View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19th, 2017, 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The optimists' thread (yeah, we do exist!) 
Bottle Cap

Alright, let me be very honest: I have avoided the forums here more and more in the last months after reading thread after thread of negative comments, some deserved, some not so much. In the present state of things, I guess it was predictable. I'm not here to make the apology of SPM or ND, I think they did it quite well themselves. You may call me whatever names you want, White Knight, easy to please, fanboy, I don't care.

What I care about is Super Dungeon Explore (/Arcade /Legend /Arena). The sculpts compendium from a couple weeks ago was a real treat for the eyes, and yesterday's update actually got me excited again! I thought I'd have to wait for the actual boxes to arrive to my door to start playing the 2.0 version. Instead, we now have pretty much the whole wave 1 contents in PDF format.

All. The. Cards.

I'm thrilled. This week-end, I'm printing the loot and treasure decks, the MMC and anything else relevant. There is no way I could get my wife to play with Playtest-level material ("no image? pffff..."). Now I can.

So, here it is. For those who are able to enjoy what they get and appreciate, whatever happened, the game SPM created, come and share your enthousiasm, this forum needs it, and Deke, Justin and the gang certainly deserve it. :)

October 26th, 2017, 4:09 pm
Mini-Boss

I didn't go through the cards individually yet. Did they make some big changes to the stuff from the core set?

October 26th, 2017, 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Denizen

cards do look nice. Some of the updated art (like Starfire) I don't like but pretty nice. Love the Design for the Relic cards

October 27th, 2017, 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Consul

Where did you find ALL the card again? :)

October 28th, 2017, 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Mini-Boss

Last update?

October 28th, 2017, 11:01 am
Consul

Argh... that blue text is so-called links? And I can click on them with my mouse?

Gaaargh! Hi, I'm new to the Internets - and apparently blind!

:lol: :roll:

October 28th, 2017, 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Minion

I'll admit I've been a part of the "negative camp" and frankly I wont apologise for that, especially following the RRI business as a non US backer which is still on going. I greatly admire this group and think some much needed positivity is a good thing. I'd be very surprised if anyone insulted you for your aims, we are all adults here (I'd assume so kickstarters are expensive!). Frankly I'm still very very very keen to receive my products and no matter how high my personal salt pile has gotten I've had no interest in requesting a refund, if anything any negative comment comes from a place of such love for the hobby and the brand. I just feel that ND needed to hear all of our complaints to right the wrongs. What they were doing was unsustainable.
I'm going to sprinkle my positivity by saying that, despite popular opinion to be put off by how Legends is turning into an "RPG-lite" this is EXACTLY what I want and I couldn't be more exited for it as product. Legends is shaping up to be very thing I hoped for any more.

Check out my blog: https://thelandofaporia.wordpress.com/

October 28th, 2017, 12:04 pm
Denizen

Wait, those PDFs have artwork?!
[/leaves a cloud of dust behind]

October 28th, 2017, 4:15 pm
Minion

+1 to wanting Legends as an RPG lite. I couldn't stand the wait anymore so I started writing my own campaign for friends (we had a Halloween-themed trek into the Witches' manor last night, where Succubus Vandella tricked my players into freeing her from a magical cage) but writing scenarios is incredibly time-consuming and it would be really nice to start seeing some of those digital adventures soon.

October 29th, 2017, 8:06 am
Bottle Cap

Rainthezangoose wrote:
I'll admit I've been a part of the "negative camp" and frankly I wont apologise for that, especially following the RRI business as a non US backer which is still on going. I greatly admire this group and think some much needed positivity is a good thing. I'd be very surprised if anyone insulted you for your aims, we are all adults here (I'd assume so kickstarters are expensive!). Frankly I'm still very very very keen to receive my products and no matter how high my personal salt pile has gotten I've had no interest in requesting a refund, if anything any negative comment comes from a place of such love for the hobby and the brand. I just feel that ND needed to hear all of our complaints to right the wrongs. What they were doing was unsustainable.
I'm going to sprinkle my positivity by saying that, despite popular opinion to be put off by how Legends is turning into an "RPG-lite" this is EXACTLY what I want and I couldn't be more exited for it as product. Legends is shaping up to be very thing I hoped for any more.

