View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20th, 2017, 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Advice for a new player 
Bottle Cap

I played this game for my first time recently and I loved it.
If you were starting from scratch what would you buy?
I have sent an email asking if it was still possible to get in on the Completionist tier of the Kickstarter but I realize that probably isn't going to happen.

Should I wait for 2nd edition? What are the odds of them redoing the cards of the current content?

A local store has Von Drakk Manor at retail price but I imagine the reason it is currently out of print is because they are going to update the cards and remake it. Should I wait?

I have seen many amazing painted miniature pictures in these forums. Are there any official paint guides? Any advice on getting started for someone who has never painted?

October 16th, 2017, 12:14 am
Consul

No idea what shenanigans they'll pull with the current releases...

As for painting, this set: http://sodapopminiatures.com/new-releases/super-dungeon-explore-dungeon-painter
has the fundamental paints for beginners AND an official painting guide by Mike McVey of Games Workshop/'Eavy Metal fame.

My tips'n'tricks:

* Buy a white primer for your minis. Paint sticks better to a primer and white is the easiest to work with for beginners. I prefer Games Workshop over Army Painter for this particular job.
* Thin your paint by dipping your brush in water thin wipe once on tissue. It will be moist but not dripping wet. Then light dip in the paint.
* Better two thin layers of paint than one too thick.
* Start by painting all the base colors on your mini.
* Mix a darker version of the base colors and paint shadows on the underside of all objects and in all crevasses.
* Simple mix of base color + black is okay in most cases. Skintones and yellow; use brown instead.
* Mix light versions of the base colors and apply to the top of objects and generally raised areas.

That's something to get you started I guess.
Don't be afraid to ask about specifics. There's a lot of great painters in here.
Post pictures of WIPs if you get stuck. Ask how to move on from where you are :)

October 16th, 2017, 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Ninja Corps

Depending on how patient you are:

1) Buy Forgotten King. There aren't any major functional changes to the cards in that box, and it comes with 5 heroes, a boss, two mini bosses, 4 spawn points, six double-sided tiles and a very snazzy storage box you'll want if you grow your collection. If you can find it on amazon or eBay for $75 after shipping, it is still a great content pack. It will come with an entire set of tokens, dice and loot & treasure cards to work into anything that comes later. Not to mention it will have 6 pets that you'll be able to use with Pet Parade when it releases. You can get the full 2nd edition printable rules for both Explore and Arcade right now,to replace the (v1.5) Forgotten King rules, or just play with those until the new game drops.

2) Wait for SDE 2.0. I think you will be able to get Explore and Arcade around Feb/Mar next year. It may be that you can find a fun, lightly used 1st edition (the old CoolMiniOrNot version), and try your hand at painting while you wait for the new box, with all of the updated cards.

October 17th, 2017, 2:00 am
Bottle Cap

Get forgoten king (some going cheap on ebay) for painting tipes thers a amazing girl on you tube call aella13 she has loads of great tips

Weres got von drakk in? I know a lot off ppl are after it

October 17th, 2017, 2:43 pm
Minion

I've been reviewing Super Dungeon Explore with expansions so if you want to check out those videos to help you decide on another purchase then feel free to view them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... l8nKJ2_0vP

October 17th, 2017, 2:48 pm
Bottle Cap

Thank you for all the tips.

I am going to try and locate some local active players and then I will probably purchase the Forgotten King set.

I am still waiting to hear back from info@sodapopminiatures.com on my request to purchase the Completionist level of the kick starter.

http://ninjadivision.com/super-dungeon- ... n-legends/ says:
"The Super Dungeon Legends Kickstarter is over, but you can still become a backer at the Soda Pop Store!"
But the link is broken.

Has anyone had any success recently backing the campaign?

October 18th, 2017, 5:34 am
Mini-Boss

My advice: take it easy. Search for Black Friday / Clearance / Promotional Sale Price on retail and avoid Preorder / SPM webstore / ND Kickstarters unless you don't bother yourself to wait for a long time to receive your toys and fear the lack of availability of some item on retail.

Why?
Preorder --> may be stucked by the company to release, the preorder price can be higher than a normal price, clearance or promotional sale of an available product;
SPM Webstore --> the company is drowned with unanswered emails because of many issues, like Kickstarters.
ND Kickstarters --> multiple unfulfilled campaigns and a recent stumbling to deliver Rail Raiders Infinite and the price to be a backer isn't so attractive if compare it to a promotional sale or clearance.

“Our patience will achieve more than your force.” - Edmund Burke

October 18th, 2017, 1:16 pm
Bottle Cap

KS pledges are closed for a long time now, and they are not accepting any news pledges.
Everything will be available retail (except boo box and coin i assume). So for playable bits you just have to buy from the spm store or other retail source.
This is the answer they gave me when i asked about getting in on the kickstarter early this summer. Perhaps with all the refunds coming in they will reconsider opening the pledge manager to new backers, but realistically they would benefit just selling retail as the price would be higher that way. Out own fault for not backing at the correct time!

