View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 17th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Which expansions for The Forgotten King 
Bottle Cap

Hello,
i have The Forgotten King. Can i use every Super Dungeon Explore expansion with this game or only special ones?
I play only the arcade mode, which expansion is there the most important one?
Regards dianteli

September 17th, 2017, 1:57 pm
Denizen

You can use expansions if they have their 2.0 profile cards included (some expansions like Von Drak manor might still have 1.0 cards if you buy them from someone else than Ninja Division).

I would recommand buying expansions including Bosses as it will change a lot your games. Picking some more heroes could also be handy.

September 18th, 2017, 12:49 pm
Bottle Cap

Abbadhon wrote:
You can use expansions if they have their 2.0 profile cards included (some expansions like Von Drak manor might still have 1.0 cards if you buy them from someone else than Ninja Division).

I would recommand buying expansions including Bosses as it will change a lot your games. Picking some more heroes could also be handy.

To start, there's always the 1.0 conversion card pack. It includes updated version of all the cards prior to Forgotten King. It's not terribly expensive, $15 I believe, but it has become a bit of a challenge to find. I located a copy using boardgameprices.com (I am not affiliated with them, nor do I profit in any way if you use their site).

I would strongly agree with the assertion that additional bosses are a great benefit to the game. Forgotten King comes with a wide variety of bosses... So long as you're okay with using The Forgotten King or The Forgotten King. Alternatively, the game also includes The Forgotten King.

Even with a degree of selection for choosing mini bosses and mobs, fighting the same final boss every time really limited the fun of this game for me at first. Every round felt "samey" until I obtained more of them to switch things up.

The Caverns of Roxor (now in a lovely 2.0 variety) includes, well, the boss Roxor. As well as a lot of fire and lava themed enemies. Its a really nice change of theme from the forest theme of FK, and you get a lot for the price tag. At the same time, I recognize that these large level sets can be a bit hard to budget -fortunately, there are cheaper solutions to the boss issue.

There are two bosses who were produced at the same time as Forgotten King, I wasn't a backer but I believe these were included as a bonus for those who backed the Kickstarter. They weren't exclusive by any means, and can easily be found online. They typically range from $16-20 each, and include cards for both modes of play, as well as a small army of thematically fitting "creeps" (though admittedly, these come up INCREDIBLY rarely for me in actual Arcade play, I can't speak to the 'Classic' vs mode as I don't play it.)

The two I bosses I'm referring to and would recommend most are:
-Goro (Reminds me very much of an angry/evil Totoro parody)
-Beatrix the Witch Queen (Thematically harkens a child's viewpoint of Halloween, in a good way)

These are the oldest ones still available, they fit really well with FK, and they open up more variety in gameplay/strategy.

SPM has since released an additional boss pack, Testudo Tower, which builds upon the thematic turtles from 'Roxor. Given the number of turtle themed enemies included with Caverns of Roxor, this boss honestly makes more sense to me than Roxor himself does, though I'm not sure I feel he brings all too much new to the table. That's a personal opinion though, and I'm sure their are others who may disagree.

1.0 included the Von Drakk Manor level pack, but you would want to be careful about this, to make sure you get the right version. If you don't have the conversion kit, then you obviously need the revised version of this pack. Most retailers don't really seem to know which they have, but that's okay -if you see a Von Drakk Manor product that includes tiles, it's the 1.0 version. If it doesn't indicate any tiles are included, that's the revised 2.0 version. Yes, this means you won't get tiles, but the tiles from 1.0 aren't compatible with updated tile sets anyway. If you really want the haunted house style tyles, they are sold separately now in a pack that includes a set of creeps as well. With the conversion card pack, either version will obviously be fine, though keep in mind the old tiles still won't fit in with more recent tiles.

As the warband expansions go, my recommendation is to look at what models are included in each. The enemy gangs in Caverns of Roxor are sold separately in two different packs -yes, they're the same enemies and near as I can tell they're even the same models and poses. I got the smaller packs on sale, so it wasn't quite as much of a letdown, but still a bit disappointing to just get more of the same. The other thing to be wary of, if you're looking for variety, is what I'll politely call "reskinned" enemies. I've seen a lot of crossover, where two warbands include a lot of the same enemy molds, just in different colors. Personally I don't care if one is red and the other is teal, an angry cat miniature still looks like an angry cat miniature. Perhaps I would feel differently if I painted each to look differently(?) Either way, if you want a wide variety of models it's something to look out for.

I realize that this may be a bit of information overload, I apologize if that is the case. If you do have any questions though, feel free to reply here or message me privately. I'm always happy to assist. Getting into this game was a bit of a beast for me at first, so I can relate to the confusion a newer player might feel.

September 18th, 2017, 5:22 pm
Bottle Cap

Thx for your answers, and no it was not to much information. As a new player i cant get enough information about the game. I have to order my games and expansions online, so it could be difficult to get the correct version (version 2.0 in my case i think). And i have to get it in the german version, that want make it easier. So the search goes on ...
Thx a lot

September 18th, 2017, 7:30 pm
Denizen

TheHandsomeDan wrote:
1.0 included the Von Drakk Manor level pack, but you would want to be careful about this, to make sure you get the right version. If you don't have the conversion kit, then you obviously need the revised version of this pack. Most retailers don't really seem to know which they have, but that's okay -if you see a Von Drakk Manor product that includes tiles, it's the 1.0 version. If it doesn't indicate any tiles are included, that's the revised 2.0 version. Yes, this means you won't get tiles, but the tiles from 1.0 aren't compatible with updated tile sets anyway. If you really want the haunted house style tyles, they are sold separately now in a pack that includes a set of creeps as well. With the conversion card pack, either version will obviously be fine, though keep in mind the old tiles still won't fit in with more recent tiles.

Von Drakk 1.0 didn't have any tiles, the only tiles prior to the Forgotten King KS were in the base game. 1.0 had the Rattle Bones, while the 2.0 moved them to the tile pack, but the easiest way to tell it's 2.0 Von Drakk is the clear plastic window.

September 18th, 2017, 8:13 pm
Mini-Boss

I'd recommend the level boxes, too. Von Drakk and Roxor, namely.
Goro is great, haven't tried him in 2.0, though.

Testudo plays great, btw. If maybe a bit hard on the heroes.

September 18th, 2017, 8:26 pm
Bottle Cap

Thx for your help, now i have to look where to get them in europe without paying very high for shipping, and hopefully in german language.

September 23rd, 2017, 7:18 pm
Bottle Cap

You can easily order most expansions that are available in German at the Ulisses Webstore which has free shipping to Germany. I won't post a link here since I'm not sure about board rules.

September 25th, 2017, 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]