View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2018, 12:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Playtesting Super Dungeon Arcade 2.0 
Ninja Corps

It's always good to see losses in arcade. I mean that in a positive way. :P

If it was a win all the time scenario, it would be boring. Actually seeing losses (and that difficulty cards can help customize handicap) makes sure that the games actually have some tension to them.

Good report, as always. Dunno how your candy is painted. Mine isn't even glued together still. XD

June 17th, 2018, 8:04 am
Denizen

Usagi wrote:
It's always good to see losses in arcade. I mean that in a positive way. :P

If it was a win all the time scenario, it would be boring. Actually seeing losses (and that difficulty cards can help customize handicap) makes sure that the games actually have some tension to them.

Good report, as always. Dunno how your candy is painted. Mine isn't even glued together still. XD

I love the difficulty of Arcade. Playing with a group it was great to play without hard mode cards and let them make mistakes. 6 hard mode cards (and so many combinations of monsters/mini bosses/Dungeon Bosses) give this great replay value for a regular SDE group. :)

June 17th, 2018, 4:04 pm
Mini-Boss

I'm actually a bit surprised you lost with such a strong party make-up, but as you said, having 3 individual players and not overly coaching them makes a big difference. Even with Fae Alchemist and Tusk Raider, I wonder if y'all had poor dice rolls or maybe just inexperienced combat choices?

I'm interested in how many times the Tusk Raider turned around and thwacked the Fae Alchemist and your wife gave your friend a death glare XD.

And...although you call this normal mode, I will point out that you put paired spawns on Tile 1 and 3 in addition to fighting Testudo Tower for the dungeon boss. This makes for a tough Tile 1 if you don't have the AOE to clear the elites (and you started on the lake tile) and unless you have a highly mobile hero pop over to tile 2 or 3 to kill the spawn point b/f all spawns spawn, you're almost guaranteeing a giant wave on Tile 2.

What Plot did you get? I've found the plot is often a big variable in the difficulty of Arcade.

As for Glimmerwing and Testudo, I've found the best stratey we had was to have our glass cannons dunk his HP from range outside of Wave and Lance and just let a single hero (with hopefully enough wounds) just soak the wounds and potentially die/eat a princess coin. I only saw the Tusk Raider die on the earlier tile so you should have had 3 other princess coins in the bank -- all used on Testudo? Or did you have mishaps from Candy's spotty healing elsewhere?

It is a bit bizarre to see Testudo without Rocktops on the tiles beforehand, but I guess there is no Rocktop synergy in Arcade ^^;;

June 17th, 2018, 4:26 pm
Denizen

sleepy_laughter wrote:
I'm actually a bit surprised you lost with such a strong party make-up, but as you said, having 3 individual players and not overly coaching them makes a big difference. Even with Fae Alchemist and Tusk Raider, I wonder if y'all had poor dice rolls or maybe just inexperienced combat choices?^^;;

It mostly came down to my friend being inexperienced and my wife being out of practice. I could've given them all the right answers but then it becomes a game of "do what I say then roll dice." Katie and Adam made a bunch of mistakes, but I'd rather let them make mistakes and lose, than I exist as a safety net and they don't make any decisions themselves.

Tusk Raider didn't thwack the party too bad btw :lol:

sleepy_laughter wrote:
What Plot did you get? I've found the plot is often a big variable in the difficulty of Arcade.

Plot was The Gauntlet. We had to draw double the number of Challenge cards.

sleepy_laughter wrote:
As for Glimmerwing and Testudo, I've found the best stratey we had was to have our glass cannons dunk his HP from range outside of Wave and Lance and just let a single hero (with hopefully enough wounds) just soak the wounds and potentially die/eat a princess coin. I only saw the Tusk Raider die on the earlier tile so you should have had 3 other princess coins in the bank -- all used on Testudo? Or did you have mishaps from Candy's spotty healing elsewhere?

We were down to one Princess Coin by the time Tetsudo Tower showed up. 2 Tusk Raider deaths and a Fae Alchemist death. By the time he showed up we just didn't have the staying power and my buddy tried to tank him.

June 18th, 2018, 1:02 am
Denizen

**Bump**
Greetings all! Finally I've sat down and played a a game of Arcade 2.0 with 3 actual players (not me solo-playing 3-4 heroes) so I figured I'd share the experience. Sweetheart Candy made her first appearance on my tabletop too. With that, here is Arcade report #14.

First my observations on playing with three players
Myself, my wife and one of my Warhammer buddies made up the 3 hero party. I took Sweetheart Candy, My wife took Fae Alchemist and my buddy took Tusk Raider. I have the most experience playing Arcade 2.0. My wife has played it once, but has played the earlier editions quite a bit. My buddy had never played any form of SDE before.

