there was only a turn or two that the Angry Walrus was not active, but there were a few where no allied Hero was in range to attack. It felt very silly and fun, but of course I didn't have a situation where the Angry Walrus killed off an allied Hero since he can crit just off his base dice of 1B1G STR.

I ended up building him as primarily a glass cannon DEX hero and only gave him redundant STR loot the Chevalier didn't need. This ended up working in my favor since he has low movement and can't get very far unless you commit to using the Blubbery Doom to Charge him up to an additional 6 squares. Drag and Chomp ended up being more powerful than expected since I realized it can disrupt gangs to avoid expendable minions and both the Drag and Chomp and melee attack can roll Critical Success (which is how the Tusk Raider ended up defeating Glimmerwing and the Troll Chieftain in a single activation).

He surprisingly felt versatile and strong, but not so strong that I'd put him on the same level as Malya or Ninja Cola. His low movement and large base can be mitigated by his Charge to 'skip' difficult terrain. I actually had Surefoot equipment for a brief period of the match that helped. Also, if you can position the allied heroes well, Angry Walrus can actually end up being bonus movement and avoid being attacked. The funny thing about Rage-Inducing Musk is that it can last through multiple Consul activations since it's not removed until the hero that used it activates again.

Angry Walrus is a bigger tradeoff in Explore, IMO, since in Arcade, you forecast how the Walrus will move. In Arcade, the Consul could purposefully move the Tusk Raider into Tile effects in addition to attacking the Heroes.

I think a raw STR based Tusk Raider is stronger than DEX based since the Tusk Raider can then use Berserk on himself and can still use Drag and Chomp just for its Pull 4. likewise, it makes Blubbery Doom stronger, which is actually quite a decent movement ability. If you gave the Tusk Raider an additional action, then he could Blubbery Doom twice in addition to his 5 movement, allowing him to travel an impressive 17 squares. I ended up with 3R2G DEX and 1B1R1G STR at the end of the match, which is will above average compared to my other playthroughs.

Ultimately I enjoyed playing him and expect I'll come back to him again after I try out more heroes.

Last edited by sleepy_laughter on March 20th, 2018, 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

March 20th, 2018, 6:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next