Yes, the RPG-Lite is also what I was most eager to see emerge, for 2 main reasons :
- I love the world they created for SDE, and double-love the characters. I have Descent among other miniatures games, but SDE is, well... It sparked something for my inner kid I guess?
- I've been wanting to play a simple yet fun RPG with my wife for some years now, yet kids, jobs, house maintenance and pretty much everything real-life-related has been in the way. Now, already having all the material and knowing the basics already for the core game, I can see that happening now. Hoorray!

About the loooooonngg wait: it has been some kind of a roller-coaster with a long, long and slow straight line in the middle, something to kill the buzz of the ride really, but then I feel the train is climbing again, and the excitement, for me, is really coming back for the final stretch. We've seen what's coming and it looks !SODA! fun!

October 30th, 2017, 6:21 pm
Bottle Cap

Love the latest update. I'm glad we got a sneak peek at all the awesome cards. Love the human spawns - I'm really looking forward to doing a 'backward' game with humans/ninjas vs. the hero versions of mini bosses in the next couple of weekends :D

October 30th, 2017, 9:05 pm
Minion

dc_decrypt wrote:
Love the latest update. I'm glad we got a sneak peek at all the awesome cards. Love the human spawns - I'm really looking forward to doing a 'backward' game with humans/ninjas vs. the hero versions of mini bosses in the next couple of weekends :D

I'm really looking forward to the crown guard too. The possibilities are endless. Making use of them in legends, what you said, using them in arcade so the good hero's don't look odd fighting with monsters, or heck if you wanna get really creative what about making a variety of normal play but hero's vs 2 extra spawn points but the heros also get the crown guard as a friendly minions. Something like that. (Also the sculpts are amazing)

October 30th, 2017, 10:54 pm
Minion

Rainthezangoose wrote:
dc_decrypt wrote:

I'm really looking forward to the crown guard too. The possibilities are endless. Making use of them in legends, what you said, using them in arcade so the good hero's don't look odd fighting with monsters, or heck if you wanna get really creative what about making a variety of normal play but hero's vs 2 extra spawn points but the heros also get the crown guard as a friendly minions. Something like that. (Also the sculpts are amazing)

Couldnt you hammer out something from the Arena rules, just with a few more single figures on both sides? Heroes and Crown Guard fighting to control a vital part of the castle as the Consul invades. Similar sides, maybe using the "Hero" versions of mini-bosses if playing with a Consul for balance.

October 30th, 2017, 11:57 pm
Minion

Danteire wrote:
Rainthezangoose wrote:
dc_decrypt wrote:

Couldnt you hammer out something from the Arena rules, just with a few more single figures on both sides? Heroes and Crown Guard fighting to control a vital part of the castle as the Consul invades. Similar sides, maybe using the "Hero" versions of mini-bosses if playing with a Consul for balance.

Hey mate when I said arcade I ment arena. XD
My bad but I think my comment makes more sense now.

October 31st, 2017, 11:24 am
Bottle Cap

I've been looking forward to today. It's November 1st, when the September 29th update on the KS said that they were going to begin physical manufacturing.

November 2nd, 2017, 1:43 am
Bottle Cap

So I've played 3 games with the Sanctioned Witch now, and I must say I really like her. Her cheap 1 action heals meant I could keep everyone ticking, and her area of effect attack was doing crazy damage after some nice loot. Can't wait for the first wave of stuff! Oh and we have been using the new arcade rules, which is even more fun :)

November 4th, 2017, 1:25 am
Bottle Cap

Im with you OP. I am more familiar with the backer comments on the Kickstarter. The place is toxic AF.