-Allowing the party to make their own decisions was important. I gave advice here and there, but leaving most decisions in the hands of the other players ensured we all had fun.

-We played the game on normal difficulty (no hard or easy cards) and lost with the Dungeon Boss down to 3 remaining wounds. This is about where my last game ended up, except I was playing with 2 hard mode cards. Dividing decision making between 3 players made the game harder, but more rewarding.

Regarding Sweetheart Candy

-Playing a DEX/Healer was fun, though her potion wasn't terribly reliable in a pinch.
-Her 'Have a Heart' ability is optimized by stacking blue dice. I don't feel a fully capitalized on this.
-I might need to experiment with her other abilities to see what she's capable of.

An additional observations
-Having a base green STR dice made Tusk Raider great for dishing out critical hits at the end game when he picked up a treasure card for +1GR, and another for +1R.
-Tetsudo Tower's Sturdy ability, combined with his 10 wounds made him very durable. Losing the ability to inflict critical wounds bought him the extra turn it took for him to wipe out the party. He's definitely a tougher boss.

So with all that said, here are the highlights:

Tusk Raider and Fae Alchemist make short work of the first tile. Sweetheart Candy moves up to support.

Tusk Raider and Sweetheart Candy push into the second tile, tackling the Fungal Growth spawning points.

Glimmerwing draws near, and the heroes find themselves fighting on two fronts.

Tusk Raider engages with Glimmerwing, but falls in the process.

With two strikes from her bow, Sweetheart Candy finishes off Glimmerwing freeing the heroes to focus on the rest of the horde.

Tetsudo Tower draws near. The heroes put up a noble fight, reducing the Dungeon Boss to only 3 wounds remaining. However the Tusk Raider falls with no Princess Coins to revive him and the party falls.

June 18th, 2018, 2:32 am
Employee

It's really cool to see threads like this!

If you guys want some stuff that is coming out to test, I'll drop a few things here. For any feedback, please email me (see signature).

ONIBABA
Oni Dungeon Boss
Citrine/Ruby

Move: 6
Actions: 4
STR: 5
ARM: 4
Range: 6
Hearts: 9

Scavenger: If a monster with Scavenger discards equipment from a Hero, place the equipment next to the monster. The monster gains +1W STR for each equipment discarded in this way.

(blue) Feed, My Children: All other monsters perform the Fight command.

(red) Crippling Miasma: Wave 4, Bane

(red) Devouring Horror: If this inflicts a wound, discard a random equipment from the target (shuffle them and draw one randomly without looking).

IJIN MADOUSHI
Solo Paired Spawning Point
Citrine

Move: 2
Actions: 1
STR: 2
ARM: 1
Range: 2
Hearts: 3

Solo Paired Spawn: This solo is also a spawning point with the spawning pool listed below. It follows commands as if it were a solo, and spawns as if it were a paired spawning point. When this solo receives the move command, it moves directly away from the closest Hero.

Rampage: A model with Rampage gains +1W while making offensive actions for each spawning point that was destroyed this game.

Spawning Pool:
2 x Ijin Madoushi (paired spawning point)
3 x Ijin Kaiken
2 x Ijin Yajiri
2 x Ijin Oni
3 x Ijin Kunoichi

Cards:
1 x A Crush of Ijin
1 x Ijin Hunting Party

(blue) Blood Frenzy: Augment, all other Ijin gangs on this tile gain Massive Damage to all of their attacks this turn.

IJIN CHUNIN
Ijin Mini-Boss
Citrine

Actions: 2
STR: 4
ARM: 3
Range: 2
Hearts: 7

Rampage: A model with Rampage gains +1W while making offensive actions for each spawning point that was destroyed this game.

(blue) Howl: The closest other gang with the Rampage ability immediately performs the fight command.

(red) Double Slash: Massive Damage

(red) Finish The Weak: This attack gains +1W STR for each wound on the target.

A CRUSH OF IJIN
Arcade Gang

Actions: 1/2
STR: 2/3
Range: 2/2

Citrine

Elite: Ijin Oni
Hearts: 2
ARM: 2

Bonded Minion: Ijin Kaiken
Hearts: 1
ARM: 0
(red) Overwhelming Assault: Massive Damage

IJIN HUNTING PARTY
Arcade Gang

Actions: 1/1
STR: 1/2
Range: 6/6

Emerald

Elite: Ijin Yajiri
(red) You Can't Run: +2W STR, Immobile

Bonded Minion: Ijin Kunoichi

Note: Rampage adds blue rather than white in explore/arena.

Enjoy!

Email: justin.gibbs@ninjadivision.com

June 26th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Minion

Thanks for the content Justin! Really loving having the Ninjas/Ronin available for SDE. Can't wait to get a game in with them.