October 19th, 2017, 12:17 am
Minion

jez79 wrote:
KS pledges are closed for a long time now, and they are not accepting any news pledges.
Everything will be available retail (except boo box and coin i assume). So for playable bits you just have to buy from the spm store or other retail source.
This is the answer they gave me when i asked about getting in on the kickstarter early this summer. Perhaps with all the refunds coming in they will reconsider opening the pledge manager to new backers, but realistically they would benefit just selling retail as the price would be higher that way. Out own fault for not backing at the correct time!

;) I wouldn't feel to bad about missing the Kickstarter. Paying alittle extra at retail is worth it, when a lot of us have had the product and the brand soured as a result of it.

Check out my blog: https://thelandofaporia.wordpress.com/

October 19th, 2017, 10:50 am
Bottle Cap

jez79 wrote:

Thank you for the information. Had I known about this game back then I probably would have backed it. I would probably also be as angry as many of the backers due to the long delay. It really makes you question whether it is worth backing a Kickstarter.

If you cannot get them to respond when you are trying to give them money I can only imagine what it is like trying to get support. It would be nice to at least get an answer to my inquiry.

October 19th, 2017, 8:27 pm
Minion

The angry people are the ones making lots of noise. I'm doing just fine and I'm really looking forward to getting the game.

One thing I can provide advice right now - get Von Drakk if you can find it. God only knows if it will be reprinted or when. You'll still need a copy of the full game, because that's just an expansion, but man that one is getting hard to find.

October 20th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Bottle Cap

InfinityMax wrote:
The angry people are the ones making lots of noise. I'm doing just fine and I'm really looking forward to getting the game.

One thing I can provide advice right now - get Von Drakk if you can find it. God only knows if it will be reprinted or when. You'll still need a copy of the full game, because that's just an expansion, but man that one is getting hard to find.

I still need to find local players to play with. I have been considering buying it and possibly leaving it sealed for now. I am sure I could sell it for a profit on eBay if worst came to worst and I couldn't find any players in Tucson.

Do they have a policy about not reprinting or have they said that they won't reprint old sets? I think they have already reprinted one of the expansions right?

October 21st, 2017, 12:34 am
Ninja Corps

Apostate wrote:
InfinityMax wrote:

I still need to find local players to play with. I have been considering buying it and possibly leaving it sealed for now. I am sure I could sell it for a profit on eBay if worst came to worst and I couldn't find any players in Tucson.

Do they have a policy about not reprinting or have they said that they won't reprint old sets? I think they have already reprinted one of the expansions right?

reprinting Von Drakk will probably happen. When it will happen is the biggest question mark when it comes to that reprint. The Roxor reprint came out just on the leading edge of the legends development stuff, along with the boss, Tetsudo Tower. But, since then, more time and effort has gone into the development, and little has been seen in the way or retail releases. It will probably come out after the legends kickstarter is all finished up. But that will be a while yet. And, then, there is all the content from that that wants to hit retail as well. You can't flood the market with a ton of new releases at once. So, it may be mixed into a release schedule somewhere. it may come after all the kickstarter stuff has gone retail, there's really no way to tell at this point.

It's also hard to tell what it will be as well. The Roxor reprint was a bit of an awkward re-release. It had a couple new sculpts of old minis, but most of them were the same sculpts. Then it had slightly changed rules for some of the monsters. But was still the same feel. So, the look and the feel were changed, but not seriously overhauled, making it a awkward thing to buy if you had already bought the previously released set. This new Von Drakk may be the same way. So, getting a set now may set you up for that awkwardness down the road. But, not getting and older version now may make that down the road be way down the road.

Overall, Von Drakk is a pretty cool set. But, there is plenty of other content besides it, as well. I wouldn't consider it something core to the experience of the game. More just something that expands options. It is pretty essential if you want to do undead themed games. Without it, your choices are pretty slim and non varying. But, there are other themes. There's also no need to play with a theme, necessarily, either. I often don't really play with a theme because i'm more interested in variety in games over making sure all the monsters are purple. It's all a choice based on personal taste. there's not really a right or wrong way to go about it.

On the plus side, even alone the co-op rules should be very slid to play with. It shouldn't be too hard to track down the most recent beta version of the 2.0 arcade (co-op) rules to use (with some printing and cutting out of cards and such) until the new arcade version get's it's full release.

October 21st, 2017, 1:34 pm
Bottle Cap

Ha, Von Drakk is first on my SDE buy list because of it's undead theme! This and great minis, but most of SDE minis are cool. But not all have undead theme. ;)

Anyway, you've made some good observations Usagi. It's possible that reprint will also be a re-release of a kind with updated rules and maybe some minis. If that is the case, I guess it would take more time to reappear. Balancing for new rules might be worth the wait. If SPM thinks it needs the update.

October 21st, 2017, 11:01 pm
Denizen

c2h5oc2h5 wrote:
Ha, Von Drakk is first on my SDE buy list because of it's undead theme! This and great minis, but most of SDE minis are cool. But not all have undead theme. ;)

Anyway, you've made some good observations Usagi. It's possible that reprint will also be a re-release of a kind with updated rules and maybe some minis. If that is the case, I guess it would take more time to reappear. Balancing for new rules might be worth the wait. If SPM thinks it needs the update.

Von Drakk and stilt town are still two of my favorite boxes because of the theme and models. The tiles and minis are hilariously done and so much fun.

November 8th, 2017, 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]