Myself I have been quietly biding my time, Disappointed with the delays of course, but on the flip side happy with the extensive beta testing and what appears to be an extended dev cycle all the products have gone through.

I have been thinking of making a trollish video pointing out some of the ridiculousness there is in the community.

November 4th, 2017, 4:20 pm
Denizen

Chilly- While I agree, that would be just being as bad as the prats in the first place.

It's nothing new.. I can't think of many communities which don't have this kinda problem

November 5th, 2017, 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Bottle Cap

ManicMan wrote:
Chilly- While I agree, that would be just being as bad as the prats in the first place.

It's nothing new.. I can't think of many communities which don't have this kinda problem

Very true. I don't know if it's because I've been on the receiving end in the past on some totally personal and unrelated projects, but while reading through the comments, every time I couldn't help but think that Internet is such a facilitator in this regard by creating a distance between the "critics" and the subject of the critics. Not that humans are altogether known for their tolerance, but the screens separating people seem to exacerbate an already unconstructive habit.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, this is supposed to be THE HAPPY THREAD, right? :D

MC-Chill wrote:
Im with you OP. I am more familiar with the backer comments on the Kickstarter. The place is toxic AF.

Myself I have been quietly biding my time, Disappointed with the delays of course, but on the flip side happy with the extensive beta testing and what appears to be an extended dev cycle all the products have gone through.

I have been thinking of making a trollish video pointing out some of the ridiculousness there is in the community.

Couldn't agree more about the revamping of the rules. This project always reminds me of the triangle of choices in project management. It is oversimplifying, yet the essence of it remains true wherever I work.

Here is the image : Image

You get to pick only ONE SIDE of the triangle, so only 2 options will be available to you, whatever project you're on. You want good quality and fast delivery ? It's gonna cost you. You want quality with a reasonable cost ? It's gonna take time. You want a low cost project delivered quickly ? Alright, but you'll have to be flexible about the level of quality you expect.

We got a huge amount of minis, cards and boards for a price that seems very fair (and way lower than retail), so the low cost is set in stone. Then we have to choose between a product delivered quickly, or a product that shines with a high level of polish (quality). Time was the KS proposition. This position has been revised for reasons explained north to south, east to west, and changed to a better quality product. Seeing that change, and understanding that changes are part of the risks inherent to KS projects, as it is not a pre-order platform, notwithstanding what most companies do with it now, I personally applaud the hard decisions made.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is: it's all a simple shift in the triangle, no biggie, y'know? :P

Now, I've had a look at all the minis we're going to get. More than once. And a few favorites emerged, solely based on the sculpt, the pose, the general looks and impression they give. So many great ones! But for me, there is one I can'T wait to unwrap, clean, prime and paint : the Moonspire Guardian :

Yes, Mother Noctua is awesome and has been hand-sculpted (WHAT ?!?), yes Ymnaur is totally badass, yes the spiders have 8 legs, or most of them (...), yes Alicorn Nethercorn is both awesome and hilarious, yadda yadda yadda. I don't care. MOONSPIRE GUARDIAN for the win!

Thanks for reading. Any non-sensical sentences you may have read has nothing to do with my english being a second language, rather it is you who did not read properly. Because in my head it makes complete sense :D

November 6th, 2017, 5:21 pm
Denizen

Makes sense to me.
I get a little 'Oh hell, Now look what I got to paint in one piece' but it's a minor thing. I'm getting a bit more bold with my willingness and skill to hack models apart for a decent paint ^_^

Hard to say my favourite really.. Digital sculpts have a softer feel to the edges which can look nice but can be a real pain to get a nice line division compared to hand sculpted but that's a minor issue.. Nether Imps look easy to paint (if you go via official art) cause.. like slimes, they are kinda meant to be that colour.. so it's mostly a shading job..

I think the Female Deeproot Druid just about makes it out to the best cause of the Cat tongue. a bit like how I liked the Angry bear having the plaster on his back ^_^

November 6th, 2017, 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next