June 27th, 2018, 2:38 am
Mini-Boss

SDE 2.0 Battle Report /w Celestial Healer, Rock Singer, Dragon Blade, and Tabbybrook Mage vs Glimmerwing and Beatrix

https://imgur.com/a/vJBvFTi

September 10th, 2018, 6:30 am
Dungeon Boss

sleepy_laughter wrote:
I'm actually a bit surprised you lost with such a strong party make-up, but as you said, having 3 individual players and not overly coaching them makes a big difference. Even with Fae Alchemist and Tusk Raider, I wonder if y'all had poor dice rolls or maybe just inexperienced combat choices?

While the Tusk Raider and Fae Alchemist are both top tier characters, they're also both more complex to play than other characters, so it is easy for new players to screw them up.

I've just printed off the new materials, and I'll be going the same very soon.

I guess I need to paint up my Ijin and Onibaba now.

September 19th, 2018, 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I know the question I am going to make is not regarding Arcade, but I can´t think on where to put it to look for an answer.

Regarding the spawning of Creeps, we know that some of them are self spawned aka the rattlebones, giris and ghosts, but without using the explore cards that summon creeps like squirrels, slimes or demolitions experts, How does one makes them appear on the field?

I have this doubt since Testudo Tower comes with his little gang of kamikaze turtles that are a nice gimmick, I was wondering how do they appear in the field if I play using the recent rules in which the explore card is no longer in use?

I appreciate any help regarding this matter.

November 22nd, 2018, 3:13 am
Dungeon Boss

The new rules for creeps (along with pets) are part of the Pet Parade expansion now.

That expansion comes with a set of Arcade Plot cards that spawn creeps, and the creeps play a part in the plot (for example, you may have to kill some creeps before a hero can deal damage ot a spawn point).

If you shuffle these cards in with all of the other plot cards, they will come up sometimes. Of course, you can use only the creep plots if you want to be sure to use them.

In addition, some bosses spawn the creeps that come with them.

In addition, every creep can also be played as a pet (you bring the pets into play by paying a cost in loot cards).

November 22nd, 2018, 6:44 am
Profile WWW
Dungeon Boss

Played an arcade game this weekend.

Party- Kunoichi Candy, Tusk Raider and Sebastian Cross
Spawn Points- Bramble Knight and Hidden Temple Shrine
Mini boss- Tanchyo Chunin
Boss- Goro

The heroes were off to a good start. Since we had a bunch of Chimera blocking the way to the first spawn point, we went after the second shrine first.

We destroyed it very quickly and the resulting plot kept us from healing until we collected some crystals located in inconvenient places.

The Tusk raider went back to fight his way through the chimera, but ended up using up our first princess coin. Eventually he was able to lay waste to the first spawn point, and was soon dispatched by the Tanchyo Chunin (two coins down).

Overall, we were able to keep well ahead of the Mighty Monster chart- destroying the final spawn point right after the monsters got their universal +1 attack.

While we got enough loot to equip everyone, we didn't draw them evenly. Candy got a lot of Dex gear, and was very much our most survivable character. We never once got any armor gear, so both Cross and the Tusk Raider were made of glass (but since they both did loads of damage, they drew plenty of agro).

When Goro spawned, we found that he was killing a hero every turn, but our strength suped up heroes hit him with plenty of critical hits. We barely finished him off with zero princess coins remaining.

November 22nd, 2018, 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

wow, nice, close game! Which elemental affinity did you use for the ninjas? Have you played the Tanchyo Chunin with the Tanchyo spawn point? I wondered how balanced the Chunin would be without their spawn since they tend to be beastly with their clan ninja on the board.

No ARM gear?! that's RNG for you -- using Shrine ninja I think also reduces the number of models on the board and thus how much loot you can draw. I personally prefer glass cannon builds, but it sounds like you got one of the tougher plots and also didn't bring a hero with a heal potion (so I guess it didn't make much difference).

I've found Goro is one of the easier dungeon bosses due to Critical Success rule since he has relatively low ARM and can't heal it back fast enough b/c he can't control spawning Giri like in Classic, but it also depends on what boss challenge cards he pulls.

November 24th, 2018, 3:49 am
Bottle Cap

Another question:

How do you count the 8 bit monsters that has 2 hearts for the loot tracker?

Our consul keeps using them and since it is an 8 bit it only counts as one skull worth for the loot meter and it is preventing us from getting loot as they are night impossible to kill and he keeps spamming other things and cripple the hero game.

Wouldnt they count as 2 skulls for the loot tracker as they have 2 hearts?

Also, when a monster unit attacks it turns ends? or can it move other spaces as long as it has movements lefts?

November 29th, 2018, 4:40 am
Ninja Corps

exnato wrote:
Another question:

Our consul keeps using them and since it is an 8 bit it only counts as one skull worth for the loot meter and it is preventing us from getting loot as they are night impossible to kill and he keeps spamming other things and cripple the hero game.

Also, when a monster unit attacks it turns ends? or can it move other spaces as long as it has movements lefts?

Sounds like he's using the tribal stone with the trolls. They are just a serious pain in the !SODA! and stymie loot like crazy. The rule is that 3 8 bit monsters are good for 1 loot. THat's it, it doesn't matter how many hearts or anything they have. The tribal stone is a very hard spawn to play against, especially as the first spawn. You may want to talk to the consul player and see if they want to actually try a gave where they aren't playing easy mode with the tribal stone to get something different really. Other spawns have 2 heart 8bit monsters, but they aren't nearly as harsh. Like the dragon spawners with hatchlings.

I would address the problem as a lack of variety in play, not a riles problem. It's not a rule problem, technically.

For the last bit, monsters effectively act just like heroes, they can move, act, move, act, etc. until they run out of both movement and action points. If their turn ended when they acted, lot of multi-action point monsters would be pointless.

November 29th, 2018, 9:21 am
Bottle Cap

Usagi wrote:
exnato wrote:
Another question:

Sounds like he's using the tribal stone with the trolls. They are just a serious pain in the !SODA! and stymie loot like crazy. The rule is that 3 8 bit monsters are good for 1 loot. THat's it, it doesn't matter how many hearts or anything they have. The tribal stone is a very hard spawn to play against, especially as the first spawn. You may want to talk to the consul player and see if they want to actually try a gave where they aren't playing easy mode with the tribal stone to get something different really. Other spawns have 2 heart 8bit monsters, but they aren't nearly as harsh. Like the dragon spawners with hatchlings.

I would address the problem as a lack of variety in play, not a riles problem. It's not a rule problem, technically.

For the last bit, monsters effectively act just like heroes, they can move, act, move, act, etc. until they run out of both movement and action points. If their turn ended when they acted, lot of multi-action point monsters would be pointless.

As a matter of fact he did. Cursed trolls and the Kitsune warband (that territorial and the blowdart kitsunes are a pain).
We have talked to the consul regarding that matter that is hard as a 1st spawn but the consul doesn´t want to understand.

We were thinking that they might be worth 2 skull points or that it stock up, because losing them at the end of turns is a bit sad.

Also, the critical works both ways?

November 29th, 2018, 3:02 pm
Mini-Boss

Trolls (first tile) and kitsune is a really strong Consul team (and designed to be as such). Trolls are typically balanced by having a Salt Pillar /w easier loot from Sorrows, but obviously as separate spawn points that's not mandatory to include them.

if your consul isn't interested in playing at a difficulty that both heroes and consul enjoy, you may need to consider a new consul/asking them to play heroes sometimes or adding house rules so playing together is fun. For us, we just don't play the combos that are unfortunately quite unbalanced. Doing something like letting Trolls count as 2 minions might help.

Critical Success works both ways in Classic 2.0. in arcade 2.0 monsters do not deal critical success since they don't roll dice.

November 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Dungeon Boss

We rolled for the Ninja abilities and got Void Shrine Ninjas. Ultimately, I think that the void ability isn't the most dangerous one (that prize probably goes for the Spirit or Fire shrines).

The trolls are always a lot of loot denial. Remember that you get a loot for every elite that you kill, but you're pretty much guaranteed to never see loot from the minion trolls.

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

- Not all things are equal. While razor balance is best for some games, in a co-op game, it is a different story. Some of the monsters (and heroes) are just tougher than others. This works perfectly in Arcade.

- I've found that the game works quite well if you don't really try to farm enemies. Especially with the loot denial spawn points like the trolls, you're best just taking out the spawn points quickly (you actually get more loot for it).

- It isn't necessarily the best idea to go after the first spawn point first- so some of the crazier movement options can really help you out. If your heroes can rush off to the second or third one right away (especially if they can get the extra movement for it) that can give you a really solid edge- AND you get a decent bundle of loot cards along with it. The same goes for rushing the treasure chests- especially the later ones.

November 29th, 2018, 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

I appreciate everyones answers. Will keep them in mind and if something else comes up I will post my doubts in here.

November 30th, 2018, 12:07 am
Mini-Boss

Battle Report SDE 2.0 Arcade 4 hero solo

Celestial Healer, Sweetheart Candy, House Phoenix Pugilist, and Thundervale Huntress vs. Bramble Knight, Old Growth Hollow, Hecate Vilehorn and Forgotten King.

Part 1: https://imgur.com/a/7J1R01n

Part 2: https://imgur.com/a/X7NZEtK

December 11th, 2018, 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12